Downton Abbey: First Season 5 Trailer Features Surprise Hookups, Raging Infernos, Exposed Secrets

“I feel a shaking on the ground I stand on,” opines Carson in the opening seconds of Downton Abbey‘s first Season 5 trailer.

Yes, change will be in the air when the worldwide smash returns stateside on Jan. 4 (9/8c, PBS), and, based on this 60-second clip, some of it is fairly scandalous.

RELATED Downton Abbey EP Talks ‘High-Stakes’ Season 5, Mary’s Long Road to the Altar

“In the new season, we have the high-stakes drama, the laugh-out-loud comedy and the romance,” EP Gareth Neame recently declared. “We have all of the characters doing the things people love to see them doing, but we have a few really nice twists and turns as well.”

Several of those twists are spoiled in the trailer above, so proceed at your own risk.

1. Bill says:

It will be a long four months!

2. What is the surprise hook??? What secrets were revealed??? What am I missing?

3. GeoDiva says:

Looks already better than last season! Scandalous!

• Geo says:

I hope it is better than last season. Last season was by far the worst, and I hope they fix some of the problems from last year and get the show back on track.

4. GhostWolf says:

So the UK airs it in September and the states have to wait until January. Why can’t they air it sooner (eg Doctor Who airs same day as it airs in the UK). DVD will probably be available before year-end from UK so will see then.

• i heard that that’s how pbs wants it
      no idea why though

• spartan_Cheer says:

Pbs gets better ratings in january b/c it doesnt have as much competition as in september. so frustrating that we have to wait so long and be spoiled!

• Larc says:

Doesn’t bother me. PBS has their schedule and I have mine. ;)

• adamcala1234 says:

It is a shame that there is a big gap… But us in the UK tend to get it far worse off (it’s been getting better lately… Because we do get Game of thrones the day after it’s on in the US and the walking dead tends to be a few days after) but there are shows that take ages… Like we are about 3/4 away through the last season of The office (which finished in 2013 in the US), about half way through the latest season of the middle. And they aren’t even going to show season 9 of Supernatural or season 3 of Once upon a time… And what’s worse is the DVD releases over here, I’m still waiting for season 3 of The Middle to be released.

• JessicaJaynee90 says:

now you now how we feel when american programmes take months to come on air over here!!

5. Luke says:

“Surely sevents are human beings too…” “Yes, preferably only on their day off.”
    definitely a promising season; can’t wait !!! glad to see that other characters are getting storylines (besides the usual Mary); finaly we’ll find out Miss Baxters secret;

6. R. Malley says:

It’s all about money. Even the story line has changed because Mr. Fellow’s isn’t just writing a good story anymore. He is trying to make other people happy. It’s just not quite as good.

• Kath Jones says:

Probably for the American market, won’t be long til they’re claiming it!

• Mary Ann says:

You misjudge us! One of the things I ADORE about DA is that it is so British :)

• Samuel says:

“British”? It’s English.

• Mary Ann says:

LOL! We uneducated Yanks just think “British”….(amazon.com even has a special category for “British” Mysteries)….as in Great Britain, as opposed to the United Kingdom…..my apologies…..I would not want someone thinking Canadian if I said American TV ;)

7. Saluzzo says:

Looking forward to it! I’ll stream it from the ITV app on my iPad in the autumn and then watch it on the big screen (without commercials) when it airs here in 2015. Yay!

8. TW says:

There are ways to watch in the US before January. You just need to know where to look. ;)

9. Allie says:

I’m so excited to see this season! I loved what they did with the show after Matthew left. I was expecting to dislike it and that it would go downhill, but I loved the little love triangle they created for Mary. This season looks like it will deal with some huge themes and hopefully resolve some of Mary’s conflict! I’m looking forward to watching it.

10. Kelly says:

I wish we could see it here in the states now, and not have to wait until January!!!

11. twyla muir says:

Fabulous show,amazing writers and actors, this show should remain for some time

12. jen says:

If possible could you not put spoilers in the title (i.e., “Downton in flames?”). This appears in people’s newsfeeds who do not want to read the spoilers. Posting that there is info about Season 5 is great. Then people have the choice whether to read/watch the video or not.

13. I feel this is among the most vital information for me. And i’m happy studying your article.
    However want to observation on some general things, The site taste is perfect, the articles is actually nice :
    D. Good task, cheers

14. In this way you can educate yourself in determining the
    problems you may face such as the “Red Ring of Death” and many other technical problems.
    Forget answering; rather imagine a day, when the Internet connection had
    blocked due to technical fault or any other reasons. Most of us who use computers make use of the products branded by Microsoft.