The Strain Recap: Master, Uh, Sex

The Strain Recap Eph Nora Sex

This week on FX’s The Strain, Eph feared the worst about someone close to him (and yet still made time for other feelings), while in flashback we saw two pivotal face-to-faces with the Master.

VIDEO American Horror Story: Freak Show Sends In the Clowns

This week’s first stop for the Strigoibusters: The house where Eph’s ex-wife Kelly lives — just moments after son Zach was dropped off there by family friend Adriana La Cerva Fran Drescher Diane. Kelly’s infected beau Matt starts attacking wee Zach when Eph busts in and drives a silver blade into the vamp’s gut. Eph then uses a shovel to whale on Matt some more/take out deep-seated issues, then finally wedge off his melon.

While Eph and Nora hang back to clean up the scene/burn Matt’s body (with nothing remotely close to a eulogy), Setrakian, Vas and hacker Dutch Velders take Zach to safety at the pawn shop. (Along the way, they make a stop at Dutch’s, mainly to reveal that her “roomie” from the gas station mini-mart has stolen all her money and both her computers.)

Eph and Nora meanwhile use their alone time at the house to succumb to desires, in a heated, flailing romp whose clumsiness was only outdone by the scene that followed, when Diane walks in on them post-coitus. (There seemed little point for this super-awkward encounter, other than to have Eph state that he still “love[s]” the mother of his son in front of Nora.)

Back at the pawn shop, Setrakian A) gives Zach some “reading material” about the Strigoi (have fun with those nightmares, kiddo!), B) learns from Dutch that it was she who broke the Internet on behalf of the powerful Eldritch Palmer and the “plastic-faced” Thomas Eichorst, and C) gives Vas a pat on the back for his emotionless approach to their mission.

RELATED The Strain Renewed for Season 2 by FX

Elsewhere in the hour:

* Felix is not looking good at all there in the jail cell, but no amount of guff from Gus will get the bulls to bring in a doc. Rather, they tell the boys they’ll get any medical attention they need after their transport to Rikers. Mid-trip, Felix “Strigois out” on another jailbird, and then the van’s driver. This causes a crash, and ultimately turns Guard No. 2 into Felix’s next meal. Gus grabs the guard’s gun, puts his best friend to rest with a bullet to the bean, and then scampers away.

* In the latest stretch of flashbacks, we see Setrakian smuggle the silver knife into his bunk, ready to fend off the shadowy creature he has seen maul his comrades each night. Yet when the Master grabs Setrakian, he doesn’t kill him. Instead, he crushes the woodcarver’s hands. The next day, Herr Eichorst sees that “8230385” has been crippled, and as such sends him to face the latest firing squad. But before they pull their triggers, enemy fire interrupts, allowing Setrakian and others to escape. Later, we see Eichorst retreat to a bunker in the woods, where he apparently lights a tremendous amount of candles, circling the casket Setrakian made. Alone, sobbing, he asks, “Why have you forsaken me?!” — and the Master arrives. “I have done everything you have asked…. I am ready,” he tells the robed, gurgling, icky figure. The Master responds, “Then it is time.” The ghoul retracts his hood, revealing his not-pretty face, and proceeds to implant one of his worms into a slit in Eichort’s wrist — as they salute the “new order.”
The Strain Master

What did you think of Episode 9 of The Strain? And who among you can best sum up who/what The Master, revealed looks like?

1. Dan says:

How much longer until we find out what rescued the housekeeper and the kids?

2. Joey says:

Matt’s death definitely could’ve been gorier than what was shown. Pretty sure it was much worse in the actual books. Poor Felix. D:

3. Angel Brown says:

The Master looks like Pennywise The Clown off of “It”,kind of!

4. Kubrick says:

Wonder how much longer until the Vampire hunting Vampire and his crew return. You know the one who put a stake in the nanny’s daughter because she was ‘corrupted’

5. Joel says:

Dutch is hot

6. joefromwb says:

I think the Master looks like a cross between the Master from Buffy and Shrek.

7. Patrick Gogan says:

Nosferatu inspired of course

8. Hammer_Girl says:

For those above inquiring about the “Blade” like character, his name is Mr. Quinlan. More than likely he and his team of slayers won’t be seen again until the finale, if we are lucky.

9. Trey says:

Yeah, Mr. Quinlan, the badass vampire that killed the nanny’s daughter, was mad cool. I liked his look better than the master’s. I was extremely disappointed.

10. Gary says:

The make-up for The Master was really lame and laughable, the first knock to this otherwise great series.

11. Dave says:

Eph’s wig is still the scariest part of the show. (Although seriously, the last two episodes have been pretty stellar!)

12. Esther says:

Makes me want to re-read the books. Except the last one because it sucked

13. russ says:

the master looks like a cross between “un make upped” eichorst and andre the giant

14. Steve Miller says:

The show is good, but 2things DID NOT work last night: (1) as the master is flitting around the barracks sucking blood from prisoners, based on the previous shows, those other guys should’ve become vampires. (2). The Master’s face looks like a corny Stephen King inspired clown mask that someone’s wearing. A terrible look under the eyes especially. I’m disappointed that they couldn’t do better.

• Benson says:

1) In the book, after The Master sucks their blood, he breaks their necks (doesn’t want more vampires around to compete with). I’m guessing that’s what happened in the TV show, and 2) Agreed.

15. christopher bee says:

The mask of the master looks goofy stupid, the hands are the real creepy stuff

16. Rachel says:

Kind of wish they never revealed the Master’s face. It was more scary when it was hidden behind his hood with the glowing eyes. Off went the hood and I burst out laughing. So disappointed.

17. jimmy says:

I laughed so, so much when he (the master) took his hood off. What the hell was that???? I` mean, c`mon, seriously??? It looked like a Killer Clown from outer space mated with Kermit the frog and this was their offspring.

• Michael says:

I immediately thought of a goofy Killer Klown From Outer Space as well. They had a perfect 10 series up to that unveiling. Hoping it returns it’s hood from here on out or my interest and passion for it’s success will diminish. Otherwise an awesome series.

18. Ron says:

I love this show but the master looks really cheesy. That was a big let down.

19. Wesley says:

The Master looks oddly like the creature in that old horror sci-fi flick, “It, the Terror from Beyond Space.”

20. Corey says:

Everyone is joking on the Master’s face. People need to understand that the master is an evil entity who took over the body of a man that had gigantism. Even though the body morphed a little because of the “the strain” it was a Man’s body at one time so the look falls in line with the concept. Yes, he does break the necks of those he feasts upon.

21. --- says:

The Master’s reveal is akin to the first time we saw Darth Vader. Everyone was like wha? That looks like my grandpa! The master’s rose-red lips were the absolute worst. And the way he drew his hands across his face was like a vogue move Madonna would do! I laughed… hard!

I was seriously hoping for a much more grotesque figure. If he’s the first, the worms could have easily morphed him even more, plus how is it that the cloak moves around… Worn tentacles…? Large invasive worm strands all over his face, rotting flesh… Come on guys! I could pencil up a scarier looking figure in 5 minutes.

• Corey says:

Read the books, jesus!! He is an evil entity that has powers. That is how the cloak moves around at his will.

• --- says:

Obviously, I didn’t read the books. But, I still think my idea would have been more terrifying than a “magic cloak”… Just saying! Makeup still sucked!

• Michael says:

I have read all three of the books and loved them. I agree with just about everyone outside of Corey that the master’s face was so ridiculously stupid that I almost don’t even wanna watch the show anymore. The master’s face and zach’s acting are killing this otherwise awesome show

• Corey says:

Was not trying to be a dick. I think that the show will probably do a flashback showing the master taking possession of the body it currently inhabits. I must admit that the face did throw me at first but I find it interesting from an artists perspective .

22. Dani True says:

The masters look definitely left me disappointed. He looks like a bald and sickly Persian cat.

• poopy strain master says:

i love his fat double-chin its hilarious….def looks like some sort of killer clown crossed with a hairless cat or something. i also gotta admit the whole gigantic scary hands moved slowly like a Madonna dance move was the funniest thing I’ve seen on TV in years.

23. John Rhodes says:

Spock has really let himself go…

24. Angela says:

He looks like a Muppet with big lips for a lipstick commercial. I know they have to change some things in the book for T.V. but they really have changed the book. I am very disappointed.