Shonda Rhimes Shrugs Off Talk of Ending Grey's, Adding to Scandal Cast

Scandal Season 4 Casting

Grey’s Anatomy‘s pulse remains strong, and as such its creator has no plans to call time of death anytime soon.

RELATED How to Get Away With Murder EPs Defend Un-Tweetable Title

Appearing at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour on Monday morning — where she was touting ABC’s latest Shondaland drama, How to Get Away With Murder — Shonda Rhimes noted that Grey’s “is still the No. 1 drama on television, so no,” she has no plans to start eyeballing an end date. “Right now, as long as I am still interested in what happens next, I am not thinking about that.”

Grey’s this season will lead off ABC’s Thursday slate, leading into Scandal and the aforementioned Murder.

RELATED ABC’s Fall Premiere Plan: Get Return Dates for Grey’s, Scandal, Once, Revenge and More

Speaking of Rhimes’ other returning hit drama: TVLine asked if Scandal would be adding a series regular for Season 4 — possibly a new “Gladiator”? — in the wake of original castmember Columbus Short’s split with the show, where he played Harrison.

“Not yet…. I have no plans to do so, yet,” she said of filling that vacancy with fresh blood. And specifically on the topic of hiring a new OPA associate, Rhimes reminded, “When we left [off in the Season 3 finale], were there any gladiators?”

Want scoop on Grey’s or Scandal, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ashbash says:

Considering that ER ran for 15 seasons and I can easily see Grey’s anatomy lasting that long if not longer. I mean according Ellen Pompeo’s interviews she has no intentions of leaving the show until it finally dies. So if they can keep finding some type of pulse in this show why not keep it going

• Whatevah says:

I hope you’re right. I still enjoy Grey’s.

• trainwreck says:

Grey’s is the kind of show you know you will get involved no matter how much cheesy the story gets (maybe not as much as earlier seasons bu still) … although Sandra Oh has remained to be one of the strongest reason i turned true a Grey Fanatic, I still feel that i will have the same connection since her character Yang is gone… and Yes Ellen Pompeo is always an excellent performer and under-rated leading lady!

• sarah says:

I agree and I still watch Grey’s! :)

• b says:

I’ve never seen a TV Line thread of comments about Grey’s be so positive! But I agree! The show still interests me week-after-week. Is it different than what it was eight years ago? YES, and that’s a GOOD thing, people!

2. Shuayb says:

Shonda is a good writer and Greys Scandal PPP and now Murder are on my watch list but she can come off rather b!tchy sometimes… I dunno if thats just me but maybe she shouldnt be so sassy in her answers? Be gracious like Paul Lee and some of the other EPs when they answer questions…
    Looking forward to Murder… I hope they dont assasinate the character and make her a quivering mess like Olivia. A strong kick ass women.
    Also we need season 1 Olivia back. She was vulnerable but she was also strong. She just devolved. It was sick.

3. Susan says:

Ms Rhimes does not even write anymore for GA. or at least she barely writes. all her Focus is on her other Shows. GA storylines suffered in Quality since S9. Badly.Now with Oh gone it will get worse. plus it has the most alarming time Slot. 8 pm. cd watch sesamstreet as well. its obvious that the main cast stays for Money. certainly not bc of the challenges their roles offer.

4. Eric says:

What bothered me about what she said was her comment about it being the #1 drama on TV right now. So what? It shouldn’t matter if it’s the #1 drama. The show hasn’t been good for seasons now. The majority of the main cast (and fan favorites) have left the show. From what I see, it gets more criticism than it does praise at this point. They’ve been going for 10 years. It’s time to end the show.

• Lily says:

Eric – it really sounds like you don’t know what you’re talking about … I get the feeling you haven’t watched Greys lately? The fact that Patrick Dempsey, Ellen Pompeo, Justin Chambers, Chandra Wilson, James Pickens Jr. are still going strong – and they are ALL originals – invalidates your whole “a majority of the main cast” has left. As far as fan favorites, Meredith & Derek have been favorites since episode one of Greys … still there. Callie & Arizona plus April & Jackson also have huge fan followings … still there. But, I have to have a giggle at the whole “It shouldn’t matter if it’s the #1 drama.” Ummm, have you taken basic economics? If there are viewers, advertisers will pay the networks for commercials. So, not only does it matter – it is essential. People like these characters. They are invested in them and have been for a long time. Therefore, people continue to tune in and the network continues to make money off the show. It’s a great show with a lot of heart, and any criticism I see towards it is almost always someone like you who probably hasn’t watched in years and has no clue.

5. mark says:

Grey’s should have gone off about 4 years ago, the show is a shell of its former self. Shonda should realize its best for shows to go out on top than to spend years on the air dying a slow painful death.

• TinLV says:

I disagree. Grey’s is still a top show and one of the best on TV. If I watch nothing else on network TV the whole week, Grey’s will always be the one. I like Scandal too, but if I miss an epi, it doesn’t ruin my whole week.

6. nunya says:

Isn’t NCIS the number one drama?

7. Paul says:

I agree NCIS is THE NUMBER ONE DRAMA ON TELEVISION.

8. Cdeno says:

Well I think Shonda should start making plans. There is no way Grey’s will survive at 8pm. What medical drama has ever aired at 8pm and been successful?

If Shonda was so excited a out Grey’s stil she would a) still be writing episodes and b) talk about it on twitter more the the obligatory “its on tonight”.

Since Grey’s is still the highest ranked show on ABC one would think they would use that in their advertising and such. As it stands Greys gets the least promotion of any show on that network.

9. Sarah says:

Well NCIS is (and has been) the actual #1 drama on TV…but gotta love blind enthusiasm!

10. acurat says:

The new time slot is a challenge for Grey’s Antomy – Flashforward, Missing, Charlie’s Angels, Once upon a time in Wonderland – all one season and done for ABC. Ever since Ugly Betty lasted two years at 8 pm on Thursday it has been like clockwork at the network (I left the clock show out of my listing here which was also one and done). Unfortunately for ABC and Grey’s Anatomy, it is probably going to be the final resting place for the show. It lasts one (or if lucky) two seasons more and they call it a day due to declining ratings – past history says this will happen. Count on it.

• la vega says:

Diehard Grey’s fans will follow it to the ends on the earth, no matter the time slot. Besides, Shonda’s got Thursdays on lock! It’s going to be TGIF all over again. ..

11. whocares44 says:

No.. They have one more year on there contracts…
    So that will make season 12…….Unless ABC wants to eat a hand full of contracts…..
    I think not! It will be on for years yet….Hope son…

• Actors often time sign contracts for a number of years, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that she show will or has to run that much longer. Just because they have a two year contract doesn’t mean there has to be 12 seasons. After season 11 the network has to decide whether or not it wants to pick up the show again.