Sarah Michelle Gellar Pays Tribute to Robin Williams, Calls Him 'The Father I Had Always Dreamed of Having'

Robin Williams Dies

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Robin Williams‘ familial bond on CBS’ The Crazy Ones extended off screen.

The actress, who played Williams’ daughter on CBS’ late, underrated comedy, released a statement paying tribute to her TV dad, who died Monday of an apparent suicide at age 63.

RELATED Robin Williams Remembered: Stars Mourn the Actor’s Loss on Twitter

“My life is a better place because I knew Robin Williams,” Gellar said. “To my children he was Uncle Robin, to everyone he worked with, he was the best boss anyone had ever known, and to me he was not just an inspiration but he was the Father I had always dreamed of having. There are not enough adjectives to describe the light he was, to anyone that ever had the pleasure to meet him. I will miss him everyday, but I know the memory of him will live on. And to his family, I thank them for letting us know him and seeing the joy they brought him. Us crazy ones love you.”

Gellar, whose statement was first obtained by People.com, went on to say, “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Shortly after news of Williams’ death broke, Gellar tweeted the following photo collage:

1. Melosm says:

It is so sad!

2. Holly says:

So sad.

3. LizAvellino says:

Yawnfest. He was a great man indeed, we all loved him. Who gives a crap what Sarah Michelle Gellar has to say? Nice addition of the serenity prayer there Sarah. Publicity whore much?

• itsbighead says:

LizAvellino pls

• Leebs2210 says:

You shouldn’t assume you know a person’s intent in things they say or do. Sarah has never been a publicity whore.

• This is the most disgusting comment I’ve read in a while. And yes, I’ve been to Reddit.

• Bama girl says:

Wow. Really? This is such a sad comment

• Grethe says:

i’m all for speaking your mind etc, but that was totally uncalled for and you should be ashamed of yourself

• abz says:

What a ridiculous comment!! You really should be ashamed of yourself. SMG had a lot to say about him because she’s one of the few people to have been given the chance to work so closely with him in the past year before he died.

• Boiler says:

Such a sickening comment LizAvellino. RIP Robin.

• Jim says:

How sad for you. She was extremely close to Robin & she’s simply expressing her sorrow & loss at his passing. I guess when you lose somebody close to you, you won’t say a word about it, right?

• dee123 says:

Still hate Buffy that much huh Liz?

• JimC says:

@ LizAvellino Do you know Gellar? If you don’t, what gives you the right to make wild assumptions about her? Because you have an internet connection? The only thing that gives you the right to do is be yourself, which you are doing quite well. Just keep being a troll….it’s probably what you do best.

• Jellymoff says:

Actually out of all the celebs that are making statements on social media, etc, she is one of a few that people probably care about the most. She worked very closely with him recently. I think she has a lot of class and I know when I heard he had passed I wondered what she was feeling as I am a fan of hers. During a time when so many are mourning, there has to be someone on the internet ready to spew hate. Your comment is the real “Yawnfest”. It’s predictable and tired.

• Billie says:

I, like you, thought about her, when I heard of his passing. I was glad to hear what she had to say. She was very close to him.

• Sherrie says:

I also thought about SMG when I heard of him passing. My condolences to her and everyone else who was affected by this tragedy. The world has lost one of it’s brightest lights. RIP Robin Williams.

• beckstle says:

I watched The Crazy Ones and followed the interviews Williams and Gellar always seemed close. Furthermore, fans are wrecked by his death. Those people who knew him personally, I can’t imagine their sense of loss. I find the willingness of celebrities like Gellar to share a small bit of their memories a testimony to who he was. Why have people become so cynical about celebrities sharing happy stories about him and expressing grief about his loss. They are the ones who actually knew him.

• Eran says:

Disgusting, vile creature. @LizAellIno

• MrMank says:

I honestly don’t care if they remove my comment, Liz, but you are a bonafide bitch!

• Thanh says:

I can’t even think about anything, because of my sadness at the loss of Robin Williams. What is wrong with you? Geez.

• Jane says:

PLEASE QUIT RESPONDING TO THIS PERSON. IT IS WHAT THEY WANT. IGNORE THEM. Yes I know I was yelling. I meant to do so.

• D says:

LizAvellino, so many bad things I want to say about you right now but I don’t want to get banned. She knew him, she has a right to express her loss.

• Summer says:

They just spent a year working together, you moron. Of course she’s going to have some things to say. And all of the celebrities right now are expressing their views on what happened.

Go grab a life you cow.

• tahina45 says:

You must have confused her with a Kardashian who really are media wh*res! Good for SMG, gained xx points in my list.

• YesIndeed says:

@LizAvellino. It’s cold cold people like you who make this world a sadder place. You’re an unfortunate person and I’m sorry for the family, friends, and co-workers who must endure your ugly thoughts on daily.

• Angela says:

I guess it really is just too difficult for some people to just do something as simple and easy as, you know, ignore articles about people they’re not interested in.
      Anyway, lovely statement from Sarah. Her affection for him shines through, and I’m glad that she has some wonderful memories of him to hang on to. My condolences to her on losing a beloved co-worker and friend.

• OlivaK says:

Bitter, petty, small person much? How sad that instead of being respectful to the loss of a great star, your contribution is a petulant, bratty remark that shows your lack of human compassion–job well done.

• Ray says:

First off a publicity whores look more like Bieber and Cyrus. Second, her husband’s father committed suicide so I think she would find a better way to get attention. Third, she waited a full day of mourning to post a statement.

• Temperance says:

Broken much? You might want some therapy for that Liz.

4. Ginger says:

It was one of the bet shows of 2013. So grateful to have watched it live. The outtakes after each episode are to be treasured. And anyone who knows anything know that the Serenity Prayer is used and grasped by those with the disease of addiction and depression. Shame on anyone who puts down this man and his friends in this time of loss.

5. Lisa says:

Such a classy lady. Id admire her alot. So sad for robin williams. Depression is no joke

6. Ali Sr says:

Namaste – 😇🙏

7. Joey Padron says:

Nice memories Sarah had with Robin. Glad they get to know each well off screen as they did on on screen. The Crazy Ones was a good show. Outtakes and bloopers at end each episode.

8. Peter Wall says:

loved LOVED this show :( childhood hero , cant get over this , beautiful tribute by sarah , r.i.p robin x

9. Beautiful statement. I can’t pretend The Crazy Ones was a perfect show, but the father/daughter relationship those two depicted on screen was one of the strongest components and it’s clear that affection bled over into real life.

10. jim says:

I am heartbroken along with everyone else. A great loss has stricken us all. Just when we need some comic relief in this screwed up world the man who bought it to us has passed. To all his co-stars I send my condolences, to his family may God keep you in his arms. Jonathan and Robin together again for their greatest performance, Rest in Peace Robin and thank you for many years of laughter and tears.

11. James D says:

What a kind and genuine statement mad props to SMG all that were touched by him are devistated she must be a 100 times more so after being close to him and working with him recently. Class Act. Such a loss but as the saying goes we must remember him for who he was not how he died and the Crazy Ones was a grand testiment to that.

12. Paul says:

I would like to know how you justify the attack on Sarah Michelle Gellar? That post should be pulled.

13. frustratedwithbadtvshows says:

So sad to hear about Robin Williams passing. Wonderful to read that the close bond SMG shared onscreen with Robin Williams followed them off screen as well. Beautiful sentiments from a classy lady!

14. Jessica Valure says:

Hey was a great actor and will be missed. How can you talk about Sarah like that how dare you she is an awesome person. She wasn’t making that statement for publicity its such a sad loss for everyone and there is no need for negative comments about anybody. She was just expressing her sadness for the loss of a great actor.

15. He will be missed greatly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. njartist says:

I cannot begin to even imagine what torment Robin Williams was going through .
    I am very saddened by his passing. Of course I did not know him but he came
    across as a kind decent soul. SMG comments are heartfelt-she is a class act.
    To Robin William’s family my deepest condolences. To Robin -you made our world
    a better place-you made us laugh and think. You will be missed by many and
    will be forgotten by none.

17. MURIEL says:

Robbins Williams was a great actor and will be truly missed. I loved he in the T.V.Series More and Mindy and in the movies Patch Adams and Mrs. Doubtfire.

18. Sharyn S. says:

So sorry for your loss as well as the cast. Also sorry to hear the show was cancelled. This is a real tragedy for all of us. He was such a wonderful entertainer

19. Mr. Williams was not much older than me, I had the honor to watch him from Happy Days to Good will Hunting, I am from Boston. A comic genius, he would liven up a room, just with his prescence. To look at him, you could help but smile because that is all he did; when was the last time you did not see him with a smile on his face. A time in our lives has gone away; Peter Pan, fly don’t look back, you will always be in our hearts