Extant Gets Later Wednesday Time Slot

Extant New Time Slot

Following two consecutive weeks of ratings declines, CBS’ Extant is getting a new (and improved?) launching pad.

Beginning with this Wednesday’s episode, the sci-fi-tinged summer series will air an hour later, at 10/9c, leading out of Criminal Minds repeats.

VIDEO Person of Interest Season 4 Trailer Teases Changed World, New Identities

CBS earlier this summer pulled off a similar switcheroo, placing the new Sunday series Reckless after the established drama Unforgettable. That swap stabilized Reckless‘ numbers while also boosting the Poppy Montgomery starrer.

VIDEO CBS’ Scorpion Stars Talk the Genius’ Weakness, Terminator-as-Lou Grant — Plus: Kat McPhee Sings for Us

At last tally, Extant with its third episode drew 6.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, down a good 30 percent from its debut.

1. Moment says:

I hope for the fans of the show this move helps it. This move does suggest it’s being given one last chance by CBS to succeed.

• nanaki seto says:

Sadly one last chance after only 2 episodes. Doubt we will see a full season 1 let alone any additional seasons.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Makes no difference in my house since I DVR almost everything. I’m enjoying it and the mystery is getting more and more interesting.

• Elyse says:

is it worth watching? I haven’t had time to check it out yet because my DVR so is full and I’m trying to get caught up.

• wrstlgirl says:

It’s a little slow but the mystery is good enough for me to stick with it. It also has a bit of a creepy factor, their son is very strange :-)

3. TVOnline says:

I dvr everything so it never matters what time anything comes on unless its nfl, nba, etc. Extant’s last two episodes were quite boring. The last episode got moving in the last 5 minutes or so. Maybe that’s a sign of things to come. I’ll try one more episode before I remove it from dvr season pass. Same with usa’s satisfaction. I’ll give it one more shot this week. pretty boring so far.

• wrstlgirl says:

I really like Matt Passmore but Satisfaction just looked awful so I didn’t even go there. Did I make the right decision? I do like Rush. Everyone was comparing it to Royal Pains but Rush and Hank are nothing alike.

4. Wendy says:

I’m loving Extant!
    It’s a slow burn thriller, but it is a thriller. Very interesting and creepy!
    I’m also loving Reckless, which is the opposite of Extant, it’s fast paced and exciting and requires you to pay attention to the simultaneously quick moving 4 threads.
    Under the Dome is a bit of a turd though, isn’t it? Guess CBS can’t be doing it all right!

5. GuessWhat says:

So far I’ve stuck with it — but it’s pretty boring.
    CBS will just burn it off as ratings continue to decline.
    Hopefully they filmed a fitting final ep and not some cliffhanger that leads to no answers after cancellation.

• Moment says:

It won’t be burned off. It’ll continue to air weekly, much like Reckless(Which is rating far lower) is doing. Both Reckless and Extant will be canceled with their current numbers, without a doubt.

6. Raymond says:

Instead of changing its time slot, why don’t they change its writing staff? Who would’ve believed that a show dealing w. outer space, and produced by Steven Spielberg could be such a snooze?? Check-out Falling Skies as a comparison…

• David4 says:

Yeah because Falling Skies is a work of art….

• Raymond says:

I fell asleep twice during episodes of Extant. Falling Skies may not be 2001: A Space Odyssey, but at least it keeps me awake. There’s about as much action in Extant as watching paint dry.

• Falling Skies gets much worse and worse each season though… Extant, while slow, has been keeping my attention MUCH more easily than this season of FS.

• wrstlgirl says:

I have to agree. I used to look forward to it every week but now I’m just watching so I can see how they end it. The whole Lexi story line is beyond stupid.

• Raymond says:

Oh, I definitely agree that the Lexi storyline on Falling Skies IS “beyond stupid.” lol But the rest of it continues to interest me. Col. Weaver is a great character, and new character Sara’s (Mira Sorvino) scenes with Pope are pretty amusing.

• wrstlgirl says:

Raymond ` agreed. I got invested in a lot of these characters so I will stick with it until the end to see where they end up. I pretty much love most all the characters, Weaver, Pope, Hal, etc. but the Lexi thing is just ugh. I hope they can bring it around for the final season.

• Raymond says:

I’m sure that the humans will vanquish the aliens in next summer’s conclusion. But wouldn’t it be a great kick-in-the-pants if the ALIENS are the victors?! lol

• Tess says:

To be fair, I think Steven Spielberg has stepped back a bit from Falling Skies this season, and they have a new showrunner too who decided on breaking the 2nd Mass apart the way they did, which has really killed the show’s momentum. The first 3 seasons of the show were much better than what the 4th has been thus far.

As for Extant, I thought the first episode was boring and slow till the end of that episode – but that ending was just enough to get me to watch the following week and I have found that the last two episodes had just enough to keep me interested too. Sure it’s a tad slow, and if this were a Fall season show, it would likely not get a chance to even finish the season based on that (so few people seem to be willing to let a sci-fi show build up when they attempt them on the networks), but it’s the summer and there’s not a lot on so you’d think it’d get more of a chance for that reason (pretty much why I stuck with it after the first episode). They claim a lot of people are watching via dvr or online so if that’s the case, then how much will the time shift effect the ratings? It could just cause people who have read about it changing timeslots to think the show’s not worth getting into since the network doesn’t have much confidence in it…

• Moment says:

Changing the writing staff isn’t a short term solution. Changing the slot is. The ratings at the moment are dreadful, and with most, if not all of Extants episodes now filmed, it won’t change things for the better.

• Raymond says:

Ah, I see… Well, since the whole season is already filmed, then unless it really picks up steam in the coming weeks, I can’t imagine changing its time slot will help. It really is amazing to me that the combination of Steven Spielberg and outer space, could result in a show where basically NOTHING HAPPENS! lol

7. Rusty says:

The show was doomed from the start. They hoped that with a name star it would help it. Bad writing and a really shaky storyline didn’t help. The kid and his creator (dad) are both too creepy. The robot kid already doesn’t do what he is programed for, makes its own decisions and acts like a serial killer in training, trapping small animals… very creepy. They should shelve it now and make room for something better like… old reruns of Mr. Ed. At least the horse had better lines and acting skills.

8. CountryQueen says:

I hope they air all 13 episodes. Is that really a hard thing to accomplish in the summer? Let those of us that want to watch, watch. I’m not watching it in hopes of a 2nd season – the opposite in fact. I’m watching ‘cuz I know it’s suppose to have an ending (you know, like Under the Dome was until CBS decided it was a hit).

I don’t care if it’s slow now, it reminds me a bit of Close Encounters – which didn’t have much action in the beginning. Patience will pay off – I just know it. ::being optimistic:: :)

9. taahimar says:

DVR. I watch The Bridge at 10pm.

10. christine says:

I find the show very boring and I am not a Berry fan. I hope the move helps the ratings for the fans that DO enjoy it.

11. TvPeong says:

I am really enjoying the show, and I hope that CBS sticks with it for the whole 13 episode run.

12. joe says:

acting is terrible…story makes no sense…who the heck greenlights this balnoey?

13. CM says:

All fiction (and really bad fiction at that) and little to no science.

If this story was to be about the robot son (the most boring aspect of the show), they shouldn’t have sold it as coming back from space pregnant (the “was to be cool” aspect of the show).

A really cool sci-fi idea, basically mis-advertised to the audience, being handled by a creative staff that knows next to nothing about sci-fi.

The time shift will not bring back those who left. It’s to try and stop the bleeding.

14. R.O.B. says:

This show is absolutely terrible. Hate to say it. The relationship between the two main characters is completely fake, the husband is basically Mr. Rogers, and the series is rife with cliches. Halle Berry is getting nothing to chew on here. Her role seems to be to make worried doe-eyed faces. My boss implants fertilized eggs in my uteris while I am sleeping? Worried doe-eyed face. Seeing ghosts? Worried doe-eyed face. Strange geometric shapes pushing their way out of my stomach? Make a wide-eyed worry face and go pack to the party. Way too cheesy. You could have queso night at your house watching a double feature of Extant and Under the Dome.

15. herman1959 says:

Wow, I can’t believe how many comments here are about a different show – a time change won’t help that. Despite reservations, I will stick with the show as there is little else on (that I watch) for the next two months. CBS should show all 13 episodes of Extant ; what else do they have to replace it?

16. Alienate says:

I’m already gone. 2 eps was more than enough to turn me off.

17. Evelyn says:

This is a very good show. There great actors in it. I have enjoyed it since it aired.

18. Nahla says:

The producers exécutive producers doré tor dont seem to réalise that Halle Berry is gone car bryone yesterdays news nobody like her in the first place and no body likes her after her béat down with Gabriel in her drive au. Halle has no acting dkillsand Halle is like1962Haĺe cant star in anything and e le t it to to big box office or big TV Halle only don an oscar because some ody paid some big cash and at that moment thought oh legs do something for her black race so We can get more people in her ghetto status to to to Theo ies that us exactĺt try and thousands of people have stated this halle has a nasty attitude to are anyone she thinks is a threat to her or any one period, Halle cannot hold the audience attention, halle Berry is sagaie as they Côme and a real trouble maker for m’en Halle forcés her attention on every man and practicall y forcés the m’en to bé with her. Many know this to bé fact No body wants to watch her crap

19. gale P. says:

I hope the series CBS’ Extant continues……. love it. This is a SYFI I can really get into. It is more for adults than for kids and the later time period will be better. Please tell CBS…keep Extant!!!!!!

Gale P from Maryland