Sharknado 2 Takes Much Bigger Chomp Out of Ratings, Up 180% Vs. Original

Sharknado 2 Ratings

It appears the sharks weren’t the only ones who came back for seconds.

Syfy’s Sharknado 2: The Second One on Wednesday night sucked 3.9 million total viewers into its vortex – making it the cabler’s most watched original movie ever – with 1.6 mil landing in the extra-tasty 18-49 demo, up 180 percent versus the original telepic.

RELATED Sharknado 2: The 13 Best Worst Lines and 13 Fishiest Leaps of Logic

TVLine readers gave the over-the-top follow-up an average grade of “B+.”

The original Sharknado drew 1.4 million total viewers with its initial airing, with 570K landing in the demo. (Its first two encores then added 1.9 milliion and a 2.1 million total viewers, respectively.)

RELATED Syfy Orders Third Sharknado Movie

Syfy ordered a third Sharknado film back in April, three months ahead of The Second One’s premiere.

1. Moment says:

Pretty sure this is the highest rated broadcast in number of viewers, and in the 18-49, 25-54 demo on the network in many years. It’s crazy yet somehow incredible, I can see Sharknado becoming a long running movie series at this rate.

2. kravdan says:

It was a cheesy good time! My son, who is a shark fanatic loved it. We were cracking up at some of the live tweets during the commercial breaks. Bring on Sharknado 3!

3. JB says:

Sad to say I watched this LOL…it was so campy and had us cracking up the entire time! Loved all the cameo’s.

4. Jennifer says:

I loved it. Highly entertaining and faster paced than the first one. The cameos were loads of fun and the Twitter experience was the icing on the cake.

5. Diz says:

I loved it. Even had my mother laughing and commenting out loud when we watched it. The best part was everyone stayed awake during it!

6. CADAM says:

Greatest comedy ever filmed!

7. kelly says:

A group of us had a sharknado viewing event on Facebook… Had a blast…

8. cas says:

I really can’t tell if this is suppose to be one of those films that is just so stupid it’s funny? Sort of like Jeepers Creepers? Man I laughed that entire movie because it was so stupid but would never watch it again. Oh or Snakes on a Plane. Or if maybe it is actually good. I just don’t picture Tara Reid in anything that good.

9. qj201 says: