The Affair Trailer: New Showtime Drama Plays the Memory Game

Memory is a cruel mistress in Showtime’s The Affair.

The provocative new drama explores the the emotional and psychological effects of an extramarital affair between Hamptons waitress Alison (Luther‘s Ruth Wilson) and author Noah (The Wire‘s Dominic West) — but there’s a twist, as glimpsed in the show’s first trailer: The story is told from both Alison and Noah’s unique points of view.

RELATED Showtime Boss Talks Dexter Spin-Off, Happyish Recasting and More

The Affair also stars Joshua Jackson (Fringe) and Maura Tierney (ER) as the cuckolded spouses; it debuts Oct. 19 at 10/9c on the premium cabler.

Press PLAY on the video at the top of the post to get your first glimpse of The Affair.

1. Sheryl says:

Great cast…have loved Dominic West since The Wire!!

2. SJ says:

So, basically… Betrayal: the Cable Version? Yeah, I’ll pass. I don’t know why networks keep churning out these shows and expect us to relate to – or feel sympathetic towards – these characters who are, simply put, cheaters. They’re irredeemable. Period.

3. Tim says:

I LOVE anything to do with illicit affairs—very exciting, can’t wait!

4. Alichat says:

Sooo…Joshua’s character dies? Maura’s character dies? Both die? Murdered?

5. MattArmando says:

Thought it would have a MUCH darker tone to it; more of like a psychological thriller. But, oh well.

6. Cassidy says:

Cuckolded? Well played, Vlada. :)

7. Pattydoo says:

I was excited until I heard it was through Noah and Allison’s POV, which means like his role on Fringe, Josh will be doing NOTHING and will just being the one dimensional husband that he was on Fringe.

Pass.

8. DanielleZ says:

Definitely going to check out The Affair. I like Dominic West from The Wire as well as Maura Tierney. Looks like a good show.

9. Marcos says:

looks boring

10. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I have trouble believing any woman would cheat on Joshua Jackson.

11. Not my usual type of show, but this cast + Showtime. Ill definitely give it a try.

12. Fernanda says:

Dawson’s Creek for adults and Joshua Jackson could be naked in this show? I’m there

13. fangirl says:

I’m sorry, but the casting is a joke even for an adult audience. Joshua Jackson is way too hot for the rest of the cast. I buy Tierney and West as a couple, but West as Jackson’s wife’s lover? In what universe?

14. So far the pilot has excellent reviews from tv critics and all said the cast is excellent, Joshua Jackson is really great and he plays a very different character ( this is for the ones who already start to talk about the lack of screentime for Josh without seeing the episode). Plus Sarah Treem said that, despite the title of the series, the story will be about the two marriages with a mysterious tone of thriller.
    Tv critics expected something like Betrayal, but the Pilot surprised them. It has nothing to do with Betrayal :)

• ISecondThat says:

glad to hear that. I wasn’t excited abt the plot tbh but after the teaser and your comment I’m excited!))

15. M3rc Nate says:

So i guess affairs and cheating is the “in” plot huh? Eh, gross, pass. Now i dont disagree that it can be a great plot device, or even a great human action to be explored….but meh. Not interested. Love Jackson, wish he was going on something i could be excited about.

16. AT says:

What a fabulously edited promotional trailer. The use of music and timing was spot on. Anyway, after reading the comments I want to point out that just because people see the one trope of an affair does not mean that all shows or movies about affairs are the same. Based on the preview, the writing, acting and direction look top notch. It reminds me of “Broadchurch” with an affair in the midst.

• This! Sarah Treem also said that if we keep watching the series we’ll understand that the title “the affair” will become ironic, like she meant that the affair between Noah and Alison is just a tool. There is more to tell. As you said, AT, the affair may be just something in the midst! I really think that will be the case.
      Just think about the trailer that is 90% about the affair. This means that the most important plot is yet to be discovered!

17. M-A says:

does anyone know the song, by any chance ? :-)

18. Tom says:

I am just happy to see Ruth Wilson back on TV! I loved her in Luther so much!

19. Kristina says:

Bummed Joshua Jackson is being wasted in something like this. Ugh.

20. eva garcia says:

Can someone please tell me the name of that intro song they placed on the trailer!!!

21. theo pressley says:

I would like to know the name and artist for the song used in the trailer. Love it! Thanks

22. Chris says:

what is the new song used in the new promo????

23. Carrie says:

The song everyone keeps going on about is ENTIRELY inappropriate to be used to promote this show. Listen to the lyrics its a man singing about his devotion to the Lord. Did the music licensing team not do their research?!!!!