Craig Ferguson Eyes Deal for Syndicated 7pm Talk Show

November 1, 2013

Craig Ferguson is eyeing his next TV gig — one that’ll get him to bed at a more reasonable hour.

The Scottish-born comic, who is stepping down at the host of CBS’ The Late Late Show in December 2014, is in final talks to launch a daily, syndicated 7pm talk show that will air on all Tribune Media stations, according to Variety.

RELATED Revenge Admits ‘Lisa Simpson’ as Victoria’s Season 4 [Spoiler]

Ferguson’s latest venture is being envisioned as a 30-minute mix of comedy and interviews that would debut in fall 2015 and lead into reruns of either Two and a Half Men or The Big Bang Theory.

Variety notes that The Late Late Show‘s current executive producer, Michael Naidus, would also come aboard the new venture.

British actor/comedian James Corden has reportedly been tapped to take over Ferguson’s 12:35pm CBS slot.

Excited that Ferguson won’t be off the airwaves for too long? Sound off in the comments!

1. Angela says:

Certainly excited about the idea of him coming back to TV on a regular basis…just an odd time of day for a talk show. I don’t know how well that would work. And, of course, for those who like his crazier antics, a show that’s only 30 minutes long, and one that’s running in the evening hours instead of late at night, no less, doesn’t seem like a time period that would really lend itself well to such things.
    But if he’s wanting to do a more subdued, calm sort of show, or if he can manage to make his wackiness work in that time slot, then hey, great! If all goes well and he does get the show, I’ll definitely check it out when it debuts next year, then.

• Carla Krae says:

Not sure 7pm works for him, either. For instance, look at how many times they bleep him swearing on late night! He’d be censored even more than he is now.

• Angela says:

Haha, exactly! But if he can rein it in a little, who knows?
        Also, I fully agree with other commentators that Geoff and Secretariat need to be part of this show.

• Noelia Jaime Interlandi says:

Craig Ferguson is a “Not ready for primeTime player”And i love that about him.They will try to suck the funny out of him and tell him what to do and what not to do.I dont like the idea.I wish he was on HBO.I dont want anyone to mess with Craigs humor, intelligence or freedom.

• Ana Gomez says:

If they are smart, they’ll put an edited version on regular TV and have the longer, unedited version of interviews out on the web. I love watching him with Ewan McGregor. To me, they should have their own show and just sit there and chat.

2. Andrea says:

I like Craig, so this is good news, but 7 PM is probably way too early for Geoff. I’ll miss him come December.

3. Kristy says:

YAY! !!! I feel so much better now….although, will Geoff be there too?

4. TV Gord says:

I’m not sure how I feel about this. I could see how he could rein in the antics a bit and make it a tighter show, and if he focuses on one guest a night–and tried to get the ones who are better conversationalists (where Craig truly excels), I could see this working. Hopefully, Geoff Peterson (or even Josh Robert Thompson) would be involved, too. And he would take Michael with him? He’s a racist, man! ;-)

Between this and Celebrity Name Game, Craig could become the king of first-run syndication!

While I’m skeptical, there’s one thing that I am sure of…I WILL be watching!

• Jack says:

Unfortunately, Josh Robert Thompson has other things in developement, so he most likely will not be on the new show.

5. David4 says:

Isn’t he also doing a gameshow?

6. Carla Krae says:

Hmmm. He also has that game show that he’s already been working on. Could he potentially have two series running at the same time?

7. Rodg says:

Just bring Geoff and Secretariat with you

8. how can he take the producer??? he’s a racist!

9. Ed says:

and for ppl who don’t get the Tribune channels?

• TV Gord says:

Online, probably. YouTube?

• Marc says:

I think that they mean that it will be syndicated (perhaps by Tribune) with all the Tribune stations carrying it. This happens a lot: a new syndicated show is announced with advanced sale to the owner of a bunch of stations (eg: Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC owned and operated, Scripps, Tribune, Gannett)

10. herman1959 says:

I could see it as an after-dinner talk show with serious guests – sort of like Dick Cavett or David Frost – but of course, with a brand new production staff. It is possible to do a serious talk show for adults without cursing.

• Angela says:

That’s the sort of show I would hope it’d be-I’d be totally fine with him doing something like that. He’s shown, with the rare episodes of his late night show where he did hour-long interviews with Stephen Fry or Archbishop Tutu or whomever, that he can do a show in that vein and do it well. So if that’s the route he goes, I’d happily watch that.

• TV Gord says:

Exactly. Patton Oswalt is another name who comes to mind. Some of his conversations with Craig have been on that same level. Kristen Bell, too, and Peter Capaldi, of course. I think he has a good stable of go-to guests who would be terrific in this format!

I think I’m coming around… ;-)

11. Annie says:

Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please…

12. Luis says:

I’m glad Craig is doing another talk show – I thought he was one of the better interviewers in late night. A 20 minute show at 7 p.m. will be substantially different that this show, but I am looking forward to seeing it.

13. Ed says:

Craig Kilborn had a 7pm show a few years back

14. Richard Beynon says:

What a great Idea I can watch Ferguson again!
    His late show was just too late.
    But will his risqué humor be allowed??????
    I HOPE SO!
    Richard , Redondo Beach

15. JDH says:

Is Geoff going with him????

16. Polly says:

RSA rejoice!
    this news totally made my day!

17. Javadude54 says:

Will it be called the Early Early Show?

18. LABete says:

Super happy to hear we’re not losing Craig after all. I’ll definitely watch. I hope Geoff and Secretariat come along too!

19. great,great,great I’m not much of a latenight viewer but I stay up just for Criag, I was very upset at the thought of not having him make me laugh nightly, will Greoff go with him? WONDERFUL

20. NJMark says:

Following in the footsteps of his “Late Late Show” predecessor, Craig Kilborn! “The Kilborn File” had a pilot run a few summers ago, but it wasn’t picked up. Still, it was good to see “Five Questions” again.

21. Jeff says:

Get to work ya bum! :)

22. babs Tadokoro says:

I don’t really want Craig to leave late night but just a 1/2 show???Not sure it would work but really have enjoyed him. I’m not a big game show watcher so his new game show really doesn’t interest me!!