Emmys

Billy Crystal to Lead Robin Williams Tribute at Monday's Emmy Awards

Robin Williams Emmys Tribute

Billy Crystal will lead a tribute to Robin Williams, his friend of nearly 40 years, at the Primetime Emmy Awards being held Monday night in Los Angeles.

VIDEO Watch David Letterman’s Perfect Tribute to Robin Williams

“We felt we needed to do something powerful and memorable,” E! News quotes Emmys exec producer Don Mischer as saying Wednesday morning at the official “red carpet rollout” at the Nokia Theatre. “Billy seemed like the perfect choice.”

The In Memoriam segment at large will feature a performance from Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles.

RELATED Robin Williams: 13 Things You May Not Have Known About His Life, Legacy

Days after Williams’ tragic Aug. 11 suicide, Mischer confirmed his intention to give the iconic entertainer “the proper and meaningful remembrance he so well deserves,” at the awards show airing Monday, Aug. 25 on NBC.

1. What says:

So… who’s leading the James Garner Emmy tribute?

You know, James Garner, who starred in two iconic TV series and appeared in several more over the past 50 years or so, even up to the mid 00’s. That guy.

(Look, I love Robin Williams as much as the next person, but in terms of sheer significance to television, Garner leaves him in the dust.)

• Zack Quinti says:

You took the words right out of my keyboard.

• What says:

Oh, and while I’m at it: it wasn’t just the two iconic TV series and the non-iconic series (Nichols, Eight Simple Rules, the 80s Maverick, Man of the People, First Monday). How about the excellent HBO movies, at the dawn of made for pay cable movies (Promise, My Name is Bill W, Barbarians at the Gate), and even the Mariette Hartley Polaroid commercials? I mean, EW, I would really like to know what the Emmys are planning to do to honor this GIANT of television. How about looking into that for us?

• Definitely agree! Jim Garner seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle and he was much more important to the development of television through the decades than Robin Williams was. Robin was a wonderful performer but Jim Garner was an iconic TV performer!

• Care says:

This is not EW, BTW. It’s very sad James Garner died. I’d rather see a Robin Williams tribute by Billy Crystal, though. Probably the producers thought that many viewers feel the same way.

• Casey Hammond says:

Well, they would be wrong. I was a big Robin Williams fan, but, I hope it is remembered that he wasn’t the only one to pass away year–we lost some giants. James Garner definitely being one of them. He deserves a tribute as much as anyone does. As far as being “sad” that’s not the point–he was a icon in television and the movies–just like Robin was. This happened last year when Cory Monteith died, there were losses last year as well that were shoved to one side–it should be about ALL the people who died.

• Sara says:

No chance….there was no tribute for Larry Hagman last year.

• What says:

With all due respect, Larry Hagman was nowhere near the influence on TV that James Garner was. He redefined the Western and redefined the P.I. genre. He was in the TV game for 50 years as an actor and producer.

While Robin Williams was a great figure in entertainment generally, his impact on TV (which is what the Emmys are about, right?) was a lot more narrow as well. Mork and Mindy, some great HBO specials, and some other TV guest spots. He was more of a movie person than a TV person.

I really hope there is something planned for Garner on the Emmy broadcast we haven’t heard about yet — or else I will be disgusted beyond words.

• Sara says:

Larry Hagman didn’t have influence in TV?! From 1951 until the day he died in 2012, Larry Hagman had a profound career in television. 104 credits as an actor listed on his IMDB profile, most of them in television roles. Two iconic roles in television, JR Ewing (one of the most recognizable characters of all time) and Anthony Nelson on I Dream of Jeanie, and countless other starring and guest starring roles. To say that he had “nowhere near the influence in TV that James Garner” had is completely disrespectful and grossly uniformed.

It was a travesty that he was not individually honored at the Emmys last year with the very few they selected. I hope that the producers recognize the grievous error they made and do not do the same to James Garner, and the numerous others we have lost this year.

But please, do not disrespect an icon like Larry Hagman to make whatever argument you are trying to put out there.

• Anna says:

You realize it’s not a contest right? And that you sound like a bitter, selfish person.Gee, I wonder why the Emmys are honoring someone who died so suddenly and shockingly and who had fans of all ages and has tons of cultural relevance? Can’t imagine why.

• David4 says:

Yeah bitter is right.

This is a TV show, nothing else. James Garner was old and not shockingly died. Robin Williams died suddenly and shockingly. The producers want to seize on that to get ratings.

• Zack Quinti says:

Oh so it is how and when you die that matters, I thought the emmys were about how they impacted TV. Then never mind then, forget James Garner he only did great TV shows.

• Mary Ann says:

I totally agree with you too. I think James Garner was much more important to TV than Robin Williams. But lets face it, all TV now is geared toward younger viewers, and most of them have probably never seen what a great and charismatic actor James Garner was. Too bad.

2. Tran says:

Don’t know if Whoopi Goldberg will be there at the Emmy Awards on Monday to pay tribute to Robin Williams.

3. Sara says:

I already anticipate some sobbing to happen.

4. auntiemm says:

It’s unfortunate and not fair that Williams’ death will dwarf the others. The other actors deserve their final bow. If I could suggest….either skip the red carpet garbage in favor of an hour special dedicated to him or an “Emmy Presents” special to air later in the week in primetime.

5. ArchieLeach says:

I love Robin but they should put him in with the rest of the in memorial segment and turn off the house mike so we can’t hear the applause. Death shouldn’t be a popularity contest.

6. Whatevah says:

I’m excited to see this. Although I’m sure I’ll cry like have been at all the tributes to Robin Williams. PS I loved James Garner too. But I’m not upset by this at all.

7. TinLV says:

Billy Crystal’s big tribute to Robin Williams should be on the Academy Awards. Williams was much more important a figure in the movies than he was on TV. Let’s face it, Mork and Mindy was a silly show and would have gone nowhere if not connected to Happy Days. Williams was a great actor, maybe even better as a dramatic actor than he was in comedy, but his best work was in the movies.. James Garner, on the other hand, deserves tributes from both the movies and television.

8. CK says:

Since they are going through with this after last years show, I hope they keep it classy and short. Robin Williams was a tough loss for the entertainment community, but this is a big night of celebration for the potential winners and nominees after years of work. It shouldn’t be dwarfed by a televised memorial service intercut throughout (last years debacle) that’s partially driven by ratings. If the producers and the network really wanted to do something to honor Robin’s memory and not capitalize on his death, they would donate to a charity of his families choice.

9. skrable2 says:

Apparently, Pam Dawber was unavailable?

10. JennieErin says:

I think this is a beautiful idea. I always loved the relationship these two had from Comic Relief to their brief appearance on Friends. They were hilarious together. My favorite was when Robin won the Oscar & Billy was hosting, Billy had a great line that here he was hosting & his best friend and later his rabbi won. I will be watching & pulling for Billy to get through.

11. sandle says:

Listen to all of you!If you don’t. Like what you hear on Monday night either turn to a different. Channel or don’t. Watch at all.Yousound like a bunch of school kids.I’m. Sure everyone like James Garner. And cory.They git tons of press and the Stars said Wonderful things.But Robin was someone Special.

12. LibKat says:

This whole “let’s make some dead people more special than others” that started last year is just stupid. And you would think that they would have learned by how unsuccessful it was.

Honoring the people who passed is what the In Memoriam segment IS FOR. They should keep the camera on the screen and not cut away to whoever is singing. If they want to single out specific actors, show more than one shot, like beginning of their career morphing into end of their career.

13. Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make
    my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks
    a lot

14. Carol smith says:

I’ve been grieving with so many. I pray for Bilky Crystal as he tributes Robin as they were so close. But the moment Emmys were to start my Time Warner cable went out! I’m heartsick. Where may I see Emmys and especially Crystal’s tribute to Williams later?