Ariana Grande, Jessie J and Nicki Minaj Open the 2014 MTV VMAs — Thoughts?

VMAs 2014 Opening Performance

Oh my gosh. Look at her butt. Listen to her voice.

Heading into the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards, oddsmakers might’ve figured Nicki Minaj’s gyrating nether-regions would inherit the watercooler crown from Miley Cyrus’ 2013 VMA twerkstravaganza. But if one had to declare a winner after an opening medley of Ariana Grande’s “Break Free,” Minaj’s “Anaconda” and Jessie J’s “Bang Bang” (featuring the other two divas), it was the British songbird who rocked the hardest.

RELATED  Finding Carter Renewed for Season 2

This isn’t to say Grande’s vocals were anything but rock-solid during her spaceship-themed set, or that Minaj didn’t deliver the expected amounts of cheekiness (not to mention exposed cheek). But Jessie’s final set of runs on the ear-candy collaboration were positively exhilarating.

Bang-bang into the room she came — and possibly to the next level of stateside stardom, in the process.

(Minaj, meanwhile, may want to bang bang an MTV wardrobe minion with her fists — seeing how she spent the final third of the opener desperately clutching closed her malfunctioning minidress.)

What did you think of Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj and Jessie J’s opening number? Watch the trio perform “Bang Bang” below, then take our poll and sound off in the comments!

1. ABG. says:

Solid B. Break Free was well sung but boringly staged, Anaconda was very cool but yes, Jessie J stole the show (until Nicki’s dress broke).

2. Rob says:

The words Hot Mess come to mind.

3. Marj Slevin says:

Why was Nicki holding her dress closed on Bang Bang with Jesse J & Ariana Grande

• dman6015 says:

To prevent a true wardrobe malfunction. Dress didn’t get zipped from her quick-change after singing her own song.

4. Melissa says:

Jessie J was amazing, as usual. Hope she takes off here.

5. Ashley says:

Would’ve been much better if they’d just done Bang Bang. Ariana’s opening lacked enunciation through her lyrics to the point that all I heard was mumbling in between her runs. It might’ve also benefited the fact that they wouldn’t have had to have a wardrobe change where Nicki then had to hold her dress closed. An entire set of Bang Bang would’ve been better. It also would’ve meant four minutes of Jessie J (and her legs, wow). Damn.

• Cyn says:

Thank You! I have thought the same thing about Ariana Grande. Great voice, but she sounds like she has a bag of marbles in her mouth. Enunciate please.

6. Josh says:

I can’t see Ariana without thinking about her terrible brother.

• Kevin H. says:

Yeah, I really hope he gets voted off Big Brother this week. He’s so fake and annoying; I really don’t want another a-hole winning. That whole Zankie thing reeked of PR and now that Zach got voted out, I hope Frankie goes, too.

• now that I know she is Kat from a few of my kids fav shows I can’t even look at her the same.

7. Bob mike says:

Whaaaaaaa😱

8. ggny says:

Ariana got some growing to do. She is a robot on stage her vocals are great but she lacks the emotion Mariah and Whitney had

9. Sarah Osula says:

I saw a side of ariana grande I did not see before but I still love her

10. Michelle says:

I didn’t like it at all. It bothers me how perverted this was and everyone was okay with it. SO disappointed in Ariana. I KNOW she is old enough if she wants to do those things but it doesnt mean its correct. Regardless it was great vocals but they were all not clothed enough and trying to be sexy too much.

11. Terry says:

Agree Jessie J was the best of the 3 but not sure how much of a compliment that is. heh. Not commenting on Miss oops I forgot to do up my zipper. As for Ariana, I don’t enjoy her singing, her voice is a bit too shrill and high pitched for me, I prefer earthier tones. But I understand completely why she’s blowing up right now, she’s hella cute!

12. Catherine says:

Jessie J all the way! Bang! Bang! What a voice! I had never heard of her before tonight (yes, apparently I have been living under a rock) and I was blown away. Ariana’s performance was kind of lackluster, but what surprised me was the corset she wore onstage. That was a little more than I ever expected to see from someone that starred in a couple of Nickelodeon shows. Then again, Miley was a Disney darling…so yeah…Anyway, Jessie J has a new fan in me! First Adele with her awesomeness and now, Jessie J. What is the deal, America? Can we not have talent of our own anymore or is it that all the American “talent” has to put all of her “assets” on display to even be relevant? I digress. To each his/her own. The show was entertaining and the tweets were even more entertaining than the show!

• Temperance says:

Seriously, do yourself a favor, and check out Jesse J’s other work. She’s the best singer on the planet right now by miles.

13. phuong says:

As expected Jessie J stole the perfromance I love her she is so great live miss her on the voice though Ariana did well too but I had to skip Nicki anaconda perf. its just wierd to watch like the miley cyrus perf. last year I dont want to see that

14. Rosemary homeister says:

Why is it all about twerky sex? Is this all the blacks have to offer? Lets see some intelligent information in the form of music. That would be different and entertaining

15. Rosemary homeister says:

I’d like to see less offensive talk and dancing. We’re tired of all the twerking, boring. The artists could give us better

16. dman6015 says:

And Viacom pulls the video…

17. Paula says:

Jesse J was the best part.

18. sam says:

Nicki Minaj, 5 Star performance.!

19. Temperance says:

As always, Jesse J outsang and outclassed everyone on the entire show. She’s as good as it gets. Not to dismiss Grande, though… she was spectacular for only being 21, and her live vocals were *impeccable* (unlike so many others). She’s certainly one to watch. (And then there was the total vomitous trainwreck of Minaj…)