Comic-Con

Person of Interest Season 4 Trailer Teases Changed World, New Identities

“The world has changed,” declares… well, a mystery woman played by Cara Buono in the first trailer for Season 4 of CBS’ Person of Interest.

RELATED Person of Interest Season 4 Adds Mad Woman Cara Buono

The Mad Men alumna bookends the preview — which premiered at the San Diego Comic-Con — appearing in scenes with In Plain Sight‘s Fred Weller. But it’s the video’s meaty middle that you came for, a thrilling melange of Season 3 highlights plus plenty of brand-new footage, including Sam and Root lying low in a chic department store, Elias looking none too happy to see Reese again, and Root warning Harold that a war is at hand, “so pick a side.”

After all, she notes, their enemy has endless resources, while Team Machine has… actually, that’s a line best experienced first-hand. Listen for it.

RELATED Person of Interest Season 3 Finale Recap: Lucky Seven

POI returns Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 10/9c.

1. JC says:

Thanks for posting, Matt. I hope you guys get to interview the cast. Next season looks really good.

• ScrubsGuy says:

“Just promise me John’s a barista.” Oh how I’ve missed you PoI. Not feeling the Cara Buono character though. Any news on what happened at the panel? No one seems to be doing very much panel coverage this year (or basically nothing interesting has happened).

• Jane says:

At least it looks that way to you. Season 4 looks like a snore-fest on top of more bad plotlines and Shaw showing off her body for the male viewers. It’s just sad.

2. tjchurch2001 says:

Looks good… Except I was kind of hoping the war against HR ending & Taraji gone meant we would get rid of Fusco in the new season.

• Liz says:

Don’t Mess with the FUSCO!

• tjchurch2001 says:

Slight correction: No mess like the Fusco! It’s funny; I recognized him leading the villains on the old “Leverage” episode “The Beantown Bailout Job” about the same time the show killed-off Taraji, & that confirmed for me there was no need to do that; Even when on-screen, his character appears dead. (He had no such problem on “Leverage”.)

• tjchurch2001 says:

How did you get here, then?! I loved the Fusco too, until I saw what he added to the show, which was repeatedly (read: “always”) a negative element &/or the equivalent of a naptime or commercial break!

• I think Fusco adds several positive elements to the cast and story. Hope he never leaves.

• tjchurch2001 says:

I agree he adds a positive element: Time to use the bathroom or get snacks, so you don’t miss Root, Shaw, Finch, Reese, guests like Camryn & Enrico… Well, basically anyone but him who is worth watching

• Moment says:

One of the most likable things about Fusco is that he’s just a regular guy. Being a cop aside, he doesn’t have the skills of Reese or Shaw, or the knowledge of Root or Finch, but he’s there when you need him, and he puts across a very real performance.

• tjchurch2001 says:

I like that the character is just a regular guy, but would prefer he were played by a decent actor… So many others on the cast (“regulars” & guests) are good, so you’d think they’d hire someone high-talent/high-quality, not someone wanting to be an actor in Times Square, as he appears to be (perhaps due to naturally being compared to the rest of them).

• Jane says:

They should find a way to bring Taraji back and get the show back to what was actually good about it.

3. Ha…Root and Shaw’s “cover” job and the Black Angel’s Young Men Dead playing during the preview. Can’t wait for the new season to start.

4. This is gonna be epic. Also awesome using of The Black Angels -Young Men Dead. Was bad ass when True Detective used it and now POI.

5. Wow! Fantastic preview of what’s to come! Can’t wait!!

6. Coal says:

Sara Shahi is gorgeous.

• Skittles&Bits says:

Isn’t she? She moves like a dancer. I love her and John’s dynamic. Can’t wait for POI S4 to premiere.

• BrittBrat says:

She used to be a Dallas Cowboys’ Cheerleader lol!

I can’t wait for this show to come back!
        I also love Fusco and Bear.

7. GeoDiva says:

Can’t wait!

8. NIKHIL says:

Cant wait for the next season…

9. Roz12 says:

I got goose pimples watching this. And Elias, yay! I hope Fusco is still part of the team, I need him too.

• tjchurch2001 says:

I don’t know/recall who Elias is… But I agree we need Fusco to be there; Mainly so he can get shot like Taraji did… In his death scene, there will be no changes, as every scene he’s been in, his acting is literally stiff as a board. (Ironic, since I also become bored every time he’s on the show.)

10. Kel says:

Looks amazing. So different for network TV. Love it. And I heard on the panel they are trying to get Zoe back! Can’t wait for the season to star!!!

11. jm says:

5 (Shaw, Root, John, Harold & Fusco), 6 if u count the dog. Hilarious!!!
    What happend with the little army Root got at the end of last season, she didnt mention them

• Louise says:

The end of the promo talks about Root’s little army — and we saw one of the guys get killed right in this promo.

• Oh, no. The guy the new character shot at the end and the two she mentioned would die in minutes were the three computer whizzes who helped Root make the addition to Samaritan ? The thought crossed my mind but they had been included in the identity cloaking device that Root installed.

• JC says:

Not true. The promo doesn’t talk about Roots people and that guy that dies in the promo is not one of them.

• Moment says:

Yep, basically because of what Team Root did, anytime Samaritan identifies them in the street, or in a building etc. It’s now programmed to basically ignore them.

But you can be sure that Decima will encounter them, and upon investigating, discover what Root has done. That will be when the plot comes to ahead.

12. DougMac says:

Why doesn’t Fred Weller get more work? He’s fantastic.

Also count me on the pro Fusco team too.

13. Liz says:

This is fantastic! I’m not happy I pressed ‘play’ – now I definitely can’t wait any longer!

14. Missy Kelly says:

Was happy to see Frederick Weller – was sad to see the gun. Hope he isn’t the opening chomp. He should have a series! As to POI – bring it on. It’s one of the few shows that I isn’t on continuously. September will come around hopefully the wait will go by quickly.

15. Brandy says:

YES. So excited for this. I wish Carter was still able to somehow fit into the mix though. I still think the show is really missing her, but I really do love the direction it’s taken.

16. DanielleZ says:

The POI Season 4 trailer looks great. I can’t wait! It’s always nice seeing actors from The Wire on this series. “Bill Rawls” was in this trailer and did I just see “Marlo Stanfield” (Jamie Hector)?

17. liz says:

Fingers crossed for some Shaw/Root romance this season!!

• tahina says:

Never thought of that, now I’m intrigued! They have that chemistry, can’t explain it, love/hate thing. :)

• Ben says:

I really don’t think any combination of the major characters really need to have a romance. I just don’t feel as though the show really needs to go there. I can’t deny Root/Shaw spark. So do Shaw/John. But I think the show has had success on the romance front by having them have relationships with people who are not a part of their team, and I feel as though that works better.

18. LaBete says:

Thanks for posting this! POI looks better than ever this year. I can’t wait for it to begin.

19. Kristina says:

Can’t wait!

20. TraciTV says:

My favorite show after 24. I love the way they have constantly updated the show to not only reflect the times we are living in but also more it along so it doesn’t get stale. Season 4 looks Amazing?

21. Rich Abey says:

That was one awesome trailer and all it has done is getting my interest in Season 4 back upto stratospheric levels!

22. Sam says:

I will not watch POI any longer.
    TPH was fired by ignorant and arrogant showrunners. Shaw still sucks BIGTIME. The war between the two machines continues to bore me to death. But to each it’s own.

The fact that actually nearly no one talks about this show online shows me that i’m not alone.

It hurts to see a good show die…

• Jake says:

Taraji wasn’t fired, her character was supposed to end that way, regardless of who was playing the part.

• Jane says:

You are so right Sam! Shaw sucks big time, and the ratings have been going down since she came. Her only contribution is looking nice for the camera, but that’s just not enough. Maybe if this were a magazine, but not for a series where acting skills are required. The whole machine stuff is crazy too, plus no Carter. This is bad.

23. Sam says:

And speaking of that Trailer!
    Was that all they got? It was plain and simple awful and didn’t hold my interest to return to my once favorite show. They have ruined it completely. As for that trailer:

Longest.Five.Minutes.Ever!!!

24. Jane says:

This looks like it’s going to be bad. I would ask what happened to this show, but I know that. They killed of Carter and it hasn’t been good since. The addition of Shaw has been a nightmare and Sarah Shahi’s acting leaves so much to be desired. Then the plotlines of the show are so bad. It’s all machines and weirdness. Way to ruin what used to be a quality show.

• lll says:

It’s not so much Sarah Shahi’s acting, it’s the character of Sam/Samantha/Sameen Shaw. The producers worked all season to make Shaw soft and likeable since the bachlash of episodes “Relevance” and “The Crossing.” The producers are to blame for throwing Taraji under the bus for Sarah (and they had the nerve to admit it). I am not feeling the rage against the machines either, but I get the feeling they are starting over after the Joss Carter fiasco. We’ll see if it works.

• tjchurch2001 says:

There is nothing wrong with Shaw, or Sarah’s look or ability to portray the character. If anything, the sole problem in the female side was getting rid of Taraji/Carter.

Here is how you fix that: Much the way you had the storyline last year with Manheim, Rubinek, & the other Machine, introduce something new this season that can alter a person to someone close to them. With a snap of fingers, the return of Carter & the loss (a gain for the show) of Fusco!!

25. Person of Interest will continue its downward ratings spiral and should be canceled says:

The one thing the writers, producers, CBS and Warner Brothers cannot do is force viewers to watch Person of Interest. They can hire people to writer positive comments and refute negative observations, but they cannot make anyone like the show or appreciate its direction and casting. Ratings are the name of the game, and come this fall, Person of Interest will be
    GAME OVER. Nolan, Plageman and associated minions will lose this battle to a ratings machine.