TVLine's Performer of the Week: Rick Hoffman

Rick Hoffman Suits Performer of the Week

A weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER | Rick Hoffman

THE SHOW | Suits

THE EPISODE | “This Is Rome”

THE AIRDATE | August 20, 2014

THE PERFORMANCE | It’s fitting that Louis Litt’s catchphrase is “Litt Up” because on Wednesday’s season finale of Suits, his portrayer, Rick Hoffman, set our televisions ablaze with his fiery passion.

RELATED Post Mortem: Suits Boss on Louis’ Power Play, Mike/Rachel’s Future

After learning that his colleagues had been lying to him about Mike’s non-existent Harvard degree, Louis confronted the one person who he thought was his close friend. “You acted like you cared about me,” he exclaimed to Donna, his eyes watering. “You didn’t give a s–t about me! You cared about you. And Harvey. And Mike. And Jessica.”

Hoffman brought an unbridled rage, fueled by hurt and years of betrayal, to the exchange. But beneath the terrifyingly powerful anger — which frightened even the steely Donna — was an extreme sense of sadness. “I knew Harvey and Jessica never really accepted me, but I thought you were different,” Louis continued, solemnly. “I thought you were my friend.”

Then he went on to have a heated face-to-face with his former boss Jessica, showing off a confidence and bravado rarely seen in the oft overlooked lawyer. His demands were loud and clear and laced with a bit of venom. But it’s when Louis revealed what he really desired that Hoffman truly wowed.

“Pearson. Specter. Litt,” he declared, his lips trembled as if overcome by his own strength. No doubt about it, Hoffman “litt up” the finale.

POTW_TheBridge Ted LevineHONORABLE MENTION | At first, he roared. As The Bridge’s Lt. Hank Wade, Ted Levine popped like never before on the FX drama, charging at Jack Dobbs upon realizing that he years ago could have shared his suspicions about his murderous brother Jim, and thus kept him from subsequently targeting Lisa Cross. “[Sonya’s] sister would be alive today… Thats on you, Jack,” he growled. But then Hank’s own dark truth came out — that back then when he tracked down and exacted vengeance on Jim, his prey was unarmed, contrary to the official report he filed — and he bowed his head in shame, seeing that Sonya’s regard for him had been shattered. “Knowing what that sonuvabitch did to Lisa, did to you… I knew what I had to do,” he quietly argued, capping a performance that brought rich new colors to Levine’s heretofore righteous lawman.

imrs.phpHONORABLE MENTION | Throughout this first season of The Leftovers, Ann Dowd’s work as Mapleton’s Guilty Remnant ringleader, Patti, has left us as speechless as the character usually is. No matter if the cult leader’s just been staring daggers or breaking her vow of silence to utter apocalyptic BS with absolute conviction, her portrayer has made her pathetic, infuriating and scary as hell. And, in her final episode, “Cairo,” the actress really went for broke, throwing herself into Patti’s poetic last monologue so wholeheartedly that it was impossible to say whether we were witnessing true faith or real madness (or both!). In either case, we sure witnessed one amazing swan song.

TAGS: , , , , ,
GET MORE: Performer of the Week

1. Jay says:

Louis litt like a boss

2. Anna says:

I know she got it last week, but Julianne Nicholson had me bawling this week in masters of sex. Truely spectacular work.

• Cate53 says:

So true! Could have been shared between Julianne Nicholson and Lizzy Caplan for this week’s Masters of Sex IMO

• Jenna says:

Totally agree. Julianne and Lizzy were amazing. I will so miss their relationship on the show. And, seriously, the whole cast was at their best in this episode.

• dubaiPrince says:

Maybe tvline should permantley name this feature Performer of the week from Masters of Sex. Even when the season ends they could still talk about actors from past episodes all year long. Forget other performers. MOS is the best show in the history of planet earth ever.

3. BetsyBoo says:

Rick Hoffman nailed it. So glad he was recognized!

4. Matt says:

I couldn’t agree with this more. When Louis was talking to Jessica in her office at the end of the episode was just amazing. I saw a different Louis. He was right and he deserves to be a name partner. I don’t like Jessica. Love the actress, not the character.

• Lisa says:

I love the actress and the character of Jessica. She’ a strong, successful woman that doesn’t take kindly to being backed into a corner. Usually she can fight her way out pretty damned well. I think Louis is really the first one to back her into a corner that she can’t get out of. She doesn’t always make the BEST decisions, but she also won’t (usually) concede because someone has backed her into a corner. However, like I just said, Louis just did exactly that, but even the strongest woman can’t win every battle.

• sawsuits says:

Hoffman has been good all season. Litt kinda had me feeling he was almost to emotional at the end. Emmy for Rick & Gina. But name partner-he doesn’t have the respect of his peers yet.it. Either way good ep/season. Jessica & Louis are my favs.

5. JAO says:

Rick’s performance was absolutely stunning! From a lawyer that is often portrayed as a buffoon (and I say this lovingly ) to a powerhouse who is letting nothing stand ion his way. Bravo!

6. Kim R says:

Yes. We were all Litt up. :D

7. Dee says:

Rick Hoffman was brilliant in this episode. I love the show’s writing and the chemistry between Harvey and Mike, but Louis has always been my favorite character! I hope Rick submits that for next year’s Emmy nominations. Bravo!!!

8. Lexi says:

Thank you for naming Rick Hoffman and Ted Levine… Outstanding actors. WOW!!!

9. Amanda says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Louis was on fire! Rick Hoffman was spectacular!

10. rowan77 says:

I love how Hoffman has taken this quirky jerk of a character and infused so much humanity in him. No one would have thought in season one that we would not only care about, but be dumbstruck by the depths of his emotions. The writing for this episode was superb, but Hoffman took it to a level that on any broadcast network (or FX) series, would have people talking about an Emmy. Because it’s the very beginning of the next Emmy year (hell this years Emmys are in two days), I’m worried that people won’t remember this performance and his run up to it.

So Kudos to Rick Hoffman and his tour de force performance and kudos to the rest of this talented cast who didn’t try to one up him, but gave him the support to just devour this episode.

• Shulaschmooze says:

Perfectly stated! Hopefully next year’s Emmy nominating committee will view Rick Hoffman’s submission whether it’s almost a year old or not because once they do there’s no doubt they’ll get goosebumps like we all did. Voters then will practically be wanting to hand Rick an Emmy the day they watch his reel!

• SK says:

Totally agree with you here. Louis was such a jerk in the beginning and so unlikable but look where we are now. I feel bad every time when he succeeds and is happy, they pull it out from under him. Why can’t they just let him be happy for a bit? I love Harvey but I didn’t really like the way he treated Louis in the past couple of episodes. Good thing he redeemed himself. Anyway, I do hope an Emmy is in the offing. Or we’ll all be Litt up!

11. jan in pa says:

I came here just to ascertain that Ann Dowd got her just desserts as Performer of the Week. I suppose an honorable mention will suffice. I hate to see her go. She has been fantastic to watch.

12. Rachelbarrs says:

What about Constance Marie for switched at birth!? Why is sab always getting snubbed by the Emmys and TVline!?

13. angel says:

Rick Hoffman was amazing this week! In this episode alone, he displayed such a range of emotions – from his despair over Sheila turning him away (again), to his rage-fueled demand to be made a name partner (which he has deserved for a while now).

14. Sparky says:

I love how Louis finally got to call Jessica on her crap after all this time. It was more than overdue. The downside is that Louis is getting his name on the door through blackmail and he is now party to the crime that is being committed by keeping Mike around. Which now begs the question what’s the reason for keeping him around and not just firing him. Everyone now knows as far as the actual cast is concerned.

• Shulaschmooze says:

Yes, Louis is now party to the deception if he gets name partner through bribing Jessica and then keeps Mike’s secret. It’s not all about the main characters knowing the secret now; Louis is threatening to turn Jessica in to the authorities for knowingly keeping a “lawyer” with fraudulent credentials in her employ.

P.S. I completely agree with you…Jessica had this coming for a long time now! She was never fair to Louis and this revelation was the ultimate betrayal to him considering his loyalty & devotion to the firm.

15. Cobra says:

THANK YOU! He ABSOLUTELY deserves it. Now, he deserves an Emmy Nod for Supporting Actor.

16. Angela McCarren says:

Rick Hoffman – Emmy! Emmy! Emmy! Great acting, he has created such a complex, flawed, and sympathetic guy you love and hate. Bravo!

17. Patrick Maloney says:

I agree with every single choice, great week of performances

18. Ange says:

I think Luis just backed himself in a bigger corner. Blackmail to get what you want never works. Ask the old partner

19. Casey says:

I came for the eye candy that is Gabriel Macht, but I stayed for Rick Hoffman. I’ve been slowly losing interest in this show all this season, but Louis has kept me tuning in week after week. Now that he’s becoming a name partner, my interest in this show has been restored. Everybody’s about to get Litt up, and I couldn’t be more excited! Team Louis!

20. Darlene says:

Excellent choice! Nobody ‘litt’ it up like Rick Hoffman this week. Amazing performance!

21. Karl says:

I was really hoping that Dallas Roberts would at least get Honorable Mention. I think he was fantastic in the last episode of Unforgettable. That show is full of great performances but he really stood out, taking his character through the emotional ringer.

22. CMarie says:

YES. He needs to submit that whole episode for his Emmy reel.

23. whoah this blog is excellent i love reading your posts.
    Stay up the good work! You understand, lots of people are
    hunting round for this information, you could help them greatly.

24. Joni says:

I couldn’t agree more about your choice for Performer of the Week. Rick Hoffman, who always shines as Louis Litt, really outdid himself in “This Is Rome”. I was riveted to my TV during his confrontations with Donna and Jessica, respectively. I’ve been on “Team Litt” for a couple of seasons now and his taking on both of these women just solidified that.

25. There’s definately a great deal to learn about this issue.
    I like all of the points you have made.

26. harga dompet says:

Howdy would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a hard time deciding
    between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The explanation I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!

27. There isn’t any such thing like a digital Television antenna or perhaps an HDTV antenna.

Getting an antenna installed is crucial and how it’s being done can also be very imperative.
    Supersonic outdoor hdtv antenna Then the cellphone
    came into being – no need for cables, but there was still antennae.
    Actually, the free broadcast HDTV is in the same way crisp and clean and clear and gorgeous as everything else being
    broadcast in HD. The outside Hd television antenna which is most well-liked is the medium directional antenna, given it’s much less big and possesses characteristics that
    prevent or reduce interference. Hdtv antenna vancouver canada If this could be the case, some indoor UHF antenna might work effectively
    for you. Elite® hdtv outdoor antenna with remote Find out about the best cheap LCD HDTVs, speakers, DVD
    players and Blu-ray players for your home theater setup.
    In addition, antennas perform most optimally when they
    are put on an elevated surface. Hdtv digital antenna hdmi If you want to enjoy
    a high quality picture and sound when watching TV, then you must have an excellent digital antenna and a few accessories.

TV antenna installation signal under consideration are quite
    similar inside the cell phone signal problems.
    If it means moving a computer device like a Blu-ray
    player closer for the HDTV, do that. Hdtv antenna outdoor
    canada But it really is crucial being informed that you do
    not have to replace your old antenna for a whole new one even though you acquired a new digital
    TV. Optimal reception will probably be received if it is possible to remove all or
    just as much interference as possible through the transmitter plus your Hdtv antenna.

Proper antenna positioning will permit the antenna to receive digital
    signals and also UHF analog signals. Winegard hd7000r outdoor hdtv antenna Ideally speaking, many people don’t want being heaving around about the roof putting up
    the antenna our self.