Update: Joan Rivers Upgraded to Stable Condition

Talent Managers Association's 2013 Heller Awards

Joan Rivers was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City after she stopped breathing during throat surgery on Thursday, according to various reports.

The 81-year-old comic legend and host of E!’s Fashion Police was reportedly undergoing surgery on her vocal chords at a clinic on the Upper East Side.

UPDATE: E! is reporting that Rivers’ condition has been upgraded from critical to stable.

Rivers’ daughter, Melissa Rivers, released the following statement Thursday night: “I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming love and support for my mother. She is resting comfortably and is with our family. We ask that you continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers.”

1. bigdede says:

I need her to be okay. I NEED Fashion Police. I know that’s selfish but the stuff she says on Fashion Police makes my day. She’s so funny. I remember the first time I saw her was in the Muppets movie. I didn’t know she was so crass until I got older

• Dan says:

The thoughts exactly! I spend at least a good half hour each week trading quips that Joan made on the latest Fashion Police and indeed it brightens my day every time. Prayers to Joan that pulls through this!

• meresger says:

^This! She says things no younger person could get away with. Her non-PC comments, esp. on Fashion Police, crack me up. No one can rip a celeb a new one over their fashion violations like Joan. And, of course, she paved the way for female comics, and would probably joke about it being before the Romans invented concrete with her great self-deprecating humor. I really hope she recovers and returns to her crass comic ways.

2. Steven says:

I hope she’s ok.

3. GuessWhat says:

Get better soon, Joan!

And if you don’t have anything nice to say about this legend — then please think twice about posting something vile. Just step away from the computer, take a deep breath and move onto something else.

4. eviloverlore says:

Sending her healing vibes. She is legendary.

5. Dan says:

She’s right across the street from me here in the upper west side in NYC. Praying all goes well!!! Wishing the best outcome for this honest, earnest person!

• Kirbee says:

She’s at Mt. Sinai Hospital which is on 5th Avenue between 89 and 101 Streets. That is the East Side, also might be called “The Upper East Side” of New York City, not the “upper west side.”

6. Melissa Hang in there this is a terrible scare. I have been praying all morning I know mom will be fine. Joan I am praying and God always listens. Get well soon.

7. elses says:

Stable is not a condition!

8. Angela says:

So scary! Sending along good wishes. Hope she’ll be okay.

9. Chris Maness says:

Very relieved to hear that Ms. Rivers has been upgraded from critical to stable. Wishing her well and a speedy recovery. All my best to Ms. Rivers.
    Kindest Regards,
    Christine Maness🌹

10. Wait… if she had to be rushed to the hospital in the middle of her surgery… where the HECK was this surgery taking place IF NOT ALREADY IN A HOSPITAL?

• She wasn’t actually having surgery – she was having an outpatient procedure at a physician’s office, and so when she stopped breathing, she went to the hospital via ambulance. That explains your confusion. Many physicians’ offices and surgery centers can administer light anesthesia. Not general. There is a difference.

11. pinkfoxblog says:

Love Joan Rivers. Praying that she’ll be okay.

12. Irene says:

Prayers are with you Joan. Get Well Soon

13. stujackman says:

Wow joan there nobody as good as you.Your incredible you always keep laughing I hope you feel better

14. Maria Ruiz says:

We love you Joan get well soon! The world needs more of you! You know how to keep it real.

15. Chad Smith says:

This is one celebrity I just can’t pull for. I’m completely indifferent. Mostly because she comes across like such an unlikeable, hateful and spiteful b***h. So yeah, whatever.

16. Marsha says:

Get well Joan You are an important part of the world of comedy

17. Toni Lofink says:

Just want to say I know you are so strong Joan I know you will hang in there, always wanted to see you live. You say and do things that I always want to do I want to be just like you.

18. Lois Cain says:

All best wishes for a complete recovery. You have such spunk and I thoroughly enjoy watching you on Fashion Police. Nobody can do it as good as you. You are a beautiful woman.

19. WE LOVE HER.. she makes me laugh more than any comedian, keep fighting Joan…

20. cone says:

I love watching jone she is the fanciest lady I know I wish her the best.

21. cone says:

Joan you will be ok I am from vary religious country from Ethiopia. so I will pray for you from today until u ok.so I hope u will be ok.

Cone.

22. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Joan cracks me up on Fashion Police I don’t really care much about the fashion I watch that show for the comedy. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and get back to making those wisecracking jokes……on everyone and everything!

23. Dora says:

why would she go to an endoscopy center and NOT a hospital. she is wealthy she could afford it . it was so dangerous not to be in a hospital.

24. My very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Joan Rivers. I pray that she is around for many years to come. We need her and her great sense of humor.

25. bill tovtin says:

“Stable” is not an upgrade from critical. A patient can be critical and stable or critical and unstable.

For example a person can be brain-dead and be in “stable” condition.

26. Fefi Lockheart says:

I am glad to read that she has been upgraded to stable. She is my hero. Stay strong Melissa. The world is praying for your mom, you and Conner. Ask, believe and receive.

27. Sue says:

I did her hair at the Maralogo club on Palm beach and she is the most wonderful and sweet lady! I was so nervous to meet her but she was so warm. I pray that she has a quick recovery!

28. beth duncan says:

thoughts and prayers to Joan and her family!