Watch David Letterman's Absolutely Perfect Tribute to Robin Williams

David Letterman Remembers Robin Williams

David Letterman devoted a good chunk of Monday’s Late Show to remembering good friend and frequent guest Robin Williams, who died last week at the age of 63.

VIDEO An Emotional Jimmy Fallon Channels the ‘Genius’ Robin Williams

After recounting his early days working alongside a then-unkown Williams at The Comedy Store, Letterman (whose Late Show was in repeats last week) reminisced about — and featured video highlights of — the combined 50-plus times the beloved entertainer appeared on both his NBC and CBS shows.

RELATED Robin Williams: 13 Things You May Not Have Known About His Life, Legacy

“I didn’t have to do anything — all I had to do was is sit here and watch the machine,” Letterman shared. “And people would watch. If they knew Robin was on the show, viewership would go up because they wanted to see Robin. People were drawn to him because of this electricity.”

1. Kate says:

I’ve been waiting for Dave to get back because I knew he would want to recognize Robin and that he would do it well!

2. sophie says:

What a heartfelt tribute for Robin! Very touching and sincere.

3. S says:

This is still making me cry.

4. ray snedicor says:

well done very classy, we all feel as if we lost a close friend. thank you Dave for the memories

5. Ed says:

That was a very special and heartfelt remembrance of a someone who will be sorely missed, but in a way will live on to bring his special gift to others for many generation to come.

6. BlueBelle says:

Every time I see a tribute to Robin Williams I get choked up. The Encore Channel aired some of his movies this weekend. I turned to the very end of Dead Poet’s Society and started to cry at the scene when Ethan Hawke’s character stands up on his desk and says “Oh Captain, My Captain” and the look of Robin Williams/Mr. Keating’s face says it all. Then he says “thank you boys, thankyou” the scene fades to black (the movie ends). That was the perfect ending, the perfect way to say good-bye to Robin. Nano Nano.

7. Whatevah says:

Seriously it’s been over a week and I still cry when I see these tributes. What an amazing person and I’m so sorry that he was in so much pain. The world lost a good one that’s for sure.

8. S. Terrell says:

Beautifully done, Thank you!

9. Christine says:

What a marvelous tribute by one great comedian and decent human being for another great comedian and decent human being.

10. Chris says:

Well done, Dave! He will be missed!

11. Cindy Nicolaysen says:

Incredible genius. The depths of our sorrow simply mirror the heights of the joy Robin brought us. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Letterman, you brought them well.

12. CMD368 says:

สวัสดี , ฉัน รู้สึก ฉันเชื่อ ว่าฉัน เห็น สังเกตเห็น คุณเยี่ยมชม บล็อก
    ของฉัน บล็อก ดังนั้น ฉัน ได้ที่นี่ มา ที่จะ กลับไป กลับ เลือก ?
    . ผม พยายามที่จะ ในการหา สิ่งที่ การ ปรับปรุง ของฉัน เพิ่ม เว็บไซต์ ฉันเดา ของ เพียงพอ ทำให้การใช้ ไม่กี่ ของ คุณ คิด !

13. Pete Kincaid says:

Thank you, Dave. No one could have paid more tribute to a comic than you did. We will all miss Robin very much. Robin would make anybody’s day!

14. G says:

I too was taping each episode when Billy Crystal came on I thought it might happen then! But I agree that David& Jimmy did such a great job. We have all lost one of the funniest people of our generation. To hear of his kindness only adds to the great loss. The Lord is going to need a lot of tissue to wipe away the laughter of tears. To his family and friends prayers over you and GOD BLESS OUR CAPTIAN me CAPTIAN

15. Sharon says:

Thank you so very much, David Letterman, for graciously sharing those memories with us. Robin was loved by so many and will be remembered always as a funny and gently passionate person who brought so much joy to so many.

16. Andrea says:

That was lovely…really lovely.

17. OlivaK says:

Even though a week has already passed, it’s still painful to believe this great artist is no longer with us. Very heartfelt tribute last night to Robin. :-(

18. Cecilia says:

Beautiful………….what a loss we now have to bear…….thank you DL for such a beautiful rendition of RW……….the actor, comedian, the MAN

19. Maggie says:

Beautiful tribute from someone that was an actually longtime friend of Robin Williams.

20. Sandy says:

He truly loved making people happy. He had a very kind, generous, giving soul! Mr. Letterman, Thank you for your HEARTFELT tribute. And I want to Thank you for the many years of service in filling my world with laughter. And to Robin Williams family, Thank you for sharing him with me through laughter.

21. Ron Hyatt says:

You shoulda given this kind of tribute to Larry “Bud” Melman.

22. Beautiful, David Letterman. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I am crying while typing. RIP Robin Williams. You gave me joy when I thought all was lost. Thank you.

23. Laurie says:

I too waited for Dave to speak about Robin Williams. I was one of the people who always watched David Letterman when I knew Robin was going to be on the show. I am somewhat shocked at how deeply Robin William’s death hit me. Dave was right, he made me laugh when I needed to-laugh until tears were running down my cheeks-sitting with my teenage sons laughing together; watching his movies and laughing and crying together. Who can create memories like that?? Of course, millions of us never had a chance to tell him how meaningful his humor, compassion, generosity and true expression of empathy he expressed in his movies, were to us. I have struggled with bipolar disorder, too-the expressive highs and the sensitive and devastating lows. I can be a little funny, but more of a lovable annoyance. I understand the place where he was and why he couldn’t find a way out. Yet, I wish he had. As I watched Dave’s tribute to Robin, I thought about how much I have also appreciated Dave over the years and thought this was a good opportunity to say so. There have been times I’ve watched Dave, just because I needed a good laugh, some intellectual and reasonable conversation and genuine integrity in the media. I would say his show has been as meaningful to me, as Robin-just in a different way. I will miss him, too, when he leaves the show, but a relief, that he will get time for himself and his family. The Tonight Show was not the same without Johnny Carson and The Late Show will not be the same without Dave.

• jeff says:

nIce tribute Dave very well said from the heart ..Robin was the best and missed by more then he ever imagined …Dave enjoy yourself The Late Show will wont be the same when you walk away

24. ill says: