The Blacklist Season 2 Premiere Photos: Are Liz and Red On the Run?

The Blacklist - Season 2

The freshman finale of The Blacklist left us with plenty of unanswered questions — and from the looks of it, Season 2 will pose even more.

NBC has released a handful of photos from the drama’s Season 2 premiere (airing Sept. 22 at 10/9c), and there’s a whooooole lot that we need cleared up.

RELATED  What Happens Next: Is The Blacklist‘s Red Really Liz’s Father?

Among the head-scratchers:

* What could be inside not one, but two important-looking envelopes?

* Where are Liz and Red currently laying low? On one hand, the duo is sitting in plain sight on the front steps of a building (while Red casually scans the morning paper), but that doesn’t explain Liz’s woman-on-the-run attire.

* What’s the meaning of the music box Red seems to be tinkering with?

Also conspicuously absent from the photos are Tom, Berlin and FBI head Harold Cooper, all of whom were left MIA or injured at the end of Season 1.

So click through the gallery below to get your first taste of Season 2, then hit the comments with your thoughts on what the premiere might bring.

1. BetiSA says:

I will watch Castle live and The Blacklist on Tuesdays.

2. Simon Jester says:

Hmmm, I was sure Liz was going to get a haircut this season so that Megan Boone could ditch the wig.

• Josh says:

It doesn’t look like a wig anymore… has her real hair grown out?

• tp says:

She said she liked wearing the wig because at the end of the day it’s like taking off a uniform. I agree though that it appears to be her real hair in the pics.

• Mandy says:

At the very least, I think she graduated from full-on wig to extensions. Look at pictures 1 and 2: the ponytail may be a clip-on, but that looks like her real hair in front. Much more realistic… now what are we going to make fun of?

• Delirious says:

Do we know why they insist in having her with long hair? The short hair looks (looked?) awesome on miss Boone…

3. Tran says:

So excited that were just 35 days left before The Blacklist returns. The series move to Thursdays at 9 p.m. beginning February 5th will do just fine but it probably won’t go back to its regular time slot even though I’m worried that NBC’s new drama series State of Affairs could either be a hit or a miss for the network now that the Katherine Heigl led series has lost its show runner. Wonder if The Blacklist-Scandal showdown come mid-season could be the next CSI-Grey’s Anatomy showdown.

4. Coal says:

The supporting characters were really under developed to such an extent that when some of them died they went really missed and it didn’t affect the story telling in anyway. I hope that changes this coming season.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto, and can we find out if Red is Liz’s father (and what Tom knew/knows) BEFORE the break – no huge months-long cliffhanger please.

5. Kathy Bronchella says:

If Red is Not her father, he was, at very least, present at the time of the house fire. I believe he is the one who saved her life ,which is how he came to have burn scars all over his back. That being said, I still cling to the idea, hope, that he is indeed her father.

6. ann says:

i hope red is her father but i know this the stewmaker killed the berlins daughter and red was involved some how he stole the picture out of the album when he gave it to lizzy the picture in the finale. i love the show but i do like tom where did lizzy hide him

7. anthony lukata says:

Red is hiding something from liz. Tom might be knowing some truth about red.

8. Shoney says:

I don’t see Ressler in the photos. I hope to see lots of him in Season 2. He is closer to Red and Liz. Hope him and Liz form a really close bond and then maybe something more. Ressler is my favorite character and then of course Reddington.

9. Susan says:

I think that Tom knows something about Red, But I hope Lizzie doesn’t jump to easily to believe him. I like the connection with Red and Lizzie, I think she can learn a lot from Red

10. How can anyone be on the run wish high heel’s on? They are not “on the run” Did you miss the secret meeting’s etc from season 1?

• Jean Alica says:

I prefer Liz with Red even though I know that she and Ressler have a lot in common having lost someone they cared about. Tom will do anything to split Liz and Red up because he wants to hurt Red. Liz would have checked if Tom was dead before she left but unlike Red wished she did not shoot him. This means that someone revived him and got him out of there which seems more like CIA to me than Berlin. Maybe Tom got more into the darkness having been undercover for years. He had Liz blindly in love with him until Red came along and made sure he got a good beating. In those few weeks Liz found the box and the ball started rolling. If you save someones life you feel in those few moments in tune with them. If a desperate man saves a child’s life and later has the money to provide her with a good education we ask ourselves why. He may feel paternal towards her but it does not mean he is her father. He told her “NO” and I do not think Red would lie to her about something like that. Why he has to protect her that is a something different which will take us a long time to learn. Just some thought’s sorry it is so long.

• First don’t ever be sorry sending me a long message,especially if it’s well written and shares idea’s like my own,ok? lol. I just CAN NOT disagree with a word you say,reading your message has enticed me to watch berlin part 1 and 2 again it was that good and in line with my own thought’s.Complete pleasure to read your message.Thank you.

11. Jean Alica says:

Hallo Tez Thank you for your nice comment. What do you think about this new hard Liz? This of course makes her the double of Ressler. Hard on top and intense underneath. I understand why people want this couple because they are attractive together and of an age. But the more I see of this the less I like it. The moment you start with a romance or even a hint of one in the long term people could get upset if they do not get what they want. I want to see Liz firing not just a gun in the future but a kalashnikov and she will not do that with Ressler’s baby on her knee.

• Could not agree with you more.Red is her father,i have no doubts.I think the man her father once was died,or had died before that particular night,what was born was the red we have today,unless we are being thrown…..how do you guy’s say? Being thrown curve ball’s??..Hey thank you for the reply,enjoy the 2nd season as much as i hope i will.

12. Tisha Hicks says:

im so excited i can’t wait for the 2nd season to get rolling!

• Jean Alica says:

Me to Trisha but I have to wait longer as I am across the pond. I do not think Red is her father. When he tells Liz the truth he tends not to lie. I think Liz is now one of the three characters who know what it is like to be “Swimming in immeasurable grief.” Being married to someone for two years and loving them never mind the physical close side of things, it maybe is a good thing that she is to busy trying to survive. That will make her heard so I understand what they mean now. Red will try to protect her! She must know that.