Exclusive

Castle First Look: Season 7 Poster Tells a Story of a Bride... and Gloom

Castle Finale Car Crash

The bride wore… a look of concern, in TVLine’s exclusive first look at the key art for Season 7 of Castle.

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites, Including Castle

When the ABC swerves left off in May, bride Kate Beckett’s walk down the aisle was detoured by an urgent phone call, alerting her to the fact that husband-to-be Rick Castle’s car had been found on a roadside, engulfed in flames. Season 6 closed with Kate racing to the scene, in her wedding dress, to witness firsthand the wreck.

RELATED Exclusive: Is Castle (Again) Heading for a Wedding?

Season 7 (premiering Monday, Sept. 29 at 10/9c) picks up immediately thereafter, with Kate making at least one key discovery about the “deadly” crash.

Check out the Season 7 poster, then share your latest theories on what exactly happened to Rick.

Castle Season 7 Rick Car Crash

1. AD says:

I wasn’t a fan of the finale but hope they make an interesting plot. That being said, I love the poster!! :) :)

• Kate says:

This is their best poster. They usually over do the photoshop to a degree that looks like an intern did it. This is good though.

• rowan77 says:

You are so right they make Stana look like she’s made of plastic and Nathan always looks like he’s drawn in, they way they do it. They are two gorgeous people. They don’t need that much airbrushing. This one is very cool and more artistic than the usual poster.

I wonder what would happen if they made a poster where they barely photoshopped anything on them (a blemish here, evening out skin tone a little). I bet the fans would love it – and the actors would see that we love them as they are – not made to look like they’re made by Mattel.

• Grey says:

Ditto to what “AD” said.

• Yes, the poster is at least as cool as the situation is idiotic.

2. Tran says:

With a new show runner on board, let’s hope the season opener won’t disappoint us.

• MKS says:

Sadly David Amann is Marlowe 2.0. Don’t expect anything different.

• Justin says:

And you know this how?

• MKS says:

Because Amann has been Marlowe’s right hand man since season 3.

• Annie says:

That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s totally on board with all Marlowe’s decisions, though. I still have hope this Titanic can be steered away from that massive finale iceberg.

• Give him a chance and we will see.

• MKS says:

Actually I am right. If AWM is no longer the showrunner then why is he always interviewed saying what will happen? If he’s not on control then why talk to him? You all will find out real soon that all of this changing of the guard was nothing more than smoke and mirrors. If none of you honestly think AWM doesn’t have a say, I have Swamp land to sell you. (in the know in more ways than one)

• DL says:

I don’t get it. Yes, the finale twist was a bit cheap, but everything that’s been said about this season indicates we’re finally moving into major Rick Castle mythology mode, now that Beckett’s major storyline has been resolved. I’d think that’s something to be celebrated. Not that I disliked the Beckett-centric storylines, since I adore Stana Katic and her character, but I feel this is an exciting new chapter for the show, and I, for one, am stoked.

• Katherine215 says:

It’s much “cooler” to find fault and criticize and claim you’re being “realistic” than it is to actually, I don’t know, wait and see what happens and even be optimistic about it.

• S. says:

I think we need to have a group hug. So glad to hear people say this stuff. I nearly avoided the comments because the standard haters always love to go ‘oh I’m soooo not excited about this show anymore, it’s awful now, blah blah blah…’ The “In Marlowe We Trust” doesn’t evaporate that easily. They resolved Bracken/Kate and now we get some Rick mythology. I’m excited. This is a fantastic poster. David’s done some great episodes and, I must note, Amann is the guy who wrote the 3XK eps AND the post-Always ep. He gets how to handle that stuff. Obviously Marlowe’s vision was behind all that, but David executed it. He knows how, and Marlowe’s still around. We’ll be fine.

• MKS says:

• Jake says:

Nope, it’s not “cooler”, that’s a very dismissive and douchey thing to say. No, Marlowe could have had the wedding, then done his new mythology, but he didn’t. What he did was postpone what everybody was waiting for with cheap gimmickry in the finale. That’s why people are being critical..

• Harvey says:

Jake, can’t find a reply button on your comment so commenting here. Marlowe couldn’t have started the new mythology just after the wedding, I mean, as it’s something about Castle’s past, something Beckett doesn’t know, it would have been wrong to tell that to Beckett’s character after the marriage, that would have brought Castle down a lot. Real mistake is to not open up Castle’s mythology before.

• Cindy says:

I agree Katherine215!!

• Jill says:

I’m excited about it, too. Frankly, I have always thought the show was a bit corny, but its part of why I love it. After a long day, a murder mystery with a bit of humor is a welcome reprieve. In the same vein as an Agatha Christie mystery.

• judi rosenau says:

I agree completely. So much carnage in the world, a good “love angle with corn” is perfect end to a busy day.

• Anne Spradlin says:

Yes! You’re absolutely right about that. I have to admit I’m a fan of the cozy, and nobody did it better than Christie. Castle is in the same vein which is probably why I like it so much. Of course, looking at Nathan Fillion isn’t bad either.

• Talita Silva says:

And still lack the unsolved story of 3XK, and his revenge againt Rick.

• carbono says:

Waaaaaay stoked!!

• MKS says:

The problem with this new mythology is that it should have been done back at the beginning.

• DarkDefender says:

Nah.. I think the timing is right. They needed Beckett to grow up and away from the need to solve her mothers murder over her own Happiness (icing on that cake – they gave her the solve anyway) and now we can actually get into the Dark side of Castle because Beckett is finally strong enough to handle it. So for me, the timing is right. And I can’t wait to see it play out.. And with a little romance and a few stand along quirky episodes… Season 7 should be great.

• Cindy says:

I”m just now reading everyones comments(Sept.14) about the Season 7 poster, which is Awesome! My favorite TV couple ever! Looking so forward to Sept. 29th and all of Season 7. I’m ready to see what is in store for Beckett and Castle. She will be there for him just like he was there for her through all of her mom’s case. I, too, adore Stana, heck, I have a crush on her, don’t mind saying it, and I’m a straight female. Not ashamed at all! and of course LOVE Nathan!!! So, to everyone who is a true CASTLE FAN, lets hop on board this CASTLE SHIP and sail away!!!!! Love to all!

• KCC says:

That’s great news! I’m not joking. I don’t agree with all the Marlow bashing. Castle has been my favorite show since it started. I am always entertained by it. If Amann can keep that going I’m on board.

3. Lisa says:

Great poster art!!

• RBA says:

It is photoshop. They just used Stana’s head from a season 4 episode pic and placed it in someone else’s body….

pic dot twitter dot com slash Ald3drhXGj

• Gaby says:

This is episode 6.17, not season 4. And they probably have a bunch of unreleased pics of Stana from various promo photoshoots and stills that have never been released. It’s probably what they used, instead of getting one where they’d have to photoshop her mouth, hair and eyes. We already know Photoshop isn’t their forte, so…

• Cindy says:

WHAAAAAAAT?????????????? are you talking about??????????? I envy her body and face! She is sooo gorgeous. Just asking.

• Carl says:

You’re absolutely RIGHT. Stana/Kate is drop dead gorgeous with the brains and body to match. So when she said “You’ve no idea” you were hooked from the very first episode.

• The artwork is wonderful. I can hardly wait, 19 more days!!!!!!

4. Boiler says:

Great poster!! Looking forward to the season

5. lkh says:

A key discovery?! Raise your hand if you thought he was in that burning car. Really?

• BBS says:

Exactly, lol.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Let me say this one final time: It was not for us, the viewers of the fictional TV program, to think that he was.

Kate Beckett does not know that she is a character on a TV show named after Rick Castle. Kate believes Rick to be mortal, susceptible to immolation.

• lkh says:

sorry-don’t understand. It’s not for us to think he was? Thanks.

• Yeah, but it is also an empty threat to have this contrived season six finale of Castle being forced off the road and Beckett seeing a burning car. It is drama for drama and it was poor writing. An empty threat like when my mom used to tell my sister and I there was going to be some changes around here, when we were growing up, but there never were.

• John NYC says:

Not really: it simply set up the “who grabbed Castle and torched the car as a delaying tactic”, which wasn’t a bad segue as those things go. Better than showing the named lead literally hanging from a cliff the viewers all would know he’d never fall from. While he’s completely susceptible to kidnapping, Daddy secret mission to save the nation helping etc.

• nicademus11 says:

You mean like that time at the end of Season 3 when they shot Beckett in the chest?

• c-mo says:

Now I understand the vitriol better because at my house they weren’t empty threats it was the new reality…so for a while I, like Kate technically still does because the show hasn’t aired yet, thought he was in the car.

• lkh says:

I see what you’re saying–thanks. Yes, we all know the show will continue, she’s not one of us–I’m just a little slow. Maybe a different line though…

• tiffdevol says:

I think I love you right now

• nicademus11 says:

As opposed to Nathan Fillion whom we all know is immortal. ;)

• It’s true – in theory. Unfortunately Castle’s writers pretty often played them as if they know exactly that they are in a TV show, like when there were no aftermath of a drama, because there must be a fun episode or when they never talked about anything until the Very Big And Important Episodes.

• Sammy says:

I agree! Which is why I’ve always said: when lead characters are put in danger and/or assumed dead it’s not about me ever believing they won’t survive .. the story comes from the reactions of the characters closest to them.
        Reason I’m looking most forward to the reactions of Beckett, Alexis, & Martha.

• Rgb says:

I agree with you Sammy. It is suppose to be about how the characters on the show react to what happened. We, the viewers, know that Beckett and Castle will always survive the season cliffhangers no matter what is thrown at them.

• Gaby says:

Thank you, Matt. Blees you.

• Cindy says:

Not raising my hand Ikh

6. BBS says:

Giant Castle-head made me laugh so hard!

7. Tina says:

Ooooh! I can’t wait!

8. astrid says:

I like the poster. Can’t wait for the new season!

9. Ali says:

Hmm, Till Death Do Us Part? I dont know, isnt this his 4th marriage? Interesting to see how they stall this once again.

10. Stormy says:

I’m betting his father staged it to avoid an even worse scenario where Rick was in actual danger.

• John NYC says:

That brings up the side fact that the actual torched car wasn’t an identical match for the car he’s seen driving (Confirmed in a Fillion tweet where he responded “Shhhh!”). While perhaps a simple production budget issue it might also be another part of the fake: his dad simply got a car close enough but not exact in the exigencies of time.

• Dark Defender says:

I lean toward a production issue for the car being different. Castle is loaded and if his dad had to find a car to “burn on the fly” they just would have burned Rick’s.

• Sarahall says:

Or It could be 3xk 😳

• Dark Defender says:

I think that theory is highly unlikely. Kate’s initial reaction was that Rick was dead in that car – 3XK would want her to either know he was dead (to make her life miserable) or make it clear he was kidnapped (hence, the burning the car would be unnecessary). As I (and Matt) have said a ton of times, she doesn’t know she is on a TV show called Castle – so she thinks he is dead, then later finds out he is gone.
        Also, 3XK came into the “Castle and Beckett” story late in the game. This has already been described by the creators to be new mythology to propel Castle’s story forward and may more to do with Rick’s back story – which would have nothing to do with 3XK.

• c-mo says:

Do you ever feel like you’re talking to a wall? I’m not sure how “new mythology” is continuously understood as “it’s probably 3XK, Castle’s dad or maybe even Bracken”. I understand really losing yourself in a show but people, it’s FICTION, it’s not the people who live next door…these people live inside someone’s mind and then come to life inside of a non-interactive electronic device! :)

• Echoes of Nite says:

Ha! DarkDefender, I absolutely adore you!

And I want my wedding gifts back, too!

• Debi ,Pa says:

That’s what I’ve been saying, from day one. Or Amnesia. One or the other.

• Deckersmama says:

I was just saying the same thing to a friend of mine that his Dad had to be involved! It would make for an interesting season!

11. lilu says:

Nice! I like it! Can’t wait!

12. Kourt says:

The poster is so good. Looking forward to 9/29

13. Still withholding excitement for upcoming season after that debacle of season six finale. As the duster said to Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast “I’ve been burnt by you before.”

14. The poster is great but sad ! I’m eager to see how they bring every pieces back together !

15. Allie says:

Is this a Season 7 poster or a season premier poster? I seriously hope this is not what will be used for all of season 7. Since there are no new season 7 cast photos, this is the best we can hope for?

16. PLC says:

So Nathan and Stana can’t even make a photoshoot together anymore ?

• Flavs says:

I think it is more of a question of ABC not wanting to spend the money or promote the show correctly…

• Moshai says:

You don’t honestly believe that Nathan and Stana dictate whether there is a photoshoot, right? If ABC wanted there to be a photoshoot, there would be one.

• lkh says:

I dunno. Folks are always implying that they don’t like each other, hate each other, don’t get along, don’t want to work together, … When I watch the bloopers on the dvds, I see them laughing, joking, kidding with each other. I might be naive and these are specifically picked for those reasons, but maybe not.

• DL says:

Yeah, I have no idea where those rumors come from.

• Cindy says:

Ikh, I’d love to know, too, who started these rumors about them not getting along. I refuse to believe it. I, too, watch the bloopers and love them and laugh a lot. Has anyone tweeted Stana or Nathan and point blank ASK THEM? Do you think they would answer us?

17. Flavs says:

fugly poster! gosh! is this fanmade? get a grip, ABC!

18. emma says:

It’s not even a new pic of Nathan Fillion is this ? It’s just a manip ?
    They both look great though if you compare to scary Nathan in season 5 poster, it was awful ;-)

19. LGC says:

Castle’s smirking handsomely even at his own funeral. He needs to look more like this on the show, as he haunts Beckett from the great beyond. Nice recycled use of Fillion’s wedding themed tux portrait from last season. At least we got a “new” poster even if it seems Castle is the only ABC drama without a new photoshoot this season. Fingers crossed we’ll actually see some nice, happy wedding photos of the duo when the wedding finally happens.

Matt, maybe you can try for a Nathan and Stana joint interview for the wedding episode? You’d be the first in a long time to get that kind of exclusive!

• Allie says:

Matt will grow wings and fly before he gets a joint Nathan/Stana interview.

• lkh says:

photos of that please

• Stuart says:

VERY TRUE, Allie!
        Ravens will be white,
        People will literally laugh all the way to the bank
        & yes, LOL, even our dear Matt will grow wings & fly first before he or anyone else on TV, print, social media or in any position of power can be able to get a joint Nathan/Stana pic without anybody else in between them, let alone a joint interview or God forbid a selfie together with no cock-blockers! People have taken bets…and lost.

I am still hopeful that a miracle can happen. So I wait for this momentous occasion…..

• Brigid says:

I just googled Castle promo pics and a ton of pictures of Stana and Nathan together appeared before my very eyes. Miracle right here on my computer screen!!!

• Allie says:

All hope was lost when they couldn’t even pose together (without Marlowe between them) or do a joint interview for the 100th episode. If they can’t put aside whatever differences they have for that occasion, I don’t see they ever will.

• lkh says:

‘smirking’ hope not :[

• Cindy says:

LGC, oh that would be great to have the 2 of them interviewed for the wedding episode. I think there should be more photo shoots and interviews with BOTH of them. Put to rest the ugly rumors of them not getting along.

20. Alex says:

Hmm I don’t see this being the cover of the season 7 dvd , I think this one is for 7×01 and I’m pretty sure we will have a special “wedding photoshoot” later.

21. Alex says:

Well, at least ABC knows how to use photoshop haha

22. Lorena says:

It is stunning, and better yet, i think this is a new dress!!

23. Rich Abey says:

Again not the biggest fan of the finale but this is one awesome poster, possibly the best one so far after S5′.

24. Lena says:

I think they saw Stana asking for fan art posters yesterday and said : why not ? Let’s do one quickly today !

25. tam says:

Talk abt a money saver lol abc.
    Creatively I like it a lot. Tone is too sad though :/
    Hope abc does at least some promotion for their wedding. Maybe a wedding shoot? Would love tht.
    S6 poster was best.
    Thanks for sharing Matt :)

26. Lena says:

They took Stana’s head from a pic of In the Belly of the Beast, put it a body wearing a wedding dress (that’s why it’s not the same) and put a giant blurry Nathan’s head from last year photoshoot. Great !

27. emma says:

Castle must be the most frustrating show to be a fan of. The two leads have the weirdest relationship ever, we don’t have any promo and now recycled pics for the poster ? Seriously ?

28. Andrea says:

I like this poster for the season premiere. But I must admit I’m hoping the art eventually turns wedding related later one!

29. tahina45 says:

It’s so sad but also so beautiful. Can’t wait! <3

30. Cynthia Haywood says:

They better get married this year! Waiting too long for this to happen.

31. cheryl says:

Something to do with his father

32. DeDe says:

He’s probably in a coma and she’s going to have to go and find who ran him off the road. The shows always have to have a cliff hanger. Most of them I hate, because you have to wait three to four months to find out what happened.

33. Mary says:

Personally, I love the poster! But of course there´ll be a lot of people saying it´s awful and complaining about all and everything:)

34. lkh says:

So sorry–went astray. To answer your question, I still think it might be the FBI in that black SUV, come to protect him for some reason or other. (and Beckett is crying because her red DVF coat was in that car-maybe)

35. Elizabeth says:

3XK is back.

36. Sharon M. says:

He was ejected from the car before it exploded. He is laying somewhere near the wreckage unconscious!!!!

• Cindy says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. He’s knocked out from the crash, although i think he was wearing a seat belt, but anything can happen, Just saying!

37. Jaime says:

HOT!!!!! Can’t wait for this new season!!!

38. Pauline Youmans says:

I cannot waite to see the opening show. We have been waiting so long for Kate n Rick to get married. Just love them as a couple.

39. Linda Lamb says:

My viewing of season 7 is highly dependant on how long they intend to drag this out. I looked forward to their wedding and the writers have thrown enough curves. Now it’s almost like a bet with the writers to see how many more curves can we get away with before we start losing the viewers. I’m just letting them know in advance for this viewer.

40. Pauline Youmans says:

Just love the show cannot waite for the new season to begin. Kate n Rick belong together .

41. Stacy says:

What think happened? Something we won’t see coming I hope. Part of me wants it to be 3xk back. I loved to hate him. If I were to go crazy route & maybe make Castle proud the guy that wrote his paper (the story behind Jordan) who is pissed at the life Castle has had. And this is part of his revenge. Crazy I know. All the sites that have the options of what happened… If they were to do it right, it won’t be none of them.

42. Debra Keatley says:

Castle survives the crash. He has to. We all have been waiting for this wedding for a long time. And the show wouldn’t be the same without him in it.

43. Dani says:

Sigh. That season finale still has a bad taste on my mouth. I can’t wait for the second or third episode when things are back to normal. :P

44. Jacqueline Spencer says:

Love Castle and DirectTV better get it in gear and make sure we don’t miss out.

45. Jacqueline Spencer says:

Love Castle and DirectTV better get it in gear and make sure we don’t miss out I think his Dad’s enemies showed up..

46. Kristyl says:

I actually loved the season finale… Of course we all know Castle won’t be in the car but the drama is of course Beckett doesn’t know the love of her life isn’t dead. Just like we all knew Beckett wasn’t going to die when she got shot but Castle didn’t….
    I can’t wait for the new season and to find out how things will go. I’ve trusted the creators and writers for 6 seasons and I’ll keep trusting them until the show comes to an end!!! I love the poster and can’t wait for more pictures and some sneek peaks to be released :)

47. Teri says:

Cannot wait for Castle to come back in a few Monday’s. Best shoe I have ever watched.

• carbono says:

Watching shoe’s sounds pretty boring!

• Fran says:

I think these are the most positive comments I’ve ever seen on a Castle article…. Anyway, I like the poster and can’t wait to see what the new season brings.

• S. says:

I know! I’m amazed. Maybe the trolls found somewhere else to be. It could all change tomorrow as they realize there’s an article up and they forgot to be Debbie Downers so they might jump in with the usual negativity. For a show they claim to no longer be excited about, they sure spend a lot time grumbling in the comments. I kinda like that we’re more in the dark than we’ve ever been about the future arc of the characters. In the past it’s will they/won’t they and Bracken. Now we know they will (but when?) and it’s not Bracken now. Could be 3XK, could be any number of things.

48. Kerri says:

I think 3XK was involved! They never did find the body when he went over the bridge!

49. N says:

Love the poster! Hope the season is great!