Wizard of Oz Drama Emerald City Not Moving Forward at NBC

Emerald City Cancelled

Don’t bother following the Yellow Brick Road; you won’t find anything there.

RELATED Enlisted Officially Discharged as Yahoo Passes on a Second Season

NBC has decided not to move forward with Emerald City, an hour-long drama that had already been ordered to series, our sister site Deadline reports. Emerald City was to be a modern re-imagining of the classic Wizard of Oz universe, blending elements from author L. Frank Baum’s 14-novel collection. (Think Game of Thrones, but with flying monkeys.)

As TVLine exclusively reported, the series was to feature a colorful cast of characters, including Dorothy, her love interest Henry, the witches — named North and West — and, of course, the Wizard of Oz.

It’s still possible Universal Television could shop the series to another network, but no such plans have been made.

Are you bummed that Emerald City is a no-go, at least for now? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the series below.

1. Mare says:

Didn’t they promote this at comic con though? I thought I saw some promotion stuff, but they hadn’t even released a trailer yet. Seems odd to do so

2. Behzsd says:

Cable it is

3. Et al says:

I suppose we’ll just have to find solace in one of the other 37 Oz series in development.

4. David4 says:

I could see HBO picking up an Oz show after Game of Thrones ends.

5. androme3 says:

Aww man, I was really looking forward to it. Oh well…

6. Sara says:

Wow, this is surprising after all the promotional efforts they put in to it. But had they actually even cast most of the roles yet? I feel like I kept hearing about it, but not much about how far into production it had actually moved.

7. Tony Lang says:

And yet they went ahead with Katherine Heigl’s desperate attempt at a career ressurection…

8. Mike R. says:

I was kind of looking forward to this, I thought it was the most promising of Oz pilots, now end the hospital drama one too( that was one of them right?).

9. I was looking forward to it. It sounds really interesting.

10. JC1 says:

Well, I’m not too disappointed, since they hadn’t even cast for it yet as far as I know. But as someone else said, it’s the only one of the Oz projects that looked at all interesting to me, so, yeah, I guess a little bit disappointed. :(

11. James says:

This has been the year of never aired yet promoted and ordered TV series… (Us & Them, the Tina Fey one, the Egiptian one at Fox, am I missing anyone?)

• Marc says:

Networks need to do this more often. It’s been at least 25 years since a network could afford to air something for 13 episodes that is not working and still recoup most of the licensing costs. Just because you bought the pilot doesn’t mean the show will work. Read the scripts and pull the plug if it is not working as anticipated.

12. murley says:

This is disappointing news. Love the wizard of oz and a series like this, if done well, could have been awesome.

13. If you wish to amplify your presence, better reach out
    to market outside your primary demographics. All you have to do
    is variety in, let’s say “how to start off an home based mostly business” in the research box and press the research button.
    Presence on Facebook and Twitter Gives You Identity as An
    Expert.

14. Zorkel says:

So what’s really the point in ordering ‘straight to series’ if its not actually going to be followed through with?

• Delirious says:

Exactly my thoughts… I thought the non-written game rules were “if they don’t want it, they don’t pick pick it up for series, because if they do order it, it’s because they wanna air it”?

And add me to the group of people who was actually interested in the show, so yeah, kinda bummed…

• Tom says:

They wanted it but it probably didn’t work as they were continuing it. And a straight to series order means that it can’t be shopped around to anyone else while they’re retooling it. NBC owned it until they released them just now. It’s a sick mind game that they play.

15. Cody says:

Really hope they shop it around. I was really looking forward to this series!

16. Justin says:

So dumb when networks order straight to series and then pull back the curtain on viewers. They made a promise and promoted it and then went back on it. Lame. Should have at least re-tooled or made it into a mini series or something.

17. dan the critic says:

Was one of the few new shows that had promise.

18. Ray says:

The scripts must have been really awful for NBC to drop it this late in the game.

19. Lizo says:

This was the only Oz series that looked decent. The SyFy one is an abomination, and that medical one – wtf. Was looking forward to this one. Hope it finds a new home somewhere.

20. Chol H Yoon says:

Perhaps they should move this to the SYFY channel since they are owned by NBC.

21. John Jones says:

Smart move.

22. Kat says:

I hate Wizard of Oz story, it always freaked me out as a child along with the Alice in the Wonderland ( don’t ask me why lol) so I am not really bumped.
    I also didn’t even heard about the show being in production in the first place

23. Fabe says:

I was hoping for an NBC’s Hannibal type stylized version of Oz. I know I had impossibly high hopes, but I’m still disappointed it’s not moving forward.

24. Luke says:

In what way is The Wizard of Oz like Game of Thrones…? I would love to have that explained…

25. shelly says:

that stinks. i would have loved to see that show. I hope they bring it back or put it on another station like scifi :)