Emmys

Seth Meyers' Emmys 2014 Opening Monologue: Just the Jokes, Ma'am — Plus: Grade It in Our Poll!

Seth Meyers Emmys Opening

Seth Meyers set the bar lower than a Kardashian Q-rating for his debut gig as host of the 2014 Emmy Awards.

“If you can avoid a train wreck, everyone will be happy,” Meyers told Today host Al Roker some 12 hours before he took the stage for a much-scrutinized opening monologue.

So how did the host of NBC’s Late Night fare on TV’s biggest night?

Well… first off, there were no special guests, no dancers, no musical interludes, no stinging/edgy zingers, no pre-taped parodies and no wacky montages.

RELATED  Emmys 2014: And the Winners Are….

Instead, the genial former head writer for SNL relied on topical TV humor, joking that the telecast’s positioning on a Monday night in August was essentially network shorthand for “about to be cancelled,” then arguing that a network-hosted awards show that gives all its statuettes to cable series was akin to music-free MTV holding the VMAs.

In one of his funniest observations, Meyers noted “we had comedies that made you laugh, and comedies that made you cry — because they were dramas submitted as comedies.”

The host also discussed the series finales of Breaking Bad, Dexter and How I Met Your Mother, pointing out that “Jesse Pinkman lived, Dexter lived, but your mother didn’t make it: Sleep tight!”

RELATED  Emmys 2014: Ausiello Picks Who Should and Will Win

Finally, Meyers ended with a discussion of HBO’s Emmys dominance (it’s like a kid in high school who wound up doing a lot better than you’d expected), Netflix’s 31 nods (and how they’ve given the networks a reason to cheer — since it means cable is no longer the new/hot kid on the block) and NBC’s Emmy fortunes (“it’s also a network,” he joked).

It may not have been LOL-rageous, but it was pithy and moderately amusing — perhaps not the worst tone to set for this weekday affair?

What did you think of Meyers’ opening monologue? Grade it in our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Tran says:

Keep up the good jokes Seth.

2. M3rc Nate says:

For safe, non specific jokes that dont hurt anyone’s feelings, they were REALLY funny and right on the dot. I liked the mix up however when Kimmel came out and was sharp tongued and ripping on some people (obviously friends, in good jest).

3. Babybop says:

I thought it was hilarious.

4. More typical, generic Seth jokes that continues his mediocrity from Weekend Update. Was hoping I’d never have to hear it again.

5. raftrap says:

Smirk-worthy at best.

6. Alichat says:

I thought Seth was hysterical. And I liked that they had some of the presenters doing some pretty funny bits while on stage. I think they could have scattered more of those throughout the show. They seemed to be concentrated to the first half of the show.

7. JR says:

Breaking Bad. The whole show.

8. april-ann says:

I thought he was wonderful. Hope he’s called upon again, for this and for bigger things. :)

9. nickp91 says:

the Emmys being more entertaining than the VMAs until this year! Seth Meyers is hilarious!

10. Faye says:

I thought Seth was very good minus a couple of missteps. Particularly, since it was his first time hosting, I gave him an A. An A- or B+ might be more accurate but those weren’t offered.
    Even though I am not a Kimmel fan, it was a good move for him to come in to deliver those great zingers. It’s just not Seth’s style.

11. Meh says:

I think Seth Myers has the perfect comic delivery and blend for an Awards show. Kimmel was hysterical, but history has proven that award show hosts that make too many borderline offensive jokes don’t get great reviews. I think Ricky Gervais is hysterical, was last night and as a host, but he got skewered as a host. Celebs like making fun of each other….to a point. Narcissists can only handle so much!

12. LaBete says:

I was surprised how funny Seth Meyers was last night! I liked his jokes and his presenting skills. I also like how the show really moved along and focused on the awards with some funny bits thrown in, like the GoT’s number.

13. DebLG says:

Loved him and Billy with the Billy on the Street bit in NYC. So funny. Overall, Seth was great. And Amy was an added bonus (and Andy).

14. cjeffery7 says:

he might not have the bravado of other host-types (singing, dancing, borderline offensive jokes), but his jokes are really friggin smart. maps props to him always for that.