First Grey's Anatomy Footage: Mer Finds Comfort in [Spoiler]'s Arms

Well, that didn’t take long.

Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes recently revealed that problem-plagued, BFF-deficient Meredith would begin leaning on Alex like never before, and the first promo for the Sept, 25 Season 11 premiere already shows her, um, literally leaning on her longtime colleague.

RELATED Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites, Including Grey’s Anatomy

“I don’t know if my marriage can survive this,” she laments to Alex mid-hug in the above clip.

Press PLAY on the video and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Does Alex have the potential to be Mer’s new Person?

1. Rachel says:

I’m literally crying because of this promo…I’m pretty sure the writers will fix this but still…it’s really hurting me right now, MY SHIP IS SINKING

2. C says:

I love Meredith and Alex’s friendship and, while I will miss Cristina, it getting more focus in her absence is pretty cool.

• canadian ninja says:

Ditto – the show has done a good job of steadily building the Alex/Mer friendship into a very clear brother/sister thing over the years. Mer is definitely the big sis but Alex is tough enough to hang with her.

• Ally Oop says:

In the past, I always figured if Derek got killed off, Alex and Meredith should get together. However, Derek is alive and I just don’t like the idea of them breaking up. As for Alex and Jo, I’m still not sure I like the pairing. I find it too contrived and they don’t have enough chemistry. I want Alex to be happy and I like Jo but I don’t want them together anymore.Though I don’t see Meredith looking at Alex in that way, I could see Alex start to see Meredith as a potential love interest. It will be really interesting to see how Shonda writes their relationship.

3. DarkDefender says:

Alex could totally become Mer’s new person, but he could never be the “person” that Cristina was. It will have to develop differently, but can highlight that men and women can be very close friends without the sex… and I will miss the “two women can be friends and soul mates but not a couple” thing they had going.
    P.S. Mer/Der will always stay married.. Otherwise what was the point of them getting through all the angst in season 8 (which was way worse than just being a long distance family)?

4. Kenneth says:

Anyone know who sings that cover of Too Close?

5. Dominique says:

I’m glad they’re going back to the Alex/Mer friendship. I know Shonda always said Mer/Cristina was the true lovestory of GA, but personally, I always enjoyed Mer/Alex much more, and they’ve sort of been missing these last few seasons. So this makes me very happy!

6. Thanks for finally talking about >[VIDEO] Greys Anatomy Season 11 Premiere – Meredith and Derek | TVLine <Loved it!

7. excessive thougɦtѕ, phone calls, oг requests tօ get together starting arly in the
    relationship. Υou live and die ѡith the repercussions and consequences of yor own choices and decisions.
    Αccording tо tɦе animation creator, Marc Davis, Maleficent ԝas designed to look liƙe a “giant vampire bat.

8. Sara says:

This promo is heartbreaking and this song!!! My MerDer.. I believe they will get through this and come stronger than ever!!! Love the Mer/Alex friendship and so happy it’s gonna get the focus. :)

9. lynne says:

As a woman I adored Mer and Cristina’s “you my person ” ,soul mate relationship ,it was a really inspiring take on female friendships but it feels organic and natural for her to lean on Alex at this time .I love Grey’s!

10. EM says:

Alex will be there for Mer as a friend only. Hope it doesn’t go beyond that. I too always loved the Alex and Mer friendship.

11. Erin says:

I loved their friendship early on when, after sleeping with George, Alex told Mer that she gets drunk & sleeps with inappropriate which he found charming. They have different history but are very much the same.

12. Tia says:

So happy Meredith and Derek are finally going to get what it looks an amazing, compelling storyline together!! Hope it gets the focus it deserves, most interesting storyline Grey’s have. They will get through this like anything that happened to them in these past 10 seasons.

Dear, TVline Please interview Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, I want to hear from them about season 11 and especially their big storyline which is the talk. :)

13. Maryone says:

Alex has always been like her brother, she always knew she could count on him for anything. They already are best friends, I don’t understand why people keep forgetting this and acting like it’s surprising. Oh yeah, maybe it’s because people always forget Alex.

14. Wow. Meredith and Alex are the only ones left from the interns of Season 1.

15. Catherine says:

I am just glad that Justin Chambers is still on Grey’s and will have more of a role than that of being with Jo. I am glad that Cristina left him her shares and now he can be there for Meredith. He can never replace Cristina that is for sure, but he can be a very good friend when the occasion calls for it. Besides, any role or any story line that has him front and center even if for a little while is just fine with me.

16. Cathy Viviano says:

Oh bloody hell, Meredith finds comfort in Alex’s arms.
    Geez, maybe Derek could have a one night stand with his ex Addison Montgomery

17. jegworld says:

Ridiculous I am not watching them mess this up after all these years

18. btender says:

Alex will screw up again…he always does…and Meredith will stick by him…she always does…that’s what they do…like brother and sister…he will NEVER be her person….

19. Tarrenn says:

In my opinion, Alex HS always been one of Mer’s people! Their friendship is one of the most enduring relationships on the show. I’ve loved it for ten years. Never want to see it go beyond platonic; their sweet living friend vibe is enough!!

20. kym says:

Did those characters ever actually get married? Cause all I remember is that stupid post it note. Why do they insist on saying that they’re married if they really aren’t?

21. Anna says:

To be honest, I always loved Alex and Meredith’s friendship more (I know this is blasphemy for a Grey’s fan, since everyone else is obsessed with Cristina). I’m excited to see how their friendship will grow now that their threesome has been bumped to a twosome.

22. Maame says:

Season eleven omg can’t wait

23. Lcanaled says:

ahhhhh, i am so happy i stopped watching this program.

24. DR JUDY says:

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooo…….

25. cindy says:

bring Izzi back. Alex found someone and Derick and Merideth are boring right now. Since Izzi
    left, there has been nothing happening. Throw a wrench in Alex’s relationship with izzi, and bring in another, younger Mark to shake things up with the interns. Get Callie a boyfriend send Arizona to Arizona, permmanently.

26. Leana says:

A romantic storyline with Meredith and Alex is just absurd!! Meredith already had her jack hole moment when she slept with George. The show honestly almost lost me with that one because it just didn’t make since; it just not make since for Alex and Meredith to have an affair. PLEASE! PLEASE!! PLEASE!!! Shonda, do not do this to Meredith and Derek. To me, if an affair has to be had, it almost makes more since that it would be Derek this time with someone in Washington. He’s been the “victim” of an extra-marital affair. He’ll meet someone in Washington that is supporting him being there while Meredith is at “home”