True Blood Finale Week

True Blood: Ranking 15 of the Series' Best and (Mostly) Worst Villains

True Blood Series Finale

It’s hard to believe, what with some dude named “Mr. Gus” currently ruling the roost, but True Blood has actually had some pretty captivating villains over the course of its seven-season run.

RELATED True Blood‘s 10 Best ‘Love’ Scenes | True Blood‘s 10 Best Deaths | Vote: Team Bill or Team Eric?

And since the series finale is just three days away now, TVLine is looking back on the best (and worst) baddies to ever visit Bon Temps. From King Russell Edgington to Queen Mab, we’ve categorize 15 of the show’s most memorable villains, for better or worse.

So click through our gallery of evil, then drop a comment below: Who were your favorite (and least) favorite True Blood villains?

Maryann Forrester and her perfectly maenad-cured claws invite you in…

1. christine says:

I loved Sophie Anne! Killing her was a bad move.

• Andy Swift says:

I liked her too, but hey, Bill had to become king SOMEHOW.

• wordsmith says:

I liked Sophie Anne too, but I never quite got that sense of her being ancient in the way that you get from watching Eric or Russell Edgington.
      In fact, I think Bill and Pam do a better job of conveying age than a lot of theoretically older vamps like Violet, Nora or Godric.
      I know it’s a tricky thing for a younger actor to pull off convincingly, but look at Robbie Kay on OUAT – he totally sold it.

• Isobel says:

Agree on Robbie Kay being great but I actually thought Godric’s actor did a good job being ancient and tired of life

• wordsmith says:

I thought they did a really good job of writing Godric, but he was soooo ancient that I’m not sure anybody could have sold the acting to my satisfaction.

• Jimmy says:

Agreed. I know True Blood made it’s own way outside of the novels and in several cases it worked, but Sophia Anne was not one of them. The Sophie Anne of the novels was a so much more interesting character than what True Blood gave us. I also thought Evan Rachel Wood was a poor choice to play the character.

2. Steven says:

Sophie Ann was by far my favorite, but that just might be my love for Evan Rachel Wood.

3. Loved Russell Edgington and Sophie Anne — we could have used more of both

4. Tim says:

I disagree with you about Debbie Pelt—I thought her character was a lot of fun.

5. onelastemperor says:

“Ugh… Warlow.” pretty much sums it up)

6. chaouad says:

i wish we could have seen more Queen Sophie-Anne.

7. Ray says:

In total agreement with the article. Maryann is the hands down best True Blood villain of all time. Russell Edgington started off really menacing, but was a joke the second time around.

8. hello says:

I hope Sarah Newlin survives, she is too hot to die

9. I’ll always have a soft spot for Debbie for screaming out “You killed my Cooter!” when her boyfriend was shot. I’d replace her on the “Worst” list with the clan of WerePanthers for abusing Jason as well as being lame and ultimately pointless.

10. James says:

I wish they would have gone the book route with Sophie Anne. The 7th book was awesome because of her and I always waited for True Blood to show the vampire summit… I also wish they would have used the evil fairies more. Many people hate them in the books, but I thought they were pretty cool. And Warlow is not so bad because at least he was good to look at. But like you said… Oh, what could have been.

• Andy Swift says:

As far as the books go, I wish Jason had turned into a WerePanther on the show. I was really annoyed that they introduced that storyline, but didn’t have him change.

• AnnieM says:

I agree. That was a pretty cool storyline in the books, especially since Jason actually enjoyed being a were-panther. And I hated how the TV series turned the HotShot clan into a bunch of dirtbag meth cookers. :-p

• Isobel says:

Agree on more fairies and Warlow not being that bad, I think he could have been good if they had an idea of his character and stuck to it, like other characters on the list that had potential they flipped around on who he was too much

11. Chris C says:

Maryann was definitely my favorite!

12. Cindy says:

The King hands down!!! Sorry to say my least favorite was Marnie along with the smoke !!!! TRUE BLOOD ROCKS!!!

13. wordsmith says:

How about Franklin? James Frain definitely brought the creepy with his sadistic yet oddly affectionate ordeal with Tara. He wasn’t central to the plot, but he was one of the show’s most bold and fascinating villains.

14. I was so disappointed that Rebecca Wisocky never came back to the show. She is one of my favorite “guest-starred-on-every-tv-show-in-the-past-ten-years” actresses (along with Beth Grant – who appeared as a vamp-enamored engagement ring seller in a True Blood short)

• Ray says:

Such a shame. Wisocky as Queen Mab would have made a pretty bad ass villain. Too bad the show turned fae into such laughable creatures in season 6.

15. DarkDefender says:

Do I even need to see this gallery? Does anyone? :)
    Hands down the best villain is Dennis OHare’s Russell Edgington

16. sal says:

True Blood’s all-time best villain is Bill Compton (not Billith, Bill). No, I don’t expect any reveals on Sunday.

17. AnnieM says:

Russell was my favorite. I wish that Chris Meloni had been on the show more than just 2(?) episodes. And how did Governor Burrell not make this list? He was equally responsible for the hep-V.

18. T.S. Kihl says:

So true! Russell Edgington is the absolute best. I could watch the spine ripping monologue in an endless loop.

19. Pavanne says:

Maryann Forrester FTW!!! Whenever Michell Forbes shows up on your screen (anyone remember Admiral Kaine?), you know sh*t is about to get real!

20. KevyB says:

British Warlow was fine… until that last episode! What a way to destroy a great character.

21. Truefan says:

Russell Edgington was by far the funniest, over the top , and most memorable villan. Warlow was the worst. He was supposed to be powerful and ended up nothing. There was just too much inconsistency to is character .

22. Jimmy says:

I would mostly agree with your list. Mr. Gus is a shining example of how lackluster the final season of True Blood has been. The only one I would disagree with is Maryann. I was never a fan. Russell Edgington is by far the best villain they created and that’s completely due to Denis O’Hare. An underrated and under used actor.

23. WTActualF says:

Bill Compton is the true villain of the series.

24. LABete says:

I actually thought Warlow became rather hot when he dropped the “hick” pretense and reverted to his British accent.

25. Anonymous says:

I’m pretty sure Sookie is the worst villain on this sow. If I had a dollar for every time she endangered someone or caused someone else pain, I’d be rich.

26. albtrex says:

WHAAAAAAT???? Marnie Best???? She was by far the WORST character True Blood ever had!!

I liked Queen Mab (though she stayed in the series only for 10 minutes), and I agree with most of the other ones (Sophie Ann!! Russell!! ♥♥)…