True Blood Finale Recap: Kill Bill?

True Blood Series Finale

“What if all I want right now is to see you live?” Sookie kicked off Sunday’s True Blood series finale by laying her demands for Bill on the line — but did she get her wish?

RELATED True Blood‘s Best Deaths | Best Villains | Best Sex Scenes

Ultimately… no, no she did not. “Show me the true death, and you’ll be setting us both free,” he begged, suggesting that she use her “True Kindness” fairy ball on him, thus relieving herself of both him and her fairy-ness in one fell swoop.

It ended up being a murder/funeral for the ages: Bill crawled into his coffin, with Sookie’s fairy ball dramatically hovering over him. And while she ultimately couldn’t kill him that way — she decided to stake him instead — she got the deed done. Regardless of your ‘ship, you can’t tell me your heart didn’t break into a million pieces watching Sookie mourn the love of her life.

True Blood Series FinaleUP IN SMOKE | In an unprecedented — but not at all unwelcome — move of trickery, Eric and Pam let Sarah Newlin escape, before sending Mr. Gus and his Yakuza cronies (literally) up in flames. (Rest in pieces, you forgettable fools.)

Another surprise was Sarah’s desperate plea for Pam to turn her into a vampire, even offering to go full-lesbian in exchange. When Sarah referred to herself as a potential Tara replacement, I honestly thought Pam was going to rip her throat out; instead, she offered up this killer line: “I wouldn’t let you go down on me for a billion dollars.” (Cue the slow clap.)

WEDDING BELL BLUES | With more than a little help from Papa Bill, Hoyt asked Jessica to marry him. And while she was disappointed by the lack of romance, she couldn’t exactly deny Bill his dying wish. That said, how awkward was watching Hoyt ask Jason to be his best man? (And how crappy has this whole vacation been for Brigett? She had one fight with Hoyt, then the next morning, he’s marrying his vampire ex-girlfriend.) I also thought Andy’s “love is love” speech during the ceremony was a nice reminder of the LGBT allegory this show once was.

HAPPILY EVER AFTERS | Viewers were treated to an epic flash-forward at the end of the hour, revealing how our favorite characters — and Sam’s baby mama — ended up. Here goes:

* Eric and Pam become billionaires off of New Blood.

* Jason and Brigett get married (I assume) and start a family of their own.

* Sam and Nicole come home for Thanksgiving, alive and well.

* Lastly, Sookie marries… someone… and gets pregnant! (Update: Despite the uncertainty of a wedding ring, I’m sticking with my Sookie-is-married statement, unless proven otherwise, because of her pregnancy. She may be a fang-banging fairy princess, but Sookie Stackhouse is still a woman of traditional values.)

So… let’s talk about those endings. Are you sad Bill died? Who do you think Sookie ended up marrying? Did the finale leave you satisfied? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Annmaire Beller says:

Ok so eric ends as he began, looking miserable on his thrown at Fangtasia. But they are making $100,000 in cash downstairs with feedings on Sara Newlin? Really! Eric, Pam, Lafayette deserved so much more.

2. Heather says:

I just don’t understand how Hoyt, Andy, Bridgette and even Rev. Daniels got a scene but NOTHING for Lafayette!!! I mean he has been on the show since season one and has some of the funniest dialogue. I would have loved just one last “Please Hooker,”. I mean that Bridgette girl showed up like three episodes ago and got to speak on the series finale…..but NO LAFAYETTE!!!

Okay I’m done venting!

• Stacy says:

A perfectly good reason to vent.

• Fran says:

Yes. That to me is way worse than how they ended with Sookie. A character that was there from the very first episode and this is how they treat him? But seeing what they did with Tara I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

• Olivia says:

I completely agree!

• Bridget McNamara says:

Absolutely agree! Lafayette was such an integral character of the show from the beginning – and gave one of the best performances throughout the series – and instead of him, we get Jason’s latest bimbo in the finale! Odd, very odd!

3. ariel says:

This finale was lazy and unimaginative.

Such lazy writing, just so lazy.

4. Invictus1052 says:

The series never recovered from Alan balls departure from the show ! It hurts to see a show that was suppose to meet the true death but instead it was ???????

5. Wah says:

So sad bill died!!!! I always wanted them to find their way back to each other…there’s adoption if she had to have kids? I feel like anything short of her true love was not good enough.

6. Nickreras says:

I’ve been a big fan of the show since day 1, even through all the seasons I’ve been on board.

But what the HELL was that! You call that a series finale?

That was utter tripe, what a wasted season and missed opportunity to go out shining.

At least it’s over and the cast can go do something worthwhile now.

Yours,

Really disappointed fan :(

7. Samantha says:

First this finale gets props for the “tribute”to the most unrequited human/vampire relationship of all time.. Buffy & Angel. It was almost the same. I cried.
    Second, it was anti-climactic. Just like the books. 7 seasons for Sookie to realize she wanted to be normal? No thanks. They should have vamped her or given her the cluviel dor (from the books) and had her make a wish for a different ending. Oh well, will miss the show.

8. Fernanda says:

After saw this finale, I can’t imagine how The Vampire Diaries would end, I will hate if it ends like the Twilight book series and movies, but True Blood was a different thing on TV and I didn’t compare to Buffy, Twilight, Vampire Diaries or other vamp shows for teens, TB was for adults with real problems, sex and a tremendous adiction for V juice.

But seriously, after season 4 the show turned worst. We know that Bill or Eric aren’t endgames but I will prefer see Sookie with Alcide at the end of the show but the writers decided to kill him before gave them an opportunity to live a better life, the same thing with Tara, a great character completely ruined when the writers kill her twice (as human and vampire).

I’m glad that the writers never forget Hoyt and his amazing chemistry with Jessica.

People want to see kill Bill and the audience was pleased. Charlaine readers want the same thing on the books. Thak God True Blood writers never followed the path of the books and never put Quinn the were tiger on the show. Maybe the new man on Sookie’s life could be named Quinn. But the endgame for Sookie from the books was Sam.

True Blood’s Sam was so different from the books. This Sam was so complicated as all the characters for the series, but after this season I will love to see him with Sookie but not as a couple but the writers they could give us the idea about this two together as an open ending.

So Sad that Alan Ball didn’t at least penned any episode of this terrible season. I enjoyed this show but I agree about that HBO should end in season 5. The first 4 seasons were the best on True Blood story.

9. Luxy says:

Better than how the books ended.

10. Adam says:

Hahaha so glad Bill died! That alone makes it an awesome episode!!! Add to that some nice happy endings and I don’t get all the whining and belly aching.

11. Ruby says:

Such a wan ending for such an (initially) fun show. And how do you completely ignore one of the best characters in TV history, LaFayette? I was happy to see Bill bite it though, I’ve hated his character throughout the books AND the show. (No ill will toward Stephen Moyer, it’s just a bad character.) I thought I’d be angry if Sookie didn’t end up with Eric, but I think it makes sense what happened to him. Also, him grooving in the car was one of my favorite moments ever. I did like that Jess & Hoyt ended up together. Otherwise though…I could have thought of a million better ways to end the series. Just…when you have a series with SO many beloved characters, you give them love when it’s ending. You let the fans have their best moments so that they remember them fondly. This didn’t do that. And there was a LOT of wasted time.

12. Nunya says:

A whole finale dedicated to all the moments we didn’t need to see. How long does it take to show that Jess and Hoyt married. Big deal. Thanks writers…..your pretty much clueless. Instead of pleasing some you pleased pretty much nobody. This was my favorite show. I think you bored the fan right outta me. Absolutely subpar!

13. jojo says:

what the producers did was left it to our imagination. Which is a total cop out, what they could have done was given us closure as per seeing all the rest of the, TV series ending in the fashion of you be the judge and jury and executioner the could have should have and and might of happened. This is a slap in the face especially for such a series of True Blood. I have been the truth from day one today none and everyone who had a hand in this. Can still walk around with

14. Karen MT says:

I’m glad it’s finally over. The past season or two have gone way off the rails, and I basically wanted to see how it ended. I’ve never been a Sookie/Eric or Sookie/Bill shipper, so I was very glad to see they didn’t try to finagle that in. And I’m glad they didn’t try to shoehorn the book ending in (love it in the books, so couldn’t see it in the show). I’m fine with a guy we don’t know. I just got very squicky about Sookie sitting in Bill-goo. Ew.

15. Fran says:

I was past the point of caring what happened to Sookie… I found her unbearable so I didnt care who she did or didnt end up with. But it seemed like they were leading up to some kind of change for Eric and Pam so I found their ending disappointing. But the worst is not giving anything to Lafayette. That’s uncalled for. I really feel that the writers wanted out and it showed in this lackluster final season.

16. bwana says:

I suggest Sookie was married at the end. When she gives Whoever He Is a hug, she appears to have a wedding band on her left hand.

17. Tammy says:

I will not miss this show. I will miss a couple of the characters but not any of the leads.

18. Tharcy says:

I was quite curious to read people’s thoughts about the finale, even though I quit the show 3 seasons ago. Part of me is sad that it this doesn’t look like a satisfying finale judging from the recap and the comments, but the other part is so damn happy I got off this train when I got the chance. I’m gonna miss True Blood’s good ol’ days…

19. Two words about the ending: “It sucked!” How aprapos…[boring and our seven year investment is paid off with a statement about euthanasia, screen time wasted with characters we aren’t invested in, and Sookie, the heroine, the LEAD, has a random, off-screen union, with an unknown person, and they don’t even show his face??? I’m ticked. Sorry I wasted seven years. I wasn’t happy with the book series ending either, but at least she ended up with a character I was invested in. Uggh-sigh…..

20. Soosie says:

I was hoping a flash forward would have been Sookie as a grandmother on her deathbed and Eric shows up to hold her hand as she passes.

21. Tom says:

My favorite twitter comment was that Sookie’s baby daddy was actually lumberjack Dexter. That cracked me up!

22. Bay says:

Terrible ending. It would have been way better if she would have ended up with bill. So disappointed

23. Amber says:

Liked most of it bill took to long to die.. Hated that we didnt see sookies mans face. Was really wishing he would be a fairy from the past episodes or someone we knew about even warblow(sp?) would have been crazy but something.

24. Richard says:

extremely disappointing. way too much time wasted on minor crap. Bill’s ending scene could’ve moved along a little faster. Sookie ending up with some unknown schmuck was a huge letdown.

on a bright note, i did like Jessica and Hoyt marrying. it was a full circle moment. Also really liked Jason becoming a family man. Eric and Pam keeping Sarah as a blood whore for rent was perfect.

i gave this a C.

25. RebellioussSoul says:

Sookie ended up with a human. How unrealistic is that? When we were introduced to Sookie, we were told time and time again that human relationships never work out for her. Why? Because she could read their minds. Now they expect us to believe that Sookie had a happily ever after with a nice human man who she can hear? GTFOH. If that was the plan all along, they should have had her end up with Alcide. Even though I never cared for him, she would have gotten that ‘nice, human life’ she always wanted.

26. AT says:

Head Canon: In a few years time Sookie finds herself drawn once again into the supernatural world when her husband disappears. Needing Eric to help solve the mystery, she returns to Fangtasia to ask for his help. As they uncover the mystery, she learns her seemingly normal husband is not who he says he is and her daughter (who is also part fae) is in danger. Can she and Eric stop her husband’s plot before it’s too late? And can Sookie resist her attraction to Eric as they work together once more? (Yep, I feel much better.)

27. DarkDefender says:

As Hoyt said to his momma.. “You are full of hate!” (To each his/her own)
    I, for one, liked the final season and the finale. I thought they were going to end it with Sookie walking home from the graveyard and that would have been perfect. The time jumps and happy endings were just icing on the cake.

28. hello says:

Awesome that the neither shipper-camp got their wish

29. Elizabeth says:

Totally caught off guard sookie pregnant and no idea who her hubby is and really jess snd hoyt married in 24 hrs. Idk should have had another season. I miss it already.

30. Ophelia Payne says:

Seriously! This is what I invested seven seasons to see? After the first book, Bill is barely mentioned until the final three books, and then he is still a very minor character. He should have been killed off two seasons ago. Too much screen time with the Sookie/Bill contrived storyline. I am glad it’s finally over. I do feel cheated that Sookie’s husband is some random stray that we have no emotional investment with. This final was a huge swing and a miss.

31. christine says:

Bill’s death doesnt bother me. I think his logic was really twisted and asking Sookie to kill him was selfish. Why not just walk into the sun?

32. Stacey says:

This episode sucked big time I’m so disappointed with the writers such a great show with a crappy ending….i mean who did sookie marry?

33. AnnieM says:

I think I’ll miss Eric, Pam, and Jason the most.

34. chip says:

the best part was when sookie put her hands on bill’s shovel and he splooged in her face

35. Sandra Monsma says:

They couldve atleast showed who sookie got knocked up by and wish the series wasnt over. If i had the money id buy rights and do more series. Will MISS YOU TRUE BLOOD AM SAD ITS OVER. Maybe NETFLIX will pick up where the series ended Crossing my fingers.

36. Phoque says:

Was the our favorites a dig at Bill? Thanks for nothing. Bill is my favorite and he didn’t have a future. Pam and he-Pam get a future because the world sucks and sucky people run the world.

37. Sandra Monsma says:

BACK TO WALKING DEAD AND ONCE UPON A TIME. HELL ID EVEN SETTLE FOR THE 100 stupid HBO for ending TRUE BLOOD and to boot the way it ended. How could the actors settle for the writting of there last epi common you didnt give them any justice or supurbe ending.

38. sheryl says:

Don’t like the fact we don’t know who Skokie married

39. Sarah says:

I am soo mad at this ending. They needed like two more episodes to wrap the show up correctly.. They spent too much time on Bills death and too much time on the wedding! Then they basically just skimed through each characters fast forwards not really giving closure at all.. And then there is Sookie ending.. That should have had more to it, being as she was the main character in the show. I hate that she ended up with someone who we didn’t know. I believe she should have ended up with Erik just like she does in the book. Or so I am told. If not why not have a dark twist and have her die with Bill.. Bang fantastic ending! I’m not happy at all bout this. Worst finale I’ve ever seen!

40. AnnieM says:

Was it just me, or were they really teasing at Bill somehow turning human again? Sookie reading his thoughts, his feeing warm to the touch…my husband and I were thinking the fae blood was somehow only allowing the vampire part of Bill to die, and that he would wake up human again. Thought that right up until he went sploosh. Even then, we half expected him to regenerate like he did after Billith. So, yeah, I’m bummed about that. And Tara having been kicked to the curb. And NO Lafayette. Was glad about Jessica and Hoyt, also Jason and the blonde, and seeing that Arlene was still with the vampire whose name I’ve forgotten. Glad that Eric and Pam became quite rich, but WHY would they stay at little Fangtasia, when they could have built something bigger and better? Ah, well. Overall, as series finales go, I’d give this one a *meh*. :-\

41. TeeJay says:

Did anyone notice that Sookies “Future Husband” looked a lot like Alicide! I keep thinking.. “I wonder if she married a werewolf”.

42. ZomBuffy says:

I CANNOT believe they killed Alcide just to have Sookie end up with some unknown guy. If the whole point of Bill dying was for Sookie to have a normal life, she could have had that with Alcide.

• Sam says:

Good point! Wth I miss Alcide too! He shouldn’t have died and they could have ended up together. That would have definitely been better than some rando unknown guy.

43. Alicia says:

I kind of expected the series to end this way with Sookie living a normal human life and having a child but I was really hoping she would end up with bill and just be with him. I’m so upset that bill died I’m still in shock! The show isn’t what it used to be but I’m still sad to see it end

44. Jessica says:

I liked this ending better than the books where she ended up with Sam. In the books she was Eric mostly and their bond was unbreakable. I would of liked seeing her end up with Eric mostly bc if you read all the books it breaks your heart that in the end its impossible for them to be together.

45. AliTrueBloodFan says:

I have no qualms being in the minority. I liked the finale! Y’all take a show way too seriously. Bad finales are shows like Seinfeld and Quantum Leap. This had happy endings for everyone! Geeez. What were you all exactly expecting?! You get the dynamic duo of Eric and Pam having success. Sam is a happy family. Jason is a happy family. Sookie looks like she found happiness past losing Bill. I just wish it was expanded maybe 20 minutes more, so we could have seen more Lafayette before the ending. Jason got one more funny screwed up vocabulary moment in. I cried when Bill met his true death, but why didn’t she tell him she could read his thoughts and why couldn’t her Niall show up to do the fairy deed for her? All in all, I like happy endings and got one. The rest of you need to let go of the book, look at this own separate story, and you’ll feel so much better about it.

• Fran says:

Hmmm… I’m reading all these comments and it doesn’t seem like the books have anything to do with the unhappy comments….most people seem to be upset with the “forced” happy endings. They didn’t really make a lot of sense in terms of the plots of the characters this season…. It all seemed very thrown together. But hey, to each their own! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

P.S. I liked the Seinfeld finale so I know what its like to be in the minority.

46. Arya says:

My feelings were very conflicted about this. It was quite possibly one of the worst show endings I have ever seen, but the Pam and Eric scenes added some light to this episode…though I’m upset for my sweet Eric that he was back on that throne looking sad. And lord they wasted half the show on that wedding and on Sookie *finally* putting Bill out of his misery. And Lafayette..where was he?? They producers or writers or whatever of the show should write an apology letter for the many disappointed fans. Or, here’s an idea! A short spin-off about Pam and Eric, yes?? Man…I’m just so unsatisfied and upset..like this show was just stretched out a bit too long… R.I.P my hopes for a more satisfying ending (one, specifically, with more Eric).

47. Davene says:

I was sure that bill was going to change is mind and stayed with Sookie, does the writer knows how romantic the ending would be for fan if it had ending with bill and sookie a couple.

48. Colin Green says:

The show went downhill years ago and this entire season was horrible. Did anyone seriously expect the last episode to be good?

49. Sam says:

Best part was how things ended for Sarah Newlin. Otherwise, it sucked. The whole episode was incredibly slow paced and rather uneventful, with everything “important” crammed in the last two minutes. On top of that, Sookie ends up with someone entirely random and we don’t even see his face! Wasted investment of time for 7 seasons to not even know who the MAIN character ends up with.