HBO Renews The Leftovers for Season 2

The Leftovers Season 2

There will be Leftovers to enjoy come 2015, as HBO has renewed the Damon Lindelof-helmed drama series for a second season.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Been Cancelled?

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

“We are thrilled to bring back The Leftovers for a second season with the exceptional talents of Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta [on whose bestselling novel the series is based],” HBO programming chief Michael Lombardo said in a statement. “It has been truly exciting to see the overwhelming response to their provocative and original storytelling. We look forward to continuing the journey as the show delves deeper into the lives of those who remain.”

RELATED TVLine’s Performer of the Week: The Leftovers‘ Carrie Coon

The Leftovers debuted in June to 1.8 million total viewers, and at last tally was holding on to 1.6 mil of ‘em. The freshman finale airs Sunday, Sept. 7

1. wrstlgirl says:

I’m enjoying The Leftovers so this is good news. One thing though, I get that the people in white are supposed to be reminders of what happened (or did I get that wrong??) but what I don’t get is the smoking. What’s with the smoking??? Can someone help me out?

2. Berryvic says:

So very happy to read this! Thoroughly enjoying this show.

3. valarie says:

I read somewhere before this was a mini series . Please tell me that’s not the case and they will keep the same characters?

4. Dean says:

Game of thones, under the dome the leftovers. Has creative writing become so out dated that tv writers use books as their foundations.

5. Annie says:

I admit, I’m a little surprised. I honestly didn’t think the book translated so well to the small screen but – well, there you go.

6. TJ says:

I really enjoy Chasing Life. How has it done in the ratings?

7. suzyku says:

We watched the first episode and were completely and thoroughly disgusted by the killing of animals for no apparent reason other than to “throw it in” for those sicko’s who like that sort of thing! Never watched again and never will!

• Tim says:

The dogs ended up being rabid and very dangerous so there was a reason to gun them down.

• Virgil says:

Nobody likes that sort of thing. I swear TV has made people so freaking stupid and brainwashed it’s kind of hilarious or sad or genius depending on your outlook. It’s just like all the morons who bitch about weaker female characters or not enough black people or blah blah blah. You don’t have to tune in and if enough people agree, then no one will watch and the show will fail. Problem solved. But instead we get stupid diatribes about how everyone and everything is racist or against animals or against women. Just shut the hell up already. I’ve talked with former Black Panthers and women who were part of the suffrage movement and the consensus I get is that they are disgusted by how their struggles have been co-opted and used to manipulate/brainwash people into somehow believing that everything is about a social issue. Guess what? That’s just how you manipulate and divide people and turn them into mindless idiots who can’t have a rational discussion for fear of “offending” someone. Mind control plain and simple. I mean read a history book. Political correctness is literally one of the main strategies employed by Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia….guess it’s still pretty effective.

• As Tim says there was a perfectly good plot reason for it. And it wasn’t depicted in any sort of gory or sensationalist way. Dogs and other animals reacted very badly to the event (whatever it was), and pets whose owners vanished reverted to the wild. The show was very clear that there was a pack of wild dogs outside the town and they were the only ones that were shot. So it wasn’t your fluffy little household pets.

• IMHO says:

I really tried to like the show but I found it too depressing for several reasons and I didn’t really like watching dogs die.
      They may of had a reason for killing them They may of had a reason for shooting the dogs down on the streets but it’s just not something I want to watch on TV .
      To each his own.

• caro_brasil says:

look, i don´t want spoiler you, but the dogs are in a dream, or going to heaven, so slow down before turn it off, there is a good reason

• puredieselbc says:

caro, re-read the post, IMHO doesn’t like the abuse of the dogs, dream or no dream, and has already STOPPED watching. They’ve already turned it off, so save your breathe.

• Miranda says:

Are you otherwise OK with the suffering of the humans who were taken away en masse during the event depicted on October 14?
      And are you similarly disgusted when watching crime shows where human beings are murdered or assaulted?

8. Et al says:

My favorite show at the moment. Happy to hear this news!

9. Ray says:

I thought I’d enjoy The Leftovers based on it’s pedigree, but it was the most boring, inane show I made a point to DVR in years.

10. Nelson Cooke says:

The best tv show since Six Feet Under

• aliensoul77 says:

I literally wish I could slap you in the face for saying that. This show is garbage compared to Six Feet Under. Leftovers is a bunch of leftovers that have been in the fridge too long and are growing fungus, it’s a mish-mash of plotlines that make no sense and characters that wander around aimlessly. It is honestly one of the worst shows I have ever seen.

11. Juan says:

Very happy about these news. It’s really good and thought provoking

12. EB says:

Why?? This show is a total snooze. I gave up after the fourth episode; the story just wasn’t moving forward and nothing was making any sense. I kept dozing off when I watched it, so I finally just deleted it from my DVR. Too bad; I had such high hopes.

• Pam Smith says:

I had the same problem, but then something happened, and something else. It became so interesting & challenging that I couldn’t get enough. Now I am definitely hooked. I am so glad I didn’t give up & delete it.

13. Ironmeden says:

The 3rd episode is so deep in clues about what is about to happen in that episode. Its one of the best episodes of tv since the original season of American Horror Story.

14. aliensoul77 says:

WORST SHOW EVER MADE FOR TV!!! AN ATHEIST’S LOVE LETTER TO HUMANITY, everything is empty and meaningless, blah blah blah.

15. I am excited as this should give way more than what was in the book. Season 2 will be like a book sequel. :)

16. chels says:

Have watched all ten episodes and its amazing, love it so much, onlydown sideis that it keeps making me cry I am an emotional wreck watching it at times, please dont stop, not enough programmes like this out there, oh and to people who dont like it, go on the crime channel or the news bet ya watch them yea funnily enough its still gorey or sad on there, its not real life they are not real dogs, god are people so sad these days that you have to moan about every little thing, no wonder the world is going the way it is, cant even have an imagination these days or real life emotions in a series without getting moaned at, its a lot blimin better then all the other crap on tele xfactor etc thats all fake and staged, and that hurts peoples feelings go have a dig at them, or while your atit eastenders could be too bad for tele things they do in that, bunch of saddos.