Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Once, Grey's, Sons of Anarchy, Hawaii Five-0, Castle, NCIS: LA, Scandal and More

Ask Ausiello Spoilers

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Anything at all on the final season of Sons of Anarchy? —Jennifer
Ausiello: Tara’s spirit will loom large throughout the final 13 episodes, but Maggie Siff won’t be embodying that spirit. Asked if the actress might appear in a recreated flashback or as a vision to her widowed hubby, series creator Kurt Sutter tells me, “I’ve never done flashbacks or dream sequences on this show. They tend to pull me out of the reality of a show like this. Although The Sopranos used them very effectively with Tony, it doesn’t make sense for Jax to experience that.” Ironically, Sutter reveals that Tara’s presence will be most felt via Gemma (AKA the woman that repeatedly drove a meat fork into her head). “Gemma has this odd, remorse-[driven] dialogue with Tara throughout the season,” he previews, “as if she’s sitting right there next to her.” Bonus Scoop: There’s a Juice-centric scene in the Sept. 9 opener that will make the show’s straight female and gay male fans very, very, very happy.

Question: Any scoop at all about the fourth season of Once Upon a Time? —Advanteege
Ausiello: Is Henry en route to having his first crush? (And if so, has he picked the wrong gal?) The ABC series in casting the recurring role of Lily, a bright, self-reliant teen who boasts a “charming, take-no-prisoners punk exterior and the heart of a secretive, insecure opportunist.” Watch for this lass to first appear in Episode 5.

Question: Elizabeth Mitchell in Once Upon a Time?? Tell me more!  —Jacquelyn
Ausiello: You sound plenty excited by this casting — as are Lost scribes-turned-Once creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis. “She’s awesome, we love her, we’re so happy to have her and we can’t wait for the audience to discover who she is playing,” Horowitz teases. Perhaps she’s playing someone… eeeevil? Answers Kitsis with a healthy dollop of sarcasm, “We never bring Lost actors on our show to be villains, so….”

Question: Any hint on Geena Davis’ Grey’s Anatomy character? —Tia
Ausiello: Shonda Rhimes would only confirm that she’s a surgeon. And she’s not being brought in to fill the void left by Sandra Oh’s Cristina. “There is a hole left by the loss of Meredith’s best friend, and we do not try to fill it — at all,” she insists. “That wouldn’t make sense.”

Ask Ausiello1Question: Can you shed any additional light on Kate Burton’s return to Grey’s Anatomy? —Becca
Ausiello: As Burton told us over the weekend at the Creative Arts Emmys (where she was a guest-actress nominee for Scandal), Ellis will be seen “in flashbacks, obviously.” Also pretty obvious: Said flashbacks will feature Richard and (a younger version) of their little love child, Maggie. “I am excited to see how the whole thing plays out,” Burton added, “because James [Pickens Jr.] and I never really explored [the Ellis-Richard] relationship.” Bonus Scoop: Burton has a history with her new TV daughter Kelly McCreary. “I totally know her,” she enthused. “She did Scandal last year, so I got to say hi to her in the parking lot. And now, funny thing is, it turns out I am her mama!”

Question: We know that the season opener of Castle starts right where we left off in the finale, but is there a time jump after those first initial scenes? —Rachael
Ausiello: Yes, the  Sept. 29 premiere features a time jump — and a rather significant one at that — but my lips are zipped about exactly when in the episode the clocks spring forward.

Question: I am dying to know the Castle Season 7 premiere title! —Sandra
Ausiello: The opener, which (per ABC) “promises to put Beckett through the toughest case of her career,” is titled… fittingly… “Driven.”

Question: Does Yvette Nicole Brown’s new Odd Couple gig mean we’ll see less of Shirley in Season 6 of Community? —Joel
Ausiello: I thought it might, but a Sony rep insists Brown will be back as a series regular, adding, “Yvette’s role on The Odd Couple will not impact Season 6 of Community.”

Question: Nashville Season 3 intel, please and thank you. –Naomi
Ausiello: I’ve got more detail on the circumstances that bring Dancing With the Stars‘ Derek Hough into the Music City scene: The biopic in which his character, Noah West, is involved chronicles the life of Patsy Cline — and one of the women on the ABC drama’s canvas also becomes somehow involved with the film (and with Noah…?).

AA2Question: Please tell me Victor Garber will be back in Sleepy Hollow this season. –Ava
Ausiello: Yep. The Alias alum will return for at least one episode as Ichabod’s disapproving pop, EP Mark Goffman tells TVLine. Bonus Scoop: The showrunner adds that we’ll meet Crane’s mom this season, too.

Question: Any scoop on what baby Hope will be up to in Season 2 of The Originals? — Ash
Ausiello: Sorry, Ash, nothing on that particular tyke, but it sounds like someone else will have babies on the brain. Producers are currently casting Ingrid, a supposedly barren young woman who will stop at nothing to be with-child — including lying to her husband. (Gee, if only there were a few witches in town who might be able to help her out….)

Question: Will Catherine be returning at all next season on Hawaii Five-0? —Kim
Ausiello: File that under Quite Possibly Maybe. “I’m definitely hoping to get [Michelle Borth] back, but I’m not sure when that will happen,” show boss Peter M. Lenkov told us. “But there will be some type of closure.” Until then, he says, “We’re playing a little bit of McGarrett mourning that relationship. Catherine is still [away] ‘doing the right thing’ and he understands that, but he’s heartbroken.”

Question: I’m a little disappointed Linden and her mom didn’t share a hug in their final scene together on The Killing. It really seemed like the scene was heading in that direction. I’m curious if a hug was shot and just not used?—Jaime
Ausiello: There was never a hug. “I think to have had a hug, or [any] physical gesture of forgiveness, would’ve felt false,” explains series creator Veena Sud. “Linden gave as much as she could in that moment by asking the question that was hanging between them, and giving this woman an opportunity to respond. But I don’t know that everything is repairable between people — especially in this situation.”

Question: Would love some NCIS: LA scoop, please — anything Hetty-related would be fantastic. —Michelle
Ausiello: Lest you suspect that the Hetty cliffhanger will neatly/quickly resolve itself as previous ones have, as Season 6 opens, “We actually see Hetty reach a point where she cannot resolve the situation herself,” showrunner Shane Brennan told Matt Mitovich. “She hits a wall, where she can’t do any more than what she’s done.” [Cue a rather unexpected savior.] Unrelated bonus scoop: Early on in Season 6, Rocky Carroll will cross over from NCIS to appear as Vance in “more than one” LA episode.

AA3Question: What can you tell me about Brian Hallisay’s character on Revenge? I’m still not over losing Aiden, and I can’t imagine Emily is ready to move on. — Kate
Ausiello: You’re right about one thing, Kate: Emily’s not ready to jump into a new relationship. But that doesn’t mean sparks won’t fly between Emily and Hallisay’s Ben. “In the scenes they’ve had together so far, they’ve had great energy,” showrunner Sunil Nayar says. “But we want to take our time with these things; Emily has so much she’s already dealing with, we don’t want to be casual about the next person she chooses to give her heart to. That said, there’s definitely an energy between them that we’re enjoying. We didn’t bring him on to be Emily’s love interest, but by the same token, we didn’t not bring him on for that.”

Question: Can I get a scoop of Parks and Recreation news? It’s the last season so if you could make it a double scoop that would be awesome! —Eddie
Ausiello: Sorry, one scoop is all I got. The title of the season premiere is “2017.”

Question: Any early buzz on how Doctor Who‘s new — and significantly grayer — star Peter Capaldi will differ from his predecessor Matt Smith? —Morgan
Ausiello: The Season 8 premiere, written by exec producer Steven Moffat, makes several overt references to the physical differences between the Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors (whose portrayers have a real-life age difference of 25 years) — including an extended and very amusing bit about Capaldi’s “independently cross” eyebrows. That said, Capaldi himself sounds game for whatever adventures his showrunner cooks up. “The first time you make an escape through a ventilation shaft is quite special,” he notes with a laugh. One future Season 8 installment, though, sounds a little less action-adventure and a little more introspective. Indeed, Moffat promises an episode exploring “What does [the Doctor] do when he’s got nothing to do?” (One theory: Recording DVD extras about “wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.”)

Question: Will Scandal have some scenes shot in Washington D.C. this upcoming season? —Kyle
Ausiello: If not this season then (likely) at some point in the show’s run. “I wish, I hope, I want to,” Shonda Rhimes tells me, adding that “budgets, budgets, budgets” are the No. 1 obstacle to taking the show on the road to the nation’s capitol. “It’s expensive to go there, for any production. But we’d like to. We hope to. We’re trying to save our pennies.”

Question: Any details on Portia de Rossi’s Scandal character? —Paul
Ausiello: I tried mightily to get Rhimes to spill the beans, but all she would divulge is that the Arrested Development vet is playing “a very formidable person.” Actually, that’s a pretty decent tease, considering how tight-lipped Rhimes can be. I’m putting that in the “win” column.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments, and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Andy Swift, Kim Roots and Carrie Bell)

1. Jett says:

Can we get some Homeland spoilers… preferably about Quinn & Carrie.

2. Bored says:

Gee and i thought the Originals was supposed to be a show about the Original vampires! shocker maybe Jp should just adopt a baby or something since she seems obsessed with them

3. Dave says:

More pointless Castle and Once Upon a Time “spoilers” that really reveal nothing… How bout some real spoilers once in awhile… or some info on something else, like “The Walking Dead” perhaps?

• Boiler says:

Gee did you ever think the people from the show don’t want to reveal all?

• S. says:

I’m sure we’ll get more spoilers about Castle as we close in on the premiere. Even if we don’t get as much as we get/want normally, it’s probably for the best. I think sometimes the reveals are more important than others.

• Em says:

Showrunners/actors have definitely gotten more tight-lipped about spoilers within the past few years. On one hand, it’s good for the show, on the other hand it stinks for the people who want to know everything! And I hate to be that person, but if you want spoilers for certain shows, then send in questions about them!

• carbono says:

Actually the fact that there is going to be a significant time jump in the 1st episode might just be a big reveal. If Castle isn’t missing for too long they could actually get married in ep 1.

• Nancy says:

I agree. He never answers any spoilers I ask. It’s like he picks a few shows and that is all.

4. Ali Sr says:

Just received NCIS DVDs – 11th Season… YAY‼️
    ThkU4Castle update-hopeful👍‼️ Incidental or not at all on others, but appreciate updates … Always good to know what’s happening.
    You guys are the best 😉👍

5. Len1 says:

Elizabeth Mitchell – I am going to guess is Original Snow Queen?
    Henry and a crush – should be sweet in a way but sad as she seems not all that
    I want Emily and Jack to get together in Revenge!
    I do want to see more of the whole Ellis and Richard story, Ellis Grey and her daughters and explore that.
    Cristina Yang will be missed for sure

6. Matt says:

OK so if they are in Storybrooke and Henry gets a crush on a girl named Lily, it makes me wonder who she is? Like who is her fairytale counterpart?

• Nikki says:

The name made me think Tigerlily from Peter Pan.

• Hank Voight says:

God I hope not of all the things on once anything even remotely related to Neverland was the low point of the show.

• Matt says:

I agree. Neverland was cool but not work half the season. It took way to long yo #savehenry

• Larry says:

The absolute low point was Greg and tamera plot lol. But yeah Neverland got stale, but at least it began to get pretty good as it finished it’s run all leading to “going home”, and a great wicked arc. I’m glad this year we not on an island(the plots are just so limited in magic lands, unless it’s for a couple episodes when it was done well in FTl for the finale. Looking forward to it a lot

• Matt says:

That’s what I thought too. They did Neverland. They don’t new to bring her in, in my opinion

7. Dean says:

Nice to know LA still has a connection to original NCIS with Vance appearing in season 6 I hope more characters will pop in and out, still want to know the stroy between Gibbs and Callen.

• Donna says:

I would like to see NCIS & NCIS NEW ORLEANS WORKING TOGETHER MORE OFTEN…

• tjchurch2001 says:

TELL ME you’re kidding… Bakula needs to take a “Quantam Leap” ahead until he stops working, and enjoy his well-earned break. Meanwhile, the rest of the team can take a smaller trip back, & forget they & the network ever passed on the “Red” spinoff with John Corbett, Scott Grimes, & Hardison’s brother.

8. Lysh says:

I am totally for a Henry storyline that’s not all about either of his moms. First crush! So cute. They grow so fast.

9. Michelle says:

Thanks for replying to my NCIS:LA inquiry about Hetty, i wonder who the “rather unexpected savior” will be…. Also happy that Rocky Carroll will be back in LA, this give me hope that me may one day see Callen teaming up with Gibbs & find out what their story was.

Also great news that Victor Garber will be back on “Sleepy Hollow”

10. LR says:

I hope Castle doesn’t pull a “you’ve been gone for 2 years” Alias move.

• Annie says:

That was exactly where my mind went first, too. BAD idea, horrible. Just – no.

• I think I read on another site that it was actually several months. (Guessed that right off the bat, though people were clinging to Marlowe’s comment about the season’s opening scene.)
      From a storytelling standpoint, we can deduce that the time jump happens at one of two spots: Either within the first 10-15 minutes or at the last 5 minutes of the episode.
      All summer long, I would’ve guessed the former, but now I’m thinking the latter.

• Mary says:

My guess, after reading Ausiello isn´t saying exactly when the time jump happens, is that it´ll be later in the episode, and maybe after Castle is found…

11. Grace says:

Thanks for the H50 spoiler!! Glad to know we’ll find out at some point what’s going on with Catherine.

12. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Question #1:That sucks but I get where Kurt is coming from cause you don’t stuff like that on the show. Anyhow regarding the last part about Juicy boy……I read one article on THIS SITE that the Comic con trailer showed a NAKED Juice doing push ups so………I think it’s either that OR he’s bangin some girl(since a lot of people including me are saying why juicy doesn’t have an old lady?)

13. I guess Castle isn’t in the first episode very much?
    Beckett’s my favorite character, so I’ll always care about her journey and struggles, but I guess we should expect lots of complaints on the Castle-lite front next month.

• S. says:

That’s the thing, people might call something Castle-lite (which is just a possible theory about the premiere right now) but to me if an episode is all about Castle, is it really Castle-lite? In a way, it’s Castle-heavy. We’re assuming we don’t see footage of him while Beckett’s trying to find him. We saw Alexis in Paris.

• I’ll be surprised if we see much of Castle in the premiere, since they seem to be painting this big mystery, with few clues – plus Fillion was at SDCC for most of its filming.
        They may be focused on finding Castle, but if the drama and POV is focused on Beckett, then she is the driver of the story (as usual). Again, no complaints as a Beckett fan, but definitely concerns as a fan of the show and as someone who enjoys focus on the title character, plus seeing Fillion extend himself in performances beyond the bare minimum.
        It’s like in soap operas. You never want your fave actor’s character to be in a coma; you want your fave actor’s character to be the one monologuing over the coma patient. LOL

• lkh says:

Now that would be great! How about Beckett showing up at ComicCon (the characters stepping into reality) and finding Castle there fooling around with various gadgets? He could say something like “Oh, hi. You know I hate to miss these.” Calm down y’all, I’m joking.

• Doris says:

Yes we should have many complaints, if they aren’t married by episode two! Castle story-telling is best on tv, however get them married already!

14. Teri says:

Can’t wait for Beckett to be “Driven” to find the love of her life.

• Cindy says:

I agree Teri. Now that we know the title, and aptly named, I might add, lets hope it won’t take the whole episode to find him!!

15. Some chick says:

Haven is coming back in less than a month. Get them to spill more than cast photos. We need info!

• Michelle says:

I second this ^^^ I’ve been hoping for some Haven news for weeks, and yes before someone says it I have emailed asking for some scoop.

16. Martin Haro says:

“…nation’s capitAl…”.

17. Angela says:

Good to hear Yvette will be able to balance both “The Odd Couple” and “Community”. And yay for Ichabod’s parents showing up next season, too! Always happy to see Victor Garber, and I’m intrigued to meet his mom as well.

18. JC1 says:

I’m still kind of hoping that Catherine and Steve will end up together in the end, even if the actress doesn’t return full time. I just really liked those two together. I know it’s not likely since they’re using the word “closure” but….I always liked them together, even in the first season.

19. Bwhit says:

Got a little sad seeing Jax and Tara in that picture. I like that Sutter doesn’t do flashbacks or a dead character appearing for another character. It’s more powerful that way, especially since it appears Jax is all alone and completely unhinged this season without the two people that would pull him back into the light, Opie and Tara. Maybe Gemma will have an out loud dialogue with dead Tara apologizing for doing her in and Jax overhears it :).

20. Ella says:

Will Jack and Emily fans ever get a little joy or will we have to forever deal with random love interests to fill the void?

21. Larry says:

I’m so optimistic for this OUAT season. At first I thought frozen was just a clever marketing trick for the show, and to get a ratings boost, but I’m beginning to see a lot of potential, with the arc and season. It would seem a lot of thought and creativity is going into it, and I loved frozen so I’m on board lol. (Besides nothing wrong with making a great story, while bringing in a surge of new viewers, everyone does it)

22. Craig says:

Not surprised about a time jump for castle. That much was obvious. I think the sergeant who helps beckett from the hamptons comes to NY too for a short time. My guess they hit a dead end a third of the way through the episode. As castle tends to try and stick to real time my best guess is a 2-3 month time jump to get us up to date nothing more. probably catch a break in his whereabouts and ends with them finding him. Remember nearly every premiere of castle has a time jump. S3 was a few months. S4 was about 2-3 months. S6 was 6 weeks.

23. JR1234 says:

It’s nice to hear that NCIS:LA has started to remember they work for the Navy. Maybe they will start having plots where they actually do their job, not the job of the FBI/CIA/DIS/LAPD/NTSF:SD:SUV/etc.

• Phyllis Nethken says:

I hope so too. I would prefer seeing more navy theme episodes.

• Biya says:

I just hope the new time slot doesn’t get it cancelled. I love this show and the characters and agree that we need more “Navy” business. But not having the NCIS lead-in could be a show killer.

• tjchurch2001 says:

The vast majority of this series of comments upsets me. (They never forgot they worked for/with the Navy! The problem is half the time I’ve seen in past episodes, other federal agencies have battled them over jurisdiction, &/or asked them to accomplish something, only to complain how they do it!)

Having the lead-in or not could also be a show-killer for “NCIS: New Orleans” (here’s hoping), or could’ve been one for “NCIS: Red” (which would still be on the air if they’d smartly picked it up)!!

24. Rich Abey says:

Thanks for the Doctor Who & Castle scoops Matt!

25. sarah j says:

H50: I thought Peter said there was not chance for Michelle Borth to return, now he says he may. Interesting!
    Nashville: I assume Derek Hough’s characters love interest will be Scarlett.
    Grey’s:I am glad that they are not trying to bring in a new Meredith a new BFF. I still like the idea that her Alex will become closer!

26. tcb says:

Why is Shonda not giving any indication of Jackson and April storyline this season. Japril has a huge fanbase, and we have glimpses about every couple but them. What’s up with that???

27. Dj says:

Doctor Who hasn’t even started and I already deeply miss Matt.

28. Ari says:

I’d totally forgotten that Grey’s was doing the whole secret love child thing. Whomp whomp.

29. ChicagoDan says:

I have to laugh about Scandal not being able to do a remote in DC. Seriously? Isn’t it ABC’s #1 or #2 show in demo? If a soap like B&B can go to Dubai, Paris, Monte Carlo (all in past three months) and soon Amsterdam, how can this super successful prime time show, not get a DC remote?

30. LaBete says:

It is so sad that Jax is going to respond to Tara’s murder by becoming the unfettered monster that she never wanted him to be.

31. Phyllis Nethken says:

It seems each time we get a tid bit about Castle it changes or is so vague it does not spark my interest. I and millions of fans love this show. Do not self destruct like Moonlighting. This is a much better program all around so stop with the nonsense!

• lame says:

Don’t know if you read, tv guide’s mega buzz blurp, that it wasn’t sure that Caskett were married by the end of 7.01.

32. kidris90 says:

So someone asked about YNB on Community, but no one bothered to ask if Alison Brie will be coming back-which is something people have been worried about. Sigh.

• Angela says:

I wasn’t aware that was even a concern. Why do people think she wouldn’t come back? From what I’ve heard, everyone is signed on for the new season, so I don’t think there’s anything to fear.

33. Tracy says:

I want to know if Kensi and Deeks will start their relationship back up again? I love those two together!

34. tjchurch2001 says:

No problem with Vance crossing-over to LA, or taking time to solve Hetty issues…But for the love of all things “NCIS” (including the should-have-stayed “Red” & the new “New Orleans”), tell me we’re getting rid of “Granger”!!

35. do you know if the show “The Game” is over for good or was that a Season finale not a Finale for ever?

36. Ken says:

How many times is Yahoo going to run this same column.

37. Cathy Viviano says:

Holdup! Nobody mentioned the fate of Meredith and Derek’s marriage?
    Is april pregnant?

38. Phoenixcoach says:

Reblogged this on PHOENIX RELATIONSHIP COACHING and commented:
    The juiciest gossip and updates from Michael Ausiello at TVLine.com

39. colleen says:

what station is this on

40. Are Beauty and the Beast and Hart of Dixie coming back to the CW this season? Haven’t seen them on any schedules yet.

41. Anita says:

Will Longmire be coming back?

42. Robert H says:

I am very much a Castle fan. Is there any information or even speculation about whether this is the last year of the series, I hope that it, like Bones, has several seasons left.