Outlander Series Premiere Recap: Kilt Switch

Outlander Series Premiere Recap

Let’s start this recap of Starz’s new drama Outlander with a Loch Ness-size disclaimer: I have been a fan of Diana Gabaldon’s sci-fi/romance/historical fiction novels since a friend introduced me to them in college. I love them with abandon. I have reread them more than once. When I was pregnant and thought I was having a boy, I seriously considered naming that boy James so I could call him Jamie.

Yep, I enjoy the Gabaldonverse that much. So while I can promise you I will watch Starz’s adaptation of her books with a critical eye, I also feel it’s important for you to know that I will be kvelling while doing so — and I dinna think that will change anytime soon.

In a few minutes, I want to hear what you thought of the series premiere, “Sassenach.” But first, let’s review the major developments of Outlander‘s first hour.

RELATED Outlander Cast, EP Ron Moore Lift the Kilt on Starz’s Time-Travel Drama

HIGH LIFE IN THE HIGHLANDS | “People disappear all the time,” a woman informs us via voiceover, and it’s not long before we meet that woman: Claire Randall, a willowy, Justine Bateman-esque combat nurse who’s back in civilian life after the end of World War II. In flashback, we watch a blood-soaked Claire work on a soldier’s very nasty leg wound moments before she learns that the fighting has come to an end in Europe.

Back in the present – that is, 1945 – Claire and her husband Frank arrive in a small Scottish town for their second honeymoon; though they wed before the war, her work as a nurse and his as some kind of military covert ops agent meant they’ve only seen each other a total of 10 days in five years. (Side note: That might’ve been 10 days too many for me – I kid! But seriously, Frank is so boring. I appreciate that executive producer Ron Moore & Co. want us to be invested in the Randalls’ marriage, and Tobias Menzies is a great find for the part, but good GOD je suis prest to get to the 1700s, know what I mean?)

The Randalls’ stay in town can be summed up as: learning about local superstition, pretend babymaking on an ancient bed, actual babymaking (or trying, at least) on an ancient bed, genealogical research with a local pastor, stilted conversation about trolls and then – dirty! – Frank going on an, ahem, archaeological dig at Castle Leoch while Claire throws her head back in pleasure. (Side note: That didn’t happen in the books, if I recall correctly. And I would have. Because I am a teenage boy when it comes to these things.)

RELATED Outlander to Split First Season

CRAIGH NA DOOM | One morning before dawn, Claire and Frank drive up to watch a harmless pagan ritual take place at a Stonehendge-like circle of stones at Craigh na Dun. The Randalls hide in the shadows as local women dressed in robes and carrying torches dance to herald the sunrise; the custom has something to do with the upcoming Gaelic celebration of Samhain, which is right around Halloween. The sequence is beautifully shot, and Bear McCreary’s done a really nice job with the music for the show, especially here.

The Randalls return to town, but Claire wants to go back to Craigh na Dun to pick some flowers. Frank is going to do something dusty with Rev. Wakefield, so the Randalls make a plan to meet later. Remember how Claire told us that people disappear all the time? It’s coming.

Outlander Series Premiere RecapSEE YA, 20TH CENTURY | While picking flowers at the circle, Claire hears a buzzing, puts her palms against one of the stones and then the world goes black. (Side note: That’s it? Any other book readers a wee bit disappointed in Claire’s trip through time? I don’t need schlocky sci-fi effects, but I was looking forward to how the book would translate the highly detailed experience.) When she wakes up exactly where she passed out, she rushes out to find her car gone and some men dressed as British soldiers shooting up the woods nearby.

Claire runs away… and nearly runs into a man who looks just like her husband, except he’s also dressed as a Redcoat. He introduces himself as Jonathan Wolverton Randall, captain of the local dragoon squad – and Claire knows exactly who he is, having overheard Frank natter on about his ancestor during one of their afternoons at Rev. Wakefield’s. Unfortunately for Claire, Jack Randall is far less civilized than his progeny: He accuses Claire of being a whore and then tries to rape her.

He’s interrupted by a small man who knocks him out and then does the same to Claire when she tries to catch the British soldiers’ attention. When she comes to, she’s been brought to a small house where a group of men are gathered. Their leader is apparently the bald, bearded Dougal; Claire, totally wigged out, pulls herself together a bit when she realizes that one of the men has a dislocated shoulder that needs tending. And that’s when we get our first real look at James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser.

Quick casting note: I think Caitriona Balfe fits one way of seeing Claire; in my head, I always pictured someone more akin to a young Alex Kingston. But Sam Heughan certainly jives with my mental picture of Jamie, especially when he speaks. So as Claire manhandles Jamie’s arm back into its socket and they set out on the same horse, I’m all in.

RELATED Exclusive: Outlander Adds Borgias Actress

SINKING IN | There are some mishaps as the group rides – Dougal thinks Claire’s a British spy, Claire nearly escapes during a skirmish with some Redcoats but Jamie stops her from leaving – and then Jamie falls off his horse, bleeding heavily from a hidden gunshot wound. Claire demands that his friends get her a “sterile bandage and some clean cloth,” then looks incredibly irked that they have no clue what she’s talking about. Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ, Claire, figure it out: You have somehow traveled back in time to the 1700s.

By the end of the episode, Jamie has called Claire “Sassenach” for the first time – and it is every bit the warm caramel of an endearment that I hoped it would be – and the travelers arrive at Castle Leoch. That “Ye need not be scairt” scene from the trailer? Though it’s not in the first episode, dinna fash; it’s coming up soon.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the Outlander premiere? Those unfamiliar with the books: Did the episode capture your attention? Gabaldonians: Did it live up to your expectations? Grade the episode via the poll below, then hit the comments to give us all the details.

1. Jami1331 says:

Amazing recap. Love that someone is recapping it that is also a previous fan.

Can’t wait until next Saturday!!

2. CourtTV says:

I also thought the stone scene was weak. I understand Moore didn’t want science fiction but I was a bit disappointed. Overall, I’m pleased by its start. Starz promo’d it enough!

3. Margaery says:

I enjoyed it verra much.

4. AGRTaylor says:

Great recap – can’t wait for more!

When I first read the books, I thought Emma Thompson would be great, but love your idea of Alex Kingston.

There were a few moments that left me scratching my head, but overall I’m in love.

• TinLV says:

I think the casting is pretty good, actually. I’m wasn’t familiar with Catrionia Balfe, but she now has a new fan. And the casting of Jamie is perfect. Not really sure about Tobias Menzies.. I think he’ll be better as Black Jack than as Frank.

5. Suz says:

Ummm it wasn’t 1942 but 1945 or 1946 depending on the Oulander or Cross-Stitch timeline.

6. chloe says:

I was relieved by the stone scene. Clever and understated yet eerie with just the right amount of tension to keep you invested.

7. Lori says:

Saw it as a free preview and I loved it. I’m really disappointed we don’t get Starz, so I won’t be able to see the rest of the episodes.

8. Kat says:

Most shows, when I read reviews, don’t mention the music at all. Almost every show that Bear McCreary scores for, the reviews give at least a shout out. He’s just that good.

I could never get into the books, despite my mother’s efforts. It was a writing style issue, just not my type of prose. But the story always intrigued me, and I’m 100% the on and off screen talent working on this show. Bit of a slow start, but I think that was kind of necessary for this. It needed the set up. I’m looking forward to lots more Scotsmen in the coming weeks.

9. Dean says:

Is this a tv series or a mini series?

• Kat says:

TV series. 8 episodes air this fall, then a winter break, then 8 more in the spring. Chances for more seasons if it does well in the ratings.

10. TinLV says:

I have read the books and this first episode overall was very good. I sort of expected to be disappointed after waiting all these years for a movie or series to be made, but I wasn’t. I will be anxiously awaiting the next episode. I am curious about the reaction to this series by people who haven’t read the books.

11. viola says:

Really enjoyed it! One scene missing from the recap that was high on my list to see for 1st episode- Frank seeing Ghost!Jamie outside watching Claire brush her hair – and it lived up to giving me goosebumps. Great casting so far – and the look & music is spot on.

Also- who else hid their eyes while Claire was popping Jamie’s shoulder back in place?

• Alichat says:

I haven’t read the books, so I was wondering if that moment was in there or was artistic license by the show writers. I liked that scene…very eerie, and cinematically very well done.

12. Ginger says:

Her next encounter through the stones was worse, but didn’t put her in a coma. It out her in the hospital as she was/will be…

SPOILER
    pregnant. Distraught and disoriented but no coma.

13. rowan77 says:

Truth be told, as much as I enjoyed the beginning, it started to drag. It should not take 42 minutes of a 104 minute show to get to the point where she travels back in time. Far too much exposition to get us there. Once we hit minute 42, things really took off and got interesting. I liked the show, but gave it a B for the overly slow start.

• Temperance says:

It really, really dragged for me, and for a romance.. well, there was no romance. The chemistry with her husband was zippo, and there was a tremendous amount of pointless stumbling through the (pretty, but not pretty enough) woods. I don’t think this one is for me in any way – it was really very uninvolving.

• Heather says:

Claire and Jamie’s romance IS slow. They very much become friends before anything else and going by this episode, they’re going to take the time to show that. It pays off in the books, because you end up so much more invested in them as individuals before they come ‘Jamie and Claire’. And for me, seeing the lack of chemistry with Frank is ok. It makes it easier to understand the decisions she has yet to make.

• Millenia says:

The book dragged for the first 87 pages (when she meets Jamie) but you need that so you understand later. I always told everyone to just slog through it and I promise it gets better. I’ve never had anyone dispute me afterwards. I promise this will get better. It’s a slow and steady relationship and you will NOT be disappointed.

• Linda says:

When I bought the first book, Outlander many years ago and started reading it, I found it too slow. I put it away after reading the first couple of chapters. Then one day, I picked it up and gave it another go….forcing myself through the slow part and I’m so glad I did. Now I’m a huge fan and have read all the books so far!! I’m looking forward to seeing the series when it finally starts airing later in Canada – in about two weeks’ time.

• Linda says:

Give it another episode. It is a wonderful book!

• Cy says:

I gave it a C for the very same reason and I thought my sister-in-law might kill me for it.

14. JAO says:

Loved it!!! I’ve seen it 3x now and it gets better with each viewing. I love Sam and Caitriona. Jamie’s voice is incredible!

15. Lily Acosta says:

I’ve never read the Outlander books, but I just loved plot. The pilot looked amazing, I can hardly wait to next saturday and watch a new episode

16. GeoDiva says:

Never read the books, but really enjoyed the show.

17. What can I say, I am totally enthralled. I can only hope it continues to be as good as it was last night. Neither Claire nor Jaime looked like I thought they would in my mind but both are perfect. Instant love. I liked they fleshed out Frank and Claires marriage a bit. I think it adds to the story and the rest was just magical. Story, scenery, accents, music, can’t really think of anything i was unhappy with. I was actually not disappointed in the stones scene mainly because I think it could have been really silly looking and this allows you to keep it in your imagination .

18. Great recap!!! The pilot was amazing, one of the best of the summer. Gorgeous in every way.

19. liz says:

This is a series where I have not read the books. It will be a pleasant change to watch and then have others comment on the differences between the tv and the books. That being said, I enjoyed the first episode very much.

20. TVOnline says:

This was one BOOOORING show. Nothing sci fi about it beyond boring convos in wwII then boring convos in 1763. Won’t even put myself thru another episode.

• lechatnoir says:

its only the first episode , it was okay . It has a harlequeen feel to it and i hope it won’t stay that way . It should have been a miniseries , turning it into a 18-22 episodes series is a terrible mistake.It will be highly diluted thin and by the end of the season it will not make a doggone sense.

• CA says:

A miniseries?!! You do know that the book series is 8, count ‘em 8, books and all those books are more then 500 pages long! Besides, Ron Moore has already stated he plans on following the books pretty much as written. Of course, you can always just stop watching it and then you won’t have to worry about being disappointed.

21. jenslouise says:

I loved it. Huge fan of the novels thus far (I’m about halfway through) and that first episode may my expectations, and then some. I did think it started to drag a bit, but my husband, poor soul who has listened to me flail over the books but never read them, thought it was a good set up, not overly long.

I kind of love how it reminds me of Battlestar Galactica. Big fan of that as well, and I think Ron Moore’s style is perfect for Outlander. I like all the casting, specifically Jamie because oh my. My my my. I like the actor playing Roger/Blackjack, I find Roger quite likeable, in a nice way. I find Jamie likeable in a sort of oh-god-my-ovaries way. (I’m failing on the actor’s names right now, forgive me. By this time next week I’ll likely have them memorized from searching then obsessively on the tumblr.)

I appreciated the toned down nature of her falling through time, I feel like those sort of scenes, with so much vivid detail and expectation from fans, usually comes off better with more left to the imagination. My favorite scene though, other than when Claire meets Jamie, was when Roger sees the ghost looking up at the window. To be honest, I’d forgotten about it, and when I saw it, I got chills remembering it.

• Carly says:

Oops! You mean Frank, not Roger. Since you’re halfway way through the reading the series, you must have him on your mind. Hopefully we’ll see Wee Roger later this season and adult Roger if there’s a season two. Love Roger Mac!

• jenslouise says:

Yes! I keep getting them confused, and I just don’t know why. LOL, some sort of Freudian slip? Who knows. Maybe I’m just so wrapped up in all things Jamie that I can’t think straight? ;) (And thank you for being kind in your comment, all too often people get kinda mean over little things on other sites. What a refreshing change!)

• Carly says:

You’re welcome! Comment boards can be such nasty places, and I’d love for Outlander fans to not get a bad reputation. I’m so very jealous that you’re getting the experience of reading the series for the first time. Slainte mhath!

• Jean says:

You keep saying Roger. Are you talking about Frank?

22. Lucky says:

I loved it!!!! Am also a huge fan of the books, having reread them all several times. Casting is great, thought the first episode was nearly perfect. Loved how before Claire travelled back, Scotland seemed very grey with only accents of color. Once she went back, wow color explosion! So happy it is this well done! Looking very forward to the rest of the season. Only nitpick, where was young Roger at Rev. Wakefield’s house???

• JP says:

Thank you!! I missed Roger too but this is the first mention I’ve seen.

• sm says:

Spoiler Alert:

It has been said that he will appear in a flashback (flashforward?) in a later episode.

• Jennifer says:

Did she meet Roger before she went through the stones? I thought she met him later. After all he and Bri are close in age. I’d have to get out the first book and flip through it though to know for sure.

• Sue V says:

In the books, Claire “met” Roger as a young boy (about 5 years old) at the Reverend Wakefield’s house. Roger was orphaned during WW2 and the Reverend was his maternal grand-uncle, so the Reverend adopted him. The meeting wasn’t anything overly dramatic, just that as Claire went to sit down in the Reverend’s parlor, she found the chair occupied by a napping Roger. He wakes up and the Reverend speaks lovingly to him, gently urging Roger to go see the housekeeper for a bite to eat. The Reverend explains how he came to have Roger living with him and then he and Frank delve into the research on Frank’s ancestor. Claire remembers Roger vividly for his green eyes and how, seeing as there are a number of English children orphaned by the war, she muses that maybe she and Frank could adopt one of those children, especially if they were having problems with getting pregnant.

23. Pati says:

I love the books I’m obsessed I loved the show I couldn’t wait for her to get to the 1700s I can’t wait for next week. The cast is perfect and when Claire gave Jamie her hand to help him get up I melted

24. Maryann says:

I tried very hard to get into the books some years ago, but the writing style / writer’s voice just had no life to it. It was a chore to get from one page to the next, although I loved what I had heard of the concept and characters. But I absolutely loved the first episode of the series, and I am in for the duration.

• jenferner8 says:

I had similar problem with book, only in my case it was the endless descriptions of everything, I know what a tree looks like. Like you, I loved this first episode, and am looking forward to more.

• Hbomb says:

It’s really worth sticking with the books – she gets MUCH BETTER as a writer. This last book was really wonderful.

25. Maryann says:

Looks like my original comment got lost so I will try to recap. Some years ago I tried to get into the books, but I just couldn’t. They were too dry and a chore to get from one page to the next. On the other hand, I found the series’s first episode very compelling, and if it stays this good, I have found a new favorite.

26. Maryann says:

Can someone please explain the significance of Frank seeing the ghost, without giving away major spoilers? Is it a foreshadowing of some kind? Will we find out later on what it means?

• LaBete says:

As far as I can tell the ghost is a foreshadowing of Claire’s relationship with Jamie. The author has said that she will explain the ghost at the end of the final book, so I guess we’re all on the hook until then! I can tell you the ghost scene in the first book has kept me worrying about Jamie in every book so far, afraid he was going to die and become that ghost!

• CA says:

It does have meaning as does the girl who comes back to the stones after the ceremony. But it’s worth waiting for so I won’t spoil.

27. Rick Katze says:

I saw the first episode since Starz was having a preview weekend. Liked it very much. Tempted to get STARZ but expect to watch them at a friend’s house for at least a few weeks to see if they can maintain the story.

Being picky, there seemed no surprise at the clothes that she was wearing. Definitely not what would have been in Scotland past. This did have a negative reaction for me. Whereas they got it right with germs, antiseptic, etc.

Other than that, not having read the books, I found the first episode to effectively create the structure of the story especially for people who have not read the books.

What I never expect to see would be Claire seeing her husband’s ancestor killed and doing nothing about it, or the ancestor killing Claire. Unless done at the conclusion of the series.

• Lorettta says:

Their curiosity about her clothing is explained later. They are too busy trying to get home and fighting off Redcoats at the moment. :) If I remember correctly from the books, they assume her 1940′s dress is some sort of “shift”, or nightgown. Book 2 also addresses the ramifications of Frank’s ancestor’s death.

28. cdemery says:

I have watched it 7 times… so I guess that says it all…. can’t wait for next week!

29. LaBete says:

Wow! That was a really great recap! I’m super happy that you are a fan of the books and think that will make for fun recaps to come. I have spent over a decade taking mental notes on which actors could be Claire or Jamie, although I really didn’t care about Frank (sorry, Frank!). I think the casting is great. I never pictured Claire as Alex Kingston, but I actually think Caitriona kind of looks like her, so I think the AK fans should be happy. I pictured Jamie with a longer, more aristocratic nose, but hey, I love Sam as Jamie, anyway! I’m also impressed with Tobias’ performance as boring Frank and sadistic Black Jack. Did I mention I really love Outlander? The best scene was when Jamie threatened to throw Claire over his shoulder. How did she manage to say no, when he asked? Everyone I know said, “Yes, Please!”

30. C G says:

Fantastic adaptation.
    Surprisingly, I really enjoyed seeing the Frank/Claire relationship; the book left me indifferent to them as a couple, but their connection was so much more tangible (and important) on screen.
    Awesome that so many non-readers are being sucked in!

31. Sandy Harrity says:

I feel Ms. Balfe is wrong for the part of Claire. In the books Claire has a womanly figure with honey colored curly hair. Jamie was always making comments about her arse. Ms. Balfe is just too thin and model like.

32. Kayline says:

I thought it was very well done, too much of the boring Frank/Claire relationship but I know they wanted me to “like” them together. Um, just no, they were boring. I’m in, really wanting to see how close they adapt this series to the books which are excellent….and Jamie, oh my!

33. Trenton says:

I just always wished frank wasn’t as sweet and nice. That they weren’t rekindling their love. I dislike infidelity. Though to be fair marriage vows make no mention of being thrown through time so possible loop hole.

34. e krivens says:

the actress playing claire is almost perfect, maybe a tad too old for someone who is suppose to be 27. the actor playing jamie? a tad too short, imho.

• Carla Krae says:

Sam is over 6 feet tall. If that’s short, you live in a world of giants!

• CA says:

I think he is something like 6’3 which is in line with Jaime’s descriptive height in the books. He is supposed to stand almost a full head taller then Claire, who should stand at around 5’6. She notes a few times in the book narrative that she is tall for the women of that time.

35. Jennifer says:

Justine Bateman?? Seriously? Try Cate Blanchett. Having not gotten through the books I was really glad to hear about this miniseries and I’ve not been disappointed. Once I got past seeing Tobias as I saw him in Persuasion it was easier to understand his historic ramblings knowing that they’d been important later on. I could have done without Frank’s “body cavity” search on Claire, and I shudder to think what that “room” was used for…I love Bear’s work on Walking Dead so it was great to “hear” him on this.

36. Sabrina says:

I loved the first episode and can’t wait for the rest of the season.

I’m glad that they took the time to show us what sort of marriage Claire & Frank have as this makes sense as to why she would want to return to her husband in the beginning.

The casting was really well done and the chemistry between both couples is good.

37. Oscar says:

I found it very slow paced. Not my cup of tea.

38. Totally “seduced.” Read the entire series (first four several times), and can’t wait for episode 2. Only question: how did Claire lose her belt? lol

• Lorettta says:

The belt thing bothered me for a moment. A continuity thing. But then I just said, “Who cares? Where’s Jamie?” :) The watch didn’t bother me since they didn’t show a glimpse of it after the fall, it must have fallen off, but you see the belt after the fall and then it is just gone. But they made a beautiful piece of “film” and so something like a belt isn’t going to hang me up :)

• sm says:

I just figured it broke when she fell down the hill.

39. KS says:

I really liked the 1945 part, I wasn’t bored at all. Am I the only one who sees a weird resemblance between Caitriona Balfe and Natalie Zea?

40. Cat says:

I loved it! It felt perfectly cast & I appreciated the time put in displaying Claire & Frank’s relationship. Can’t wait to see more Jamie!!

41. J says:

I loved it! I can’t wait for next Sunday!

42. marze513 says:

I personally LOVED IT! I have been a fan of the books since 1991, and the series, with SOME adaptations, is going to be ( according to Ron Moore) VERY faithful to the books. That being said….the first episode is ONLY THE FIRST 34 pages of the book ffs! The GOOD stuff hasn’t even started yet!!! So…to those of you who say “it’s not my cup of tea” ” looks boring” and the worst “harlequin” like..( Have you SEEN the books? Read the books?? there is NOTHING “harlequin” like at all!) …you haven’t given it a true chance…really. However, I understand that not everyone will like Outlander…and I’m ok with that……I just suggest you give it another couple episodes…cuz you’ll be glad you did!

43. I am soo impressed with Mr. Moore. It met all my expectations and then some!!!!

44. mountaineer says:

I have never read the books but I love period pieces and fell instantly in love after the pilot. I cannot wait to watch each week and I am going to start the books at the hiatus! I guess I’m the only one that liked her husband and felt bad for him..but I am sure I will fall completely in love with Jamie add time goes on! Did I mention I loved this? 😁

45. Rose Hoornbeek says:

enjoyed the first episode so much, I talked my husband into adding STARZ to our satellite package so I could watch it all. Just started reading the first book and am enjoying it as well. So far the show and book are very close with a few differences.

46. Mary P says:

I loved it. Although I missed not having the scene with a young Roger at Rev Wakefield’s in this epsiode. I have to say that the scene in Castle Leoch with Frank and Claire was the best difference from the book, so far. Looking forward to seeing more of Jamie now that Claire finally made it 1743.

This Claire is growing on me. I always pictured Claire with curlier hair, more like Alex Kingston or Melina Kanakaredes. Caltriona Balfe’s hair seems more wavy than curly to me. But hey, I can forgive that, since she has chemistry with Sam Heughan. Claire and Jamie having chemistry is way more important than some curls after all.

I was so looking forward to seeing the trip through the standing stones, but I think this was the most disappointing scene. Yes the car spinning/rolling over is how it is described in Outlander (I looked), but I just wanted more. Not exactly sure what was really missing except maybe sound with the blackness.

The voiceover is perfect and so is there being no subtitles with the Gaelic. This is Claire’s story after all and she doesn’t know Gaelic (and if you’re paying attention then you can infer what is being said). I hope Ronald D Moore stays true to this. It is one of the many things that I love about Outlander (the first person journey).

Can’t wait for Saturday and to see what Castle Leoch really looks like.

47. Shara says:

I’m not familiar with the books or the story, at least not previous to watching this first episode. Since I do not live under a rock, I had been seeing things around the internet about this show and decided to give it a try. I agree with Kimberly that it took foreverrrrrrrrr to get to the time travel portion but once she was in the 1700′s I was hooked. I also want to add that Sam as Jamie is sooooooooooo perfect. He’s a beautiful man and so far I am very drawn to his Jamie. Can’t wait for the next episode!

48. Dee says:

I really enjoyed reading Outlander and especially like the character Claire, but I just don’t feel the actress who is portraying her is doing a good job. I feel she just doesn’t have the depth or the humor of the character. I also can’t stand her droning on in the voiceover. I find her vapid.

49. Don W. says:

Love the fire in Caitriona’s eyes – just like Claire. Excellent casting. Love the books and the show.