Report: Actor James Corden Replacing Craig Ferguson as Late Late Show Host

James Corden Late Late Show

The search for Craig Ferguson‘s Late Late Show replacement has finally come to an end.

RELATED Craig Ferguson Quits Late Late Show, Says Plan Was in Place Before Letterman Announced Exit

British actor/comedian James Corden, 35, has been tapped to take over hosting duties for the CBS latenight show, The Wrap is reporting. Ferguson announced his own departure from The Late Late Show in April, noting that he’ll be stepping down this December.

Not yet a household name in the states, Corden has appeared on a number of British TV shows, including Doctor WhoGavin & Stacey and Fat Friends. He’ll also appear in Disney’s upcoming musical movie Into the Woods as the Baker. In 2012, Corden won a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play for his work in One Man, Two Guvnors.

(Still not sure who Corden is? Click here for a gallery of some of his most memorable roles thus far.)

A CBS spokesperson declined to comment on the report.

• swede700 says:

YOu’ll have to watch “The Wrong Mans” on Hulu. He’s hilarious.

• herman1959 says:

Yes, I can’t believe The Wrong Mans was left off the list. I’ve loved him in everything I’ve seen him in, but let’s see what he’s like 5-nights-a-week and off the cuff; Craig was good.

• Grey says:

“???”
      I’m write with you James.

And yes I know his previous work is out there (hulu, etc.) for everyone to see but he’s still basically unknon.

1. Mare says:

Yayyyy! Love this guy!

2. Margaret says:

If this is true, it’s excellent news!! James is hilarious!

3. Melissa says:

I’m a big fan! Also, it’s Doctor Who not Dr. and to add to things people might know him from James won a Tony in 2012 for One Man Two Guvnors.

4. Pidge says:

NotMom! Yeah!

5. Sara says:

He’s awesome! He also won a Tony award a few years ago!

6. Adam says:

I would like to thank CBS on behalf of the British public for doing this. The less Mr.Corden is on our tv screens the better.

7. david says:

Hey, it’s Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All’s dad!

• Ed says:

I had no idea who James Corden was until I saw this comment!

If the picture of him wasn’t a tux, but a tee, that would have helped

8. Crystal @MamaMinx says:

Good luck to him, but no one is better than Craig. I will miss him!

9. Lysh says:

What I love/d about Ferguson was that he had guests you normally wouldn’t see, like actors from Doctor Who. So I love this choice! Hopefully he’ll invite similar guests.

• Pamela says:

While I’m sure Craig has some say, agents work harder to get big name guests on the 11:30 shows, so that leaves slim pickings for the 12:30 guys. A newbie or lesser known celeb will always have better luck getting booked there….. & FWIW, why is it always GUYS?????? There are plenty of funny women out there who would make excellent hosts!!!

10. DreamRose311 says:

I’m still in such denial over Craig leaving. Keeping it classy all the way to Christmas… AND BEYOND. No? *sigh* I know he’ll be doing other stuff, but still…

• Angela says:

You are not alone in this feeling. Not at all.
      Not familiar with this guy, but it seems fitting to pick another European to follow Craig. And the comments about him here seem positive as well, so I’ll check him out when he takes over.

• xray says:

You are aware, that neither ferguson nor corden are european?!

• Brendan says:

Pretty sure that Scotland and England are part of Europe. James is not an American citizen and Craig holds dual citizenship, so they are both indeed Europeans (though Craig would more accurately be described as European-born American).

• Angela says:

Pretty sure that Scotland and England are part of Europe.
            Thank you. Hell, Craig talked constantly on his show about his life back home in Scotland, and all the things he did while living/working in Europe in general. So I’m not sure where xray’s getting the idea he’s not European.

• xray is wrong says:

The United Kingdom is not part Euro currency, but it is still part of the continent that is Europe, and is a member of the EU.

• satin8876 says:

Xray, Craig is from Scotland and Corden is from England. Both countries are part of Great Britain which is still part of the European continent. Have you heard something else?

11. ... says:

He is so excellent on The Wrong Mans. Not sure how he’ll do in a talk format, but I’ll be tuning in to see what he can come up with.

12. John Holmes says:

Most of America just responded with “who the hell is James Corden?”

13. Engbunny says:

Who?

14. Caitlin says:

Love him! So excited for this

15. Polly says:

Yeah! He’s awesome!

16. YES says:

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASDFGHJKL ::dead::

17. Elin says:

I like him, he’s adorable :)

18. Cy says:

I’m sure he’s very talented, but I have no idea who he is.

19. knd says:

This makes me excited! I love James Corden!

20. Steven says:

Interesting going for someone relatively unheard-of. I was hoping CBS was going to try to do something new with the timeslot.

21. M3rc Nate says:

Hes awesome, and INSANELY funny, so quick witted. Watch him on the Graham Norton show https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=james+corden+graham+norton

I love this, and while many complain “it should be a woman!” (cough Carrie Keagan cough, who i love but still)….fact is at least of known ones likes Aisha Tyler and Carrie Keagan etc, there comedy chops dont hold up to host Late Late. I love their interviewing skills dont get me wrong….but i see this casting and i think “wow, smart, he is insanely funny and really really personable, seems to me they went for the best person, not best guy or woman, which is how it should be done.”

22. B says:

Complaints that he’s a white male in 3…2…1…

23. Brandy says:

Huh?

I was really hoping for someone else.

Did Community’s renewal ruin Joel McHale’s chances?

24. Tran says:

Colbert & Corden should be a great fit to shake up CBS’ late night line-up but would they take down Fallon & Meyers over on NBC?

25. dancmh says:

Without a doubt I will miss Craig for a long time once he’s gone but this is a nice surprise.

26. BTM says:

I’ll miss Craig Ferguson, but I love James Cordon! I’ve been a fan since Doctor Who.

27. Elizabeth says:

Love him! He is hilarious on Graham Norton.

28. Et al says:

I have no idea who he is, but I’m actually impressed by that. CBS could have gone in many easy, obvious, directions, but this choice seems (on the surface) to stay in the spirit of Ferguson.

29. ncmacasl says:

The Wrong Mans is on HuluPlus in the US!

30. ANNOYED says:

sO ANOTHER WHITE MALE? WOW SO GLAD THAT THIS COUNTRY LOVE DIVERSITY! HOW AWFUL THAT A WOMEN OR A BLACK MAN OR HISPANIC EVEN BE THOUGHT OF TO HOST A SILLY CHAT SHOW. WHITE SUPREMACY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN AMERICA’S BEST KEEP SECRET.

31. Kiki says:

Dear Everyone Saying Who (aka THE TROLLS): “type” any project mentioned into the story or comments into a “search engine” such as “Google” and make your next comment a little more educated. I, for one, am over the moon with the choice.

32. WonderWaage says:

*Makes absolutely inspired “Who?” comment*

33. GeoDiva says:

If I want to watch a talk show with some unknown British guy, I’ll just turn on BBC America.

34. Jane says:

The only think I know him from is Doctor Who but I really liked him on those episodes. Hey at least they didn’t just recycle one of the obvious ones.

35. John Moshier says:

he kinda looks like ross Mathews

36. Graham says:

What were they thinking. I really thought they were going to go with Aisha Tyler. And she said she wanted it. they were not brave enough to break away from the old school mentality. This guy is just the same old same old . Even Craig admitted the Aisha would be the best option. Not even because she is black but mainly because she is female.
    This was an awful idea.

37. rowan77 says:

I LOVE him! He’s really hilarious!

38. Deb says:

And he co-wrote Gavin and Stacey. I thought he was in talks to appear on Broadway again ?

39. Drewer says:

Haha, when Fergason announced his departure a few months back, I thought if they were smart they’d get James Corden. But I thought with his relatively low American profile and ITW coming out that maybe it would never cross anyone’s mind. So happy at this news, I truly think he is the funniest person alive.

40. Marie S Peoples says:

I’ll really miss Craig. Maybe, he talks too much about his testes. It’s ok with me; but, America is funny!

41. He co-starts with Mark Ruffalo and Kiera Knightley in “Begin Again” (currently in theaters).

42. Ethel says:

who???

43. Nat Finn says:

The father of Stormageddon? Sweet. (#DoctorWho thing)

44. Craig Ferguson is Beyond comedy and talent genious, What a sorry mistake letting him walk for CBS. He was the kind of guy you broke the rules to stay up and laugh your a** off before sleep. We ALL know Money talks, so if he still walked after BIG effort to keep him well, then kudos to him for not “selling out.” The only one that might have filled the bill (so to speak) is Ricky Gervais…Now I’ll get an extra hour of sleep :-/

45. David4 says:

He has HUGE shoes to fill. Craig is one of the best talk show hosts ever.

46. Don says:

Awwww…Craig!! I’ll try to watch him, but I don’t see how anyone can replace Craigyferg!!!

47. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Sharon Thomas says:

Thank you! Love James, a fellow Brit….sorry to see Craig go but this has certainly made me happy!

• Ann Guidone says:

I will truly miss Craig Ferguson – he made me laugh all the time – I don’t think James or anyone for that matter can replace Craig. I know I won’t be watching the Late, Late Show after December.