NCIS: LA Boss Hints at Plan to Be 'As Noisy As We Can Be' in New Time Slot

NCIS LA Season 6 Time Slot

CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles kicks off its sixth season on Sept. 29 — now airing Mondays at 10/9c, opposite ABC’s stalwart Castle (which is coming off its most watched season ever) and NBC’s buzzy The Blacklist (aka last year’s No. 1 new drama).

It’s an unenviable position to be in, christening a brand-new home — a new night, at a later hour — and without your sire/TV’s most watched drama, NCIS, opening the night. (Instead, the freshman drama Scorpion will lead into NCIS: LA.)  But the folks in LA have a plan.

RELATED Fall Preview 2014: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Premieres

“We are going to try to make the show as noisy as we possibly can,” showrunner Shane Brennan told TVLine during our Fall Preview Q&A.

Fortunately for NCIS: LA, Brennan says, “the writers, the cast and the crew have always operated at 100 percent. We’ve never backed off on anything, and we’re not backing off now in any way.” So the idea is to take what already works and kick it up a notch when possible.

“Will we have some more-familiar guest casting? Possibly,” Brennan allows. “We also hope to be able to make those great action sequences that we do so well even more intense.” (There may even be some decidedly “mature” romantic fare on tap. “If you like Kensi and Deeks and you are intrigued by Talia, you are in for a kind of full-on moment” in the premiere, the show boss teases.)

RELATED NCIS: LA‘s Daniela Ruah Weighs In on the Deeks/Kensi Punches

But in terms of the NCIS: LA that has thrived for five seasons, “We won’t disappoint the fans by changing it dramatically to fit the time slot,” he makes clear. “They’re going to be relieved to know that it’s the same show that they love.”

As for the procedural’s potential audience of newcomers, Brennan believes that “anyone who has the habit of watching CBS at 10 o’clock on a Monday night will be rewarded with a really intriguing show. I think we can cater to new fans because of what we’ve been doing that kept the old fans happy for five seasons.”

Want more scoop on NCIS: Los Angeles, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. c-mo says:

Much as I love this show, it will still be a DVR’d and watched when I have the time.

• Tara Freeman says:

Same for me. I still have to catch up on the whole last season! It’s a show I watch when there’s nothing else on. Love the original NCIS though. Not really looking forward to the new spinoff either, Castle is now in the same boat for me after the season finale. Blacklist is too good not to watch live.

• Q says:

Good competition is good for any show.
        But NCIS LA, opposite Castle (they promised go back to S2 crime base, so it will be more interesting) and opposite The Blacklist….?!
        NO WAY! (I have to start work early morning, we have small kids…no way)
        Sorry NCIS LA, just DVR, or internet source, live watching is impossible.

2. Newo says:

and a reminder to any Canadian fans, Global is airing this at 8 on mondays with the blacklist in its regular time slot at 10

3. Anon says:

Well they certainly won’t have anything got worry about in regards to Castle . Thanks to how the so called relationship was handled in season 6 with em acting more like friends with benefits and absolutely no romance or passion and that fiasco of a dud and anger creator for the finale Castle is DOA! When it premiers in Sept. For season 7.

So , nope NCIS:LA doesn’t have a thing to worry about from them. Maybe they can add Stana or Nathan to their show when Castle ends abruptly..

• Just one thing says:

Castle really should be a 9pm show. It’s family friendly more often than not, and systematically avoids overt sex and gratuitous violence.

• M3rc Nate says:

Chuck was on a 8pm on NBC and it showed WAAAAY more skin and flirtation/chemistry/implied sex/romance than Castle…And Chuck is way more of a family friendly show than Castle.

• Fran says:

Not everyone was unhappy with how their relationship was last season… So yeah I think Castle will be just fine. Though I do agree that it would work at 9:00 pm.

• Dave James says:

Not to mention that she still refers to him as Castle and he to her as Beckett. Real lovey dovey! When’s the last time you referred to your wife/husband by their last name?

4. Matthew Weber says:

I’ll watch Castle live because it’s my favorite show on right now. NCIS will be downloaded later. Haven’t checked out Blacklist yet as I’m anti-NBC (they cancel things too easily for my taste (ahem Las Vegas)).

5. ruahticsn says:

Very excited for S6! New time, new day, clean slate! :)

6. lame says:

NCISLA & Castle are two of my favorites, one is going on DVR, not yet sure which one.

7. JC says:

To answer the polls question, I’ll be watching The Blacklist live. My whole family does. I prefer serialized drama with good stories and compelling characters like Red and Lizzie over boring procedurals like the NCIS franchise.

8. Rick Katze says:

While I voted for NCIS, the poll ignores the DVR option which I will avail the entire season. So The Blacklist, Castle and NCIS:LA will all be recorded, not to mention Monday Night Football.

The days of needing to select just one show no longer apply. Which one will I watch live. Probably football since I find it less interesting on tape and the commercials are better spaced. The choice is no longer relevant. As for the commercials, if they have interesting ones I will watch them. Otherwise I skip most of the crud they show.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

OK.

• DYS says:

Even with dvrs being a big thing for most of us, live viewing is very relevant, since it involves a decreased chance of skipping commercials, and therefore a better chance of certain shows continuing. If you are like most people and don’t have a ratings device then what you watch live isn’t important but the people who do have them represent us and their choices are absolutely relevant.

• John NYC says:

“Otherwise I skip most of the crud they show.”

Which is why, for advertising billing purposes, LIVE viewers are valued more highly than time shifters such as you and myself. They don’t pay the bills with people who don’t see the ads, the ads where they make their money…

• Fran says:

Yeah…. Its just a fun little poll to get an idea of what people are going to watch, not some serious scientific study.

9. Marcus T. says:

They have backed off Kensi and Deeks, How many times can Kensi say “what” after deeks says something emotional. lol

10. Diz says:

On Mondays I watch a show from the DVR, then WWE RAW on hour delay so I don’t run into commercials, then another show from the DVR.

11. ZhaneEndrick says:

WARNING: UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING

Yeah, so, I love NCIS, a lot…but I like NCIS: LA better. I have for a while. I think the characters are more engaging and it has a better team dynamic.
    There, I said it.

If nobody wants to join me in this little corner, I’ll understand.

• Mara says:

I agree! Thank you for posting this!

• John NYC says:

I had been with you for a few recent years, that shifted back this past season with the NCIS retooling.

I get home Tuesdays after both of them air so it was an even choice off my DVR: and a couple of years ago L.A. started being watched first. but I switched back.

• MP says:

I agree, too. It happened for me a few seasons ago. I felt NCIS was getting stale, but I really loved the dynamic among the NCIS LA gang. They make me laugh.

• Anna D. says:

I completely agree with you!

• JC1 says:

I’ll join you! I too prefer NCIS LA and the team dynamics (and Hetty) to NCIS Original. I got rather burned out on the original and didn’t even watch season 10, although I think things improved in 11 (not to open a can of worms here).

• Zack Quinti says:

well Kensi and Deeks anyway

• Mistri says:

I love the mother ship and I’ll watch NOLA, but NCISLA is my favorite and I will always juggle my schedule to watch it live. See no reason to change even though it’s moving to a new date and time.

• Jean Mazzola says:

totally agree!!!!! chemistry between the characters terrific.

12. GhostWolf says:

I DVR everything (and since I am not Nielsen it doesn’t really matter that I FF the commercials or totally ignore them) but NCIS:LA is at the bottom with Blacklist first then Castle (watch all three). With Sleepy Hollow and The Originals, it’s gonna be a busy night.

13. Got DVR says:

Watching Castle despite Andrew Malowe’s season 6 finale debacle. Love the cast.
    Can’t stand James Spader as an actor. Always the same smart characters. No depth.
    No way on anything NCIS related. Seriously cliched. Couldn’t even get through one whole episode. Only my parents watch that drivel.

14. Mara says:

Castle really blew it last season — watching earlier seasons on TNT just underscores how bad last season was – it might not even make the dvr list after that lazily written, nonsensical finale. Blacklist and NCIS LA for me!

15. Sam says:

I love James Spader and The Blacklist so that will be my live and DVR’d viewing. Tried to watch NCIS: LA but never enjoyed it very much. I stopped watching Castle a while back, so it seems The Blacklist will be my only 10 o’clock fare for Monday evenings.

• Tran says:

Do you think it would be tough for The Blacklist moving to Thursdays at 9 p.m. beginning February 5th which is going up against Scandal (ABC) come mid-season pleased you or not?

16. Pat says:

Well, NCIS LA is one of my top favorite dramas, so this will be my priority. Castle will be going on my DVR.

17. Ken says:

How about none of the above? Castle’s finale totally sucked, Marlowe really blew it (no pun intended). NCIS anything is just SOS – the whole premise of NCIS LA is ridiculous, since the real NCIS is just busting drug smugglers on Navy ships – no stopping international terrorists every week nonsense. And Blacklist is equally as hokey – I remember watching the first EP where Spader’s character put the woman star of the show’s character in a situation where she only survived by sheer luck. If Spader’s character wasn’t trying to get her killed, that was an awfully stupid action on his part. The whole show is too many near-miss type incidents where the character’s luck would never hold for that long a time.

18. Tran says:

NCIS: LA move to Mondays at 10 p.m. beginning September 29th is the one of the reasons in the upcoming Fall TV season that I’m worried about. I expect The Blacklist to topped that time slot for the first eight weeks starting September 22nd until November 10th before State of Affairs takes over beginning November 17th but on that date (11-17-14), it’s usually anybody’s series in the 10 p.m. Monday night time slot.

19. Kate says:

Since my local On Demand only stocks ABC and NBC, I’ll be watching CBS and catching up on the others Tuesday. :)

20. Amy W. says:

Castle and NCIS LA are both in my top five shows. I enjoy Monday night football, but usually only when my favorite team plays, so my choice? I will watch NCIS LA live, and DVR Castle.

21. Misfit toy says:

NCIS LA live, really bored with Castle. I couldnt get into it last season and i hated the finale.

22. arial2 says:

Love NCIS: LA, but I hate it when networks move a show just to try and knock off another network’s show (in this case, shows). For that reason, I will stick with The Blacklist and Castle and watch NCIS:LA On Demand. I understand why The Blacklist needs to be shown at 10:00 – lots of violence, so not so upset about that placement. I look at Thursday’s programming on the three (four, if you count Fox) major networks and wonder why one or two of the many competing dramas can’t be placed there. Thursday major network tv is a wasteland for me (except Elementary).

• Tran says:

Let’s face it. The Blacklist moving to Thursdays at 9 p.m. come mid-season which is of course going up against Scandal (ABC) could be a “hard sell”. What are the chances State of Affairs which premieres November 17th could be a disaster for NBC if it doesn’t topped Castle and/or NCIS: LA in the 10 p.m. Monday night time slot?

• John NYC says:

I don’t see the move as a knockoff attempt but rather to open up the sweet spot after NCIS original to the new show.

Showing a certain confidence that after all this time L.A. doesn’t need the help.

23. JC1 says:

I watch all three, but probably 1) Castle, 2) NCIS LA, 3) The Blacklist. NCIS LA and Castle may switch periodically.

24. VB says:

I’ve been meaning to watch this show for a bit. But there’s so much on my DVR normally anyway, it’s not been a priority. I would like to try it sometime. Unfortunately for it, “The Blacklist” is fantastic. Best new show last season: fresh, new, great lead in Spader, intriguing questions, great stories week-to-week that keep you on the edge of your seat. I’m totally stoked for its return. So I’m definitely watching it live next season. When it’s off a night or having a rerun, I plan on watching “Castle” which is still good and was excellent last season. I wish it well, though. Much like CSI (with the new “Cyber” coming out), I really don’t need another incarnation of NCIS. I say this without malice. I try never to root actively against a show, and I’m not here. But I saw the trailer and know the premise, and like “Red,” it felt…unnecessary, and like it had nothing new to offer really from a zillion other procedurals.

25. Phyllis Nethken says:

I have gotten away from NCIS LA for a while now. The show’s format is not like it was in the first 2 seasons. Kensi/Deeks has been a disappointment (like Tony/Ziva) they have been dropping the ball. I don’t care for Mel Ferrer’s character either. My opinion: they need to bring the NCIS characters into more episodes. Love Hetty, LL and Chris and would like to see better use of them.

26. Ann Hopler says:

It’s early to bed for me, so I will DVR both the Blacklist and Castle and watch NCIS: LA on demand or online.

27. Iakovos says:

CASTLE wins here for me. CBS leans too heavily on those procedurals and after the first couple seasons, they all begin to look the same. Never really cared for series like BLACKLIST though I know it is loved by many, and God knows NBC needs some good buzz. Difficult to turn off the charms of Nathan Fillion and CASTLE though. It just works best among these three.

28. Sheldon W. says:

If I can work it, I’ll timeshift NCIS:LA and watch The Blacklist in it’s normal timeslot.

29. Gary says:

Will tape BlackList & NCIS LA Never watch Castle would rather watch an old NCIS on DVD. Commercials are boring.

30. Twyla Beard says:

Thank goodness for DVRs. I plan to watch ALL THREE! Can’t wait!

31. David says:

You can can be loud as you want. I would prefer three hours of NCIS on Tuesdays, 8,9,10 pm.
    This move to Mondays for NCIS:LA is not good for it. Ratings will be down and I would like Vance on the show more. He is still the director and seems to not be in contact with the team or even show up for a visit.

32. Jeri Hashiguchi says:

NCISLA but please no more love interest for Callen. Ruins his mystique.

33. Mary Piraneo says:

Watch NCIS and tape Castle!!

34. Mary Kieffer says:

SO disappointed that CBS opted to move my fav to monday night. Like stated before, I have to be at work very early in the am and this is a killer. Thanks CBS for jackin’ up my life. love you too.

35. Vivian L Burns says:

I love all the NCIS shows and I also like CSI….

36. mumsy01 says:

i am so sorry that you chose to do this! you certainly realize how many are going to watch football…..you have your own night for that! i am really unhappy with you. the competition is too great! my household HAS to watch football! Now i have to choose which show to tape, ncis la or the blacklist.

37. Dave James says:

It doesn’t matter what they do to it, I won’t be watching. The LA version is a barely a shadow of what the original show is.

38. joy says:

my roomie and i usually watch Castle on Mondays, so we may alternate who watches live. I’m willing to wait on NCIS cause I like to watch it by myself. Mondays are unpredictable for me anyway.

39. Thank god for DVR’s or I would be missing out on a lot of good TV

40. Colin says:

Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a material!
    present here at this web site, thanks admin of this web site.

41. Elizabeth says:

NCIS: Los Angeles is my favorite show. Please don’t get rid of Hettie!