Teen Wolf's Dylan Sprayberry on Liam's Big Change: 'Scott Feels Really Bad'

teen-wolf-liam

After months of (social media) fanfare, Dylan Sprayberry‘s Liam finally showed his face on last week’s Teen Wolf — and wasted no time getting mixed up in Beacon Hills’ supernatural drama.

RELATED Teen Wolf Recap: Fresh Meat

Below, Sprayberry gives TVLine a taste of what’s to come for Liam, and how well he’ll fit into Scott’s tight-knit pack. (Plus: Liam may be able to hold his own against a wendigo — but will Sprayberry fare as well against Teen Wolf fans?)

TVLINE | The wait is finally over. I feel like MTV has been hyping Liam up for months now.
Yeah, they have been. They’re really good at it, too.

TVLINE | The fans have been excited, too. How aware were you of this show’s fandom before you started?
I wasn’t expecting the response I got. Dylan [O'Brien] and Tyler [Posey] told me all about them.

TVLINE | Did they give you any pointers?
They were just like, “Our fans are crazy, so say funny stuff and don’t say anything that’ll make the show or yourself look bad.”

TVLINE | Of course. Now, we’ve met Liam as a human, but how is he going to react to this major change in his life?
It’s definitely going to be a problem for him. Being in a public high school as a freshman, everything changes. It’s a different game than middle school, which is all fun and games. It adds another thing to that problem of having to fit in. And it’ll be even harder for him to fit in now that he knows all about the secret supernatural stuff.

TVLINE | I spoke with Shelley Hennig about trying on her fangs and claws for the first time. How was your fitting?
Oh, I can’t say anything about that.

TVLINE | You can’t talk about being a wolf?
No, because we don’t know [if he's a wolf] yet.

TVLINE | Hmm… OK, we’ll just say he knows about all of the supernatural goings-on. Is he going to integrate himself into Scott’s pack?
He does get to meet everyone. The whole pack gets involved with him. Obviously, Scott tells the pack about what he did and that he’s ashamed of it. Scott feels really bad about it.

TVLINE | Is Scott going to become a mentor of sorts for Liam?
Definitely. That’s the kind of person Scott is; he’s someone who helps people. He also takes [responsibility] for it. He has to explain to Liam what happened what’s going on in this crazy town. Scott definitely doesn’t abandon him.

TVLINE | Being a part of a supernatural show is new for you. How was filming that first episode with the wendigo battle?
It’s totally different when you’re acting scared because someone has a gun pointed at your face. It’s hard to get used to being scared by a werewolf or a wendigo, because that’s not a normal human thing.

teen-wolf-garrettTVLINE | Outside of the pack, Liam has a few human friends — Garrett, for example, we met last week — so how is this big change going to affect his friendships with them?
He doesn’t tell any of them about what happened or what he’s seen, because he can’t. It’s not his secret to tell, it’s Scott’s, which is a really hard thing for him. We’ll get to see him struggle with that along the way.

TVLINE | What about romance? Is anyone catching Liam’s eye this season?
Not this season, not so far. But maybe sometime in the future. Maybe sophomore year.

TVLINE | Yeah, wow, I keep forgetting Liam’s only a freshman. You’re the only real teen on Teen Wolf right now. Are you having a different experience, being younger than the rest of the cast?
Yeah, I actually just turned 16 a few days ago. It’s not weird because I hang out with adults a lot. And Dylan and Tyler … they don’t act immature, but they definitely act like teenagers. They have the same interests as I do, and they don’t make it feel like there’s any separation between us.

TVLINE | Are you looking forward to driving yourself to set someday?
Oh, yes! I wish I’d started studying for my permit last year; I’m just starting now and I won’t be able to drive until next year. … I don’t think my mom was ready for me to start practicing yet.

Teen Wolf fans, what are your early thoughts on Liam and his place in the pack? Any hopes for him this season? Drop your every thought in the comments section below.

1. Marcus T. says:

Teen Wolf should just get rid of the entire old cast/ have them graduate and start fresh with Liam since this show has so many casting changes.

2. rod says:

Why didnt this show just gave this storyline to one of its under-used players? The Liam as as Scott`s first wolf storyline could have fitted probably anyone.

3. alistaircrane says:

Is Liam Danny’s new love interest? Or is that Mason Dye’s character?

• Andrea says:

It’s very unlikely Danny will get more than a walk on part. As Keahu Kahuanui said in response to a recent question.

Q “What’s it like being part of Teen Wolf?”
      A “You’ll have to ask them.”

Perhaps right there is the answer why so many actors have left the show, Jeff Davis awful attitude toward his actors.

• J.B. says:

“…Jeff Davis awful attitude toward his actors.”

I’d add “and the fans”.

• Yeah, Jeff Davis is terrible. Like, he’s letting actors out of contracts if they wish. He lets them mold their characters and listens to their suggestions (Arden wanted more humor, Shelley more action and humor, Seth more action, Holland wanted Lydia to be a genius, Crystal co-wrote Allison’s death scene). He brings back actors who should’ve been just in one or two episodes because they were that good (Meagan Tandy). He gave Aaron Hendry the part of Brunski to let him shine, since nobody knew what he looked like playing the Nogitsune… Yeah, terrible, terrible man. That’s why Linden Ashby said Jeff Davis treated them all like family and that there weren’t many producers like him, so kind to his actors – but yeah, I bet Jeff was twisting his arm while he was saying that. Terrible, I agree.

• J.B. says:

The character of Danny is gone from the show. It was brought up at a TW convention this weekend that Jeff Davis felt he had nowhere else to take the character storyline wise. Danny doesn’t even appear in S4.

• EJ386 says:

A shame but understandable as Jackson and Ethan were his ties to the group, with them both gone it his hard to keep the character relevant.

• J.B. says:

Then why bring in two actors that will serve as Jackson 2.0 and Danny 2.0? With the four new actors coming on and with what Holland said about fans might not like this season I’m wondering which original cast members will be left.

• EJ386 says:

Because they had a plan for Jackson and Danny but without Jackson it wouldn’t work, they might still want to show us a variation on that. We have only really lost 2 original cast members, Jackson and Alison. It is a shame we won’t get more Danny but he never really had a central role. Scot, Stiles, Derek, Peter, Lydia, Coach and the parents are still around. That isn’t a bad score for it being the fourth season of a supernatural show in which nothing is all sunshine and rainbows.

• J.B. says:

@EJ386
          You may be right about Danny. He was just a token character anyway.

• J.B. says:

Mason played by Khylin Rhambo will be the new Danny. Mason Dye’s character, Garrett is the new Jackson. So they basically are reusing the same character “types” (Jackson & Danny) but with new actors and characters.

4. Mary Kate says:

Great interview, thank Andy! Can we get some Stiles/Lydia scoop?

5. Michael says:

Should we be insulted that they called their “Fans” crazy because sorry I don’t like to be bought off with cheap humor. And his response to that question just made him, Posey, and Dylan O’Brien look bad

• J.B. says:

I thought the same thing LOL I don’t mind being called a “crazy fan” of anything as that is usually a term of endearment. However, after seeing some of Tyler P.’s video interviews, I’m more inclined to think he actually means CRAZY when he says that.

• Tricia says:

Yes i felt the exact same way! Calling us “crazy” just sounds derogatory due to the manner he said it. As if we are brainless fools that can be brought off with dimwitted humor. Yes we do love the show, and show our enthusiasm towards it with diligence, but I for one do not take this particular form of “crazy” as a compliment or anything remotely close! And now it just seems like everything Tyler or Dylan did in the past, that was supposedly funny, was all just an act for their crazy fans.
      We are devoted to people who undermine the root of our being- our intellect, maybe we are crazy afterall.. :/

• I am a fan and I agree with him. This fandom is absolutely terrible. The worst I’ve been in and I remember the good old days of Gundam Wing.

• Niko says:

Probably but tbh this fandom is pretty awful so…

• Joey says:

Maybe those fans should try not being crazy then.

6. Jess says:

I think he means that the fans are crazy about the show, not that we are crazy. I like that they are bringing in new characters and keeping most of the old. I love Derek Hale. He’s so yummy.

7. ali says:

omg they are so telling truth when the say that there are some crazy fans, obsessed even. Lol Teen Wolf is an amazing show and they have really good actors and actresses but man some fans are CRAZY.

8. Pauline says:

I love Liam! He is very beautiful and cute. He is my new favorite character. :-)