Arrow EP Teases Season 3's Big Bad, a Big 'Date' and Non-Oliver Flashbacks

Arrow Season 3 Olicity Romance

After Greg Berlanti appeared at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour to tout the new NBC drama The Mysteries of Laura, TVLine reached out to the uber-producer to solve the mysteries of Arrow Season 3.

PHOTOS Stars From Arrow and Other Shows Go Back to Work!

Echoing that which series lead Stephen Amell shared with TVLine at the may Upfronts, the Arrow EP said that the next Big Bad will “feel different” from Season 2’s Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke. That said, the incoming adversary “has some personal elements of connectivity to Oliver, which we’ll learn about” — in part via flashbacks, Berlanti allowed. “Hopefully, fans of the DC Universe will be really pleased by who it is.”

RELATED Arrow Targets ‘Superman’ Brandon Routh to Play a DC Comics Superhero

Speaking of the show’s flashback device, Berlanti said that Season 3 will “not just flash back from Oliver’s perspective.” As the hit drama has done on rare occasion with the likes of Laurel and Diggle, “There’s some backstory stuff that’s going to come out for some of the other characters.”

One provocative Season 3 plot point that will very much take place in the here and now, meanwhile, involves Oliver, a certain blonde beauty and the popping of a question.

As revealed in the official logline for Season 3, “with Arrow now a hero,” crime down in Starling City and while “basking in his success,” “Oliver believes he can finally have a private life and asks Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) out on a date.”

RELATED Arrow‘s Stephen Amell Shoots Down Batman V Superman Speculation

Berlanti told TVLine that rather than standing alone as a brief blurb within a larger logline, there’s a “better context” for the proposition in question.  But yes, it is happening.

“They’re real characters to us, and they had that conversation on the beach, and they had that conversation in the house to help capture Slade,” Berlanti reminds. “So the question you have to ask is: Does Oliver have real, genuine emotions for her? And how aware is he of that? And how aware does he make her of that? That is an active part of the season this year.”

1. Yasmine says:

OLICITY <3 <3 <3 big yaaaaaaaaaaaay :D :D can't wait till October <3 <3
    never in my life shiped a couple like them <3 <3 they're so amazing <3
    I'm so happy that the writers and the producers ship them too <3

2. Caroline says:

omg! I’m so excited hehehe can’t contain myself. I just hope that Oliver will not chicken out once things heated up between them.

3. Amber says:

Really looking forward to this season. I hope some of those flashbacks involve Felicity-great way to get some backstory. Excited for the Big Bad this season too. And of course, OLICITY! This will also be Endgame for me, I just hope the show runners (and fans of course) agree with me.

4. Alynn says:

I wouldn’t say I’m a big Olicity fan but I like Felicity. Maybe Oliver won’t be such a raging douche with her. And at least it’s not as creepy as him sleeping with sisters and one then one of them sleeping with his best friend and then he sleeps with both of them AGAIN. And don’t forget he slept with his father’s mistress lol and Thea had a crush on her half brother. And they say they’re not a standard CW show yeah right. Either the writers don’t understand comic fans don’t want to see this or they’re pervs or both. Like if I wanted to watch that crap I’d be a Vampire Diaries fan.

• A says:

It’s funny that they think they’re not a “typical” CW show. I think Oliver has sister swapped more times than Elena brother swapped and I’m pretty sure Oliver has had more Love Interests than Chuck Bass lol

• Sarah says:

Thank you for saying that about Oliver. My biggest reason why I don’t want him with Laurel is because he cheated on her numerous times (including got another woman pregnant) and cheated with her own sister. And not just when they were younger but he flaunted his relationship with Sara in Laurel’s face in the present day, surely knowing how much that might hurt her. How anyone could want Laurel and Oliver to end up together after that baffles me so much! Felicity on the other hand doesn’t have such a toxic history with Oliver and he respects her and he’s allowed to be himself with her – the new Oliver who is fighting for what is right. He should have a fresh start with her, not bounce between two sisters. It’s disgusting. It really grosses me out.

• Alynn says:

I don’t ship anything on this show really but I’m 1000% anti-Oliver when he’s with the Lance sisters and that’s a problem if he’s supposed to be a hero. Maybe some men are okay with it because it’s wish fulfillment fantasy starring sisters, but I think it’s weird. I like Sara and I’m holding out hope they can get Laurel’s character together, but that love triangle past and present is disturbing. If they try to fix it now they’d have to recycle a lot of angst and they’ve taken up enough of Oliver/Arrow’s story with it already. Some weeks it’s like Arrow with villains and cool stunts and others it’s like Days of Our Lives. If they can pull off Oliver with another female and lessen the drama, go for it.

5. Claire says:

Yum! What fun news! I hope some of those flashbacks are for Felicity and more for Diggle as well (would like to meet his brother). Wonder just who the big bad could be though? Someone apparently that goes back to his Hong Kong days.

And Oliver and Felicity? Well, count me in on this! Love the dynamic of the these two! So excited for the coming Season what with Felicity backstory (*ahem*), Diggle and HIVE, the addition of catalyst Ray Palmer and now the news that Sara is returning. Full season booked! Just don’t forget Felicity and her backstory! please!

6. A says:

Looks like Sara is in episode 3×01 and episode 3×02 is called “Sara”.

7. A says:

I have never been as personally invested as I am in a TV character as I am with Felicity. I honestly would not be watching Arrow if she was not on it. All it would be is Oliver being super serious and Laurel breathing weird, and the whole thing would be too intense and melodramatic. Felicity lightens the show up and brings the comic relief. I really enjoy the way she throws Oliver off his game and says hilarious things to break up his seriousness. They are so fun to watch together. Seriously, is it September yet? I don’t think I can wait that long. Thank you for the scoop! Please give us more!

• Briggs says:

I’m sorry to tell you this, but you’ll have to wait until October. :( That’s when Arrow comes back (and Flash premieres!).

• Sarah says:

I was gonna stop watching Arrow until Felicity showed up. I stayed for her. She’s an amazing character (and actress). She brings something to the show that no one else does.

• A says:

I literally did stop watching but then decided to give it a try again towards the end of season 1 and then kept watching because of Felicity

8. azu says:

Oliver is too randy. Can’t he stay without a girl? Must he dip his love stick somewhere. He needs to learn how to be by himself. The writers should let him be by himself. Anyway as long as he’s not with lauraline, I don’t really mind

9. Yesi says:

Here how I feel about Laurel I don’t like her, like people don’t like Felicity or find her annoying I find Laurel annoying. Laurel/actor never felt right to me, and that’s just personal taste of what I expect from a character that is to be BC, (plus I like Sara better) the end. Moving on I’m excited for flashbacks, new villains, no Island …can we talk about that! S3 feels like a new start, rebirth of the series. I can’t wait for new flashbacks of other then Oliver. Diggle is going to be a dad! there still the “Oliver dad” is he or not question out there Moira took that to the grave (sad face, I will actually miss her I think). And Thea going dark side,that’s exciting she growing on me so I can’t wait to see what they do with her character and Merlyn is back. Roy….Olicity is totally organic, and don’t need to rush, I’m all for it and to me is a plus of the show.

10. JeyB says:

Am I Dead? Is this real life?? Is it October yet?

11. Snarkasm says:

A S3 Olicity couldn’t be good for Felicity. Oliver us the guy who can’t commit, be honest with such feelings, oh, yeah, and that thing where he slept with Sara and betrayed Laural. Again. I was hoping for a late S3 Olicity after Oliver demonstrates significant personal growth and demonstrated ability to be in a healthy relationship.

I ship Olicity hard, but I love Felicity, and I want what’s best for her. I kind of hope she turns him down-for now.

12. Oracle says:

I think one thing I’d like to see…is them to kinda bring Felicity to a place where she creates the ‘Oracle’ persona…starts offering to help OTHER heroes (like Flash) etc. With Barbara Gordon back as Batgirl in the New 52…having Felicity take Oracle’s place here…could lead to them bringing Oracle back to the DCU.

13. brenna says:

Extremely excited about Season 3 for many reasons! I hope it will be a great season for continued growth with Oliver and Felicty’s relationship. They really are fun to watch.

14. Mikael says:

I hope there’s less of Roy standing there scowling and shaking with rage, which seems to be his default expression. And lose the hoodie already! I hope we get to see Thea training with Merlyn too. If CW were to make another DC show, I would die if they made one with Black Canary and Nyssa with Helena to make a new Birds of Prey.

15. Kae says:

I for one am tired of the flash backs

• Trish says:

I’m tired of the flashbacks that cover the same people. I’d love to see flashbacks used for the character development of other characters I care a great deal about.

16. ANNE says:

Olicity better be endgame. They are so good together.

17. Briggs says:

First of all, the big bad keeps sounding better. It’s always a good thing when there’s a personal connection (or two? three?). It just makes it that much juicier later. It’s sounding a lot like Amanda Waller, but I would never have called Slade as a Green Arrow villain, if you asked me before the series started, so it could be someone I’m not thinking of right now.
    Ah, the date. It could literally mean anything, but Stephen Amell said (I believe at Arizona Comic-Con) that we would know within the first few eps how Oliver felt about Felicity, so maybe it could be then. There might be a time jump, seeing as Barry was in a coma for nine months prior to the Flash premiere, and I think it had only been three, four months on Arrow since the explosion. So… it’s feasible. Though it would be very funny if he goes to ask her and finds out she’s already going out with Ray that weekend. That might be a fun love triangle to watch. :)

What that means for the relationship…. I don’t know. Oliver, for all his faults, is a good man who tries to do good things, post-Island. But he went through a lot of trauma in those five years, so he’s emotionally stunted, in my view. I see a lot of comedic moments of trial and error as he tries to start something with the IT girl. That combined with Felicity being awkward because she’s Felicity and we might have comic gold. LOL Yeah, I’m looking forward to this.

As for Laurel (who was not mentioned at all in the article but of course wound up on the comments), as long as they write her the way they did in the last few episodes, I’m all for her storyline. She just needs to bulk up, because no Canary I know is that thin. But, I could be wrong. You never know.

• Sarah says:

There will be a time jump, like last season. It will be 5 months again – the length of the summer hiatus. I read that the EP’s like to keep things in ‘real time.’

Also, I think when Stephen Amell said that we’d find out if Oliver had feelings for Felicity, he meant the date. I don’t think he’d ask her out if he didn’t have feelings for her. It’s obviously something he’s thought about during those 5 months. It must go to hell but I guess the relevant info is that he wants to date Felicity.

Laurel has a long way to go before she’s ready to be BC. I’d be happy if she didn’t end up as BC until season 4 or 5. There’s no way she can compete on the same level as Sara who has five years training with the LoA. They need to write her arc properly and in a believable way. If she just starts randomly fighting, I’ll lose all respect for the writers tbh.

• Briggs says:

I thought I read that somewhere, but I was wondering if I’d just imagined it because no one else seemed to know.
        Might be the date. Though he said episodes, so I’m curious as to what the lead up is going to be. Bound to be entertaining
        Well, if they keep giving Laurel good writing, it could be a thing. But yeah, it’ll be a while before she dons the fishnets. A long while.

18. Arsenal says:

Those who want Felicity & Oliver to get together and stay together are wishful thinkers. It’s got a snowball’s chance in H*** of happening. There’s also the fact that she’s not his type as evidenced by the show.

In my opinion, the only thing that makes Felicity unique is she hasn’t been with Oliver. If that happens, she’ll be like every other female on the show. Doesn’t everyone know superheroes are destined to be alone? :)

If you couldn’t tell, I’m not big on romance when it comes to TV.

• Sierra says:

Agreed. I don’t want Felicity to just become another item on Oliver’s ‘To Do List’. People can argue that “it could be different with them” or “Oliver isn’t the same person & he only cheats on Laurel, so Felicity has a chance!” That’s ridiculous. By the way, I’m not pointing out anyone in particular…it’s just what I think some people might say. Everyone is entitled to their opinions & I respect that…whether they’re a little strange or not.

• Briggs says:

Seriously, guys? We’re doing this again? There are two other threads above that hash this out. Please don’t start a third. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, and just because you think it’s strange doesn’t mean you get to put it down. And yes, that’s what you’re doing when you call it ‘ridiculous.’ Other people in this comment section have been a bit more ‘live and let live’ about it. They actually *celebrate* other POVs. And their validity.

• Sierra says:

Well, excuse me. I was simply agreeing with this person. You didn’t have to respond to it & try to “politely” let me know what I already know…which is everyone’s entitled to their opinions. That’s exactly what I said. I’m not putting anything or anyone down. I can disagree with something just like you can. I never said anything rude towards anybody & I don’t plan to. I was saying that the statement I made about Oliver only cheating on Laurel, so Felicity had a chance was ridiculous. I don’t know if anybody else said that or not. If so, I apologize for not agreeing with it. If everybody liked or agreed with the same thing, the world would be a boring place. Again, I RESPECT other people’s opinions. Yes, they may seem strange to me, but I STILL respect them, nonetheless.

• Sierra says:

Furthermore, I don’t reply to those whom I disagree with because that’s their opinion, & I’m not trying to change it or say they’re wrong to think that.

• Briggs says:

How is calling others’ opinions ‘strange’ and ‘ridiculous’ in any way respectful? Would you think it was respectful if it was directed at your opinion? It looks like you wouldn’t. So how is it okay for you? I didn’t say that about your opinion. You can say you don’t agree, but labeling them is rude.

• Sierra says:

For the love of Pete, I don’t even know if anybody made those statements in the first place. People can say my opinions are strange all they want. I don’t care. And no, you didn’t say my opinion was strange or ridiculous, but you won’t let up on the fact that I said, “Everyone is entitled to their opinions & I respect that…whether they’re a little strange or not.” It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of “Olicity”. That’s all. If people are for it, then so be it. I’m not going to tell them what to think. Would it make you feel any better if I apologized? Because I’m sorry you feel that I labeled other people’s opinions as strange. I find it very difficult to communicate through the Internet because people take things the wrong way. I didn’t mean anything by it. Honest. Again, I’m sorry.

• Briggs says:

I accept the apology, just be careful with your words. Especially on the ‘net. I’m not even mad, just wanted to let you know how that came off.

• Sierra says:

Thanks. I appreciate that. I’ll try to make myself more clear if I ever post anything again. This was my first time doing so, & I really tried not to offend anyone. I’m not that kind of person. I’ll make sure not to call anyone’s opinions strange from now on. Lesson learned: Gotta be careful how you word things on the interweb. :)

• Briggs says:

Probably best not to mention other opinions. :) Leave them out entirely. Like you said, you don’t know these people. Saying you think Olicity, the pairing, is strange? Perfectly okay, though you might get people asking why you feel that way.

19. Joe says:

Here for more Digg (always more Digg. A L W A Y S.) and Felicity and Roy and hoping like heck for flashbacks of Sara joining the League please please please! I want Sara on the show always and forever.

(I am going to miss Susanna Thompson so much next season. Why did they have to go and get rid of the best actor on the show?)

20. L says:

I like Olicity, but it is absolutely irritating that nobody ever talks about anything else. This show is so much more than that. I’d like to know what they plan on doing with Merlyn and Thea, how Nightwing will be integrated into the show, and if there are any plans for Cheshire to appear.

• Briggs says:

I got the impression that Fox had purchased the whole Batman franchise, which includes Nightwing, so I don’t think we’re getting him. :( I would think Roy’s filling in for Nightwing, as it were. I hate it when people bring in the comic book argument, but the original Speedy *was* kind of an archer version of the original Robin, who became Nightwing. So it would make sense, in a way.

There are rumors that Thea could be Artemis or Cheshire, but nothing substantial. Cheshire could come through and ‘help’ Roy forget about Thea, but I’m putting my money on it being Thea. Still, the other option is not only plausible, but would make for a great story.

• Vicki says:

L, I have no idea if you are on Twitter or not, but the writers have started the hashtag #AskArrow in advance if their big Comic Con showing. These all sound like excellent questions to pose.

• Snarkasm says:

Arrow gained me as a fan because of Felicity, really. It’s taken most of my life but I can finally admit I am a nerd, and a smart one at that. At this point Felicity is very innocent, and not the girl who attracts all the male attention (like I would expect a Laurel to), and is comparatively modest in her atire. (When she wears something va va voom it’s noticed, like when Oliver noticed right off the bat when she was wearing the workout top-heck Sara fights in the world’s most poweful push up bra, so her form is already way out there). When Felicity wore her “boob” dress, I thought she seemed a little uncomfortable in it. Maybe I’m reading into that.

Bottom line, what smart woman can’t relate to being friendzoned by the handsome hero?

I can’t tell you how many gazillions of drinks men bought me based on my scintillating banter (If you guessed zero then you probably can). Okay, to be fair I never really liked bars.

Can you blame a whole cadre of quirky smart women who want the quirky smart IT woman to get the hot hero ? ;) I came for the abs and action, I stayed for the glasses. WIthout Felicity, I wouldn’t be nearly as invested in this show. I want her happiness. If that’s not Oliver, fine.

While shipping may drive others crazy, it has me hooked on this show. I try to remember that these shows have very real, powerful, different draws for different people.

• JC1 says:

How Nightwing will be integrated? Since when have they confirmed that Nightwing is even appearing?

• Vicki says:

I think that mention probably stemmed from the Steven R McQueen post earlier this summer. But those rumors were subsequently shot down.

21. kath says:

Matt, I’ve just read the latest spoilers for for Arrow, and I want to know why there is never, ever any story about Felicity herself. When there is a spoiler for her, it’s always about Oliver, or Ray, or her lie to Roy, or how Laurel is going to react after hearing Oliver say he loves Felicity. Not about Felicity herself, or what she’s doing, or her background.

Meanwhile, there are a lot for Diggle in terms of his new family and the suicide squad, Thea working with Malcolm Meryln, Roy adapting to his new role on the team and a new romance, Sara’s return with Nyssa, Laurel working in the DA’s office, Quentin’s new role as chief, and of course Oliver getting back his family’s company as well as

But Felicity, my favorite character on the show, never gets a story that’s just about her. They use her when they want the audience to like a new character like Barry or Roy but two years and 42 episodes into the series, she has no friends other than Oliver and Diggle and the number of facts we know about her can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Are we ever going to get a story that is about Felicity herself rather than the role she plays in someone else’s arc?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Patience. I had all of two minutes with Greg the other day, and my emailbox overfloweth with people asking about The Date. So I asked. We’re seeing the EPs tonight, Felicity backstory is top of our list.

• kath says:

Matt, I love you. (Almost as much as I love Felicity.) :-D

Thank you. I promise to keep reading your articles as long as you write them.

22. Yulisa says:

OMG !!! I cant wait I don’t care if the writers give us olicity this season and than take away as long as they get back together and ends with them getting married and having their own children …felicity is just the ONE for Oliver no question asked ….this is by far my all time favorite show Ever all I think about it Olicity ….:p

23. Felicity is wonderful in the series. i do love how she has matured in her partnership with Oliver. I hope they just stay as a partnership and close friends. Oliver and Felicity both need a shoulder to lean on and be truthful with not another love affair. I hope with laurel maturing that she and Oliver will reconnect

24. I really like Felicity and Oliver the way the are withou a love connection. it would make it difficult for both of them to continue working together if things go wrong as we know they will. As Diggle has said to Oliver before…many times i might add…IT IS ALWAYS LAUREL.

25. I love watching the Arrow. I can’t wait to see series #3.

26. Briggs says:

Laurel needs a new love interest. Sebastian Blood doesn’t count. Felicity *kinda* had Barry (might have Ray), Sara has Nyssa, Laurel needs someone new. That should totally be part of her arc this year. The (unrelated by blood) ladies of Arrow deserve more than to moon after Oliver. He won’t have his act really together until season 5, anyway. Why season 5? Because that’s when he gets to officially come home.

Not saying the new guy has to stick around, people, just that Laurel needs someone new. I’d say uncomplicated, but the show being what it is…

27. Ms Thing says:

I couldn’t care less about Olicity. The producers should remember that season 2 was compelling not because of any star-crossed love affair but because the villains have significant weight and the stakes were real.
    The Skye-Wade drama on Agents of Shield drags that show and this Olicity fanservice is what will make check out the competition.

28. megan says:

I really hope Oliver and Felicity get together, they are just so perfect for each other and they bring the best out in each other!

29. I hope it’s Brick.

30. arrowfan says:

well Brick is on “The list” and seem to be season 3 villain will be partly connected in flashback