Case Closed for Mystery Girls

Mystery Girls Cancelled

UPDATE: ABC Family now confirms Mystery Girls is one-and-done.

Here’s a new case for Mystery Girls‘ amateur sleuths Charlie and Holly: Who killed their TV show?

Although an ABC Family rep maintains that no official decision has been made, TVLine is hearing that the cable net will not be bringing its Tori Spelling-Jennie Garth buddy comedy back for a second season.

RELATED TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The campy series ended its run much the same way it started it — with disappointing ratings. The Aug. 27 finale drew slightly more than 500K viewers and a .024 demo rating.

1. Angela says:

I figured this was going to happen. It didn’t hold Young and Hungry’s ratings

2. I’m actually really sad. I loved it. Not as much as I did Young & Hungry (even though I was bummed about the ending of that one!), but still. It was cute. :(

3. jalahyacinth says:

So, even worse than CW? Ouch….

4. tamara says:

Young and hungry renewed then???

5. Ashbash says:

Considering the fact that this show only got green lit because of Jennie Garth told me this show was gonna get cancelled. If ABC Family’s only faith in this show was “hey, people will watch because it has Kelly and Donna!” something was wrong with this show from the get go. Tori Spelling’s acting was too over the top and Jennie Garth always looked like she would rather not be there. This show could have been better with different actors.

6. Christy says:

I wanted to like it but Tori was such a ham. Looking forward to everything else Jennie does, but Tori, maybe not so much.

• HRG says:

Absolutely agree with you. You hitbitbright on the head. Tori ruined the show.

• leahbh says:

What surprised me was how horrible she was I in this. I thought her vh1 show so notorious was hilarious.

• ChrisGa says:

All of this. She was great in So Notorious, very funny and very natural. She was absolutely awful in this show with the over-the-top line delivery and the constant hand-on-her-hip mess; it was ridiculous in the worst way. Parts of the show were cute and I thought Jennie Garth was fantastic; she basically carried the show on her back.

As for Young and Hungry, it’s also a cute show and Jonathan Sadowski is totally swoonworthy in my book but Emily Osment is one of the most grating female leads to come down the pike in a long time. She’s trying WAY too hard.

• Maria P. says:

Not at all. The show is funny and entertaining. I enjoy all the cast and Emily does a great job. She is funny and has cute expressions. I actually find Sadowski kind of arrogant but was lightening up towards the end of the season. I hope it is renewed.

7. BRM says:

What about Young & Hungry?!

8. Alisa says:

I hope this ups the chances for Young & Hungry! Love that show. I couldn’t get into Mystery Girls because of the over the top acting.

9. Cory says:

This would have been better if the format was slightly tweaked. I don’t know why ABC Family insists on cheap multi camera sitcoms but they all suck, and for some reason they feel like they’re written by some of the same people who write Disney Channel’s sitcoms.

• Angela says:

I doubt you’ve watched a Disney Channel show, but they’re not bad, ABC Family has some of the best shows on TV

• c-mo says:

And by “tweaked” you mean re-casting the parts played by Tori and Miguel Pinzon? I thought their acting was so camp that I had to stop watching part way through the second episode.

10. herman1959 says:

Wow! I didn’t know there could be ratings this low.

11. Diz says:

It was really bad.

12. Kay says:

Didn’t really care for it but really hoping Young and Hungry gets renewed!

13. Tom says:

Not surprised, what little I saw following Young and Hungry looked really silly. Any news on Young and Hungry’s fate?

14. I tried to watch this show but couldn’t even get past the first episode. It was just so BAD! Not surprised this is not coming back.

15. Jared says:

Hopefully this means Young & Hungry will get renewed.

16. Tran says:

No word of another ABC Family series Young & Hungry starring Emily Osment of Hannah Montana fame?

17. Babybop says:

Yikes. Not a good time to be new on ABC Family. I hope Young and Hungry gets renewed!

18. Missy Kelly says:

I watched the first two episodes of this mess. Jennie Garth was actually good. Tori Spelling and the assistant were annoying. I was very confounded as to the executive decision to go ahead with this mess when they have that very likeable and entertaining Young & Hungry. Not sure if Mystery Girls could have stood on its own, Y&H can.

19. Et al says:

It was bad, but abc family didn’t do itself any favors by airing them out of order. They managed to make a show with a thin, easy, premise completely confusing.

• NJMark says:

They should have run the pilot episode first (instead of fourth), and the Joe E. Tata episode (the 90210 homage) second.

• c-mo says:

I think the only reason they aired the episodes like they did is because the pilot was so awful that nobody would stick around for the “good” episodes. By starting with a later ep. that was better than the pilot, people had already kind of gotten sucked in by the humorous camp but then they left in droves because of the horribly campy acting of the very early episodes that weren’t shown until later.

20. MP says:

I’m from the original 90210 generation and was really looking forward to seeing Kelly and Donna on a show together, but it was terrible. I couldn’t get past the second episode. Young and Hungry, on the other hand, was my favorite new show all year. It was sweet and charming and laugh out loud funny. I hope it will be renewed.

21. Eran says:

I personally LOVED it in a “so bad it’s effin’ fantastic” way. It was like watching a live action cartoon with the frequent, naughty double entendres. TV needs a show that is unapologetically, OTT, guilty pleasure, camp fun and that was it for me. Pity :(

22. Ram510 says:

It could’ve been a decent show of they had better characters. Too many of them were way over the top and Jennies character wasn’t enough to keep them in line. They should’ve had the gay character on only a few episodes and made the cop more of a third wheel and tone down Tori’s character some. And it could’ve been better

23. Annie says:

Honestly I try so hard to watch the entire first episode… I just Couldn´t!

24. Marco says:

The writers did it. The show was AWFUL.

25. Erica says:

Mystery Girls was fun.

26. leahbh says:

It was horrible!!

27. Television says:

I looked forward to Mystery Girls and Young & Hungry, both of which I went into not sure how they were going to be. I’m glad I watched more than the first episode of both because it was refreshing to watch these kind of sitcoms and take a break from the world. The witty humor on Mystery Girls was great, and I even liked their “mystery solved”. They really started something good, please let them work out the kinks and come back strong for a second season.

28. dancmh says:

This is one of those shows One Million Moms will claim they cancelled through the power of prayer or something.

29. Dani says:

Young and Hungry please. That show has the potential to be in the main ABC channel.

30. Ally Oop says:

I don’t care a fig about this show but I really need to know if Chasing Life is returning as it’s ABC Family’s best show ever

31. BrianR says:

I was just starting to like it.

32. Ethel says:

Probably one of the worst shows ever! Premise was OK but casting was terrible

33. Ethel says:

Probably one of the worst shows ever! Premise was OK but casting was terrible

34. Mika02 says:

Crossing my fingers for Young and Hungry!

35. pamela says:

I love Jennie and tori but the show isn’t funny, the assistant needs to go as well .

36. lrdslvrhnd says:

Airing the pilot as the fourth or so episode didn’t help. Neither did Tori Spelling. I really wanted to like this for Jennie Garth (and the occasional appearance by Detective Captain Awesome), but I couldn’t… because of Tori.

37. cyclone says:

I kept up with the news before this show premiered about how it was about these 2 has been stars that team up to bring their detective show to real life. And then when I watched the 1st episode they had everything already established so it wasn’t the pilot. That is always a red flag, when a show doesn’t want to air the pilot as the 1st episode.

38. Jake says:

No surprise. Spelling is a no-talent who only got into acting because of her father.

39. carolyn peercy says:

I loved this show . Mystery girls rocked. Should have gave it a chance.

40. Mirelda says:

I love MYSTERY GIRLS…… I didn’t miss any episode please don’t cancel. I love Tori and Jennie. ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

41. Liz says:

Myster Girls was so funny. I loved loved love this show.

42. Beth says:

I loved Mystery Girls. Please let it return.!

43. Walter says:

Mystery Girls is WONDERFUL. Please keep it goin!!!

44. Anna says:

Come On…..enough with the negative campaign against Mystery Girls. What’s up???? I personally Love the show and enjoy Tori and Jenny. If it ends there will be many disappointed folks. You just don’t hear about it on this particular site.

45. Jim Petsche says:

It was bad. Like a Disney comedy for adults. Too much hamming and mugging and not even the hint of genuine comedy. Embarrassed for Jennie Garth. She deserves better.

46. Pam says:

I liked the show. It was silly, fun, funny and light. Yes, there was some over acting but that was part of the fun of the show. I’ll be disappointed if they cancel the show.

47. Linda Taylor says:

I love this show…do not cancel it!

48. Sandi says:

Would like to see Mystery Girls return for season 2

49. Marta says:

It was stupid!!?

50. Rhon says:

Tori Spelling in an interview said that she excels at comedy. The trouble is that she wasn’t funny. She was embarrassingly silly. I tried to watch the show but couldn’t sit through a whole episode. She seemed consumed by dressing and acting like a teenager. She has to realize those days are long gone. Jenny, however, was much easier to take. I don’t think she is responsible for the demise of the show. I believe that Tori Spelling is a master of manipulation. She gets more press and photo opts than A-list CELEBRITIES! She has marketed herself in ways she wants to be viewed. Her new norm is finding her voice and playing the wronged spouse. Thus, back to a new reality show. Even her most loyal devotees must admit her TRUTH is often foggy and held up to suspicion.

• Maria P. says:

Tori was supposed to be silly and embarrassing on the show. It was a comedy that used Tori who acted stupid and the smart one Jenny. In the end Tori would end up not being so stupid when she got them out of trouble. I enjoyed the show it was funny and different.