NBC Eyeing Sitcom That Would Air Live Every Week, With Live Commercials

Christopher Moynihan

Was NBC merely testing the waters with The Sound of Music Live and the upcoming Peter Pan Live? Might the Peacock next pull the trigger on a live weekly sitcom?

RELATED Fall TV Spoilerpalooza: Exclusive Scoop and Photos From 42 Returning Favorites

Our sister site Deadline reports that NBC is developing Hospitality, a multi-camera sitcom set at a midtown Manhattan hotel and which would air live every week — with some live commercials, to boot. (Though hopefully none for Dulcolax.)

Christopher Moynihan (pictured) — a writer who’s also acted on comedies such as Man Up and According to Jim — would pen the script, while Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner’s shingle would produce with Universal TV.

RELATED Peter Pan Live First Look: Girls Star as The Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up

And no, before you ask, there’s no word on whether the show would be performed live for both coasts. Still, a provocative endeavor, yes?

1. Man Up and According to Jim? What a resume. Move over, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

• Zach says:

He was an actor (and a recurring one, at that) on According to Jim. He actually created Man Up (which I thought was rather underrated). The real impressive part is, he has a background in Christopher Guest movies, so that should really bode well with the live format.

• S. says:

This guy wouldn’t be improvising his lines. This sitcom would be written. Guest movies aren’t live. They have dozens of hours of improvised dialogue and he edits all that footage too so a ton of stuff that doesn’t work gets left out. It’d only really be relevant that he’s quick on hicas feet if he or someone else forgets a line or something gets screwed up. You’re basically gonna be watching a live taping of a sitcom where they can’t stop if some screws up. Could be fascinating or painful. Probably both.

• S. says:

quick on his* feet. Seriously? Definitely didn’t type that. Really needs to be an opportunity for autocorrect or typo editing on this site.

• David4 says:

I agree of all the writers in the world.

NBC is trying to keep up with it’s name, nothing but crap.

2. sam says:

This could be fun. At least it’s something different.

3. Diz says:

Every time a show has gone live that I can recall it has stunk. This is an easy pass for me.

• wordsmith says:

I thought the 30 Rock live episode was actually kind of amazing

• Kvivik says:

The ER live episode was also amazing, but I would not have wanted it every week.

• TV Gord says:

Don’t forget the Fox sitcom, Roc, which went live for an entire season after trying it for an episode the year before. These are all examples of live TV done well. People often forget that many shows were done live in the earlier years of television, including soaps.

4. Dave says:

I think it’s hilarious that people complain that everything is same-old same-old on TV, but as soon as someone tries something different, people are so quick to crap all over it. Maybe it will suck, but I definitely can’t fault them for trying.

5. jj says:

interesting concept! I’d definitely check out a couple episodes if it gets the go ahead

6. Anne says:

I’m against this because the few sitcoms that have done live episodes in the past always felt kind of flat. It was too obvious everyone was aware it was live and then the camera work and scene transitions were awkward. I just don’t see what the appeal would be past a few episodes.

7. Tony Lang says:

Though I applaud the ambition, I smell a repeat of the Jay Leno sho debacle…

8. Jason says:

I always remember Christopher Moynihan in the U.S. Coupling that aired on NBC 10 years ago.

9. Delante says:

This sounds interesting…nice and basic shouldn’t be too hard to pull off!

10. Dan says:

It’s a really nice idea. I think they should call the guys from WLIIA for that sort of thing. Even though it’s scripted, in case anything fails, they have master improvisators there to boot and guarantee the fun.

• Sheila says:

Long form improvisers would be better. Short form improv like Whose Line is only good for one-liners.

• Dan says:

“Improvisers”, not “improvisators”. Duh me. Thanks. I didn’t know there was a difference, but now that you mentioned… Why would long form be better for this if they would have a script anyway? They should just be able to recover from situations, no? And I guess those guys can come up with a whole episode out of the blue, if they want.

11. DebLG says:

Love the idea! I’ll be watching.

12. cuius says:

As long as the SNL script writers are kept away it might stand a chance

13. herman1959 says:

Since I’m usually the one complaining about copycat shows, I’ll at least try this if they can get it together (but, that’s a big “if”).

14. AnnieM says: