Emmys

Emmys 2014: 'Meaningful' Tribute to Robin Williams in the Works

robin-williams-death-emmys-2014-in-memoriam-tribute

Have an extra Kleenex on hand for the 2014 Emmy Awards.

The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences is planning to pay tribute to comedy legend Robin Williams during its Aug. 25 telecast (8/7c on NBC) in the wake of the actor’s shocking death on Monday.

RELATED Robin Williams: 13 Things You May Not Have Known About His Life, Legacy

“Plans for the ‘In Memoriam’ segment are in discussion,” said Don Mischer, Executive Producer of the 66th Emmy Awards. “While we are all still coming to terms with this week’s tragic news, we are working to give Robin Williams the proper and meaningful remembrance he so well deserves.”

RELATED An Emotional Jimmy Fallon Tributes, Channels the ‘Genius’ Robin Williams

Any ideas for how Emmys can properly bid farewell to Williams? Which TV clips are a must-include for his highlight reel? And who would you like to see leading the tribute? Sound off below!

1. Paul says:

Henry Winkler Pam Dawber and Sarah Michelle Geller

2. Beckers0505@yahoo.com says:

I think anyone who has worked with him has a right to be in the clip. However that would make the clip very long, but touching.

3. Diane says:

I second Henry Winkler Pam Dawber and Sarah Michelle Geller Also Gary Marshall. Maybe even Whoopi or Billy.

• Walter Freeman says:

Maybe Whoopi or Billy? Maybe?! Of course both.

• Diane says:

Was debating if they would do a tribute for the Oscars or Emmy’s or both.

• kd86953 says:

I’m sure they’ll do something at the Oscars as well, especially considering his career was mostly in film and he’s an Academy Award winning actor. Both tributes are going to make me super emotional, no doubt.

4. Paul says:

Oh And Sally Field

5. Judie says:

I think you should have Billy Crystal and Whoopie Goldberg and last but not least is Pam Dauber.

6. Judie says:

You should have guest speakers: Pam Dauber, Whoopie Goldberg, Billy Crystal.

7. Terry says:

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck

8. Cody says:

I think there should be a few included: Pam Dawber, Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Crystal, and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

9. Awesome website you have here but I was curious about if you
    knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed
    here? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Thank you!

10. Jared Munson says:

I think a clip from Happy Days leading to Mork & Mindy leading to SVU (powerful ep) to Crazy Ones. With Henry Winkler, Christopher Meloni (he had a nice picture with Robin) and Sarah Michelle Geller leading it

11. ao says:

Bonnie hunt.

12. Barbara says:

Whatever they do, I’m guaranteed to be an emotional mess. He brought so much joy to so many. He is missed.

13. Tom says:

I just want it to be a longer tribute than the short segment the in memoriam gets. Id love if Whoopi and Billy presented the beginning leading a slew of former costars to speak about him leading to SMG. Would love to see his family but it might be too soon for them

14. KCC says:

I wonder how they decide who gets a personal tribute and who just gets his/her picture shown. James Garner, Shirley Temple, Mickey Rooney, Casey Kasem, Maya Angelou, Ralph Waite, Elaine Stritch, Eli Wallach, Ann B. Davis, and Ruby Dee have also passed this year. All of whom have made contributions to entertainment and the television industry in some way

• Yeah KCC, that’s true, although their deaths are not as close to the Emmy’s as Williams’. It will be an interesting decision. I would think he would be included along with the others in the normal In Memoriam segment, but not necessarily given any special attention. Not that he doesn’t deserve it, but how do you decide who gets special attention and who doesn’t?

• Peggy says:

don’t forget Lauren Bacall, an icon and legend

15. Maria says:

Maybe a few clips like Jimmy Fallon showed the other night…from Carson (and/or Letterman and other talk shows). That would give us the unscripted, spontaneous side of him too.

16. Eli says:

Pam and Sarah should lead it.

17. J M Rock says:

I agree with KCC about all of the wonderful actors lost this year, but for some reason, when the loss is not from “old” age or natural causes, when sadly you almost accept it because it was that persons “time”……it is a heartbreaking, unthinkable situation to have to let go of such a remarkable genius like Robin. I have watched his movies from my collection for the last 2 days and had tears in my eyes from laughter and from the thought that he is gone. I will miss him.

18. Timi says:

Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg, Sarah Michelle Geller and Pam Dawber

19. cyclone says:

I didn’t like them taking time last year to single out those 4 (or 5) people (one of whom Robin himself paid tribute) and I don’t think they should do it with Robin Williams even though his death was tragic. I think it diminishes the other people who have passed this year. They should just do a In Memoriam part of the show that will honor everyone fairly equally (they can put Robin at the end or show an additional clip or something).

20. Nathan says:

Without question, it should be Whoopi, Billy, Pam Dawber, Henry Winkler, and Sarah Michelle Gellar. His wife and/or daughter would be nice.!!!