Joan Rivers: 15 Memorable (and Hilarious) Career Moments

Joan Rivers Death

She had a reputation for being as hard-working as she was hard-hitting (and hilarious) — and a quick glance at Joan Rivers‘ long list of small-screen credits bears that out.

RELATED Joan Rivers, Tart-Tongued Comic and Emmy-Winning Host, Dead at 81

Whether killing it with standup routines on everything from The Ed Sullivan Show to The Tonight Show to Carol Burnett or, later in her career, skewering celebrity style (or lack thereof) on Fashion Police and countless talk-show appearances, Rivers (who died Thursday at the age of 81) was outspoken, authentic and certainly never boring.

We’ve put together a gallery of 15 fascinating career highlights — along with handy links to YouTube footage — as a tribute to the late, great comedienne. So give it a click, then drop a comment with your favorite Joan Rivers memories below.

1. Tran says:

I remember Joan Rivers when she was the “center square” on Hollywood Squares with John Davidson as the host.

2. Lana says:

I remember Joan from the tonight show years and on Carol Burnett, I went with her when she started her own talk show (she was the first, not Chelsea) and she has made me laugh every step of the way. I am devastated and I will be mourning her for awhile as I am so tired of the politically correct humor, she was a breath of fresh air. She could say the most outrageous things and you tried not to laugh, but you couldn’t help yourself. She pulled it off cause she said outrageous things about herself and they were just as funny and insulting as anything else she would say about others. Oh man I am going to miss you soo much Joan and I am going to miss my weekly Fashion Police. I am a Joan Ranger forever!! Melissa my heart goes to you, my mother is the same age and I can’t imagine losing her even at 81.

3. jm says:

i watched her and Rita Moreno in the Tonight Show. She was simple great
    And about the roast… Kathy + Joan = Gold!!!

4. Quinn says:

This was amazing. Thank you for putting this together and it was a perfect way to remember Joan Rivers

5. Polball says:

Joan Rivers was one of a kind. I was so lucky to see her live show. She was very funny and sharp. She will always be missed. Rest in peace.

6. Jan says:

Thanks for putting this together, Michael & Andy! Loved the Margaret Thatcher bit, which I had never seen. Wanted to point out that Joan was one of the screenwriters for “The Girl Most Likely To …” which was a hilarious movie with Stockard Channing & Ed Asner. I’m hoping it will be re-aired in her honor sometime soon. Joan’s daytime talk show provided me with lots of laughs when I really needed them the most. When I met her at a book signing and told her that, she spoke to me at some length and was incredibly kind. I may not have always agreed with some of the things she said, but I will always love her … miss her, already!