Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams on Lady Stoneheart, 'Snobby' Book Readers and Her New Movie Heatstroke

Game Of Thrones Season 5

As Game of Thrones‘ feisty swordstress Arya Stark, Maisie Williams isn’t typically seen as a damsel in distress — nor should she be — but following the stateside release of her new movie Heatstroke, that’s all about to change.

RELATED Game of Thrones Adds Jonathan Pryce, Deep Space Nine Alum and Casts Sand Snakes for Season 5

In Heatstroke — originally released in the UK in 2013, but now available in the U.S. on iTunes and VOD — Williams plays Josie, the daughter of Stephen Dorff’s Paul, who finds herself in desperate need of saving after a family trip to Africa goes horribly, violently wrong.

Below, Williams talks to TVLine about the struggles of playing helpless in Heatstroke, why she loved Thrones‘ Lady Stoneheart exclusion and why she believes Arya is finally “ready to go off on her own” in Season 5.

Game Of Thrones Season 5TVLINE | What attracted you to this role? Josie is sort of the anti-Arya.
I shot this two or three years ago, and when we got the script, I wasn’t in any position to be picking and choosing roles to play. I think people think stuff gets thrown at us all the time, but that’s not the case; there aren’t many roles out there for people my age.

TVLINE | Did you enjoy not having to be the fighter for once?
[Josie and Arya] are both completely different characters, and I enjoy doing both. I enjoy Game of Thrones for obvious reasons, but it was also refreshing to work with a different crew on a different set with different cast members.

TVLINE | Do you have a favorite scene in Heatstroke?
When Jo encounters the hyena, that was pretty cool. It was really different, something you don’t get to experience on every film set.

TVLINE | I feel like you work with a lot of animals. Any favorites?
The horses are the easiest, they don’t get too grumpy. The dogs would probably be second. The hyenas were also good, but there’s always the possibility that they’re going to freak out, because they can’t really be tamed. … Oh, the cat I worked with on Game of Thrones was so badly behaved! It would never do anything it was supposed to do. I was like, “Get your game together, cat. You’re so bad.”

Game Of Thrones Season 5TVLINE | Well, hopefully Arya won’t be dealing with any more cats in Season 5. Do you know what she will be dealing with?
I haven’t gotten the scripts yet, so I still don’t know what’s happening. I have a rough outline of what happens in the books, but you never know what they’re going to put into this season versus next season, or what they’re going to scrap altogether. I know a couple of really cool things happen in the books with Arya, and I just had a meeting about about a certain thing that happens to Arya, but I still don’t know how it happens. And that’s what it was like last year; I was learning fight scenes, even though I didn’t know who I’d be fighting or why I’d be fighting them. People think the cast members know all the ins and outs, but we really don’t.

TVLINE | Being a social media pro, I’m sure you’re aware of the Lady Stoneheart outcry. Any thoughts on that?
That was a massive deal, but honestly, I really like it. I’m so sick of going on the internet and seeing all the book readers being snobby, spoiling it for other people, then saying, “Well, it’s not a spoiler. The books have been out for years.” Like, couldn’t you just stop being mad for a second and let other people enjoy the show? They feel they have a claim on the series because they read the books first, and I understand that, but they don’t need to be mean about it. That’s why I liked moments like this, because book readers think they know what’s coming, then we change it and it’s really funny to watch their reactions. They’re always like, “That’s not what happened in the books, so the show’s really bad now.” But really, they just feel insecure because they’re used to knowing what’s coming next.

TVLINE | Do you know what’s coming next, at least for Arya?
I don’t know, honestly. We’re starting to catch up with what’s been written, so I’d love to do something completely new. Again, I’d love to keep making the book readers go, “Wait, is that what’s going to come in the next book? Did they make that up completely?” I love it when we do something really dramatic and shock everyone. They should throw in more stuff that no one knows about.

TVLINE | As long as it’s not Arya accidentally falling out of a moon door.
[Laughs] Yeah, that would suck.

Game Of Thrones Season 5TVLINE | Going into Season 5, Arya’s going to be Hound-less for once. Will she be OK on her own?
I think she’s going to be fine. And I think, for the first time ever, she actually believes she’s going to be fine. It’s refreshing to me; this girl’s been pulled left and right by people who’ve been telling her what she’s going to do with her life, and she’s sick of it. She knows this world, she knows who to trust and she’s ready to go off on her own.

Thrones fans, what are you hoping to see in Season 5? And for all you book snobs, how did you feel about the lack of Lady Stoneheart in Season 4? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Grey says:

Yet another answer that skirts around Lady Stoneheart. Due to the lack of a definitive answer out of the showrunners, I’m really thinking Stoneheart will be included next season

• Andy Swift says:

Michelle Fairley getting a season-long arc on ABC’s Resurrection has me less convinced…

• It doesn’t skirt around anything. Maisie simply doesn’t know anything. From what I’ve read Stoneheart has been in the books for like 5 pages to effectively do nothing. Unless GRRM has big plans for the character in the next 2 books we won’t be seeing her. It would be very difficult to do the character as its written, and of course the second anything gets changed the complaining will start. So why bother.

• Zach says:

5 pages is a huge exaggeration. While she is only in it for a few chapters, she is doing a ton of stuff off screen. She also seemingly plays a big role in the future of Jamie and Brienne’s story line.

• Sara says:

You are referring to a lot of speculative things (“doing a ton of stuff off screen” and “seeming plays a big role in the future”). So the show producers and writers would have a lot filling in the blanks on a character that may or may not play a large role in unreleased books. There are way more characters that are more fully realized currently active in the books than Lady Stoneheart for them to focus on without getting into speculative territory.

• Isobel says:

GRR Martin has told them what happens in the future books, so if Lady Stoneheart doesn’t appear we’ll know she isn’t integral to the future books plot

• Bobby Kidd says:

oh you sweet summer child. What do you know of winter. If you haven’t read the Grand Northern Conspiracy it is hard to understand her importance.

• Jimmy says:

hope you are right. She need to appear. what else was characters like Beric and Thoros for anyway and showing Berics resurrection

• Tammy Belka says:

I just finished re-reading FFC. Stoneheart is in exactly 3 pages. Sure, she’s referenced a little more… so one could argue 10 pages, tops.

• LMK says:

From what I read, the Lady Stoneheart story line has been cut.
      Game of Thrones will cut that storyline entirely. In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, Michelle Fairley — who played Catelyn on the show — confirmed she won’t be returning to the show to play Stoneheart. “She’s dead,” said Fairley. “You respect the writers’ decision. I knew the arc, and that was it. They can’t stick to the books 100 percent. It’s impossible — they only have 10 hours per season.”

2. Chris says:

But where’s Gendry?

3. Zayne says:

Haha, one more reason to love Maisie. That entire answer about snobby book readers makes me so happy. I got Lady Stoneheart ruined for me by people crying about it after the finale. Why people can’t just stop posting spoilers is beyond me.

• Ray says:

Because humanity sucks. That’s why I’m a misanthrope.

• Patrick says:

Nope. If its in the books, it isn’t a spoiler.

Original production takes precedent, and is the true cannon for any intellectual property, until the originator of said property definitively states otherwise.

If you don’t like the readers posting spoilers, don’t go on the forums or read the books.

• Jessica says:

I loved her response. Well stated. People get so bent out of shape when the show even slightly deviates from the book. No where does it say that they are following the books. I wish people would just sit back, shut their damn pie holes and enjoy the show. I think a lot of times people forget that TV is an escape, they get to focused on what they think should happen or what doesn’t make sense.

• Eva says:

Oh, stop crying about the spoilers! How do they “spoil” anything for you? One surprise less, boo-freaking-hoo, it’s not like you won’t be able to watch the show anymore, why all the drama? This is something that people have known for years, it’s been such a big deal for some (for others, like me – huge disappointment, I thought we were rid of yet another whiny Stark…), don’t expect them to keep restraining themselves, they want to talk about things like anyone else is able to talk, to express their disappointment freely, not just in spoiler threads. That’s their right. Sucks to have things spoiled, but let’s not make it into some kind of huge problem. How about you start avoiding all kinds of GoT discussions, not expect others to follow your rules.

• Ray says:

Eva, you fail to understand that this whole discussion is about people who *deliberately* spoil events of the Song of Fire and Ice saga for those who haven’t read all of the novels. There are many readers who do take precautions not to spoil others. Why should those who haven’t read the books have to avoid ALL GoT forums for fear of being spoiled? No, the solution is for those who have read the books to follow proper online TV/book discussion etiquette.

• Terrance says:

Actually it’s about masie’s interview and the question is how do you feel about the absence of ls in season 4 and what do you hope too see in season 5 nothing about spoilers that just came up in alot of unpleasant arguments posters were having

• Eva says:

You fail to get my point – people blow spoilers out of proportion. It used to be, only things from future episodes of shows were marked as spoilers, these days you can’t even discuss important plot points from aired eps without issuing a million of warnings, because maybe someone wishes to watch the episodes in three months.
          Some people have read the books. They want to discuss the show in relation to the books. When something important is changed or skipped, they want to express their opinion on that. Your whining won’t change that. Stop acting like they commit some abominable crime by discussing things that are common knowledge, just not to the tv show viewers. And re: people who spoil important plot points for the sake of it – they’re trolls, they know they will raise outrage by doing it. Stop acting like spoilers are the end of the world, they’ll stop. too.
          (and, yeah, the main discussion is not about spoilers, but my blood simply boils whenever I see a person whining about that. So treat my discussion thread as the spoiler discussion feed, if you wish)

• Ray says:

You claim your blood boils when people complain about being spoiled. In much the same way, people who get spoiled are upset when that happens. Their opinions and feelings are every bit as valid as yours. Instead of complaining about those who get upset, why not take the simple precaution of using spoiler tags or spoiler alerts to avoid all the inevitable fallout??

• Ray says:

You claim your blood boils when people complain about being spoiled. In much the same way, people who get spoiled are upset when that happens. Their opinions and feelings are every bit as valid as yours. Instead of complaining about those who get upset, why not take the simple precaution of using spoiler tags or spoiler alerts to avoid all the inevitable fallout? This whole situation could be avoided entirely if people learned to respect one another.

• So, if someone tells you the ending of a book you’re currently reading, is that okay because you didn’t read fast enough? I mean, after all, the book is already out, it’s your fault for not finishing it on the first day.

• Mark says:

Why is it for some people so hard to act not like ruthless ***holes?
        There are dozens of forums for us book readers.
        Does a little decency hurt you so much?

• Eva says:

Lol, “ruthless”? “Decency”? Some people are both book readers and tv show watchers, deal with it. Stop acting like spoilers break your weenie hearts, they only mean anything because people overreact about them.

• Brigid says:

How about you take your own advice. Maybe YOU should avoid GOT sites so that our rights to enjoy things spoiler free aren’t violated. What a hypocrite!

• Mark says:

Generally I agree, but as a book reader myself I want to point out that it’s only a small group of readers (at least that’s what I hope) who act as such a**holes, so please don’t make it sound like all of us are like that.
      BTW: sorry that they ruined that for you.

• Mari says:

I’m a fan of the books, but I agree SO MUCH WITH MAISIE. It really bothers me when book fans go all “I know more than you”. I’m pissed about Lady Stoneheart, but I agree with her reason to why she liked her exclusion.

4. Seriously? the Lady Stoneheart thing is still “a thing”?… give it a rest people!, her character really didn’t have that much story in the books, I mean, so far that is; she appeared like, twice after that epilogue in the third book, and, other than shock value, I don’t see how much story you could put in the show since she pretty much disappears after that big reveal.

5. Ian says:

Lady Stoneheart is something the show could have taken and really ran with and made their own though. So I’d say they missed a trick by excluding her. The show takes enough liberties with the source material, so a gnarly-looking water zombie Michelle Fairley embarking on some huge revenge crusade for the Red Wedding and other characters getting involved would have been epic. It could have been the other big thing the season could have focused on besides just the Martells. This last season’s finale was pretty underwhelming as well, so it’s not like people disappointed about Lady Stoneheart are just being whiny brats.
    And Maisie came off pretty snotty herself in this interview.

• Ray says:

How did she come off snotty? She spoke her mind and called out book spoiling @$$holes for being exactly what they are.

• she came off as snotty because she bashed anyone complaining about the exclusion of LSH as ‘just insecure because they don’t know what happens’ – who the hell cares about whether they know what happens or not? people were upset because it’s an EPIC event that they wanted to see happen on the screen, period.

and stop acting like Maisie is some kind of authority figure – she’s an actress that plays Arya well but she’s also a 17 year old girl who’s perfectly capable of having stupid opinions like the one she expressed in this interview

• She’s awesome, I love how she calls out annoying people like the above commenter about nonsense.

• Jimmy says:

agreed to not do LS would be insane. She MUST appear

6. IMHO says:

What a great interview !
    I really enjoyed the part about the “book readers being snobby”. That is so true. It always amazes me how hysterical some people get if the show deviates even slightly from the books.

7. Casey Sledge says:

If your series is based on a book series, and you don’t feel like you need to follow the books, YOU are the problem, not “snobby” book readers.

• Sara says:

She didn’t say that at all! She said that book readers who felt the need to spoil things for non-readers were being snobbish. She said that she liked that the show occasionally did things to surprise book readers. She didn’t say that they don’t need to follow the books. She said certain book readers need to stop spoiling things.

The fact that she has said in a previous interview that she does sword fights with her non-dominant hand in order to match her character from the book goes to show how much she respects the books.

• It looks like you’re in the minority. There is definitely value in experiencing both mediums, but being a spoiling jerkhole has no value except from a trolling standpoint. There’s also the thing about, you know, the second thing you’re experiencing being diminished by foreknowledge of the first. And from all accounts I’ve seen, the show is considerably better than the books, so that gives me another reason to not read them.

• LOL “From all accounts you have seen”? Which “accounts” are those? It’s really funny that you know the show is better than the books, since you have NOT read them. And it shows. Pretty much everyone who has both read the books and seen the show thinks that the books are MUCH, MUCH better than the show.

• Well, there’s Film Crit Hulk who kind of hates the books. And when everyone was talking about the Jaime/Cersei rape scene, I saw a lot of people chiming in that the book version of Cersei yelling stuff like, “Do me harder!” made the books sound like bad erotica. Sure, my judgement is based on the opinions of (many) others, but how many cheesy excerpts do I need to read before I’m allowed to avoid 500+ page books that have however as much of this: “He circled her nipples with his thumbs, pinched them between thumb and forefinger, then began to pull at her, very lightly at first, then more insistently, until her nipples stiffened and began to ache.” I’m no prude, but this is about the 13 year old version of Daenerys and it sounds about as sexy as stale pizza.

• Terrance says:

Books are always better than the show more detail than you can pack into an hour and the show game of thrones is BASED on the book series not an exact replica every book to movie I have seen/read contain many differences that’s why they say based on

• I would caution against committing to any general rule, especially when it comes to the execution in a medium. I would say that most books are better than their adapted screen material, sure. But there are always exceptions to the rule. I googled movies that were better than the book and it spit 116 million results at me.

• Please. As one of the people who’ve read the books I can fully admit how obnoxious some of these know it all online morons are.

• Dys says:

“Based on” has never had to be synonymous with “duplicated from.” nor has it required the source material that anything uses to be used any more than those doing the adaptation choose to. Unfortunately a lot of people conveniently ignore that or are unaware of the difference. I appreciate that those who are familiar with source material for anything, in this case Game Of Thrones, love the idea of seeing the things that they envisioned play out for real, but it isn’t mandatory.

• Janae says:

Thank you! I think she said that nonsense just to seem edgy and against the grain. She sounds ridiculous and immature.

Book readers are within their rights to expect characters and events from the novels to appear in the adaptation. We’re also within our rights to questions strange choices like this when the show split book 3 in half and therefore had plenty of time for Lady Stoneheart.

• Terrance says:

Based on…..not exactly if it said an exact copy of the books that would be different

• jakeysf says:

Almost every TV show or movie has been based on something else – books, other movies, etc. Do you always go back to every source material for everything that you watch? And if you don’t, are you not “worthy enough” to enjoy the current material for what it is? The books are great. The show is great. They’re great in different ways and they also suck sometimes in different ways. It’s not freakin War and Peace.

8. gerard says:

Don’t know don’t care what Michelle Fairley salary was but not having to pay it was a good reason to drop Lady Stoneheart story line. Not seeing Lady Stoneheart at the end of season 4 was almost as shocking as the red wedding.

9. Zamron says:

Always thought the “Lady Stoneheart” character was a cheap trick to keep a dead character alive anyway. Since it appears she won’t be back, that cleans up the story lines and now we get to try and figure out what happens to Brienne and her squire now that they have escaped the evil clutches of GRRM. Keep changing things, it makes it new for those of us who have read it.

• Jimmy says:

and yet they showed berics resurrection and is not doing Robert Strong. Have you even watched the show because then you definitely missed that.

LS should definitely appear to avenge Starks and hang some Freys. RW should have a consequence just like in the books

10. Fran says:

I really loved her response about snobby book readers but I have no doubt it will tick many people off. I happen to agree with her though. The show is based on the books. Its not a word for word adaptation. It always amazes me how mad people get when the storyline deviates from the book. I get that certain characters or storylines are loved by book readers and they’re just passionate about them…. but the sense of entitlement from some fans really goes way too far. I’ve read the books and I enjoyed them… but I have no desire to watch a show where I literally know every single thing that’s going to happen. Give me the unexpected anyday.

11. Mel says:

I have read the books and I am also glad they are, hopefully, leaving out Lady Stoneheart. I don’t mind that the show differs from the books and some story lines are off a bit. That makes it fun/exciting. I also can’t wait until next season to see what may or may not be different as well. So many times when books are made into movies/shows, some people are upset because, obviously, a show/movie just cannot be exactly like the book. Thus, when GoT changes up the story a bit, why complain? Sit back, watch and enjoy. Or, change the channel. But, most important, stop the whining.

• Jimmy says:

you should stop whining. LS need to appear. She is a tragic and cool character and it shows there is a consequence for the RW

12. Honestly who cares about the Lady Stoneheart storyline. It’s really not all that. As someone who has read the books, I like the show better. The books have to many needless storylines that ultimately go nowhere. I like how the show is streamlining things.

For example, in the book we have hundreds of boring pages of Brienne roaming around talking to this one, that one, etc etc while she looks for Sansa to finally find out from a priest that the hound is ‘at rest’. In the show, Brienne met up with him and had a badass confrontation. Arya leaves him, we don’t see him die (though I believe he’s dead). Same outcome, much more interesting way to get there.

13. DL says:

Word is Maisie is in talks to play Ellie, one of the leads in “The Last of Us” film adaptation. Having played the game it’s based on (which is pretty much a cinematic experience already), that role is juicy as all heck and I really hope she gets it.

14. no one says:

i think it’s important to see things from everyone’s perspective, and lady stoneheart mattered a lot of some fans. for me she was the embodiment of catelyn stark’s last moments of anger and vindictiveness. i really love female “villains,” as well as characters who seek revenge. other reader’s have pointed out her significance with jaime and brienne’s story line, particularly with a decision brienne is forced to make.. i thought that was a great, albeit apprehensive part to read. and i get it, spoilers are one of the most annoying things, i’ve seen those fans on comment sections spoiling the books for a lot of people, but there are also a lot of fans shouting them down as well. it’s important not to generalize one group of people. i personally am not a huge fan of the show now. i’m the last person who will say “it’s not like the books.” i find that annoying as well. as an adaption you have to make changes, and i usually look forward to those. but it goes farther then simple changes in the story. i was appreciative to the show runners, and still am, for introducing the series to me. but these characters aren’t the same in the book. what i really liked about the show was that this it was unpredictable and there was so much detail and characters you were intrigued by. what i love about the books is the author subverting tropes. and i don’t see that in the show. they don’t take as many risks and try to make characters who have done reprehensible things in the books seem more sympathetic to the audience. or in catelyn’s case the story of the young boy king is written from the mother’s perspective. what a lovely thing the show runners could have done. the mother is hardly given a role in fantasy, unless she’s evil. and what a great trope to subvert, most people have visceral reactions when seeing a well-written, loving relationship between a mother and her children. that would have been so interesting to watch. but we have another boy king story. people love those. but maybe people love these things because they’ve seen them so much, maybe people don’t always know what’s best. and you have to take a chance and show them. i just feel, for a few reasons, this series hasn’t been doing the spirit of these characters justice.
    i love the show and the books. but like a few shows i like, i like the characters, i want to know what happens, but they’ve has increasingly become disappointing to me. most importantly, i’ve learned as much as i love game of thrones, i should learn to love things without being too attached to them, as i think i’ve seen a lot of other fans doing. but most importantly let’s be nicer and more understanding to one another. as much as i may agree with the fans who complain about the show, it’s not fun to hear that sort of negativity. and to see people treating one another as objects of derision and getting heated over contentious aspects of the show.

15. Janae says:

MW’s interviews having been leaving a bad taste in my mouth since before the season started. Her ignorance and disdain for the character she plays and her growing immaturity make me wish that spoof article about her quitting GOT for college were true. She could do with some education and growth. In the meantime, the fans could do with an actress playing Arya who comprehends and likes the role.

smh about that Lady Stoneheart comment.

16. Rob says:

i was gutted about no lady stoneheart and i get that at the moment she hasn’t done ‘enough’ to warrant being in the series but the thing is if they don’t put lady stoneheart in the t.v show then that’s a spoiler for book readers that she isn’t going to go on to do anything too prominent…if there is a group that should suffer spoilers it should be non-book readers and by not having her in the show, is a spoiler for book readers in that sense…

• ultimate troll says:

Yeah I think you know that’s a pretty thin straw you’re grasping at there. The show spoiling the unwritten books because of the showrunner’s assumed decisions based on their unspecified pre-knowledge??? Really???

Hey, if it makes you feel better I’ve always thought whatever Martin told the show guys about his endgame was 1) very broad strokes and probably only about the major players and 2) subject to change.

17. dpr says:

The loss of lady Stonehenge is no big deal. Sansa can pick this plotline up it would give real kudos to her character to become the star’s avenging Angel

• Jimmy says:

awful idea. LS need to appear to show there is consequences for RW

• Terrance says:

I think sansa is a stark and would be very suitable too avenge the red wedding if you don’t agree please explain why I’m pretty confident that they are going too do that atleast on some level too those who disagree with that or any other changes grab that remote I guess

• A.B. says:

That would be pretty interesting. After everything Sansa has been through, for her to say “f this” and finally let that hate and anger to take over and seek revenge would be awesome. All we’ve seen so far is a meek girl and it was set up in the final episodes to make it look like she will start playing the game. I would like to see her take down Littlefinger.

18. TraciTV says:

Snobby book readers who get mad n spoil it for the rest of us is pretty accurate. “they feel like the have a claim on the show because they read the books”. That’s more than accurate. Smh!

19. Ammar says:

Most the people who post spoilers on the internet are not book readers, but wiki readers. As someone who has read the books and loves the T.V. show, why in seven hells would I want to spoil it for other people if I want them to enjoy it?

That said, nice interview!

20. Valar says:

Many the people that like to spoil are just wiki readers, having never touched the books they don’t always get the details right.

21. Oott says:

that’s easy stick to the thesis of the story as it runs. y’all can correct me if you think I’m wrong; but that gist of the story is and has been that there are no good guys in this make belief world.

22. Daphne says:

” book readers being snobby,”
    Snobby eh? How about stop being a couch potato for once and exercise your mind and read a book!

• ultimate troll says:

The expression couch potato is kinda silly since you’re not exactly getting aerobic exercise while reading either. Also this idea that book reading inherently is better for your mind – it’s not. There are plenty of people reading junk and watching great shows.

Also your comment is really funny and snobby – wait were you being sarcastic?

• Jonathan says:

The one comment that bugs me the most is when people said something ignorant and said read a book for once. Yes, I read the books and know the story inside out but there are millions of books out there that I haven’t read and I read an average of 3 books per month. Stop saying it’s not a spoiler because the books been out for years! Well you know what? A lots of movies that come out are from books that been out for years. Do you want everyone to spoil the movie for you cause they read it already? Good Fella, Casino, Forrest Gump are all came from a book. You can’t possibly read everything out there! Maybe fantasy is not their genre. Maybe they like science fiction, crime novel, history, or romance. Maybe when the series is over, they will read the novel to get more details.

23. Daphne says:

I wanted LSH to appear because I care for the show and the viewers specifically the unsullied. It would have been so awesome to watch the viewers shocked. Also i dont think they cut LSH because they want to surprise viewers. Its more likely that Michelle Fairley asked for a raise and HBO would not give it to her.

24. Ken Pittman says:

My wife and I love this young lady. She looks like an older version of our two year old daughter so we were instantly in her corner when we first watched. You rock Maisie!

25. John says:

As a huge fan of the novels I can totally see her point in this, however the issue here like most issues, lies with the individual people. Some people are assholes. Some people are polite. This is just yet another instance of our society trying to break things down into simple terms for simple minds. It’s easy say book readers are snobby or fans of the show are only half informed, because as a whole we like to make things as simple as possible: white, black, straight, gay, catholic, or mormon. We like feeling like there is one little sentence that sums up the entire being of a person when the truth is we’re complex and we don’t like to think so. It isn’t that people who read the books are assholes, it’s that there are assholes who read the books… and I can also see where fans of the novels want the source material to be the true inspiration. The last time a book got really popular like this and we started changing it and marketing it to tons of new fans that were in no way familiar with the original source material it led to Christianity.

26. Michael says:

Jon dies..

27. jonnybc says:

Book readers get bent out of shape at ‘new” stuff because the books are better. They want to see what is in the books because the story is that good (except maybe book 4). I would agree that people are jerks who spoil it for others on the internet, but I mean it is the internet. Like it or not, a lot of the readers will get more and more disillusioned if they change things in a major way.
    Show watchers only may be annoyed and not care about the readers, but you have to remember this is one of those cult following type of things, and been big for years, so its understandable how they are passionate about it. Yet solely show watchers seem to be peeved by this, despite that fact that they are now passionate about it. So perhaps a little hypocritical. I think maisie is wrong in assuming that (most) people are snobby because they know whats coming. No they want to see what is written because its a helluva story, not because they’re being pretentious.

28. Kalia Roark says:

The return of the Hound. There WAS a maester behind that rock. There was. There was!

29. Janis Kline says:

I love the books, the HBO series adds faces to the characters which makes the reading more fun. I love the HBO series because it doesn’t quite follow the books, giving me surprises in the viewing.

30. candace says:

I felt fine about the omission of lady Stoneheart. I didn’t want them to do what everyone was expecting and have her be a cliffhanger into next season. I want them to introduce her and have show watchers not realize who she is at first. I do hope they don’t leave her out completely. I seem to remember reading that that was a possibility. We haven’t really seen much of her even in the books yet; we don’t know where her story could be going, but if they leave her out, then it would be pretty safe to assume that she doesn’t really have that much impact on the rest of the story, and that would be incredibly depressing.

31. Francine says:

Dear Maisie: Please do not call the book readers snobs because we can read. I do not suppose to speak for all who were upset about not seeing Stoneheart. As far as I am concerned, I enjoyed seeing her get revenge for her family in the book and was hoping to see more revenge on a grander scale on the show.

32. The reason “book snobs” are annoyed is because the Game of Thrones media deluge pretends that every week is a NEW! SHOCK! and that the answer to the question of _____ is unknowable, as if the books–and the fans of the books that are the reason the TV show exists in the first place–don’t even exist. Yes, some book readers are trolls and stupidly, obnoxiously wander around the internet tossing spoilers like hand grenades, but come on. Speaking as a book reader, can we at least not pretend that the HBO show is occurring in a vacuum? And remember that a LOT of the excitement and anticipation, and the viral nature of the Red Wedding, is because of book readers? So-called entertainment reporters can’t even be bothered to do a little research and get their facts straight on common fan theories or even read the books themselves, and book readers are supposed to bite their tongues and say, oh yes, Jon Snow might be the son of Robert Baratheon, yes, yes, that’s the theory. No. Good God, entertainment reporters get paid to write this crap, don’t they? Treat the readers with a little respect, don’t insult their intelligence, and for Christ’s sake, remember they EXIST, all right? Then maybe we can have a little more pleasantness on both sides.

33. El Valedor says:

Snoby readers made possible that GoT had the sufficient relevance for HBO to make a show based on it and give work to a spoiled brat who lacks the wits to realize this and know who to thank.

34. Brett says:

Love Maisie’s attitude concerning the fans of the written series! Buncha nogoodniks all around. Also, I can’t agree more that the show should continue to veer dramatically from the novels. Martin has a history of hating heroes and doing horrible things to any character with a soul. If alive today, I’m quite certain Twain would have challenged this curd to a duel…or at least written a wonderful essay to condemn his literary atrocities.

35. robfromloveland says:

It appears few people are actually interested in information about GOT, but a great many have semi-religious beliefs about whether those who have read the GOT books should discuss anythng that hasn’t been presented in the TV series. Hey, it is a trivial, meaningless argument. If you have only seen the TV, and you don’t want to know anything that hasn’t been broadcast, don’t read these forums, OK? The shows for season 5 are only partly planned, so nobody, including the showrunners, can give complete information. And nobody, including Martin, has more than a rudimentary idea what will be in any future books, that may or may not be written and/or published. It could end with Dany as queen/empress with Jon Snow as consort; it could end with Bran king and Margaery queen; or with Sansa the queen ruler and Tyrion as her hand. All possible endings are valid at this time, make your choice.

• Ray says:

Who are you to tell non-book readers to stay off a TV forum to avoid spoilers? Why don’t book readers create their own forum to discuss the TV series instead?

36. PattyDee says:

You know nothing…everyone! As Maisie eloquently suggests, “stop being mad for a moment and enjoy the bloody show!” Let it be what it is. LSH was in the books. She may or may not be in the screen adaptation.

37. Darien Merhibi says:

I think in GoT season 5 Arya would have lots of adventures with the Valar Morghulis guy and he would teach her some good staff

38. deavertex says:

How could a spoiler possibly make any difference? Everybody is going to die horribly, probably after being gang raped. That’s what the viewers want to see anyhow, so you bet your bippie that’s what they’re going to get.

39. Kathleen says:

Got the Books but decided to read them after the GoT series is finished as I’m enjoying the production, over the seasons, So Very Much! Thanks to the producers and directors and these amazing, wonderful actors.

40. Francine says:

I was very disappointed Lady Stoneheart wasn’t included….yet I understand that there are so many characters and plot lines that are more important. My solution would be to increase the number of episodes so that more of the original story can be enjoyed. I mean honestly, who doesn’t want to see some Stark revenge?

41. Kirel says:

“But really, they just feel insecure because they’re used to knowing what’s coming next.” Um. No! What I’m upset about is the inherent changing of the story. Lady Stoneheart has a very important role to play in the overall story. When you leave out things of importance, it degrades the entire experience.

42. This young lady is wise beyond her years.

43. While I understand people don’t want to be spoiled, you have to take some of the blame on yourself when you are spoiled. If you’re actively looking for information about a show you are behind on or that has shown overseas but hasn’t debuted here yet or that is based on a previous work you should probably not seek out information online about it and just enjoy the show. I don’t spoil people to things or generally even engage in discussion on these types of forums because I never know if I can talk about anything or not and I have read things online and spoiled stuff for myself with other shows out there and though it was disappointing I did seek information out and boom there was a reveal that spoiled something. Just don’t take the chance and if you are going to take the chance realize you are doing so at your own risk.

44. BassOfSpades says:

Is it really snobbish to be stoked on a character and then feel let down when they are cut? This whole snobbish reader comment seemed snobbish in itself. There are readers that try to not spoil things. I for one was super excited for Stoneheart, does that make me a snob? Just a weird thing to say and generalize on…