NBC to Air Crossbones' Final Two Episodes On a Saturday Night

Crossbones Cancelled

Ahoy! There’s been a change in course for Crossbones‘ final two episodes.

RELATED Fall Preview 2014: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Premieres

NBC has announced that following this Friday’s regularly scheduled outing, the pirate drama’s final two episodes will drop anchor on a Saturday night — Aug. 2, starting at 8/7c.

Occupying Crossbones‘ Friday-at-10 pm time slot on Aug. 1 (aka my birthday, gift cards are always welcome) will be the NBC News special Hannah Anderson: Anatomy of a Kidnapping, while a second hour of Dateline will fill the void on Aug. 8.

RELATED NBC’s Grimm Locks Up OITNB Actress for Mysterious Arc

Starring two-time Academy Award nominee John Malkovich (no relation, I think), Crossbones premiered in June to 4.9 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating. At last tally, it was mustering exactly half of that.

1. androme3 says:

Happy (upcoming) Birthday, Matt. :-)

2. CBWBDK1 says:

This show is just meh, nothing special. I’d rather watch black sails season 1 again.

3. So that’s how you kill Blackbeard. You make a TV show about him and schedule it on Friday night.

4. Mari A says:

Ugh. Another cancellation?! Really? I’m tired if them cancelling good shows. At least this one got a semi good run. Whomever has Nielsen box is probably 79 years old and not watching all these shows.

• Moment says:

The numbers were horrendous, even for NBC. But Hannibal fans can look on the bright side, Crossbones poor performance has made its numbers look quite good. I’m sure it’ll have that slot for years to come.

• Debbie says:

not boring. good show.

• Mark Rodgers says:

Amen to that. Blackbeard was well acted with clever story lines. Loved the setting as well.

• Andrew Mckim says:

I don’t get it. I just found out they cancelled this show. Is it possible that it’s to clever for regular folk. Sadly I think this is the case. The dialogue was too clever for the masses of idiots clamoring for some ridiculous reality dance competition or other such nonsense.

• Guest says:

Agrred

• Ed says:

Walking Dead is still on air…which started off good then got to be painful to watch, with Daryl being the only good character. So how is it that with this cast, script, and originality anddd John Malkovich that this show gets cancelled. They get the nerve to blame it on us viewers when instead they put in a half *** attempt with the time slot and breaks in between and summer! Greed is NBCs game and for that lets all give them a big finger. I will not be watching any more new shows till they are in their 2nd season or higher. I suggest you fellow compatriots do the same. I swear if it wasn’t for Hannibal and Blacklist I’d wash my hands of NBC. Now to see if Blacks Sails is good…
            LONG LIVE BLACKBEARD!

• Robert says:

Well said,Andrew!

• Guest says:

*Agreed… I love auto-correct.

• Sandra says:

I wondered about that, too. I loved the show and thought that it wasn’t for just casual viewers. I’m sorry it’s cancelled, but it did make me more curious to read a biography of Edward Teach, for what they know of his life. John Malkovich did a great job of showing the contrast between the charming Teach and the ruthless pirate he was.

• Az Cats says:

Exactly my thought. The witty banter was escaping the dumbed down masses. John Malkovich was excellent. Loved the setting and wardrobes. Not top notch mind you, but really beats the heck out of watching a bunch of boring re-runs. Maybe CW will get it?

• brian smith says:

Your so right !

• jo says:

You figured it out. Sorry to see this show go.

• josh says:

EXACTLY. Its a show for more intelligent viewers so the #`s r not the best. Crossbones, 24 & Graceland are my favorite shows of 2014 & 2 of them may never be on again. Maybe FX or someone can pick up this show ?

• mewp12 says:

NO they are probably 18 to 35 and have a public school education and can’t understand it.

• No, the problem isn’t senior citizens. It’s the 20-40 somethings with the attention spans of a gnat.

• Cheryl says:

It’s not about age dear I’m 60 and was thrilled with the richness of the settings and action. It’s the inability to acknowledge quality television meant for 9-10 PM viewing bearing talent galore. I agree dear it’s very disheartening to have this taken when so many plot thin, mediocre sets and designs infest the almighty TV.

• Rosemary Butt, Lol, I am almost 79 and I loved the show, BUT. unlike apparently many others, I RECORDED the show, I don’t watch at 10 anymore, I go to bed, but when something looks interesting I record it, and that is what I did with this one, beside what most younger people stay home and watch tv on Friday nites, I agree with one of the early posters, friday nites most of the time is a killer, To bad it won’t be on next year, but I figured that by watching the last show.

• Gail Bencivenga says:

I agree with you!

5. wrstlgirl says:

Not a surprise. It’s pretty boring.

• Ed says:

Your response is a horrendous bore. That said…Only reason it got cancelled was NBCs fault for very poor time slot. Also their “views” do not count online viewing and dvrs. BRING BACK CROSSBONES YOU SOB

• Sandra says:

Advertising wasn’t very good, either. At the beginning, before the show aired, there was a good bit, but after that I didn’t see much, but maybe I missed it. Really good show that got the boot like some others in the past. Setting was great, wardrobe, music and I love history so it suited me to a T. Not boring at all!

• Vince says:

I didn’t even know it existed until I randomly came across it on Hulu. I just finished the last two episodes, noticed they aired on the same day and decided to look it up to see if it was just the end of the first season or if the show was cancelled. Lame. Hope it gets picked up elsewhere.

• Ed, I wondered if this was the case, They really losing out on a lot of good shows if the 0nly way they count, are the people watching during the regular time slot. If so they really should change the method of collecting information on watched shows. I would let maybe 2-3 shows accumulate on DVR before watching, but at least I did get to see all of them.

6. laurelnev says:

Happy Birthday, Matt. You’re in an honorable Aug 1 Birthday club. (I turn 50 on Aug 1 this year, as does Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows.) Jerry Garcia and Robert Cray, amongst others, are also Aug 1 babies. Lots of creative types born on that day. :)

7. Tran says:

Looks like Crossbones is on the verge of getting canceled or in other words: walking the plank.

8. Carla Krae says:

NBC, stop being cowards! It’s summer TV. Let something have time to GROW. Crossbones is great. I love the nuances.

• Moment says:

You can’t blame NBC because no one is watching the show. Also you can’t attack NBC for not allowing a show to grow, it has a great deal going with Hannibal.

• holy cow, Hannibal, I had never heard of it, so I went on line to see what it was about, Ya gotta have a deviant mind to watch that stuff, I wouldn’t even watch the movie and I love the people who starred in it, but I would watch another and another season of Crossbones if they had one, like others I certainly hope some other station will pick it up. and YES, I can blame NBC for being so short signted, plus I think I only watch about 3 NBC shows anyway so it isn’t going to bother me to not watch them, Parenthood another of my shows, but I understand after 5-6 seasons, you run out of ideas and interest, so I am ok with it retiring.

• Guest says:

My sentiments exactly. It’s summer, on a weekend night. I DVR this show. I wonder if others like myself were included in the audience total? I don’t faithfully watch many shows on the “Big 3″, but this one actually swayed me. I’ll now go back to cable programming, as there is little left in their program offerings.

• some one earliers said no, they don’t pay any attention if people record, too bad, cause I hit the sack at 10 and record ALL after 10 shows, and I record a whole bunch, thats why I got the new DVR on Discover, I can now record 4 shows at once and if need be can watch another channel. at the same time.

9. robinepowell says:

Not surprised to hear it’s been canceled. I only watched the pilot and lost interest right after.
    It doesn’t help that NBC aired two episodes and then waited three weeks for the next episode.

10. Diz says:

I like it, but it has lost some steam. I hope it has an actual ending.

11. tjchurch2001 says:

Those are GOOD ratings for any Friday-night show, & especially for NBC!! (Found myself watching downloaded Leno repeats Thursday night because their actual talk-shows’ guests sucked!!)

12. Patrice says:

I love this show, and am totally bummed about its cancellation. I enjoy any program with an element of history in it, if the ratings were tanking, than NBC s/have repeated it on other nights, the way they do with Law & Order. The only issue I had with this show was Mr. Malkovich’s accent, he s/have had a better linguist assist in an English accent, but I love him as an actor.

Shame on NBC for not promoting the show more.

• mike dobey says:

blackbeard was a American actually. although America was part of the uk in 1717. or so. the real blackbeard lived in south Carolina.

13. Megan R says:

So the half that still watch it have to suffer I only watch this and parenthood. So as soon as parenthood gets cancelled I will not watch nbc anymore!

14. Anna says:

REALLY? Why, it is a good show? Why bother watching a NBCs show if they cancel it as soon as you start loving it… wasted my time again…

• Pretty much agrees, this has done it for me with network shows…all of them. I’ll stick to FX, AMC. OLN, TTN, SciFi, Bravo, HBO, Showtime, screw the network and the fecked up Nielson’s, NO MO NBC, CBS, ABC or FOX

15. Garbage stays on, good get canned. NBC is the absolute worst. I will never trust them or invest any time watching their programs. Every time I give an NBC show a chance it gets canceled. NBC is off my list for good.

16. lisa john says:

Please don’t cancel crossbones .dat will be crazy , it is by far 1 of the best series I watched in ages.tnk god for crossbones n wen is season 2 comin out.

17. Kim says:

So sick of goo dshows being canceled! Here’s another! Excellent Cast! Excellent story!! Love the visual! Like no other show currently on TV! but again!! Canceled! Didn’t even consider changing it to another night! My brother made the comment to me the other day when I was telling him about the show – he said he just doesn’t really get into TV shows any longer because of the stations canceling good shows unexpectedly! He hates getting drawn in and then being disappointed. I feel exactly the same way! This is horrible! and the replacement! Really!!!!!

18. Debbie says:

Why does NBC bring out shows then cancel as soon as you like it. I am tired of this. Love Crossbones. Loved revolution. Stop cancelling good shows and always keeping all the garbage reality shows. Tired of it..

19. mike dobey says:

it was a decent show. there wasn’t a lot of action in it though.
    It was a drama. And even worse they put it on Friday night. it should have been on Thursday it would have done better.

• Claire says:

I totally disagree with you. It was much more than just a decent show. There was plenty of action but you had to dig a little deeper to feel it since was very much character driven. If NBC is stupid enough to cancel it, I hope it gets picked up by a cable channel, then it would be even edgier. Too edgy for network TV and the dimwits that run it.

20. Laurie Potter says:

I really like CrossBones and look forward to something to watch other than reality housewives and talk shows or pawn shops or blah blah blah. Bring it back.

21. cl says:

Too bad… I have enjoyed watching Crossbones this summer. The fun summertime shows always get a bad review and the original time slot was not a good choice. It was cast perfectly too! Good job!

22. Angela says:

Wow! NBC always cancels the good shows. I guess I will not fall for watching anymore of their shows. Airing the show in summer on a friday night was a silly idea for any show to premier. Hopefully, they will realize they had a great show and give Crossbones another try!!

• tjchurch2001 says:

While I am/was a fan (& assume you also were/are), I can’t disagree more. Airing on a Summer weekend gave it a great chance to find the most fans it possibly could.

However, the time-slot is the same reason expectations for those ratings should have been lower. Also, another great idea was airing it as a mini-series, not a full-season show (a mistake they previously attempted with “The Sing-Off”).

23. GEORGE says:

SORRY YOU CANCELLED CROSS BONES. NO WAY IM WATCHING THE STUPID REPLACEMENTS ON NBC. BAD MOVE ON YOUR PART.

24. NBC hasn’t had a good show in so long that it doesn’t know a good show when it has one. For a summer show Crossbones was good, but of course NBC had to cancel it. Every other show on NBC is awful…its back to CBS, ABC and FOX for me….NBC loses, again.

25. C. Crocker says:

Even though John Malkovitch doesn’t fit the description of Blackbeard which is only one of many known facts about the character, the show is well done and has an excellent ensemble of actors. It’s too bad the average tv viewing tastes are more readily tuned to more plebian fare of sitcoms. Why couldn’t this show be aired on Saturday or Sunday night when there is nothing worth watching offered? I can only hope the show will be picked up by TNT or some other cable station.

26. Rosie says:

Why cancelled?? Great show and cast…this was a great show to look forward to in our mostly talent/reality show studded line up…Night After Night the talent searches…give me pirates with intelligence and wicked action any time

• Nan says:

I REALLY ENJOYED Crossbones! Malkovitch was REALLY good. The Friday night time slot did it no good, but does anyone monitor the “on demand” viewings? If I had a better offer on Friday, I just caught up later. Looking forward to the finale, but not the demise of Crossbones.

27. D J says:

Time for NBC to walk the plank. Give shows a chance and stop skipping weeks and wonder why wr lose it in our rotation. I really enjoyed snd sm out on dumb reality shows. Good by NBC!

28. D J says:

Up yours NBC

29. Corie J says:

Cross Bones was a very entertaining and well-constructed show. The interplay between the characters was fresh and real, with topics exploring morality and ethics. It let the audience take a step back and realize that history is part legend, seen and told from the viewpoint of many alliances. It left room for new insights, and had tons of potential for ongoing story development with each character.

In the pirate genre, there was potential for introducing colorful new characters, and historical tidbits to the island, having passed through many ports. The show could have made ongoing metaphorical references to the founding of a nation, or creating a unique people group from remnants, ex-patriates, non-conformists, or those dis-enfranchised in other ways.

John Malkovitch’s role was well played, and he did not overshadow the other cast members; he set the tone and maintained cohesiveness. His adversaries stayed the course as passionate, flawed, obsessed, and human, not simple, sketchy, villains.

This could have been NBC’s answer to The Black List. They need to know how to let shows grow, and leave the lightweight stuff for Friday nights, Saturdays, especially when people are out during nice weather. They are not invested in the content of their programming.

30. Moria says:

Does it really still matter what night a show is on? I would think most people reading this DVR everything & watch whenever. (I know many older people don’t use DVRs) Grimm was successful on Friday. I think channel is probably more important these days. Like this may have worked better for BBC America or PBS.

31. Shari Abt says:

Watched this on-demand. back to back,4 episodes in a row. totally hooked. can’t believe this is cancelled! NBC cancels good shows and keeps stupid shows!!!! Maybe the trafine(?) should be used to drill a hole in the head of the moron’s who cancelled this! NBC just keeps trying to be the worst network!

32. Helene says:

Really bummed that Crossbones was cancelled. I looked forward to every episode. Why do so many good shows get cancelled ? Not much on anymore worth watching.

33. robyn and Ryan says:

so we just read and found out that there will not be a second season of crossbones! I have no idea why, it was a great show with great writing and great actors… If they were only going to end it so quickly why did they go I had and make it a short seriesI never had made it season 1! Starz has short serious all the time…. but they tell the whole story and you know from the beginning it’s not going to last! Boo, I watch Hannibal too in that sucks compared to crossbones

34. Stephen sweat says:

That’s a shame. Good movie and its not even given a chance to iron out the bugs. Come on NBC. U got to b more patient.

35. LEG says:

I am sad to hear that Cross Bones has been cancelled…ah but we still have all of those reality shows…and the Kardashian’s are still in production if you still hunger for quality and entertaining TV!! It’s all about production cost, and I’m sure that Cross Bones was expensive because it required real actors, writers, and set production…most reality shows only need camera crew and production staff if ‘guide’ each episode in the right direction…believe me, there are no such things as unscripted reality shows!

36. Angela says:

I’ll go on record as stating I really liked this show. The writing was extremely intelligent. Probably why many found it boring. Your brains couldn’t comprehend the verbiage because the writing wasn’t dumbed down. The sets and costumes were excellent. NBC will come up with another dumb and dumber reality show so people don’t have to concentrate and think at the same time

37. Disappointed that this series is ending!

38. Robin Hillyer-Miles says:

But I love this show! It’s well acted with great plot lines and gorgeous costumes and scenery.

39. jeremy says:

They cancel every show I like

40. NBC YOU GUYS MADE A BIG MISTAKE!!!! this is one of the most intelligent, clever shows i’ve ever seen! I could listen to the characters talk all day, it’s so compelling. BOO YOU NBC for giving it a bad time slot! Really, Friday night? Were you planning for rating failure? Does anyone even watch TV on Friday? Maybe it’s because the idiotic masses can’t handle such intelligence on TV. John Malkovich is a beast and Richard Coyle is cunning and together the show is fantastic. It was not boring at all it was exquisitely written, gripping, clever and a great setting. Thumbs way down to NBC. tsk tsk.

41. Mark Stephanski says:

I totally agree! Crossbones is a really good smart well paced show with great acting and storylines. Malkovich is simply PHENOMINAL I’m assuming there’s some reality competition show that just HAS to take its place. Terrible move NBC

42. Aaron says:

Crossbones is a really good show. I think it’s better than black sails. If were to show on say Tuesday or Wednesday, instead of the weekend the ratings would most likely double. Remember, people tend to step out on weekends.

43. Kyle Richmond says:

Boycot nbc bring back crossbones and I will not boycot nba I will tell people to do so till thay bring it back

44. Bela T says:

Hey ED….. Have you heard what NBC is going to do to The Blacklist? FIRST they are going to premiere the season 2 episode on the scheduled Monday….THEN it’s switching over to Thursday nights, but OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…that won’t happen until the second episode of season 2 plays after the Superbowl! If NBC think’s I’M going to stick around for that.. they are mistaken, and I don’t care how good of a show this is. This is exactly why I hate network tv, and just stick to cable shows. Disappointed NBC decided to cancel this. But comparing it to Black Sails, there really is no comparison, that show totally rocks!

45. Kelly says:

I liked Crossbones! I watched it faithfully. So sad.

46. mewp12 says:

I love this show. It actually has some intelligence behind it. Perhaps that is why the American public doesn’t like it. It might make them think.

47. Chris C. says:

This show is a very interesting show. I watch it every Friday night like clock work. The setting I awesome the different accents of the characters and the dialog is very different h
    than anything on today and I am sorry to see it go hope they bring it back. my favorite shows such as Game of Thrones is soon to be done and Sons of Anarchy’s final season coming up need something good to watch and Crossbones is it.

48. Rob says:

Bla bla bla NBC Drops the ball once again. The shows that you need a modicum of intelligence, NBC show just be replaced with white noise and color bands.

49. Cindy says:

Really liked this show. Hate they cancelled it!!!

50. jo says:

I have so enjoyed this show. I think poor time slot and no advertisement killed this show. You are so wrong to cancel.