Lifetime's Saved By the Bell Tell-All Teaser: Hot TV Event or Hot Mess?

Loading video...

Well, at least Bell Biv Devoe’s “Poison” is percolating in the background.

There, we said something nice about the first teaser trailer for Lifetime’s The Unauthorized Saved By the Bell Story — a pastiche of groan-inducing dialogue, clichéd “they only smiled when the cameras were on” plot lines and visual reminders of just how much the average telephone has shrunk over the last two decades.

The other big take-away: Apparently, Mario Lopez perspired profusely prior to transforming himself into a shiny, secretion-free host-bot. (A sweaty teenager?! Shocking!)

Press PLAY for the full teaser, then share your thoughts in the comments. Are you so excited for The Unauthorized Saved By the Bell Story, or does this break the dial on your Hot-Mess-o-Meter?

1. Gabby says:

Hot mess. This look’s awful.

2. Abby says:

It being a hot mess is what makes it a TV event for me.

3. Rich says:

Hate to admit it, but I know I’ll see this when it hits. So will my GF, as we both grew up in the era of Saturday Morning TV and shows like Saved By The Bell (aka Good Morning Miss Bliss) and California Dreams.

Hopefully it doesn’t suck horribly, but again I’m not expecting Shakespeare.

• Christine says:

OMG California Dreams! I loved that show! As for this garbage it’s just sad that anyone would take Dustin Diamond’s book seriously enough to make a TV special let alone a whole TV movie. I don’t want to look back on a show from my childhood and see how dysfunctional it allegedly was. I’d rather they scrap this and just show a few hours worth of Saved By the Bell reruns!

• Carla Krae says:

Yep. Dustin wasn’t a well-behaved youngster. My mother’s friend had a son that ended up buddies with Dustin for a while, and pretty much all Dustin did was party, so she was pretty worried about him being a bad influence on her kid until her son lost interest in the friendship and moved on. This was back in the ’90s, so I don’t remember how they met anymore.

4. Boiler says:

Think the number of TV stations should go down by at least half and get rid of so much of this junk

5. Et al says:

I’m so excited! I’m so excited! I’m so scared!

6. Tony Lang says:

I haven’t watched the trailer, because -thank God- there’s an alternative to it. it’s called Anything Else.

7. Missy Kelly says:

For years I thought the show was the worst thing on tv and yet they made a bad TV movie about a bad TV show and is Lifetime wondering what could have gone wrong????? Maybe they’re hoping for Sharknado bad

8. Robby Horine says:

Know what would be neat? Have Mark-Paul, Tiffani, Mario and Elizabeth live blog or live video of them watching and commentating of what is real and what is BS. Would be interesting.

9. Carla Krae says:

I’m a SoCal native, so I went to a taping of Saved By the Bell The College Years when I was in high school. Granted, the cast was older then, adults, but everything was totally professional. It’s not the only show I’ve seen taped, so I had some comparison, and yeah, no problems. I watched SBtB from Zach in junior high all the way to the end of content. Watched some of The New Class, but that didn’t have the same magic. California Dreams was in that line-up, too. Ah, memories….

10. Jfully says:

Hopefully its a hot mess cause I can’t wait to watch!

11. scb says:

It’s going to be a hot TV event BECAUSE it’s going to be a hot mess.

12. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Seen this trailer so many times on tv and ugh it’s a F^%#kin HOT MESS! SBTB was One of my favorite shows growing up.

13. Ashley says: