Fall TV Preview

New Once Upon a Time Photos Tease Regina's 'Hot Mess' and More

Season 4, Episode 1

To quote Once Upon a Time cocreator Eddy Kitsis, the Season 4 sitch between Regina, Robin Hood and “resurrected” Marian will be “complicated and messy, but we hope it’s a hot mess.” And that would seem a safe bet, based on a new slew of photos from the Sept. 28 premiere.

VIDEO In New Once Upon a Time Promo, Elsa Chills, Regina Plots, Belle Twirls

Fresh off Emma questionably bringing Marian back to our realm, and in a timeline where she wasn’t executed by the Evil Queen, things look tense between Robin’s “dead” wife and his new lady love.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Faces a Snow Monster, Emma Comforts Regina

Elsewhere amid the 24 fresh photos, there’s additional looks at Frozen‘s Elsa, Anna and Kristoff; Regina meeting with her “mirror” aka Sidney Glass; and Emma and Hook teaming up to battle some sort of evil.

1. Carly says:

Well this looks awkward. I’m firmly on team Robin & Regina, but I understand that all of this must come as a shock to Marian. Hard to blame Robin though. He thought she was dead, mourned her for years and only now moved on with Regina. And from what I understand neither Robin nor Regina knew there was this connection in the past with Marian being a prisoner of the Evil Queen. It’ll be a shock for Regina too. I feel for all of them. I hope the writers handle it well.

2. Ana says:

Wow. It’s gonna be exciting all over. I feel so sorry for Robin and Marrian and Regina and especially Emma..it’s such a mess. But I’m sure the writers will handle this whole thing very well. And so awesome to see Emma and Killian fighting side by side, being the amazing team they are. Less than 3 weeks :)

3. I just want OutlawQueen

4. fiona walsh says:

I love outlaw queen I hope the writers resolve this story without too much of a mess.

• Lily says:

Me too, I don’t care HOW they resolve this, but they better do it, because this situation is sooooo messed up!!!! And I’m assuming there will be repercussions because you just don’t change the past like that…

5. Zach says:

Are those physical sets for the Frozen flashbacks?

• Moment says:

From looking at the pictures, most of them are yes. I don’t see anything that implies green screen use. For example Reginas Castle interior is an obvious example.

6. holly says:

Aww my heart breaks for Robin and for Regina. The finale seriously threw a curveball at them. I hope they find a way back together.

7. rachelle says:

I believe in Outlaw Queen! Tv gods, don’t break my heart.

8. Mandie says:

The fact that Giancarlo Esposito is back combined with the earlier news that Hook is going to try to navigate the modern world almost makes me want to watch this show again. Almost.

9. Nat says:

sigh, now that’s a dilemma. I don’t want to wish ill on the poor woman who came back from the death. But I don’t like that Marian gets in the way of Robin/Regina. Casting, costumes and sets for Frozen looks good.

10. JC1 says:

While I’m looking forward to most of what I’m hearing about season four, this particular storyline has me very nervous on how it will be handled. I like Regina, but I’m firmly Team Marian on this one, and if Robin leaves his wife for the woman who would have murdered her? I’m not even the slightest bit interested in that kind of twisted “love story”. If they use this story line to have Regina grow and finally face up to and own responsibility for all the people she’s hurt, I’m all for that, but I’m very afraid they won’t. I’m also very much on Emma’s side on this one, and before Regina starts hurling accusations, she might take a moment to think about Graham, someone who Emma was starting to love who Regina murdered (an issue they’ve never ever addressed between the two of them – I’m not even sure if Emma knows).

• Thor652 says:

Why would this be an Emma vs. Regina situation? Regina has a right to be in a shock and upset after what happened in the finale because at the end of the day she’s only human too. What matters is how she deals with it after the initial shock, but as long as she doesn’t go on a rampage or it’s history repeating itself with Emma in Snow’s role I don’t see the issue. Chances are Regina’s just gonna withdraw and deal with her hurt alone. Has been her mo for a while now. So I don’t get why some try to force this idea that we have to pick a side in this? I can relate to both of them and their respective situations just fine. #shrug

• JC1 says:

No we don’t know what will happen, but I think I have a right to be concerned in how the storyline will be handled, based in their past history with Regina (particularly where Snow is concerned). Sure, it may be all fine, but I’m just saying – IF Robin leaves Marian for Regina, and/or IF Regina blames Emma and the show frames it as such that Regina is somehow right to do so, I am not going to be happy.

• meresger says:

It will be the usual bad writing of romantic AND family relationships, I’m sure. This show seems to like to say that true love matters the most and everything else is expendable. It’s going to be another love triangle, and then Marian will probably get killed as some lame “fate” kind of thing. They are really hyping this travesty along with Emma/Hook (kind of pointless pictures there, but they just had to get those dysfunctional abuse-condoning idiots in because they look hot) and way too much Frozen. Ugh. Spare me.

11. GreenJelloFrog says:

Robin and Marian are a timeless couple of true love just like Snow White and Prince Charming.
    I can only hope the writers handle it correctly and quickly. The show should not be a prime time soap opera, but it become just that !

• Bella says:

It’s their story. The writers, I mean. They don’t make the show to retell the old stories 100% like we know them. They change things all the time. Red being the wolf, Jack in Jack and the Beanstalk being a girl, Mulan being in love with Aurora from Sleeping Beauty, their dark story of Peter Pan and Wendy… I like it when they put a new twist on the stories.

12. Ellis says:

Can someone please explain to me the Marian timeline? She was about to be executed at the same time as Snow and Charming’s first meeting. How about that first appearance of Robin (Tom Ellis)?

13. Heather says:

Can’t wait! I hope it works out between Regina and Robin.

14. Daisy says:

The pictures are cool but I would like to see Rumpelstiltskin and Belle. They are my favorite characters in the show.
    I hope that the writers don’t mess
    up their marriage, because of the dagger. That would be dumb.
    I think that the show got better after they got married. The show was good before, but now its better!!