Exclusive

First Look: Gracepoint Detective Issues a Stern Warning to Danny's Killer

“There will be no hiding place for Danny’s killer.” So avows David Tennant’s Detective Emmett Carver in a haunting new promo for Fox’s Gracepoint.

RELATED Gracepoint EPs: Fox Series ‘Diverges In Significant Ways’ From Broadchurch

A Stateside adaptation of ITV’s Broadchurch (which also starred Tennant as the lead investigator), Gracepoint revolves around the tragic death of an 11-year-old boy, and how the repercussions shake a small seaside town to its core. Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad) plays veteran Gracepoint PD detective Ellie Miller, whose plum promotion out-of-towner Carver walked in and snagged.

And while Gracepoint starts off in a very similar fashion to its across-the-pond inspiration, exec producer Carolyn Bernstein promises that by the third or fourth episode, “It really diverges in significant ways.”

RELATED Fall TV First Impression: Fox’s Red Band Society

Gracepoint premieres Thursday, Oct. 2 at 9/8c, leading out of Bones Season 10. Watch the new promo, set to a cover of “Mad World,” and tell us: Will you be watching?

1. Bella Garcia says:

OMG I WILL SOOOOOO BE WATCHING THIS! I watched Broadchurch and I loved it. Can’t wait to se how this goes…. David Tennant speaking in an American accent?????WOW something new! Very excited! (can you tell?)

2. Elena says:

I’m still debating on whether or not to watch this show. I’m such a fan of the British version I know I’ll be inevitably comparing the two in my mind if I do watch. Though, I probably will try out the pilot at least since they have David Tennant on this version as well, a very good casting decision on their part.

• DV Crawford says:

There isn’t a pilot. It’s completed and they aren’t going to run a pilot but the entire season. The first 2 episodes follow Broadchurch closely but after that the stories diverge, so it’s going to be another nail-biter like Broadchurch was, with a different ending and different killer.

3. awkwardMEOW says:

OMG I need to know who did that cover

4. I will be watching in great glee. I think it will surprise the haters and thrill all of the rest of us.

• laura says:

100% agree with you. I watched 10 times Broadchurch and just can’t wait to watch Gracepoint! David Tennant is totally different from other actors that earn their living playing always the same character or being in gossip columns. He’s immensely talented, versatile, amazing in tv, theatre, cinema, radio and narration, always challenging himself and surprising us!

5. Rose says:

yes, of course, I will be watching….
    Broadchurch was just awesome and it looks like this could well be awesome also…

6. Shell says:

Of course. The more I watch trailers the more I get used to David Tennant’s American accent. It’s a good story. The ending will be different. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Fox doesn’t cancel it half way through. ☺️

7. RD says:

Nope, won’t be watching this. I already saw Broadchurch: it was fantastic. The twists in the story are now spoiled for me. And I don’t like Tennant’s fake American accent, good as it is. I find it makes him sound not genuine, and it takes me out of the story; I might have had a different attitude if I had never seen the original, might even get used to his US accent after a while (with effort).
    I would definitely encourage those persons who find British accents hard to understand to not miss it, as they will likely never watch the original. I don’t have any trouble with accents personally, and don’t understand why some people have so much difficulty, but I do believe them when they say they cannot understand. To them I say, WATCH! A very affecting story on a lot of levels, with great characters.

• Kasey Goade says:

They have already stated countless times that it is going to have a different ending. Things are supposed to change after the first two episodes. Also while I prefer his natural Scottish accent (I mean come on it’s beautiful) I will not let his American accent deter me from watching (I think he sounds good).

• Did you not read that Gracepoint diverges from Broadchurch after the second episode? So, the twists will be different as will the ending. But, since you refuse to watch it, you’ll never know. Regarding Mr. Tenannt’s accent, do you also have a problem with the other dialects he employs in his stage work, television shows, radio plays and audio books? He’s an Emmy winning VO artist, renowned for his abilities. I’ve shown people, all in the US, the trailers and the ones who didn’t know who David Tennant was, were surprise when they learned that he wasn’t an American.

I find it ironic, and quite hypocritical, that you’re telling people to watch Gracepoint, yet refuse to do so yourself. Well, it’s your loss. As a fan of Mr. Tennant and Broadchurch (which I’ve seen four times), I will be glued to the TV come October.

• dman6015 says:

Did you like his fake British accent in Doctor Who? He’s Scottish, not British, so his accent in Doctor Who was as fake as his American accent is in Gracepoint.

• Bella Garcia says:

So is there a problem with employing accents that are not “real”? I mean there are a lot of British/Scottish etc… actors that play American roles. They are paid to pretend to be someone they are not…. I think David Tennant was awesome in pretty much anything I’ve seen him in. Regardless of the accent.

• Scottish people *are* British. Tennant used an Estuary English accent for his role as the Doctor.

8. The cover song (“Mad World”) is performed by Susan Boyle.

The first two episodes of Gracepoint will stay pretty much blow-by-blow alongside Broadchurch. Chris Chibnall, creator of Broadchurch AND Gracepoint, made this decision because he wanted to establish the tone of both dramas in the same way. But Chibnall always had an alternative ending in mind for Broadchurch – one he ultimately decided not to use – and in Gracepoint, he gets to bring that ending to life.

It’s a way for us, the viewers, to experience both of Chibnall’s visions for his drama. We’ve seen what he did with the first one, and I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the second.

And you know…….Hamlet’s been around for well over 400 years now and people are STILL performing it. Thank goodness we didn’t decide that Shakespeare’s original was the only one worth watching. :D

All I’m saying is, the proof will be in the pudding. There’s no sense dismissing something out of hand because of preconceived ideas. Watch. THEN decide.

9. Meredith says:

Not to take anything away from the original, but I am super excited to watch this! I think I can enjoy both without comparing them to each other. Give it a chance naysayers!

10. Gabi says:

How come everyone has different names except Ellie Miller? Even David Tennant’s character has a different name. If you are going to change the names of the characters you change the name of every single character.

11. fayedigi says:

I will be watching. I watched Broadchurch and really liked it so I am not sure how this will improve it but if it really does diverge than that is something. By the way I love the song “Mad World.”

12. Christie says:

I CANNOT wait to see this!! Broadchurch was so good and David Tennant is just amazing!! I will be watching to see this brilliant and sexy man, doing what he does best!

13. Tinamarie WI says:

This tease trailer is certainly better than the last but unfortunately it has only confirmed how inadequate Tennant’s American accent is. It’s not awful but certainly underprepared and I think below the standard of what is required of a non-US lead actor in a high profile show such as this. I imagine he didn’t have sufficient time to prepare adequately and perhaps didn’t get his ear in early enough when the shoot started. Too late now, but they could have ADR’d the earlier scenes such as the press conference where it noticeably misses the mark. The lack of attention to detail is what separates out average from good productions when the other elements are all there (good actors, good script, good photography).

I’ll still probably watch as this doesn’t appear now to be the trainwreck the doomsayers predicted but might have to wince and mute some of Tennant’s dialogue heavy scenes. Pity that he hasn’t been able to pull off a convincing accent for this but fingers crossed that it improves during the course of the show. The risk is that this will immediately alienate viewers and become a focus of criticism, rather than looking at the other better elements in the show.

• Ann says:

Such a big opinion on so very little evidence. There is no standard American accent. The south , Massachusetts, California, Texas, the Midwest, New York all have very different sounds and as a person moves from area to area they pick up some of everywhere they’ve been…..so which American accent are you comparing Mr. Tennant’s to? Yes, he’s supposed to be in California, but he is a stranger to the town, hard to tell where the character got his accent. I myself will wait until I see the program to make any opinion of the actor’s preparedness for the role.It has been my experience that David Tennant is always a very prepared actor, many times he has been the best thing in a struggling production, but he always shines. I will definitely miss his English and Scottish accents in comparison to the duller American accent that we have here, but we musn’t blame our blandness on Mr Tennant.

14. awkwardMEOW says:

Uh… that’s not Susan Boyle. It’s the same tempo as her cover but that voice is def not her.