Chasing Life's Italia Ricci Previews 'Life or Death' Cliffhanger in 'Vicious' Finale

Chasing Life Finale

April checks into chemo on Tuesday’s Chasing Life summer finale (ABC Family, 9/8c), but just because she’s been preparing for this moment all season, that doesn’t mean she’s prepared. “You’ll see her fall apart physically, emotionally and even psychologically,” star Italia Ricci warns TVLine.”

RELATED Chasing Life‘s Haley Ramm on Brenna’s Big Change and Future With [Spoiler]

“She thinks she knows what to expect, and she thinks she’s surrounded herself with the people and the knowledge she needs to get through this — but she is wrong,” Ricci adds. “She starts to realize that she’s a little bit less tough than she thought. It’s a real upper, this finale.”

Below, Ricci previews what else the finale has in store for April, including a “bittersweet” reunion with Dominic and a “life or death” cliffhanger. Boom.

TVLINE | I’m glad Dominic finally knows April is sick. Will they get to discuss that in the finale?
Yes, and it’s bittersweet. He wants to be there for her, but as she explains everything to him, he realizes how long she’s been keeping this a secret. A lot has been going on without him knowing, so he has to deal with that. And April also realizes she made a mistake by making him, essentially, one of the last people to find out.

TVLINE | And then there’s Leo. Should we expect this love triangle to come to a head?
Yes and no. It’s sort of beyond April’s control what happens in the finale. The triangle gets viciously torn.

webberTVLINE | How do you feel about the weirdness between April’s mom and uncle?
[Laughs] If by “the weirdness,” you mean that big ol’ smooch, I was really weirded out when I first read it. I was like, “No! Come on, guys!” But they talk about it in the finale, and hearing that conversation makes it feel a little better. George is going to be a big part of the family in the second half of the season.

TVLINE | I understand we also might be seeing some familiar faces?
Oh, yes. We might see dad, we might see Carrot Dude and we might see Jackson.

TVLINE | And this being a finale, can we expect a major cliffhanger?
Absolutely. It’s life or death.

What do you hope to see on tonight’s Chasing Life finale? Drop a comment with your thoughts below, then check back immediately after the episode for our answer-filled Q&A with executive producer Patrick Sean Smith.

1. Tricia says:

I’ve found myself being slightly obsessed with this show. I worry about my well being after this finale.

2. KC says:

This show is way too depressing to watch – sorry.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I was skeptical going into this show but I’ve been enjoying it. Although I could care less about her sister and her mother. Grandma is a hoot, lol.

4. Nessie says:

I love this show so much! I wasn’t going to watch because I thought it would be too depressing, but once I found out Scott Michael Foster was in it, I had to see it. And it’s so good. While it has it’s sad moments (as does any good TV show) it’s also way less depressing then I thought it would be.

I hate that it’s going on break I want to just keep watching!

5. My2cents says:

I just want to know when it’s coming back??? I LOVE this show!!!

6. Ally Oop says:

Fantastic show, best new show of the summer. It better be back. Of the 20 new fall shows I checked out on tv this summer, there’s been 3 keepers: Chasing Life, Finding Carter and Outlander. If any get cancelled I will be angry. I also like Young & Hungry but it’s a comedy and those I never get attached to so a cancellation would be ok.

7. Leslie says:

Can’t wait! Big medical stuff like this both terrifies me and fascinates me (So much so that I gave pre-med a shot in college. But chem and bio kicked my butt!), so this is the part of April’s story I’ve really been excited to get to. I’m hoping we get to really delve into the medical part along with everything else going forward.

And a life-or-death cliffhanger, huh? Well, we know April makes it through at least a Christmas episode and 10 more regular episodes, which I believe have already been shot and that they plan to air. But not too long ago, Italia Ricci said that she thought she knew April’s ultimate fate at one point, but now she’s not sure. So could this be the resolution to the whole Leo thing? Or is it April’s life hanging in the balance, and we just have a general idea of what happens based on the show’s scheduled run, but not how it gets resolved? Hmmm…

8. Eny Kiss says:

i love this show so much.it i bittersweet,that is the best adjective that characterizes it. i love every single character: Brenna,Leo,April,Beth ,Greer are my favorites.