Robin Williams Dead at 63 in Suspected Suicide

robin-williams-dies

Emmy- and Oscar-winning actor Robin Williams was found dead on Monday at age 63, the result of a suspected suicide.

UPDATE: The actor, who most recently appeared in CBS’ one-season comedy The Crazy Ones and had checked into rehab on July 1, was found in his bedroom, having hanged himself hours earlier with a belt, the Marin County Sheriff reports. He also exhibited cuts on his wrist, with a pocket knife nearby.

The initial report from the Marin County coroner’s office listed the suspected cause of death as suicide via asphyxiation, although “a comprehensive investigation” — including a toxicology report and interviews with witnesses — “must be completed before a final determination is made.”

RELATED Robin Williams Remembered: Stars Mourn the Actor’s Loss on Twitter

“Robin Williams passed away [Monday] morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss,” noted a Williams family spokesperson. “The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Variety quoted a statement from Williams’ wife, Susan Schneider, as follows: “I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

Williams rose to fame playing the titular alien Mork for four seasons on Mork & Mindy, earning an Emmy nod as Lead Actor in a Comedy Series in 1979. He would go on to garner eight additional nominations, winning twice for Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program — for 1987′s Carol, Carl, Whoopi and Robin and 1988′s ABC Presents: A Royal Gala.

RELATED Sarah Michelle Gellar Pays Tribute to Robin Williams, Calls Him ‘the Father I Had Always Dreamed of Having’

Williams transitioned to a wide-ranging big-screen career starting with the title roles in Popeye and The World According to Garp, eventually earning four Academy Award nominations for Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King and Good Will Hunting, taking home the Best Supporting Actor statuette for the last of those films in 1998.

The actor also won five Golden Globe awards — including a Best Actor in a Comedy prize for Mork & Mindy — and earned the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s Cecil B. DeMille Award in 2005. In addition to his wife, he is survived by three children.

Check out YouTube clips below of Williams’ work in Mork & Mindy and The Crazy Ones — plus his first appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

1. sherry says:

i have known many people young and old that have had severe depression and there lives ended to short robin is another example of how depression can take over a persons life. thoughts and prayers to his dearest friends and family he will be missed he was a wonderful actor

2. A great loss he will be missed by all.

3. Frank P. says:

A personal note on Robin Williams: I met him when I was a Comedy Store piano player in the late 70′s/early 80′s (and also when he was part of a small improv group called “Off The Wall” before that). What a sweet, gentle and shy man offstage. As for on stage, I can honestly say that his acts at the Comedy Store were ALWAYS hands-down the biggest crowd-pleaser, always getting the biggest laughs, the highest energy, and frequent standing ovations. What an amazing talent he was, and the world is a lesser place without him. This one really hurts a lot.

4. Ali Sr says:

RIP Robin Williams … You have lived many lifetimes in one – no wonder you were so tired! You gave us ALL of you – ThkU. In my heart and prayers – Always.

5. vp44 says:

He was most likely depressed after CBS cancelled his show that I don’t understand why? it was very funny and should have gone on ;longer, they did’nt give it a chance. This is so sad and he will be missed. Thanks, CBS!!!!

6. taahimar says:

Why is that the good, talented ones go prematurely, and sadly in a tragic way. My heart goes out to his family and friends. RI P Mr Williams.

7. So sad…he must have been laughing on the outside. and crying on the inside…depression is a terrible sickness !

8. Rebecca Decker says:

Not many people I feel compelled to say something about but Robin Williams, I have loved since his Mork & Mindy days, I watched “The Crazy Ones” BECAUSE of him…He was one amazing actor and words can’t describe what a loss this is….

9. canadian ninja says:

What the hell.

10. Joey Padron says:

So shocked and sad. Grew up on his movies. He was always one of my favorites. He will be missed a lot. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. RIP

11. Leroy says:

Unbelievable! He has touched a million ppl and always made u laugh! He will greatly be missed! As a kid I watched Mork n Mindy all da time. Great movie Mrs. Doubtfire! RIP ROBIN WILLIAMS!

12. Sadly Depression doesnt discriminate. No matter how rich,beautiful,smart ,etc. It can affect anyone. Wish he could have gotten help before he felt so hopeless. We lost a great comedian who could make the world laugh yet struggled with his own life happiness. Prayers to all his family and friends. Rest in peace Robin.

13. Pedro says:

CBS shouldn’t have cancelled The Crazy Ones.

14. James D says:

I am utterly speechless right now I, like many others, grew up in awe of Robin Williams from Alladdin to Mrs. Doubtfire, to watching his stand up specials with my dad, and later admiring his acting prowess in Goodwill Hunting and countless others. He was a true genius in every sense of the word. I will miss him dearly. RIP Mr. Williams and from the bottom of my heart thank you for brining me so much joy throughout my life.

15. Elaine_:-( says:

It breaks my heart to hear he committed suicide. There is nothing that can make a human being feel more alone in this world than depression. It kills me inside that he was in so much pain that he chose to end his own life. It’s a tragedy beyond words for one of the sweetest, kindest and funniest people ever. :-(

16. jop1949 says:

I’m totally shocked, hearing of his death and will miss him. I was very emotionel and a big “fan” after “Picture perfect” and even more after his role in “What dreams may come”. I hope you will rest in peace Mr. Williams (A Dutch fan)

17. Mary says:

I also love him so much and am devastated. According to wikipedia, the anniversary of his brother’s passing is in a few days. Maybe everything became too much at once. I will be praying for him and his family.

18. Julie DiBiase says:

I’m heartbroken for his family. He will always be an icon for his genius comedy and acting. May he be at peace finally from the pain he seemed to have suffered. Anyone who reads this. Please call crisis service/ suicide prevention if you are severely depressed. Please don’t take your own life. There’s a whole beautiful world out there. Rip Robin! God bless you.

19. retsim says:

Such a loss to his family and the world is a poorer place.