Emmys

Emmys 2014: Ausiello Picks Who Should and Will Win — Plus: Reader Poll Results!

emmy-who-will-should-win

The 2014 Emmy Awards have shifted to a Monday (Aug. 25, 8/7c on NBC) — but that’s not the only potential shakeup regarding this year’s telecast.

RELATED Emmy Nominations 2014: The 44 Biggest Snubs!

Newcomers like Orange Is the New Black, True Detective, Masters of Sex and Silicon Vallery will all attempt to meddle with the usual Emmy pecking order — which has seen Modern Family sweep Best Comedy Series for four staight years, and will welcome previous Best Drama winners Mad Men, Homeland and Breaking Bad back in the race once more.

TVLine Founder and Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello donned dual hats (one labeled “Critic,” the other “Prognosticator”), dove deep into 18 major categories, and cooked up a rundown of who should and who will be picking up statuettes in less than four days.

RELATED Max Adler Returning to Glee‘s Season 6 — Should Klaine Fans Be Worried?

Click through the gallery below for a closer look at how Ausiello handicaps the major Emmy races, then hit the comments and share your predictions (and dreams) for every category.

And stay tuned to TVLine all weekend through Monday night for the best Emmy coverage on the Internet!

1. Eric7740 says:

You think Lizzy Caplan will take Lead Actress?!? I honestly think it will go to Julianna Marguilles. Although I would love for Kerry Washington to upset!!! But she should have won last year! And no love for Julia Roberts??? I think she’ll take it, I mean its Julia Roberts! Other than that, I agree with most all of your other choices, good call Mike!

• abz says:

I just don’t want it to be Claire Danes again. Hope it’s Julianna Margulies. It still sucks Vera Farmiga wasn’t nominated this year for Bates Motel

2. Hamza says:

If Orange is the New Black wins anything, it will be a dark day for comedy.

3. Jane says:

I like Orange is the New Black but there was no way I could cote that it should win best Comedy. It isn’t a comedy. As a drama it is good. As a comedy it is a complete failure. Why on earth did they decide to put it in this category?

4. I am a huge Sherlock fan, and I adore both Benedict and Martin. But to say that anyone other than Mark Ruffalo deserves that Emmy for Lead Actor in a Miniseries/Movie is a travesty. He was like a force of nature in that role. And I think he *will* win it, because of the industry support for that film.

5. The Academy has really turned against broadcast network dramas in the past few years, preferring those on cable. (This year, net dramas got shut out of the drama series category (again), as well as writing and directing — and only The Good Wife and Scandal got any major nominations al all!) In the last two years, network dramas have won only three major Emmys — all of them for guest actor/actress. This year, Joe Morton (Scandal) has already won the guest actor/drama statue. Maybe TGW will get another win for the nets. Either way, the days when broadcast network dramas ruled the Emmys are over.

6. Boiler says:

I am sure I am in the minority, and probably should be, but I can’t watch the Emmy’s anymore. With all the different sources now used, some I just don’t want and some I can’t afford, I have no idea who many of the nominees are and if they win I can’t check them out anyway. I’m not saying that these other sources shouldn’t be included, although rules certainly different, but it has caused me to lose interest in the Emmy show. Those who watch enjoy! I’ll read a book or something

7. Rafael says:

Drama: True Detective
    Lead Actress: Lizzy Caplan
    Lead Actor: Kevin Spacey
    Supporting Actress: Christine Baranski
    Supporting Actor: Aaron Paul and Peter Dinklage [tie]
    Comedy: Orange is the New Black or The Big Bang Theory [could go either way]
    Lead Actress: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Lead Actor: Jim Parsons
    Supporting Actress: THE HARDEST CATEGORY.. i can’t pick 3!
    Supporting Actor: THE SECOND HARDEST CATEGORY
    Miniseries: Fargo and Coven [tie]
    TV movie: The Normal Heart
    Lead Actress: Jessica Lange
    Lead Actor: Martin Freeman
    Supporting Actress: Frances Conroy
    Supporting Actor: Matt Bomer
    Reality-Competition Series: The Voice
    Variety: The Colbert Report

My money on these winners!

8. André Lima says:

Lead Actor: Mark Ruffalo
    Supporting Actress: Julia Roberts
    Supporting Actor: Matt Bomer
    Reality-Competition Series: The Voice
    Variety: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

9. MattArmando says:

Almost agree with everything, but personal list of who probably will win…
    Drama Series: Breaking Bad
    Lead Actor: Matthew McConaughey (True Detective)
    Lead Actress: Kerry Washington (Scandal)
    Supporting Actor: Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
    Supporting Actress: Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
    Comedy Series: Modern Family
    Lead Actor: Ricky Gervais (Derek)
    Lead Actress: Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)
    Supporting Actor: Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family)
    Supporting Actress: Allison Janney (MOM)
    Variety Series: The Colbert Report
    Reality Competition Series: The Voice

10. MattArmando says:

Oops, here are the Mini/Movie categories as well…
    Miniseries: Fargo
    Television Movie: The Normal Heart
    Lead Actor: Billy Bob Thornton (Fargo)
    Lead Actress: Cicely Tyson (Trip to Bountiful)
    Supporting Actor: Matt Bomer (The Normal Heart)
    Supporting Actress: Julia Roberts (The Normal Heart)
    Regarding Supporting Actress, Julia has the second best performance in the category, but as history went last year in this category, the “namecheck” factor will probably kick in, leaving Oscar-winner, Julia Roberts, as the winner. Although, it’d be awesome to see Allison Tolman beat out Julia Roberts, Ellen Burstyn, Frances Conroy, Kathy Bates, and Angela Basset. THAT would be cool.

11. Alex Potter says:

A lot of the “Experts” say that Bryan Cranston should win but MM is going to win because it is just his year because he won the oscar and the voters want to watch him give a great speech……I dont even know what to say to that. smh ….Other than if that is true it would
    completely taint the emmys as far as Im concerned.

12. Vikram says:

I watched every single episode of Masters of Sex so far and I dont think Lizzy Caplan deserves to win. I hope Robin Wright wins. She is mesmerizing.

13. Babybop says:

I just realized I don’t watch any of these shows except for two of them. I guess this means I’m not emotionally invested… except for Amy Poehler. She has got to win this year!

14. jacobg2 says:

As long as The Big Bang Theory doesn’t win anything, I am happy.

15. Livus48 says:

I can not bealive that Castle did not get anything,after season 6 …….what is going on?????
    Same with Law and Order SVU…