Shameless Taps Dermot Mulroney as Fiona's Season 5 Love Interest

Dermot Mulroney Shameless Guest Star

Is Shameless‘ Fiona Gallagher angling to be the next Bachelorette?

The Showtime dramedy has tapped Dermot Mulroney for a major Season 5 arc as a potential suitor for Emmy Rossum’s character, according to the network.

RELATED  Shameless Boss on the Finale’s Surprise Twist, Frank’s Fate and Laughing It Up at the Emmys

Mulroney, who was last seen on NBC’s ill-fated Crisis, will recur as “ex-bad boy and recovering addict” Sean Pierce, Fiona’s manager at Patsy’s Pies — where she began working in the Season 4 finale. Throughout the season-long arc, Sean will take an interest in Fiona — but he’ll have to compete with at least two other interested parties, played by Aussie actor Axle Whitehead and Tony winner Steve Kazee.

Although Mulroney will play an entirely new character, his casting essentially replaces Jeffrey Dean Morgan’s Charlie Peters, who appeared in a similar capacity at the end of Season 4.

In addition to Crisis, Mulroney’s recent TV credits include recurring roles on New Girl and Enlightened.

Shameless is slated to return in early 2015.

1. CourtTV says:

DM looks like death in this photo. Couldn’t find anything better, TVLine?

2. Joey Joe Joe Jr Shabadoo says:

50 year old man with a mid-20’s sexpot.

Yep this is Hollywood alright!

3. EJ386 says:

Eeeww! He is way to old… why can’t they find a decent love interest for her?!?

4. Yule says:

LOL nice pic of Dylan McDermott. LOL at the casting. Oy.

5. Lisa says:

Ummm no? Please no. Not only is he wayyy too old and way less interesting than JDM but hes not even that great of an actor in my opinion. Not the worst, but they can certainly do better for the role im sure of it

6. Ian says:

Wow, with all these guys circling Fiona this season, how will there be any time left for the other kids’ storylines?!

7. Jimmy says:

Eww, he’s old enough to be her father.

8. Bwhit says:

Is this a joke? I like him but he is way too old for Fiona. So last year was confronting her parents’ demons in her, so now she is going to explore her daddy issues? Just bring Jimmy/Steve/Jack and let them work on their many issues. I have read more casting for love interests for her than I care for.

• Ian says:

That’s a good question too. Why would they bring Justin Chatwin back for a surprise reveal this last finale and then not bring him back for this next season?

9. MEG says:

okay…gross.

10. rosebud says:

I not trying to be smart but I guess JDM might have felt that character (old guy with young girl) would have been hitting a little to close to his real home life for comfort

11. april-ann says:

You deleted my comment? You do know I was not the only one who commented on the picture, do you not?

12. Joey says:

I just made a comment a few hours ago on the Ask Ausiello post about how all these love interests for Fiona are a complete turn-off for me, especially if it’ll turn out to be completely fruitless with Steve/Jimmy/Jack back. Also….boo. I neither know nor care why he’s back anyways, but if they’re going to turn it into a fairytale ending for those two count me out. Plus I think with Ian’s potential bipolar disorder and Mickey’s insistence on taking care of him without help, I think that’s one huge hurdle she’ll have to overcome already.

13. Rain388 says:

So sad, I was really looking forward to JDM sticking around. I thought it was bad enough when they had New Girl’s Jess dating Dermott Mulroney, Fiona is WAAAAY too young.

14. Vin says:

Wait, i’m confused. So was JDM’s role recasted? If so, why do they have different character names?