Exclusive

Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce Taps Hung Actress to Fill Janeane Garofalo Void

Alanna Ubach Girlfriends' Guide to Divirce

Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce is hooking Lisa Edelstein up with a new BFF.

Alanna Ubach (Hung, Men of a Certain Age) is joining Bravo’s first-ever scripted drama in the series-regular role of Jo, a blunt, brassy New Yorker and Abby’s best friend from college who comes to LA to help her through her divorce.

Ubach’s character will fill the void left by Janeane Garofalo, who, as TVLine first reported, is exiting the show.

RELATED Girlfriends’ Guide Casting Scoop: Look Who’s Playing Lisa Edelstein’s TV Mom

Additionally, Matthew Glave (ER, Growing Up Fisher) and Virginia Williams (Fairly Legal, How I Met Your Mother) will recur as Gordon and Courtney Beech, a high-profile fashion couple currently going through a divorce handled by Delia (Necar Zadegan).

GGTD premieres Tuesday, Dec. 2.

1. Temperance says:

Ubach is totally, hysterically funny. Good call.

2. Rich says:

I’m really starting to lose track of the BFFs in this show. I get the feeling there’s going to be a very high turnover of actresses.

3. Maris. C. says:

I only care about Edelstein and Adelstein.

• Rich says:

I’m starting to think that’s the best way to embrace the show, but it’s supposed to be about the ‘girlfriends’. It’s really not a good start.

• Maris. C. says:

It´s supposed to be about Abby and her journey. Friends can be interchangable in the show as they are in real life. I´m more interested in her story with the husband-ex-husband

• Keisha says:

At this point I could care less about the girlfriends and am more interested in Abby’s journey and relationship with her children and soon to be ex Jake. That’s it. (From what I’m reading lately online this seems to be the consensus). BJG’s work doesn’t impress me, cant stand JG but she’s gone and this new girl, I’ve seen her stuff, not impressive at all. Dammit give Lisa E a strong supporting cast like she had in House, M.D. !!

• jj says:

You mean strong supporting cast like … Olivia Wilde and Jennifer Morrison? lol I prefer Beau and Necar but each to their own ;)

4. Laura says:

As long as Lisa Edelstein, Paul Adelstein and Beau are there, I’m there. I’m still not over the fantastic trailer.

5. Dean says:

Given the rumours about Janeane Garofalo and Beau Garrett on suspect behaviour this doesn’t surprise me.

6. HeatherR says:

Ahh here we go ANOTHER best friend, this one conveniently from college. Give me a break. Love Lisa but this reeks. How long till this one is gone?

7. Marlene says:

Oh boy maybe this one will wind up making out with Beau Garrett’s character too. Seriously people, get us some real female talent here will you? Besides Lisa E of course. She’s the reason I’m watching. Is this show just about pretty rich chicks boinking guys half their age?

• Ro says:

And this is my problem with the whole premise. I know Bravo’s demo is obscenely rich housewives, but what is the point of a version of Sex and the City that just happens to be set in Los Angeles with wealthy divorcees? It seems so dated and limited in this current climate, especially as it’s likely to revolve around ‘male/female conquest of the week.’ The token bisexuality for shock value is as irritating as hell too.

I think Edelstein deserves better than this to be honest.

• Christina says:

Lisa Edelstein is a smart woman and I don’t think she’d accept a role if she didn’t find it a really good one. I cringed at some cliche scenes in the trailer and while I’m not sold on the premise either I’m taking a wait-and-see approach and crossing my fingers.That said, I have to wonder how many people really are interested in a show about this subject matter. Ten years ago maybe but now? I am hoping it isn’t about the male/female conquest as you put it. That would ruin the show and be boring. It also would not befit an actress like Lisa who will be the one to carry this show. More and more it seems people are gravitating to watching for Abby and her ex rather than Abby and her girlfriends. I think the relationship between her and the children and ex as someone said earlier, will be the highlight of this thing. Bravo would not have been my first choice for this show but then again it could’ve been worse. It could’ve been on HBO, Cinemax or Showtime. And that would’ve been worse.

• Ro says:

I’d take HBO or Showtime over Bravo any day of the week.

• MegLee says:

The problem with HBO, Cinemax, Showtime is they think women have to prove their worth on screen with their clothes off.

• Keisha says:

JJ…in response to your comment when i say Lisa’s supporting cast in House I mean Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard. Hugh wasn’t a supporting member but he was part of the ensemble. Those three were the best on the show. That’s the kind of cast i mean.

• Chris says:

The pilot looks good but then they had to throw the girl kiss in there and I rolled my eyes. “The token bisexuality for shock value” reminds me of Olivia Wilde’s character in House. Making her bisexual added nothing to the character but it made horny eighteen year old boys watch. Please! This show should be more intelligent than that. At least I hope so.

I hope this show makes it because Lisa Edelstein is such a great actress. But I’m just not that excited over it because I just don’t care about anyone else in it.

8. K says:

Yeah I’m only watching for Lisa and Beau.

9. JuryDuty says:

Looking forward to this show because of Lisa Edelstein (who isnt?) and at least I like Paul Adelstein. But everyone knows that while the show is loosely based on Iovines books, it’s all about Marti Noxon’s divorce. I wish I cared about her costars but I just don’t. I find them boring in anything any of them have been in. Lisa shines. I’m happy for her.

10. david says:

My wife watched the pilot and said the show is a must watch. Janeane is a good actress but a bad cookie so it’s a good thing they got rid of her this early. After all, Lisa is the one that carries this and she is a sweetheart