Pretty Little Liars Recap: Crazy Horse

Pretty Little Liars

Thanks to Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars, we can officially add “horses” to our growing list of terrifying creatures not to be trusted.

RELATED Pretty Little Liars, Glee Ride Second Wave of Teen Choice Nominations

Emily and Spencer nearly came face-to-hoof with one such beast during a fact-finding mission to Bethany’s stable, though Spencer’s injured eye will likely heal faster than Aria and Hanna’s fractured friendship.

Confused? Read on, as we recap all of this week’s Rosewood drama…

Pretty Little LiarsBAD VIBRATIONS | It’s official: Ella has terrible taste in men. During a drunken sandwich run to the Brew, Hanna got all kinds of felt up by her fiancé Zack, but because she’d downed half a bottle of whiskey at the time, her friends assumed she “misinterpreted” the situation. She returned to the Brew the next night to validate her suspicions, at which point Zack felt her up again and gave her his number. But the worst part was Aria’s reaction; she basically called Hanna a slut and blamed her for everything bad going on in their lives. (For the record, I feel like I’ve seen this Lifetime movie before, and it did not end well.)

PONY UP | Meanwhile, Aria spent some time with her new bestie “Big Rhonda,” who revealed that Mrs. DiLaurentis signed Bethany out of Radley several times, and even bought her expensive presents — including a pony. (Sounds like the kind of gift a mother might give to her daughter. There’s no way the twin theory is off the table.) A trip to the stable revealed a few more clues, including a riding helmet with Melissa’s initials, but a thunderstorm threw (or, rather, kicked) a wrench in the girls’ investigation. Seriously, remind me never to go within 20 feet of a horse ever again.

Pretty Little LiarsALI GOES ROGUE | With her dad out of town, Alison crashed at Chez Marin, where she (unintentionally?) filled the Hanna-shaped hole in Ashley’s life. They even planned a faux-mother/daughter dinner, but an unexpected visit from a knife-wielding stranger put a bit of a damper on their evening. Only it wasn’t unexpected, and it wasn’t a stranger; it was Noel Kahn, and Alison orchestrated the entire break-in herself. She apparently wanted “someone like Hanna’s mom” to stop doubting that a killer is after her, but methinks that little stunt will only serve to push her friends further away.

Other observations:

* At first, I had no idea why the girls were singing “What Child Is This?” during choir practice — heck, I didn’t even know they were in choir — but then I remembered we’ve got a Christmas special fast approaching.

* Anyone else excited to see Toby in uniform? (“What seems to be the problem, Officer Cavanaugh?”)

* Do we think Sydney is as creepy as she seems, or are we purposely being misled? True villains in Rosewood tend to be smarter than she is.

Liars, are you as terrified of horses as I am now? And do you think Ella will go through with the wedding? Drop a comment with your thoughts on this week’s episode below.

1. JJM says:

I think the twist on Ella’s fiancé was stupid. He seemed pretty genuine and interested in Ella to the point that they’ve been travelling all over Europe. Seems to me the writers just want to have Hanna get turned on by her friends, slut shamed, then in coming will be a rape storyline and then further slut shaming.

• Andy Swift says:

Yikes… I’m reeeeeally hoping they don’t go the rape route.

• Yh they built him as a nice guy and then do this usually that means he’s part of the a team or something like that like they did with ezra but that won’t be happening why would he do all that and be nice to arias friends and then have him change and be a nasty perve

• Leo says:

Totally agreed! The writers ruin Zack. Why can’t we have one normal male adult in the show? And one actually healthy parents’ relationship (The Fields rarely see each other so that doesn’t count) I like Zack and I feel like it’s jumping the shark to make him a pervert now. What the hell are you doing, writers?

• Brandy says:

To be fair, we’ve only seen Zach in a couple episodes before this one so we didn’t really know him.Also, most of the grown ups on the show are corrupt/evil or at best shady

• Leo says:

Err to be fair, he asked Ella to go to Alaska to bake cakes with her for months which means he’s really serious with her. And last season he has so many sweet scenes with Ella and Aria.
          Now days before his engagement, he gets all gropey with his soon-step-daughter’s best friend twice?
          It’s either lazy writing or A is behind this.

• DL says:

100% agree. The whole thing makes zero sense. Totally out of line with absolutely everything we’ve seen regarding his character. Moreover, he should know she’s Aria’s friend. Is he really dumb enough to think it wouldn’t get back to his future stepdaughter? The whole thing is just ridiculous. I mean, most stuff in PLL is ridiculous, but still.

• Leo says:

Another site suggested that Zack is being blackmailed by A, hence last week’s A-tag and the 100% personality change.
        But he seems really into rubbing Hanna’s back and squeezing her leg.

• Azerty says:

Yeah it’s either A or maybe the writers try to mislead us and he was actually a former alcoholic and tried in a very very twisted and awkward way to help Hanna.

• Jessie says:

I agree with the twist on Ellas fiancé is stupid.. he seemed to really care for her, he didn’t come off as a play boy who flirts with everyone especially younger girls.. whats going on with him?

2. Reblogged this on THB Files and commented:
    Intense episode of PLL. Drunk Hanna was being weird to her friends and stuff. The worst part is Aria calls out and blames Hanna for hitting on Zack. Weirdness. I hate seeing the girls fight. Love the episode.

3. Eric7740 says:

Is Spencer wearing a wig??? Her hair has looked awful the past couple of episodes.

4. K says:

I hated that Aria was so mean to Hanna, but didn’t it seem like she was pretty uncomfortable around Zack at the end of the episode? I am a little confused as to why the writers are going this way, though.And it seriously didn’t occur to the girls that since Sydney was the only one Hanna talked to, she was the one who filled A/Mona in on New York? I think she mentioned New York to Emily on purpose to try and trip her up.
    Also, am I the only one happy about Toby’s haircut?

5. Alex M. says:

Please someone bring up the time line on Pretty Little Liars! It’s been the first half of senior year for the last two (soon to be 2 1/2) seasons! A fact evidenced by the upcoming Christmas episode, so if we put that together, the last half of season 4 (after the Halloween ep) and the first half of season 5 is all happening in the span of like 2 months. Which then means everything before the Halloween ep last year (and since the season 3 premiere) also happened in the span of about 2 to 3 months. That’s pushing it, even for PLL.

• Kip Ladd says:

The writers have already admitted that they are going to strectch senior year as long as possible. I also think they said that we will probably see prom this season but they won’t be graduating by the end of this season.

• cassandra says:

Just like in gossip girl, the liars could attend college locally. I’m thinking Penn for Spencer, Bryn Mawr for Emily, Haverford for Aria, and a philly arts school for Hanna. As for Alison, I’m petty sure she needs to stay in school a bit longer than the other liars.

6. Leo says:

Glad you’re back Andy, your recap is always appreciated.
    I kinda hate how Alison seamlessly thrown into all the liars’ life, girl should deal with her own stuff.
    And c’mon that horse, is he/she a member of A Team or Mona’s Secret Ninjas. Discuss!

7. studied the material on this site loads, intending to take
    the leap very soon and get a steam shower cabin, in all likelihood
    just after the holiday season

8. lauri5567 says:

Yes, Toby got a haircut. Also, as a police officer, he might get a better plot than his mother’s death. Or investigate why all the adult men in Rosewood are into teenage girls. Seriously, the Zack thing was weird.
    I believed Ali at first – should have known better. Also instead of just talking about Noel, maybe we could actually see him. He obviously was put on DWTS to help draw viewers to PLL, so why not include him more?

9. Jess says:

whose twin tho? Bethany was 17 – Ali was 15 at the time & Jason was 19/20

creepy zach was unnecessary & stupid but I guess Hanna needed a storyline besides being Ali’s main frenimy/drunk & he was the only one available lol

10. Cate53 says:

Agreed that I’m sorry they made Zack a creep. I liked that they gave Ella a younger guy, she deserves someone decent!
    Alison’s devious ways know no bounds! She laid on the ‘poor me’ stuff on Hanna’s mom after Emily’s didn’t fall for her story. Love Mrs Marrin and scaring her with that knife-wielding hoodie-wearing home invader was not cool! I hope Emily and Spencer’s horrified looks mean they will start questioning her lies more.
    Assistant coach Emily! Sydney is so obviously shady though. Emily trying to put her off the trail wasn’t that convincing, but the speed with which the A text about Hanna’s big mouth so soon after her drunken coffee shop meeting with Sydney really should indicate Sydney is a minion. Evasive about her parents too.
    I did enjoy the opening choir singing and Hanna’s out of tune bit! LOL!

11. Beckers0505@yahoo.com says:

I can not stand Allison! I liked it much better when the girls were looking for here. She needs to go and go fast! Also, I liked that Emily’s mom saw through Allison’s crap I wish that Hanna’s mom would have too.

12. cassandra says:

I’m stating to get fed up with Caleb. The writers have ruined him. He used to be pretty smart, always supportive of Hanna, and even close with Mrs. Marin. Now all he’s supporting Hanna to do is drink and he’s dropping out of high school. If Hanna doesn’t do something about this soon, they’re both going to keep spiraling down.

13. Tamara says:

Why is no one mentioning how AWFUL Aria was to Hanna?! I’ve always disliked Aria (in a love-to-hate-her way, what with the lol inducing outfits and her creepy underage relationship with Ezra) but now I straight up can’t stand her! The fact that she slut shamed Hanna is ironic in so many ways and there better be an epic apology to Hanna coming our way or I’ll be even more mad.

Also even though Hanna is currently going through a drinking problem and donning some very questionable tights, she’s the only one I respect (yes not even my beloved, usually wise Spencer) for actually not taking most of Ali’s BS while the others, *cough* Emily, continue to pander to her sickeningly.

• Brandy says:

I was just going to say something like I hope Zach hits on Aria or Aria witnesses zack hitting on Hanna again and feels awful for how cruel she was to Hanna and when she finds out Hanna was right she better say sorry.Zach hitting on her and her friends not being there for her is only gonna maker drinking /acting out worse.I expected the episode to end with Ella leaving the room and Zach hitting on Aria ,Aria realizing Hanna was right.

• Stella says:

I think if anyone had a friend like Hanna (who nowadays is always drunk and in a bad mood) and told you that your future Dad was hitting on her… most people’s first reaction will be exactly as Aria. Just put on her place.

14. Lara Jean says:

Sydney is so shady, hopefully someone will find our her real story soon. I can’t believe Alison would do that to Hanna’s mom, that is awful. I wonder if she had Noel attack her so Emily could save her that night. Can’t trust her at all!

15. B says:

Shana left town because Ezra knew her secret or because of A. Sydney is a part of Mona’s army and connected to Shana or Bethany. Spencer seeing Ali in her backyard was that supposed to make us think Ali’s up to something or that it was Ali’s twin. The show has hooked me again. It almost lost me when A/Shana was on top of the ambulance.

16. justpaste.it says:

Great web site, previously been scouting forever for ideas on the very best rattan furniture for our
    home and in our garden. The site really helpedgreat blog
    some great info here