The Walking Dead Spin-Off Receives Formal Pilot Order at AMC

The Walking Dead Season 5 Premiere Date

It’s official: AMC has ordered a pilot for a Walking Dead spin-off series, chronicling how other people are coping with the zombie apocalypse.

RELATED AMC’s Walking Dead Spin-Off Premise Revealed?

TWD‘s Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert will executive-produce. Additionally, Sons of Anarchy writer-producer Dave Erickson will serve as cocreator/showrunner.

“Almost from the beginning of The Walking Dead on AMC, fans have been curious about what is going on in the zombie apocalypse in other parts of the world,” said AMC President Charlie Collier in a statement. “Beyond requests for zombie cameos, it’s the question I get asked the most. Obviously, we all take our stewardship of the original franchise incredibly seriously and we, along with Robert, Gale, David and now Dave, are all proceeding with extreme care in order to ensure that we are offering fans something truly compelling, engaging and distinct.  We’re thrilled to be taking this next step with these remarkable partners.”

Walking Dead fans, what are your hopes/fears for the new spin-off? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. L says:

I assume the point of this spin-off is so they can tell stories that arent beholden to the continuity of the comic books.. I’ll reserve judgement on it till I hear more, I just hope it doesnt water down the brand.

2. Mcyoung12 says:

Did no one learn from Nikki and Paolo? I don’t care about zombies, I don’t want to see others…..I just want to see how the current characters deal.

• Zack Quinti says:

so don’t watch it. problem solved.

• Shazay says:

Nikki and Paolo were on Lost, not a Lost spinoff. Your point is moot.
      ps – they could have done something with Nikki and Paolo, but they sent them in the wrong direction.

• dysturbed says:

This is a very late response that probably won’t be read but Nikki and Paolo were two characters inserted into the show as if they were around the main characters the entire time. This is a whole new set of characters as if they were part of the same world doing completely different things. That is two verrrry different spectrums.

3. JWB says:

It would be very hard to be as good as The Walking Dead pilot by Frank Darabont. That is what got people hooked on the show. There have been good episodes here and there but that pilot is the most memorable.

I think AMC needs to create more original shows and ideas instead of trying to focus on old ones.

• L says:

Well they havent been getting nearly as many viewers for “Halt and Catch Fire” or “Turn” as they do for “Walking Dead”.

4. R.O.B. says:

How about a crossover where we learn this is actually happening during a Frank Underwood presidency

5. Liza says:

I still want to see/know how it all began. I would like to see a series/miniseries event/even more flashbacks to the first zombie case and follow it in the early days.

• JoshS says:

I completely agree. This is what I’ve always wanted to see since I started watching TWD – how did it all begin and how did everyone react as the apocalypse unfolded.

• Lisa says:

Agreed…. During season one I liked the flashback scenes. More of what lead to the outbreak and initial days during. We didnt get a lot of that.

• Rene Mulkey says:

I totally agree Liza, i have always loved the flashbacks and would like to know more about the origins

• lanay says:

Out break stories have been told a thousand times a thousand different ways…something new and exciting is being told and pple want the same old thing? Or think they do. You either connect to this story or you dont and miss out. They can expand rite within this show and tell all sorts of stories. I for one dont see why the writers dont? A spin off is definitely not a good idea.

• Lance says:

The ambiguity of the origin is one of the key elements that maintains the constant tension between survival and despair. I think that back story is great when it comes to characters, but that an overarching omniscient view of the outbreak would weaken the original series.
      The writers’ themselves feel that they gave up a little too much too soon with the CDC story arch. I tend to agree. Maybe they can start to solve and resolve in the seasons leading up to the end… the horrible, inevitable end..
      I can’t even bear to think about a series finale at this time.

My greatest fear is, obviously, that the spin-off will suck. My greatest hope is that it will be just as awesome as the original (just as, since being better would clearly be impossible) :)

6. Fears for the spin off? That it sucks the Dead well dry prematurely, in terms of just overkill of the franchise. That it gets tossed around and poorly handled, a la Once Wonderland.

Hopes? That it focuses not simply on survivors but on people trying to solve the problem. People on the CDC/govt level. I just don’t believe that every single person in the US government died as a result of the Outbreak, and think there would still be pockets of authority that cannot communicate with one another to establish a traditional government network. But I want the spin-off to follow scientists and politicians and maybe even have the two series ‘collide’ someday. With the originals headed to DC, I think it would be epic if the spin-off, o CE established (IG it doesn’t

• Ugh…if it does not suffer from overkill once established, the new series’ survivors meet Rick and Co. And were left with an epic show that spans survivors and higher-level problem solvers NOT bent on suicide!

• bla says:

sounds good by would not work with the comics

• Joe Bradley says:

Who wants the show to be EXACTLY like the comics?!?!? Not me….and I bet many others. It would be like watching reruns or a movie with someone quoting every line 3 seconds before it happens. I like that the creators tweaked it ……..it’s what keeps everyone interested. The show would NOT be as popular if it were EXACTLY like the comics.

7. Alex says:

“TWD co-creator Dave Erickson”? Um, what? He’s not the creator, nor has he even written or produced anything regarding The Walking Dead. That needs to be fixed.

8. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

MEH, don’t care much for the spin-off I like the ORIGNAL show better!

9. Andrea says:

Do it!! Let’s see what ya got! If it’s anything like what you do now, it’ll be great!

10. Moment says:

I would for the spinoff to have a strong female lead as a main character. Maybe a Mother/daughter dynamic. They’ve done the Father/Son thing with Rick/Carl.

11. Joey Padron says:

Looking forward to see if the show will be good. Can’t wait to see who they cast for the Spin-off.

12. Julie says:

Should have the new story based in Alaska/Pacific northwest. See how the humans and walkers fair in that territory. Do those that live off the land before the walkers came have a better survival rate after the walkers? That would be interesting to watch!

13. Simon says:

Coul be interesting, we’ll see. It probably should deal with some very different situation rather than just done other group of survivors somewhere else. Something like “TWD: in the jungle” or maybe set somewhere where more people survived and retained some sort of civilisation

14. James says:

All they’d have to do to make the spin-off good is tell the story of Telltale’s game. That proved you can take a bunch of new characters and have people actually care about a new group of people

15. AnnieM says:

TWD is probably my favorite show right now. But I am not at all interested in a companion series, as like others have said, the original could possibly suffer. *However* – I would be very up for either a tv movie or 6 to 8 hour miniseries that tells the story of how the whole zombie apocalypse began.

• Joe Bradley says:

For anyone that isn’t interested on a companion series………simple solution. …….DON’T WATCH. Problem solved.

16. msnyder1985 says:

I’m not going to get my hopes up too high for this spin-off, but I will definitely be giving it a chance. I am also a little worried that it might pull too much from the creative side of the original. I’m more curious about what’s happening with the “Preacher” series that AMC was supposedly creating.

17. Alan says:

Might work if Glenn & Maggie embarked out on their own amd the spin off was centered around them…

18. That’s one of the best shows oN AMC can’t wait to see what happens in season six.

19. Please don’t ever cancel the walking dead I love that show .

20. lanay says:

I am offended! If there is a story to be told it should! Could! Be told on this show! I feel like a spin off at thiz point esp is just an excuse! I know behind the scenes of shows pple fight over/for money power etc but I refuse to believe this happens with pple on this show everyone gets along famously! Peachy king. I wont acknowledge those evil dwellers trying to raise shyt with thr “spin off” kay bye.

21. Brent says:

Outside the United States, to see what its like outside this small part of the planet.

22. Ryan says:

They should film and base it in the Pacific Northwest, we already get the south, who cares about vampires, bring the zombies our way!

23. Kate says:

Last year’s shows were a big yawn…hope it’s better this season.

24. ken tornstrom says:

won’t be as good as walking dead

25. Glenn Blackwell says:

Quality, not quantity.
    Don’t go down the CSI: “pick a city” route.

26. heAther greene says:

I would like to see walking dead in Europe there was a show on BBC called survivors was a great show awesome actors but there was only one season really enjoyed that show so yes walking dead in Europe would be awesome

• quin says:

Actually there were two seasons. And it was a remake of a 70’s BBC show that ran for over a dozen seasons. Both very cool.

27. Chris says:

Seems like rehashing the same story. I had originally heard it would be telling the first days of the outbreak and how it happened. This seems a bit pointless

28. irisheyz55 says:

All I want to say is, I am obsessed with “The Walking Dead”. I first encountered the show on Netflix. I dumped them and got cable recently. Problem : can’t find that show listed anywhere on TW’s FX networks.

29. theresa says:

I think a spinoff would be great despite of what some other viewer have to say. I would like to see how it all began .plus we need more horror TV.

30. quin says:

I think your all way over thinking it. The comic is awesome. The show is awesome. And I’m sure, in its own unique way, the spinoff will be awesome. And probably nothing like anyone thinks it will be. Good luck AMC. Keep up the good work.