Fox Expels Tina Fey's Cabot College

Cabot College Cancelled

Tina Fey’s Cabot College failed to make the grade at Fox.

In a rare misfire for the 30 Rock star, the network has passed on the half-hour comedy from Fey and her frequent collaborators Robert Carlock and Matt Hubbard, Variety reports.

The project, which was to star Asif Ali, Margaret Cho, Fortune Feimster, Jack Cutmore-Scott and Bonnie Dennison, centered on a women’s college that started accepting men for the first time.

Fox, under then-president Kevin Reilly, gave Cabot College a straight-to-series order last summer. Ultimately, only a pilot episode was shot.

1. Kat says:

uh oh…Fox better watch out or the Feygency will come after them!

2. Jen says:

bummer. I like Fortune Feimster and was looking forward to this show.

3. Et al says:

They must have realized it was funny and therefore completely incompatible with any of their other comedies.

4. David4 says:

They had to make room for more shows like Dad.

5. Miranda says:

Oh, classic Fox move…

6. DavidSask says:

Leak the pilot please this is a no brainer!!!

7. Patrick says:

So, it was a college show without any hot young college age cast members? Unlike some other posters here, there are 2-3 people in that cast who I absolutely won’t watch for any reason. I change the channel to get away from them.

This would have to be hilarious to overcome the premise/cast.

• radmcawesome says:

Let me guess, you watched 2 1/2 Men instead of 30 Rock when they where in the same time slot?

I’d have to disagree with your opinion. It seems that they choose talent over aesthetics and it’s a shame that Fox’s new management couldn’t see pass all that. I really thought this had promise.

• Patrick says:

Nope. Watched 30 live and DVR’d Men. Loved 30. Loved it. This sounded bad. Fey wasn’t even going to be involved. She is going to be more involved in the NBC show. This was a no-show producer credit on her part.
        This was going to be mediocre. At best. It was going to be a workplace comedy set at a women’s school admitting men for the first time.
        Its funny that you mentioned 2.5 Men. Cause that’s the humor that this show would have resorted to all too often.

8. Ari says:

Fox would have butchered the energy such a cast as talented as this group. Fey and Ali would have been terrific together. Seriously speaking, Tina Fey would be terrific in a no holds barred venue like HBO, which afforded Julia Dreyfus to use her talents to the utmost. Imagine Fox granting her that liberal swing comedy?!?!?

9. Bong says:

Sounds bad. And since Fox thought it wasn’t worth the time after just a pilot was made, it probably really reeked.

10. Ally Oop says:

I actually liked the premise of Cabot College but this doesn`t surprise me. I`ve become pretty cynical regarding television comedies in recent years.The only current comedies I watch are The Goldbergs, Big Bang Theory, Young and Hungry and Baby Daddy although none of them are in my top 20 list. I`m not super optimistic about any of the new comedies I’m interested in including A to Z, Fresh Off the Boat and Selfie because of their timeslots. I just think the half-hour comedy format should die already.

11. Igo says:

Why people think it is fox fault, maybe the show itself had a major flaw that made the network pass the project, I am not a fox fans at all like I’m mad that they keep changing bones schedule last season, but in this case but sick of this people blaming on someone without knowing what’s really going on. Oh and to those commenters saying that fox has flop comedy? The network has TMP and B99 which are two of the smarter comedy shows this past season. If you don’t realize that, then I’m sorry for your flop taste.

12. Reality says:

Not surprised, the concept would probably have worked better as a movie. Most people on here seem to just be going by the fact that Tina Fey was involved. Don’t get me wrong, I like Fey, but just because she has some good projects on her resume and a devoted fanbase does not mean she can’t produce a dud or two. She’s also busy churning out several screenplays for movie studios, so don’t worry just because Fox didn’t pick up a show she was producing.

13. Brandy says:

Wow. I totally would’ve watched.

14. Joey says:

Not surprising. Fox makes very few good decisions. I really worry about the futures of shows like The Mindy Project, Gotham and Sleepy Hollow.

15. SJ says:

Stupid is as stupid does. Fox will deservedly be at #4 this coming season. No worries, Tina still has Kimmy Schmidt over on NBC.