Comic-Con

Wayward Pines' M. Night Shyamalan, Cast Talk Fox's Eerie New Event Series

Wayward Pines Spoilers

There may — or may not — be a twist at the end of this video interview with Wayward Pines‘ executive producer M. Night Shyamalan and the cast of his upcoming Fox event series.

After all, Shyamalan made a name for himself writing and directing gotcha! films like The Sixth Sense and Signs.

And the fact that his new cast — which includes Carla Gugino (Political Animals), Toby Jones (The Girl), Melissa Leo (The Fighter), Matt Dillon (There’s Something About Mary), Shannyn Sossamon (Mistresses) and Charlie Tahan (Law & Order: SVU) – likens the thriller to Twin Peaks and Twilight Zone indicates that the drama’s got secrets to spare.

RELATED Scoop: Terrence Howard Joins Fox’s Wayward Pines as Sheriff Pope

Still, Shyamalan promises to “tell a beautiful story from beginning to end with closure,” regardless of whether the 10-episode tale  is extended (a la Under the Dome).

“You will get answers to everything,” he tells Michael Ausiello in TVLine’s San Diego Comic-Con interview suite.

The story follows Dillon’s character, a Secret Service agent who comes to a deceptively bucolic Idaho town to search for two federal agents who’ve gone missing.

Press PLAY on the video below to see Shyamalan and the cast roll out the Wayward Pines welcome wagon.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

1. Cousin O'yaya says:

God dammit , This show has me so freaking nervous.I really liked the cast Carla is one of my most favorite actresses and all the other actors are really top notch and I liked the story and enjoyed the trailer. I really hope people don’t : see how similar it is to twin peaks and M.Night as showrunner and not watch it. god dammit am so nervous i want this to work out.

2. Ally Oop says:

I intend to watch the show because the trailer impressed me although I’m not into the fact that it’s only a miniseries.

3. Man I hope Shyamalan’s finally learned. There’s a lot of potential here but after basically everything after Unbreakable it’s hard not to be cynical.

4. Kal75 says:

“The series is slated to premiere later this year.” is this true? I hope so, but previously it was slated for early 2015 midseason.

5. Ray says:

Promo looked awful and with M. Night behind it? I’m out. Thanks for making it an easy decision.

6. Brigid says:

FINALLY information on this show! THIS is the show that I am so excited for. It looks amazing and I love the fact that they have a beginning and end to the story. Can’t wait!!

7. Brooke says:

I JUST read the first book in the trilogy this is based on. Based on that alone, I’m not very excited about it. It was not a very good book.

• Sara says:

I feel the same way. The book was awful, even though the premise sounds interesting. And especially with M. Night Shyamalan being involved…the big twist in the book seemed like something straight out of one of his movies so I can’t imagine the series being any better.

8. HAP says:

After an extremely promising start to his career, Shyamalan has been associated with garbage since 2002. The cast is amazing, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed, but…

9. Christian says:

Matt Dillon looks both bemused and perturbed throughout the length of this interview. It’s quite amusing,

10. Drew says:

I am a huge Shyamalan fan. His style isn’t for everyone I guess, but I love it. (not the huge big budget movies, but his normal movies) So I will be checking this out for sure.
    Funny thing is that The Sixth Sense is one of my least favorite Shyamalan movies because it spells everything out so neatly, while most of his movies require a little more thought. Signs wasn’t about aliens. The Happening was a riff on the 1950′s post-nuclear disaster movies (watch it in black and white)… Okay, I’ll stop before I write a huge post here.