Exclusive

ABC's black-ish Makes Bold (Fashion) Statement in Key Art — First Look

Ahead of its Sept. 24 premiere, the cast of ABC’s black-ish is living — or at least photographing — by three simple rules: point, laugh and wear insanely bold colors.

RELATED Fall TV First Impression: black-ish

Stars Anthony Anderson, Tracee Ellis Ross and Laurence Fishburne huddle up with the rest of the upcoming comedy’s cast in TVLine’s exclusive — not to mention colorful, like the family portrait version of an Easter egg hunt — first look at the series’ key art.

Black-ish premieres Wednesday, Sept. 24, at 9:30/8:30c.

Check out the full-length key art below, then drop a comment with your early thoughts on ABC’s upcoming comedy.

Black-ish ABC

1. follow @blackishBTS on Twitter for behind the scenes info!

2. Bruceeff says:

That’s some old school Benetton stuff right there.

3. MattArmando says:

This is bound to work well with MODERN FAMILY, and the rest of the Wednesday night lineup. ABC has finally put another FAMILY-oriented comedy after MODERN FAMILY.

• SuburgatoryFan says:

How would you describe Suburgatory, The Neighbors and How To Live With Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)? they weren’t FAMILY-oriented comedies? just face it, this show is doomed! every show which has aired after Modern Family has been cancelled and history suggests that Black-Ish is no exception.

4. Suhail says:

The wife has crazy eyes.

5. Shunda says:

Why am I experiencing a sudden craving for Skittles?? :-)

6. Suhail says:

What’s with the apostrophe before the “b”, and why is the “b” not capital?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It is meant to look like a dictionary entry. The ‘ denotes the syllable to stress in pronunciation.

• Suhail says:

Okay, thanks for the explanation, this had me bothering for ever since I saw the logo of the show

• Herman1959 says:

To add to Matt’s explanation, it’s prounounced with a slight pause between the first and second syllables. It denotes the meaning “not quite Black” or “not black enough”, hence the show’s premise – hope this helps.

7. Marcus T. says:

White people complaining in the comments section in 3..2..1…

8. Kristina says:

Well some of the cast looks pretty cool–this might be good!

9. Ram510 says:

I will be watching this one for sure but I just don’t think this one is going to make it. It’s gotten a lot negative buzz because of the title and so far I haven’t seen ABC putting together a very good marketing scheme for the show yet. It’s almost as though they already know this isn’t going to be a hit and why waste the advertising dollars on it. Maybe something will change when it gets closer to September

• Herman1959 says:

I’m also feeling this is a little shaky, and I’m still not sure that I’m going to watch it myself.

10. Mindy says:

Looks interesting. I’ll be checking the show out.

11. Gerald says:

Looks like its going to be a great show!!

12. Brigid says:

It looks like a nice family comedy that just might be the key ingredient for a successful ABC Wednesday night comedy block.

13. Iakovos says:

BLACKISH should be the companion MODERN FAMILY has needed fromthe get-go. I love family comedies and this one is well cast with faves I like to watch. I hope ABC stands behind it, and i hope the production team gives us some genuinely funny enjoyable stuff. ABC may finally have a winning Wednesday from top to bottom. THE MIDDLE never lets me down and, tho I do not care for THE GOLDBERGS, it fits the family flow. Maybe TV comedies are taking a turn that is equal parts retro and real?

14. Marci says:

I love Anthony Anderson and Laurence Fishburne and hope this series is a big success. So glad it’s following Modern Family, which will hopefully give it a ratings boost.

15. At the bottom, is should read “It’s not really about color.”

16. mrgjones11 says:

To the point! ..hehehe so excited – can’t hardly wait.

17. gdhdfgdfg says:

bravo

18. Alex says:

Looks like a real stinker, starting with the stupidly stylized title. And I hate the ad–no one wears that sort of clothing combination, let alone an entire family doing it. Dumb. Just plain dumb.

19. monique says:

I hate this on so many levels. Them black people are decorated like clowns. I can NOT believe that Fishburne has stooped to this. I would expect this from Anthony Anderson who is quite two bit and pissed me the hell off when he cracked jokes about autism at Roscoe’s house of chicken and waffles in Hollywood to a fan who wanted a picture with him and her son who was autistic. He started calling the boy lil autistic boy right here. Tracey is odd and Bernie Mac, Cosby show they are not. Not giving it one committed moment. The title sucks. It sends a bad message. Move back everybody these hungry ass desperate ass actors have allowed the industry to one more time take TWO GIANT STEPS BACK into baffoonland. Massa says I is black ish. Boo hiss.

20. mrgjones11 says:

I think the beautiful family portrait is boldlicious!! I love it!!!

21. mrgjones11 says:

I think the family portrait is beautiful and bold-licious!!! Rainbows in every situation – be thankful for all He has done, is doing and going to do.
    #ABC #blackishabc #blackish #black-ish