Pilot Scoop: Dexter's Jennifer Carpenter to Star in USA Network's Stanistan

Jennifer Carpenter Stanistan

Debra Morgan is heading abroad.

Dexter vet Jennifer Carpenter has snagged a starring role in USA Network’s M*A*S*H-esque dramedy Stanistan, TVLine has learned.

RELATED Dexter Series Finale Post Mortem: EP Reveals Why [Spoiler] Had to Die

The project, penned by up-and-coming scribe Andy Parker, centers on the staff at the American compound in the Middle Eastern country of Stanistan, where State Department workers, covert CIA officers and journalists operate in a delicate balance of danger and silliness using every coping mechanism available.

Carpenter, who recently headlined the ill-fated ABC drama pilot Sea of Fire, will play Public Affairs Officer Marcie Post, the daughter of a well-respected diplomat and the newly appointed spin-master for all US Government activity in the country of Stanistan.

1. Morse says:

They couldn’t come up with a better name for a country than Stanistan? Seriously?

2. bae says:

So a bit like the british miniseries Ambassadors?

3. cdhaskell says:

I just pray and hope that the series will do better than the title. I am happy that Jennifer Carpenter got another series in her pocket. Good luck to the future.

4. DL says:

And here I thought the title referred to a main character whose name is Stan. xD That said, thrilled to have Jennifer Carpenter back on my TV.

5. Andrew says:

Fake middle-eastern country is fastly becoming my least favorite trope.

• cdhaskell says:

The writer don’t have to worry about getting in trouble with the real middle eastern country for any reason. I believe that was the reason why the ABC Family newest series was cancel before it was started.

6. Jenny says:

That’s great news. Loved her on Dexter.

7. Jenna says:

Thank you! I’ve been missing Jennifer. Hope it’s good. Other than the addicting Rush, I haven’t had any USA shows that interest me.

8. Dan says:

To be honest, I don’t usually have a problem with titles. This one caught my eye, tho. The name “Stanistan” sounds absolutely ridiculous. I mean, the “-stan” countries are named after people, the tadjiks, the uzbeks, the afghans… What is this now? The stannis? Hey, that’s already someone in Game of Thrones! More seriously, tho, the name is the epithome of avoidance of any kind of problem or any sort whatsoever. Instead of choosing a proper name, they resource to mockery — in what appears to be a serious drama. The show is born already in the worst possible restraints.

9. Joey says:

Would’ve preferred Sea of Fire.

10. Bender says:

Stanistan is right next to kerblakistan, don’t you people know that

11. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see the first episode and see what the series is all about.Good luck to the future.