Stalker Boss Rejects Following Comparisons, Stylized Violence Label

Stalker Season 1 Preview

Kevin Williamson wants you to know his new crime drama Stalker (premiering Oct. 1) is not The Following.

While the Kevin Bacon-starrer “was meant to be a popcorn thriller,” the upcoming CBS series, like much of the network’s lineup, “is a crime drama,” Williamson said Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “This is a procedural. It’s a totally different show. It’s eerie. It’s creepy. It’s suspenseful.”

RELATED Fall TV First Impression: CBS’ Stalker

Despite Williamson’s past work, which also includes the Scream horror flicks, and Stalker‘s flashy violent opening act – intended in part to help the pilot get picked up, he admitted – the auteur rejected the idea that he’s known for stylized violence.

Instead, he said, he seeks out emotional beats.

“I’m looking for my Dawson’s Creek montage at the end of every episode,” he said. (Hence a Michelle Branch cover of “Creep” over Stalker‘s final scene.) “I’m writing for the moment after the scary…  I’m trying to be different, and I’m trying to express myself in a different way.”

As such, Williamson said his CBS drama will not be as bloody as The Following – and the hard-to-watch acts in it won’t just target females.

RELATED CBS Boss Talks Snubbed Good Wife (and Denies End Date), Defends ‘Old’ NCIS, Previews Colbert’s Late Show

“I don’t want it to become a show that’s just violence against women,” Williamson claimed, adding that the series that starts with a female potential victim will become “more balanced” as it progresses.

Williamson said he also aims to accomplish some good by exploring the traumatic subject matter. “We’re doing an entertaining show,” he continued, “but at the same time, I’m hoping to raise a little bit of awareness of this crime.”

1. Colleen says:

Is the woman in the photo supposed to be law enforcement? If so, she is violating dress code, I am sure. It is ridiculous to see her wearing a blouse that is unbuttoned down to the middle of her chest. Looks like half her shirt is unbuttoned.

2. Tran says:

Guess I’m not planning to watch Stalker when it debuts on October 1st and who knows if millions of viewers are getting scared just by watching it on a Wednesday night.

3. Tara says:

i hope some of the cases involve teens and men, because teens and men are also stalked. after all, there’re a lot of creepy and crazy people out there. mostly, i hope as the series goes on that it’s not heavily creepy/scary/bloody/horror-like, because i really like maggie q, and was waiting for her to act in another show; so i wanna like and watch this show.

4. Okay..if its a procedural I guess I won’t be watching it then. Can’t stand that type of show.

• JC says:

I love both actors but I just can’t give this show a real try. I may just watch it once. I’m just sick of procedurals.

• Pam says:

I don’t usually like procedurals either. It’s the main reason I don’t watch anything on CBS. Williamson’s name on it might be enough to get me watching the pilot but I’d hate having a different story every week. Disappointed.

5. Well of course we’re going to have the comparisons. The show does have some potential, but I’m not going to watch it..

6. Phoebe Mores says:

I so love Maggie Q, so i dont care what this show shows, as longs as Maggie is starred, I will really watch ❤❤

7. D says:

looks like a great show.. I stopped watching The Following three, four or episodes into the second season because the plot twist used to ‘resurrect’ Joe Carroll was blockish and stretched the bounds of credulity.

8. Derek says:

Watched extended preview. Can’t imagine this show making men even close to 50% of the victims. Expect it to be just one more show where the majority of violence is directed at women. The first episode showing a guy throwing gasoline on a woman has pretty much turned me off. Yep, did see there’s a subplot where a guy is a victim of a guy, but didn’t see him getting gasoline thrown on him. Granted, I work in law enforcement and the majority of stalker victims I’ve encountered are women, but that doesn’t mean I want to see that portrayed on TV. I can only imagine stalkers seeing really interesting new ways to intimidate their victims after watching this show. No thanks.

9. Mikael says:

I may have to check this out simply because Maggie Q is back on tv! I still miss Nikita, but at least it got an ending! I actually had hoped Maggie would find her way into the Marvel-verse, on Agents of SHIELD or in the films.