Robin Williams: Pam Dawber, 'Aladdin' and Others Remember the Late Great

Robin Williams Dead Suicide

Just minutes after news broke of Robin Williams’ tragic passing, the veteran actor’s former co-stars and admirers came forth with their memories of the late comedian, either via Twitter or statements.

RELATED Sarah Michelle Gellar Pays Tribute to Robin Williams, Calls Him ‘the Father I Had Always Dreamed of Having’

One of the first, and most heartbreaking, responses came from Scott Weinger, who voiced Aladdin opposite Williams’ Genie in Disney’s 1992 classic:

Pam Dawber, who played Mindy to Williams’ Mork on ABC’s Happy Days off-shoot and this past April guest-starred opposite her former scene partner on CBS’ The Crazy Ones, put her initial reaction quite plainly: “I am completely and totally devastated. What more can be said?!”

Williams’ more recent leading lady, TV daughter Sarah Michelle Gellar, remembered their time together with a photo montage:

Another Crazy Ones colleague, James Wolk, also remembered Williams by posting a photo:

Williams’ other co-stars, from both movies and television, also offered up their thoughts:

And even those who never worked with him still consider Williams to be an incredible source of inspiration — including President Barack Obama:

X

More to come…

Readers, how will you remember Robin Williams? Drop a comment with your favorite role or memory below.

1. manfredw says:

Too many good movies to mention really. Dead Poets Society, Goodmorning Vietnam, Patch, Good Will Hunting. And let’s not forget Mrs. Doubtfire, the movie with the unhappy ending because it happens in real life too and not give children false hope. Amazing! I loved all of them.

• Sasha says:

ALL of these. Loved them all. Hook and Aladdin <3

• Angela says:

I lost count of how many times I watched ‘Aladdin’ as a kid-I’m surprised I didn’t wear out the VHS tape! The Genie was always my favorite character. Still my favorite Disney film to this day.

• Ben says:

Still my favourite Disney character to this day.

I guess I never really thought about it, but Robin Williams must have been my favourite actor as a child – and probably still is to this day. The world was blessed by his talent.

• Angela says:

He was definitely mine, too. My whole household were fans-I’d watch “Mork and Mindy” reruns on TV, and saw a bunch of films and some stand-ups of his as well. I even remember seeing a little of the Comic Relief things here and there when I was young. Ridiculously talented man, and funny as hell. This world’s been robbed.

• Sasha says:

Same here, looking back he was definitely one of my favourite actors!

• Alex says:

Mrs. Doubtfire didn’t have an unhappy ending! Far from it. One of his better roles to be sure, though. I may have liked him best (in a serious role) in Good Will Hunting, and (in a comic role) in Mrs. Doubtfire.

2. Sasha says:

Its so sad!

3. Heather says:

Absolutely, positively shocked. He was such a source of inspiration & laughter for generations.

4. E says:

My parents and I used to watch his HBO specials back in the 70s and 80s. I used to know all his routines by heart…

5. MattArmando says:

Him winning his first Oscar in 1997; everyone appeared so happy he finally had won.
    His speech was hilarious & so ‘him’, with one of my favorite lines: “And thank you, Ben & Matt, I still want to see some ID!” LOL.

6. meg says:

I grew up watching him. I wore out my Aladdin and Good Morning Vietnam VHS tapes watching and loving him. NanuNanu :(

7. Karyn says:

FYI TVLine, that’s not Ellen’s official Twitter account

8. Mare says:

He was a part of my childhood. I use to watch Mork&Mindy with my mom. He made rainbow suspenders cool. I will really miss him and the way he made me laugh. It’s all the more devestating to know wilhe he was making me smile, he was crying out inside. RIP Robin. You will be missed.

9. Angela says:

Welp, Scott’s tweet got me all teary-eyed.

Well said, everyone. I still can’t believe this.

10. Walter Prager says:

As much as I loved hi, in Aladdin, the serious roles were the best. Dead Poets Society (Oh Captain, My Captain), The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting, Moscow on the Hudson (I defect), Good Morning Vietnam, Awakenings. So sad.

11. Frank P. says:

A personal note on Robin Williams: I met him when I was a Comedy Store piano player in the late 70’s/early 80’s (and also when he was part of a small improv group called “Off The Wall” before that). What a sweet, gentle and shy man offstage. As for on stage, I can honestly say that his acts at the Comedy Store were ALWAYS hands-down the biggest crowd-pleaser, always getting the biggest laughs, the highest energy, and frequent standing ovations. What an amazing talent he was, and the world is a lesser place without him. This one really hurts a lot.

12. Kay says:

So sad, he always brought a smile to my face and then the laughter! Will be missing Mork from Ork, Peter Pan and our Mrs. Doubtfire! Sending prayers to the family.

13. Donnie Lynch says:

Saw Mr. Williams when he just started, he was at small comedy club in Orange County Calif., and he was so funny. My husband and I said that he would go far, and then we saw him on Mork and Mindy and remembered seeing him in the small comedy club. Prayers for him and his family.

14. PJnGa says:

Just so shocked! He was such an incredibly talented and funny, funny man! One of very few who actually make me laugh! The World According To Garp…. My personal favorite. He sure took me from one to every other emotional extreme. My bff and I were watching him Sat night.. RV … We spent most of the day in ER… tired, hungry and definitely in need of a laugh. Must have been a premonition that the power went out just before the end…. Robin… We will miss your end… Gone way too soon….

15. Angela says:

I’m sure many many people feel the same, but when I was depressed, Robin and other favorites cheered me up with laughter and great spirit. He was inspiring and it’s just a terrible loss to us all. R.I.P.

16. Pat says:

I was deeply sadden to hear this about Robin. Depression is a terrible thing for a person to go through and I had read some time ago, that he had been battling this along with his sobriety. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and for Robin May You Rest In Peace.

17. rachelle says:

Wow. Just woke up from a nap and got hit with this news. Now, I can’t stop crying. How sudden and unexpected.

18. Carolee Nakamura says:

Good bye my friend. I will always love and cherish your precious memories. May Mrs. DOUBTFUL rest in peace. Love you

19. I have loved Robin since I first saw him on TV’s Mork and Mindy. I also loved listening to his stand-up on my old 8 track. And of course his many movies. He ALWAYS put a smile on my face!! He will be missed!! #RIPRobinWilliams

20. jh says:

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to watch Dead Poets Society again. Too many tears.

21. Eliza says:

I love all of the movies other posters have been listing. Such a great body of work Robin gave us.
    I also loved him as “Popeye” and watched that along with Hook, Aladdin & Mrs. Doubtfire nonstop as a kid!

22. Sara says:

My father doesn’t watch a lot of TV, but I have a fond memory of all of us watching Mrs Doubtfire together. Robin Williams was a big part of my childhood & I always imagine watching his movies with my kids

• Angela says:

He made some great family-friendly films. It was so obvious he loved children, and he didn’t dumb things down for them in the films geared towards them.

23. Barbara Lang says:

I think I had watched every film that Robin ever made and even in serious roles he tugged at my heart although I didn’t know him personally I grieve for him and his family now.

24. JaKe421 says:

The times Robin Williams made me laugh are to numerous to count but I will remember him best as the psychiatrist in Good Will Hunting. He made me cry more than once in that role. Such a tremendous talent gone much too soon!

25. DEE says:

One of the most gifted entertainer, Robin RIP from one of your adoring Fan

26. webly3 says:

I was so shocked by this news that I literally had to look up for 15 minutes to find out that it wasn’t some dumb death hoax. I’m so upset right now by his death. He was a phenomenal actor and a true legend. < /3

27. Jenna says:

Very shocked and saddened by this news. Loved him since Mork & Mindy. He will truly be missed. RIP Robin Williams.

28. jalahyacinth says:

My first memory? That stupid sketch from Sesame Street where he taught how to tell if something was alive by watering and trying to feed his shoes. That has ALWAYS stuck with me.

29. Lexi says:

RIP dear soul. I always loved the movie JACK. Thought this was you being you.

30. PatM says:

When I fist saw the news, I was positive it was some stupid Internet hoax. Sadly, it was not. Robin Williams has always been a personal favorite of mine, his lightening fast responses showed the remarkable brilliance of his comedic mind. His equal was the legendary Jonathan Winters. No matter how funny a person is, sometimes, a darkness is inside. My heart goes out to his family and wife–what a tragic loss for them and the world. R.I.P.

31. James D says:

I have seen every frame of film he has been on or voiced, I could not begin to pick my favorite. I will hold all the memories I have of me and my family watching him over the years. pure genius. so very sad that he is gone.

32. linda tibbets says:

he made me laugh out loud in my house with no one else there.

33. Jody Graham says:

Saw him on the Dick Cavet show years ago. During the interview they talked about his Shakespeare training. One thing led to another and they decided to improvise a scene that was Shakespearean sounding. If anyone had tuned in late they would have thought they were really doing a scene from a Shakespeare play. Until that interview I thought he was just the Mork kind of character. After hearing that skit, my opinion of him changed from “just a comic” to one of profound respect. I realized what a genius he was. I became a fan.

We lost a national treasure today. He will not be forgotten and he will be dearly missed.

34. James says:

No comments from Les Moonves or Nina Tassler? Interesting.

35. juliebug04 says:

I’m still so stunned… The death of Robin Williams would be tragic enough without wondering why a man that provided light to so many could not find enough light of his own. It’s truly heartbreaking. He was an amazing, versatile, and utterly one-of-a-kind actor. He could become anyone and he was believable every time. I hope that he found the peace he was lacking in this life, and that his loved ones find peace of their own in this most difficult time.

• RUCookie says:

Exactly! You, me and too many others are left wondering how someone who brought so much joy, love and light to others was stuck in such a drark tragic place. Depression is real and it is scary. And this mental illness took, from the world, a true comic genius. RIP Robin. You were loved. May you find the peace you were desperately searching for…

36. jojo says:

Rip Robin you will be missed by all

“Na no Na no”

37. never a celebrity disease hit me like this one. This is so sad. You don’t get to know famous people, you just have an idea of how they are in real life, and i always thought Robin was like the best person ever. Hope he’s resting in peace now, he made a lot of people happy watching his movies.
    Hollywood will miss this big star.

38. Robin Williams magic was his humaneness and ability to express a part of us that most hide. He’s the father, grandfather, brother, best friend and husband everyone of us wanted to call our own. Smile, Robin, for you are the spirit who gave us all a reason to embrace life with passion and laughter. You have been immortalized through your films and will continue to inspire future comedians as well.

39. Deborah Kaplan says:

Robin Williams was a wonderful actor. I had seen him in Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam,
    Hook, Popeye and The Bicentennial Man. Also, I had watched Mork & Mindy back in the 1970’s.
    He was so funny. I laughed every time I watched the show each week. I hope he rests in peace.

40. Dear Sweet Prince – I suffer from severe depression, and to hear of our loss is devastating. I can only imagine the demons you were battling. People say suicide is selfish, but when you feel like you are fighting against the current of life, sometimes it becomes too much to bear. People suffering from depression are sometimes too ill to seek treatment. Depression is so insidious, and is as real as any other illness. I’m so angry that this disease has claimed another life. Rest in peace dear Robin. Your valiant fight against the current is over, and you have become an angel to watch over us all. The world will never forget you, and you will always hold a special place in my broken heart. – Devastated

41. joncuriel says:

Ashley Tisdale’s latest tv gig was with him on The Crazy Ones and she also tweeted about it

42. WonderWaage says:

How about getting the tweet from the real Ellen account?

43. Deborah Griffin says:

The death of Robin Williams is devastating. I feel like he was a close, personal friend. His “The Dead Poets’ Society” was brilliant. He could out-talk and out-joke anybody in the world. Everything he did was brilliant. Godspeed, Robin. This is the day that “the laughter died.”

• linda tibbets says:

oh Deborah he wouldn’t like that at all. the laughter can’t die. it just won’t be as special.

i am heartbroken, he is the only celebrity who could do it, but we have to enjoy the time he was here . if there’s cell phone reception up there he’ll find a way to finish up his
      ” two jews walk into a bar” joke

44. It has just been reaffirmed for me, that there is a minute, fine line between humor and deep depression. Thank you Robin for the laughs you did share with us, just wish you could have found peace in life. You have left a lasting impression on me

45. ian bogden says:

robin williams ,detroit has cried the tears of your passing our freeways are unpassable, michigan will miss you,but never forget our favorite son!

46. Coralie Bornais says:

My favourite movie of Robin’s was Patch Adams … Though his serious movies were utterly astounding as well – Dead Poet’s Society, Good Will Hunting. He was a great great human being and it’s oh so difficult to accept that he’s gone. There was just no one like him and there never will be.

47. yaya says:

I’m not a movie star or anyone famous my heart aches for all who were the closest to him…what a loss for the entertainment industry..I wish I could of been a voice on his shoulder to let him know he helped us forget our troubles with his humor and I would have listened to his troubles and tried too help him back..make god laugh i will miss what was yet to come from you…..

48. I grew up watching Mork & Mindy, from the very beginning I was a fan. Fast Forward to years later and on the other side of the country, I have the wonderful pleasure of meeting Robin. I’m not famous but he was so kind and unbelievably funny. He was as funny as I had always imagined him to be and ALWAYS “on”. Hours later he took the time to indulge my tale about what Mrs. Doubtfire meant to my son and I when I was going through a hard breakup with his dad, I will always treasure the picture he agreed to take with me and the time he took to talk to me. I never knew the pain hiding behind the smile. Having battled depression myself, I know the private world of darkness so easy to slip into. RIP Robin…you will be missed!

49. Tammy says:

I just wanted to send my condolences, prayers / thoughts to Mr. Williams family and friends. I know what it is to deal with severe depression, anxiety & bipolar everyday…. even though you’re hurting inside you want to make everyone else happy and make them smile even if it’s only for a while. You were a Great man who lit everyone’s world up just by your smile and I want to say ” Thank You ” …….. You will be missed dearly !!!

50. Belated heartfelt sorrow goes out to the Robin Williams Family! He will be truly missed! I was a great fan of Mork and Mindy. Best comic actor I have seen. He made you laugh no matter what mood you were in.